Let's Pretend This Never Happened by…

Let's Pretend This Never Happened (edition 2013)

by Jenny Lawson

1,9912043,382 (4.05)103
Member:Jenners26
Title:Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Authors:Jenny Lawson
Info:Berkley Trade (2013), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***1/2

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

Recently added bySarah-Kat, SiriJR, JenMillar, private library, clrichm, wardenrt66, Moppette, marylovesbooks

English (206)  Piratical (1)  All languages (207)
Certain moments in this memoir cracked me up so much that I literally cried — but overall, I think Lawson's style feels like it's trying too hard. My favorite chapters were the ones dealing in detail with her mental illness, so I'm looking forward to reading her most recent book. ( )
  nikkinmichaels | Apr 21, 2016 |
How can a book be so hilariously funny but also so sad? How can an author turn her severe anxiety into the funniest thing you've ever read? Because ALL CAPS, you guys!

Look, go read some of her blog at thebloggess.com. If you like her blog you will LOVE her book. Just be warned, there have been some unhappy things in her life too. ( )
  tigerb | Apr 7, 2016 |
READ THIS! If you don't mind foul language and disturbing situations then I demand that you read this book. Absolutely hilarious, I can't even give it a proper review because it would be a giant spoiler. Just read it :) ( )
  mashiaraqcs | Mar 29, 2016 |
Let's Pretend This Never Happened (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson is a very irreverent look at her life so far. Known as "The Bloggess"online Lawson first made her impact through her blog before writing a book that included many of her stories. This collection of mostly true and certainly embellished stories run the gamut from brutally honest to exaggerated to fabricated. You should be able to figure out what's real and what isn't.

Let's Pretend This Never Happened was making the book blogging rounds when it was first released and most of the reviews I read were raving about how funny she is and compared her to David Sedaris’s Naked. I must admit that I enjoyed Sedaris's books more. While she is funny, much of the humor and language definitely deserves an R rating and was almost just too far over the top several times. It also seems less story teller based and much more frantic one liners that may or may not lead up to a good story.

There are moments when Lawson isn't relying on crude jokes and is legitimately sharing where she shines. This is generally when she is talking about a real life experience and not trying to tell us a story to prove how messed up she is. Hey, we all have our issues and it helps to laugh about them.

I'd highly recommend this, as long as you are fully aware that it is only for mature audiences.

Quotes:

Usually when I tell people my dad was a Texas armadillo racing champion, they assume I’m exaggerating, but then I pull out his silver armadillo championship ring (which is, of course, shaped like an armadillo), and then they’re all, “Crap on a crap cracker, you’re actually serious.” And then they usually leave quickly. Page 17

There are few advantages to growing up poor, and not having money for therapy is the biggest. Page 23

High school is life’s way of giving you a record low to judge the rest of your life by. Page 55

Most bloggers are emotionally unstable and are often awkward in social situations, which is why so many of us turned to blogging in the first place. Page 171
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
I'm sure it depends on your mood and sense of humor, but I laughed out loud so much during this book that at one point my face actually kindof hurt. Most giggles I've had since [b:Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened|17571564|Hyperbole and a Half Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened|Allie Brosh|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1382971800s/17571564.jpg|24510592]. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
I want to thank everyone who helped me create this book, except for that guy who yelled at me in Kmart when I was eight because he thought I was being "too rowdy." You're an asshole, sir.
This book is a love letter to my family. It's about the surprising discovery that the most terribly human moments - the ones we want to pretend never happened - are the very same moments that make us who we are today. I've reserved the very best stories of my life for this book... to celebrate the strange, and to give thanks for the bizarre. Because you are defined not by life's imperfect moments, but by your reaction to them. And because there is joy in embracing - rather than running screaming from - the utter absurdity of life. I thank my family for teaching me that lesson. In spades.
Introduction
This book is totally true, except for the parts that aren't.
Call me Ishmael.

In an illustrated memoir, the creator of the Bloggess blog shares humorous stories from her life, including her awkward upbringing in Texas and her relationship with her husband.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible