Vox by Nicholson Baker

Vox (1992)

by Nicholson Baker

A clever idea: I think Nicholson Baker is using sex as a metaphor for the relationship between the author and the reader. He is not the first to do this (didn't Jerzy Kosinksi do this in Steps?)but he certainly develops the idea in subtle ways.
Anyone else think this is what's happening in this story? ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
Awful people talking about their awful lives and thoughts and fantasies and it's awful. Pretentious contrived smug ridiculous ect. ect. Only for people who talk *around* books, YKWIM. ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
I heard good things about this book which prompted me to read it. Its a new concept of writing for me as it is all based around one phonecall. One erotic phonecall nevertheless. And although, rather interesting, there was also some moments where I was a little bored.
Its not however, for the faint hearted and I probably wouldn't read it in public! The ending was good, I like the way they ended this long erotic conversation. ( )
  Nataliec7 | Oct 22, 2017 |
Rereading this, I realized it is not simply Nicholson Baker being daring about sex, it is actually both a satire and an examination of the shallowness of our connections and our sexuality. A tragedy, but one which contains the seeds of "House of Holes", his comedy about the same subject. ( )
  nmele | May 3, 2016 |
One long phone sex conversation. Maybe this novel would have appealed to me in the 90's, when I was in college, but I found it dated and self-indulgent. ( )
  dulcinea14 | Sep 18, 2014 |
"What are you wearing?" he asked.

Baker has written a novel that remaps the territory of sex--solitary and telephonic, lyrical and profane, comfortable and dangerous. Written in the form of a phone conversation between two strangers, Vox is an erotic classic that places the author in the first rank of America's major writers. Reading tour.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:53 -0400)

Two lonely people separated by hundreds of miles meet on a 900 number party line and share their most intimate sexual fantasies, secrets, and perversities.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,869,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible