Let's Pretend This Never Happened by…

Let's Pretend This Never Happened (edition 2013)

by Jenny Lawson

Member:Jenners26
Title:Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Authors:Jenny Lawson
Info:Berkley Trade (2013), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***1/2

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

Jenny Lawson is known on the internet as The Bloggess, and she has quite a following. It’s easy to see why; she’s extremely funny, her life seems to have been made for comedy, and she’s open about all her problems. She grew up with the strangest father ever (not a bad father, just one with odd notions at times, like that it would be a good idea to toss a live bobcat into the lap of Jenny’s long suffering husband the first time they met. Not maliciously, just sort of ‘welcome to my home, here have a bobcat’ like another person would offer a cup of coffee), has a physical disability, and mental illness. You would think these things would get a person down, but, no, she takes it all in stride and shows it to the world so we can laugh with her.

This book takes her from her childhood to adulthood. It covers her father the taxidermist who worked out of the house, their poverty, high school, courtship and marriage to her husband Victor, and having their daughter. It also covers her mental illness (anxiety & panic attacks), and how this anxiety leads to (among other things) babbling about inappropriate subjects when out in public. This book convinced me that my life wasn’t the weirdest one ever and that one can love the life they are given.

I found the book extremely funny; despite my using “LOL” on the computer a lot, I don’t often actually laugh out loud when reading. This book made me do so. I should warn you that she swears a lot and writes about inappropriate subjects. I like these parts, but then, I have the sense of humor of a 10 year old boy. ( )
  dark_phoenix54 | Jul 23, 2014 |
Jenny is hilarious and makes you feel like you're her friend in the process. Definitely LOL. ( )
  ericasmithx | May 6, 2014 |
I don't normally like to review the actual writing, because I always feel like I should put my money with my mouth is and write something if I think i can do better. And I love the Blogess, so I was worried that her voice wouldn't come through in this format.

Jenny Lawson is definitely a better blogger than writer. At times it felt like she was trying too hard to keep her voice/quirkiness in the book. But with that being said, the book is laugh out loud funny, and her ability to convey the ridiculousness that is her life is amazing. At times, like when she talks about her problems getting pregnant, their are glimpses of the voice she uses when she talks about her battles with depression and her writing is at its best, but then she loses it some. I can't help but wonder how much impact the editor had (and the 'bantering' with the editor through out drove me crazy)

All and all, I think it's worth the read. It has sections that make you want to read it to someone, and what more can you ask for in a book? ( )
  lmm161 | Mar 30, 2014 |
If you’re the sort to be easily offended by profanity, you will want to set this one aside. For the rest of us, Jenny Lawson is going to teach us how to let it fly. She is so very funny in this book, I’m going to read it again ( )
  KatieMassey | Mar 26, 2014 |
People have been recommending this book to me for years so I'm glad I finally got around to it. Too damn funny. Jenny Lawson's outrageous wit and humor sparkle in every story. I listened to the audiobook version which was narrated by Jenny Lawson herself and damn was it funny. I found myself laughing out loud in my car, looking up weird taxidermy, and checking out her blog. She is truly one of a kind. Not many people can retell ridiculous, horrible, and scarring incidents from their life with such poise, grace and hilarity. She bares it all and manages to transform traumatizing stories into hilarious, stronger than ever triumphs.

Recommended for fans of humor and pretty much.... everyone. ( )
  ecataldi | Mar 22, 2014 |

In an illustrated memoir, the creator of the Bloggess blog shares humorous stories from her life, including her awkward upbringing in Texas and her relationship with her husband.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,125,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible