Let's Pretend This Never Happened by…

Let's Pretend This Never Happened (edition 2013)

by Jenny Lawson

Member:Jenners26
Title:Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Authors:Jenny Lawson
Info:Berkley Trade (2013), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***1/2

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

While reading this book, I had to distract myself with meditation and deep breathing, so that I wouldn't asphyxiate from unstoppable hysterical laughing and crying at the same time. Utterly delicious, this woman. I finished the book in a day and managed to ruin my husband's sleep by snorting uncontrollably in bed while reading her. It's been a while since someone's made me feel like this. I will be waiting for her next. ( )
  swati.ravi | Feb 9, 2015 |
My original impression of this book was that Lawson believes herself to be far more entertaining than she appears to others. That impression did not change. There were some smiles, some charming moments, and some great material. The problem is that she just tries to hard to appear like a wacky iconoclast, and it comes off as defensiveness, and that saps the life out of everything. Also, she needs to stop saying penis and vagina all the time for comedic effect. It is not shocking, it is like listening to the comedy stylings of a 5 year old. ( )
  Narshkite | Feb 1, 2015 |
Typically, when I hear a book is "laugh out loud funny" I kind of snort and imagine that I'll find certain bits quietly amusing. Not true with this book. I can't remember how many times I had to pause in reading this because I was laughing so hard. Don't believe me? Then you should google Jenny Lawson's "And That's Why You Should Learn to Pick Your Battles" blog post and see for yourself. Everyone in need of a good pick-me up read should check this book out. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
I love Jenny. I've been reading her blog since before it was mega-popular and I think she is one of the funniest, most sincere voices online. So I'm sad to say that I didn't love this. It's funny, very funny, filled with her specific brand of insanity. But what it lacked was the depths that I know she's capable of finding. Occasionally on her blog she will dig a little deeper, writing poignantly about depression, her RA, her constant feeling of being a misfit. I guess I was looking for a little more of that here, now that she had the space and time to flesh out some of those themes.

Still love her. And I'll definitely read her second book, with the hopes that her editor will push her a little harder. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
Fun, and good for the long trip I listened to it on, but not especially engrossing. ( )
  librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |
This book is totally true, except for the parts that aren't. - Introduction
Call me Ishmael.

In an illustrated memoir, the creator of the Bloggess blog shares humorous stories from her life, including her awkward upbringing in Texas and her relationship with her husband.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,713,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible