Let's Pretend This Never Happened by…

Let's Pretend This Never Happened (edition 2013)

by Jenny Lawson

Member:Jenners26
Title:Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Authors:Jenny Lawson
Info:Berkley Trade (2013), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***1/2

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

English (228)  Piratical (1)  All (229)
Jenny Lawson is a blogger. This book consists of stories of her life. Her family did not have much money as she was growing up in Texas. She has an… unusual… father. She and her sister grew up with lots of animals around, wild and domestic, dead and alive (her father is a taxidermist). She suffers from social anxiety. Her husband’s family has money and is quite different from her own, so she struggles a little bit to fit in with them.

I had no idea who she was, but I saw some good reviews for the book, so I thought I’d give it a try. I found this so funny! I laughed out loud plenty of times, and the one chapter that had me laughing so hard I was crying and it was hard to breathe, and I couldn’t stop for some time, was the one that described the 5 foot tall metal chicken she brought home. In particular, it was her husband’s reaction that got me going. It was the best 15th anniversary ever! Oh, and there are photos to go with the stories, so you know they really happened! ( )
  LibraryCin | Jun 18, 2017 |
Mostly hilarious, and at times profound. I actually enjoyed her second book better, but this one gave me more insights into her background. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
I liked this book. Another memoir that I highly enjoyed listening to rather than just reading it. There were clearly some pictures featured in the book that I missed out on but I think that it was more than made up for listening to the stories in Lawson's own distinct voice. Some of the humor didn't really tickle me, but enough of it kept me entertained. Nothing that was really a laugh out loud moment for me, but a great humorous look on life. I absolutely love Lawson's husband, Victor, and all his "what the fuuuuck?" He sounds like a great man; patient and loving. Lawson does his tone of voice perfectly! I love the crazy here. It makes you realize that there are people out there thinking the same thoughts you are, and saying the weirdest things to people like you do. I can't relate to Lawson completely but in some regards she reminds me of me. It's nice to be reminded that I'm not alone in my social awkwardness. :) ( )
  Kassilem | May 23, 2017 |
I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the audiobook, which was narrated by the author. I've been a reader of Jenny's blog for many years and so I knew to expect stories that were funny and unusual. Jenny has an amazingly curious, speculative and witty mind and I hope she never changes! I'm looking forward to listening to her second book. ( )
  LemonyT | Apr 21, 2017 |
This was fun listening to her childhood, where circumstances were beyond her control. But into adulthood, the crazy stuff just turned into stupid. ( )
  2wonderY | Feb 23, 2017 |
I want to thank everyone who helped me create this book, except for that guy who yelled at me in Kmart when I was eight because he thought I was being "too rowdy." You're an asshole, sir.
This book is a love letter to my family. It's about the surprising discovery that the most terribly human moments—the ones we want to pretend never happened—are the very same moments that make us who we are today. I've reserved the very best stories of my life for this book... to celebrate the strange, and to give thanks for the bizarre. Because you are defined not by life's imperfect moments, but by your reaction to them. And because there is joy in embracing—rather than running screaming from—the utter absurdity of life. I thank my family for teaching me that lesson. In spades.
Introduction
This book is totally true, except for the parts that aren't.
Call me Ishmael.

In an illustrated memoir, the creator of the Bloggess blog shares humorous stories from her life, including her awkward upbringing in Texas and her relationship with her husband.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jenny Lawson's book Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,152,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible