Let's Pretend This Never Happened by…

Let's Pretend This Never Happened (edition 2013)

by Jenny Lawson

1,9312023,538 (4.04)103
Member:Jenners26
Title:Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Authors:Jenny Lawson
Info:Berkley Trade (2013), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***1/2

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

Recently added bySara.Newhouse, private library, john.dewees, UberButter, SaraNoH, jennks, Bijuk, Jeff-Rees-Jones

Let’s Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson
319 pages

★★★★★ ♥

I don’t read many blogs. But yet I read plenty of books by bloggers (Jen Lancaster, Jen Mann, Laurie Notaro, etc). And yet, I had decided not to read this book for a few reason up until now 1) I didn’t need another humorous blogging woman in my life, at some point I figured they’d all be the same, 2) I was told it dealt with some things I may have found difficult to handle, 3) seriously…I have too many books to read. But I am so thrilled I finally got around to reading this one! Jenny Lawson had me laughing throughout. Her stories can be disjointed and crazy which I could see others finding annoying but not me because that is how I talk (and no doubt many people find me annoying). But this woman, besides making my laugh, I felt like I related to her so much. To the loss of children, to her marriage, to her anxiety and depression, to her spazziness (is that a word? It is now) – I was just thinking “Yes! I feel her! This is me!” I’m glad I finally got a chance to read this book that has been sitting on my shelf for 3 years. I look forward to reading her new book that just came out.

UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
Sometimes horrifying, but always hilarious. I laughed so loudly in parts of this that my husband called out from across the house to make sure that I was ok. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
I started out all like, why does she have to use 'fuck' so often? I think it is a word better said than written, but at the end I was like, "I have to get to the bathroom before I shit myself!" OK, so some of you maybe know that I have significant digestive issues while traveling, so this may not have been directly related to the book, but it did happen. I also imagine that I might not be the only reader to think that she really isn't that messed up, while at the same time thinking, I guess I am not as messed up as I thought I was...and by the way, take care to choose an appropriate setting to read in. It turns out that other people get really annoyed when you keep laughing out loud. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
This book suffers from blog-to-book illness. Jenny Lawson actually is funny, but I prefer her blog (The Bloggess) or tweets.
Events in this book are mostly from her childhood and the early years of marriage. Some were hilarious. In any case you are warned right from the start, so don't expect everything to be funny.
Her brand of humour is best in tweets and short blog posts. ( )
  Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
Jenny Lawson cracked me up. She has a slightly twisted and hilarious point of view and has had (and is having, I suspect) a crazy life. (She is the girl who says fuck too much, and a few other words, so if you can't handle some raw language, you won't like it so much.) I listened to her on the audio book, and her delivery is also very funny; also there's an extra chapter. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
I want to thank everyone who helped me create this book, except for that guy who yelled at me in Kmart when I was eight because he thought I was being "too rowdy." You're an asshole, sir.
This book is a love letter to my family. It's about the surprising discovery that the most terribly human moments - the ones we want to pretend never happened - are the very same moments that make us who we are today. I've reserved the very best stories of my life for this book... to celebrate the strange, and to give thanks for the bizarre. Because you are defined not by life's imperfect moments, but by your reaction to them. And because there is joy in embracing - rather than running screaming from - the utter absurdity of life. I thank my family for teaching me that lesson. In spades.
Introduction
This book is totally true, except for the parts that aren't.
Call me Ishmael.

In an illustrated memoir, the creator of the Bloggess blog shares humorous stories from her life, including her awkward upbringing in Texas and her relationship with her husband.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,140,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible