Let's Pretend This Never Happened by…

Let's Pretend This Never Happened (edition 2013)

by Jenny Lawson

Member:sparemethecensor
Title:Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Authors:Jenny Lawson
Info:Berkley Trade (2013), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:autobiographical, Texas, comedy, marriage, motherhood, blog

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

This book was fantastic! I laughed out loud throughout this book. This girl is so dysfunctional and funny at the same time...I could seriously just start re-reading the book today. ( )
  Verkruissen | Mar 25, 2015 |
Hysterical! Jenny Lawson is weird in the best kind of way. After reading this book, I'm inspired to find some poorly taxidermied animals to spruce up my home decor. ( )
  shella.rittenberry | Mar 22, 2015 |
A book club pick that I thought would be a great, quick-read change from my usual selections, light, humorous, you know the kind. I've simply discovered that I do not truly enjoy reading memoirs, even with this one being quite funny and well-told, sort of. Jenny Lawson has a great, funny way of storytelling and she admits this memoir is "mostly true". Thank goodness! Because if this was actually true, I'd be worried.

The person who has lived the life and their circle of friends & family think their memoir will be wanted by many, and many times many readers devour such memoirs and rate them well. Unfortunately, these memoirs do not usually appeal to me. I've discovered this with The Color of Water, The Glass Castle, Bitter is the New Black, Bossypants, Orange is the New Black and, now, Let's Pretend This Never Happened.

So, take this with a cup of salt, a pound if you must.... if you tend to enjoy memoirs, including those I just listed above, this one is rated highly both on Amazon and here at Goodread, so, you might thoroughly enjoy this one. There are very many segments that are truly, truly funny, crazy, bizarre, even. But as a whole, I found each chapter interesting enough, but not interesting enough to keep reading. It has taken me weeks to finish because once I finished a chapter and put the books down, I dragged my heels to resume reading. ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
While reading this book, I had to distract myself with meditation and deep breathing, so that I wouldn't asphyxiate from unstoppable hysterical laughing and crying at the same time. Utterly delicious, this woman. I finished the book in a day and managed to ruin my husband's sleep by snorting uncontrollably in bed while reading her. It's been a while since someone's made me feel like this. I will be waiting for her next. ( )
  swati.ravi | Feb 9, 2015 |
My original impression of this book was that Lawson believes herself to be far more entertaining than she appears to others. That impression did not change. There were some smiles, some charming moments, and some great material. The problem is that she just tries to hard to appear like a wacky iconoclast, and it comes off as defensiveness, and that saps the life out of everything. Also, she needs to stop saying penis and vagina all the time for comedic effect. It is not shocking, it is like listening to the comedy stylings of a 5 year old. ( )
  Narshkite | Feb 1, 2015 |
This book is totally true, except for the parts that aren't. - Introduction
Call me Ishmael.

In an illustrated memoir, the creator of the Bloggess blog shares humorous stories from her life, including her awkward upbringing in Texas and her relationship with her husband.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,602,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible