Three Girls and a Wedding by Rachel Schurig

Three Girls and a Wedding (edition 2011)

by Rachel Schurig

Series: Three Girls (2)

Jen Campbell loves weddings. In fact, she loves them so much that she became an event planner in the hopes that she would one day get the chance to help women create the fairy tale day of their dreams...Unfortunately, the only thing Jen has been allowed to plan so far are boring restaurant openings and children's birthday parties.When Jen's big break finally comes, she realizes that wedding planning is a heck of a lot more complicated than picking out the perfect flowers and cake.Add to the chaos a pair of fighting friends, a totally pressuring mother, and a ridiculously gorgeous (but moody) best man, and Jen has her work cut out for her.In Three Girls and a Wedding, Jen Campbell will try to plan the perfect wedding and maybe-just maybe-create her very own happily-ever-after.… (more)
Member:katepolicani
Title:Three Girls and a Wedding
Authors:Rachel Schurig
Info:CreateSpace (2011), Paperback, 268 pages

Three Girls and a Wedding by Rachel Schurig

2014 (1) chick lit (2) ebook (1) fiction (1) insomniac-reads (2) Kindle (3) novel (1) PQ (1) read (1) Read - Kobo (1) romance (2) series (1) to-read (2)

I felt meh towards the first book because I realized that Ginny bugged me. This one centers on Jen who is doing what she can to move up the ranks at her PR firm. Jen cares about Ginny and Annie a lot and honestly I was on her side the whole book. I thought that Ginny and Josh sucked and so did Annie towards the end. I don't know if I would have been so cool about forgive and forget. I did think it was weird though that Jen said she loved her love interest and all these two did was kiss I think twice in this book. I literally went huh. That happened way too fast with no real build-up so that's the main reason it gets four stars.

"Three Girls and a Wedding" picks up several months after the last book. Ginny is newly engaged to Josh and now Jen promises to do what she can to help plan Ginny's wedding. It's also the same time that Jen gets a coveted position to help co-plan the wedding of the year between Kiki Barker (socialite) and her fiancee.

I always felt the most engaged with the character of Jen. Probably because she loves to cook and is the one always calming down her friends when they start fighting. Jen has some baggage though. Her father is a recovering alcoholic, and though her mom has moved on and remarried, she often pushes Jen to be the best she can be at her job.

I didn't really like Ginny or Annie much in this book. I think that Schruig could have done something interesting here and focus on the fact that Jen has a job that will cause her to not be there all the time to just hang out with her friends. They put down her job and acted like she was obsessed. And I wanted to shake them. When I got my job in DC after grad school my friends who were still searching, or doing something that was okay, but they were not in love with acted like I was lame for not wanting to go out every night and get drunk. I finally realized I was going to have to think about my career and make sure I made time for my friends, but not to the detriment of everything else.

Jen has two love interests in this one, one is straight up a jerk and the other is okay. I just didn't warm up to him and kind of got annoyed that the character of Kiki kept trying to force them together. I already said the whole I love you thing was odd as hell when it came out. They had been on zero dates at this point.

The writing was good, and the book moves at a fairly even pace. I think that we should have been given some more moments with both love interests and also have Jen have more dialogue with Ginny and Annie.

The ending was a HEA for Ginny and a HFN for Jen. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Why is it that we girls are always forced to choose between love and career? Jen Campbell thinks she has made the right decision, sacrificing her own romance for the career of her dreams: planning weddings. NoLimits, a premiere event planning firm in Detroit, Jen is pushing for the top. Her hopes look like they'll become reality when she lands a supporting role planning a gala wedding week for local mogul, David Barker's pampered daughter, Kiki. Though she is undercut for the lead role by smarmy Jason Richardson, this is still her chance. Determined to make her name known, she pulls out all the stops.
A foil to her hectic career is her beloved, peaceful home-life, living with her two best friends, Ginny and Annie and Danny, Ginny's little boy. The highlight of her day is time spent at home with her friends, which is an enormous conflict with her career goals.
To make things even more hectic, Ginny asks Jen to plan her wedding at the same time as the career-making Barker wedding. Can Jen have a career and a life? Will she end up with Matt, the groom's hot brother, will she find common ground with the self-centered and douchetastic Jason, or will she end up alone? Will she even survive?
I have to admit my dark secret, that I love those shows where brides pick out dresses. I even used to watch the wedding story shows with every detail of weddings, but I watched too many and burned myself out on them. Still, I have an incurable love for all the girly, frilly, fabulous fun! This book was all that and an Amsale dress. Though it was a second in a series, there was nothing preventing me from enjoying the full story without having read the previous book. All the characters were fun and interesting. The plot never lagged and the girly excitement never fell flat. I felt the friend bond between Jen and her friends. I ground my teeth at Jason as he dumped all the work on poor Jen and took all the credit. I worried for Jen as she endured the piles of work and problems, screwed up with everyone even though it wasn't her fault, and fretted over Matt and his strange standoffishness. The ending was the best! But I won't spoil the surprise…. I do have to issue a warning for intense girliness, frills, foo-foos and drama. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the boutique! Rachel Schurig has written a thoroughly fun and enjoyable story of love, marriage, weddings, girl power, and all the headaches and drama that come with them. ( )
  katepolicani | Feb 26, 2012 |
From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

This is the story that continues the lives of Ginny, Annie and Jen. 3 girls...now women...who have been best friends since High School. After college they rented a small house in Ferndale. The first book, Three Girls and a Baby, was centered around Ginny who had broken up with her long-time boyfriend and found out she was pregnant. This one is from Jen's view. Jen is a very organized event planner. She just received the opportunity of a lifetime, plan the wedding (and all the events relating to it) for Kiki Barker, daughter of a rich real estate investor, David Barker. At the same time her best friend Ginny gets engaged. Can Jen plan both without losing her mind?

Jen's boss takes away all of her current projects and tells her she will be assisting newly-promoted partner Jason Richardson. While excited by the opportunity, she is less than thrilled at the prospect of working with smarmy Jason. Jen is determined to make this a success, knowing if she does everything right she will get a promotion and be allowed to work on the events she wants to work on. Jason leaves her with almost all the work, and the next 5 months are spent in a haze of overwork and sleeplessness. Ginny's wedding is barely on her radar.

There are also 2 love interests. When the first one was introduced, Matt - the best man and groom's brother, I thought I knew exactly what would happen. But then she kept getting mixed signals and started dating Jason, reluctantly of course. I didn't know what was happening until the very end. It wasn't predictable at all!

Rachel Schurig uses a light, conversational tone throughout the story. For example, I kept seeing the word "gonna." At first it bothered me, very poor grammar and all. But then I realized if I were talking that's what I would say. Does anyone actually say "going to" anymore?

The title is long, but catchy. The first book was Three Girls and a Baby, about Ginny. This book is Three Girls and a Wedding, about Jen. The third book will be titled Three Girls and a Leading Man, about Annie. The cover art is so cute, and it fits in with the first book. Rachel is making it obvious that these three books are connected. It doesn't always work, but in this case it is both necessary and fun.

The story was a very fast read, even at 198 pages. I started reading Sunday afternoon and finished it Monday morning. I couldn't put it down. The story doesn't slow down for a minute, but it's not too fast either. It does, however shift pace. When tensions are high, the story moves faster. When Jen hits the wall and slows down, so does the story. It forces your own feelings to play along.

These stories are set in Metro Detroit, so I actually recognize a lot of the places mentioned in the book. Like the RenCen, which is the Renaissance Center in Detroit. It's a beautiful and large building right in the city.

I was so excited to read this story. As soon as I heard it was out, I wrote the author begging for a copy. I couldn't wait to read it and after the first book I knew I would love it. It did not disappoint. Rachel is a great author and this is a great piece of chick lit.

And now, sadly I must wait for that third book. I swear, I want to volunteer to be a beta reader just so I can read it sooner. ( )
  lilacwolf | Nov 4, 2011 |

Belongs to Series

Rachel Schurig is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,436,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible