Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny…

Let's Pretend This Never Happened

by Jenny Lawson

English (226)  Piratical (1)  All (227)
This book suffers from blog-to-book illness. Jenny Lawson actually is funny, but I prefer her blog (The Bloggess) or tweets.
Events in this book are mostly from her childhood and the early years of marriage. Some were hilarious. In any case you are warned right from the start, so don't expect everything to be funny.
Her brand of humour is best in tweets and short blog posts. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the audiobook, which was narrated by the author. I've been a reader of Jenny's blog for many years and so I knew to expect stories that were funny and unusual. Jenny has an amazingly curious, speculative and witty mind and I hope she never changes! I'm looking forward to listening to her second book. ( )
  LemonyT | Apr 21, 2017 |
This was fun listening to her childhood, where circumstances were beyond her control. But into adulthood, the crazy stuff just turned into stupid. ( )
  2wonderY | Feb 23, 2017 |
Jenny Lawson is perhaps better known on the internet as The Bloggess (thebloggess.com). She writes about her own life and the hilarious antics she and her family get up to. As the daughter of a taxidermist who thought it was totally normal to bring a baby cougar into the house, her childhood was at a level of eccentricity that you would never believe if it weren't actually true. Like how her kept wild turkeys who once followed Jenny and her sister to school and absolutely destroyed the interior of the building. She met her husband in the New Age section of a bookstore where he pointed out that he already owned most of the books and she could just come by his dorm to borrow them. She did and many years later, they are still married and have a lovely daughter named Hailey. The book has it's serious moments as well, such as her miscarriages and her diagnosis of General Anxiety Disorder. I love her honesty about these things because reading a book about a woman who hates social gatherings due to her anxiety disorder makes me feel more normal for also being nervous and awkward in social settings. Mostly the book is full of super weird and hilarious stories. Have you ever had to shoo vultures away from your dead dog with a machete, because Jenny has, and it's as horrific and funny as you would imagine. Mostly horrific. I listened to the audiobook, which was narrated by the author and included a bonus chapter originally cut from the book. It also includes a chapter at the very very end where she's basically just rambling on the mike after she's finished reading. It's well worth searching out the audio version, trust me. As stated in the introduction, this is not a book for those who would be offended by swear words, since she uses them quite liberally. I loved this book and look forward to reading her second memoir Furiously Happy as well. ( )
  Jessiqa | Feb 21, 2017 |
Savouring this read. Laugh out loud on the bus! just great. One of the funniest books I've ever read.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks Jenny for the awesome laughs. and to your husband. *grin* ( )
  MicheleMG | Feb 1, 2017 |
I want to thank everyone who helped me create this book, except for that guy who yelled at me in Kmart when I was eight because he thought I was being "too rowdy." You're an asshole, sir.
This book is a love letter to my family. It's about the surprising discovery that the most terribly human moments—the ones we want to pretend never happened—are the very same moments that make us who we are today. I've reserved the very best stories of my life for this book... to celebrate the strange, and to give thanks for the bizarre. Because you are defined not by life's imperfect moments, but by your reaction to them. And because there is joy in embracing—rather than running screaming from—the utter absurdity of life. I thank my family for teaching me that lesson. In spades.
Introduction
This book is totally true, except for the parts that aren't.
Call me Ishmael.

In an illustrated memoir, the creator of the Bloggess blog shares humorous stories from her life, including her awkward upbringing in Texas and her relationship with her husband.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,879,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible