Let's Pretend This Never Happened by…

Let's Pretend This Never Happened (edition 2013)

by Jenny Lawson

Member:sparemethecensor
Title:Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Authors:Jenny Lawson
Info:Berkley Trade (2013), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:autobiographical, Texas, comedy, marriage, motherhood, blog

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

This book suffers from blog-to-book illness. Jenny Lawson actually is funny, but I prefer her blog (The Bloggess) or tweets.
Events in this book are mostly from her childhood and the early years of marriage. Some were hilarious. In any case you are warned right from the start, so don't expect everything to be funny.
Her brand of humour is best in tweets and short blog posts. ( )
1 vote Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
For the most part, seriously laugh out loud funny - actually, it made me snort uncontrollably and cry with laughter.

Totally recommended if you need a bit of a pick me up. ( )
  Erin.Patel | Aug 22, 2014 |

Totally recommended if you need a bit of a pick me up. ( )
  Erin.Patel | Aug 22, 2014 |
Jenny Lawson is known on the internet as The Bloggess, and she has quite a following. It’s easy to see why; she’s extremely funny, her life seems to have been made for comedy, and she’s open about all her problems. She grew up with the strangest father ever (not a bad father, just one with odd notions at times, like that it would be a good idea to toss a live bobcat into the lap of Jenny’s long suffering husband the first time they met. Not maliciously, just sort of ‘welcome to my home, here have a bobcat’ like another person would offer a cup of coffee), has a physical disability, and mental illness. You would think these things would get a person down, but, no, she takes it all in stride and shows it to the world so we can laugh with her.

This book takes her from her childhood to adulthood. It covers her father the taxidermist who worked out of the house, their poverty, high school, courtship and marriage to her husband Victor, and having their daughter. It also covers her mental illness (anxiety & panic attacks), and how this anxiety leads to (among other things) babbling about inappropriate subjects when out in public. This book convinced me that my life wasn’t the weirdest one ever and that one can love the life they are given.

I found the book extremely funny; despite my using “LOL” on the computer a lot, I don’t often actually laugh out loud when reading. This book made me do so. I should warn you that she swears a lot and writes about inappropriate subjects. I like these parts, but then, I have the sense of humor of a 10 year old boy. ( )
  dark_phoenix54 | Jul 23, 2014 |
Jenny is hilarious and makes you feel like you're her friend in the process. Definitely LOL. ( )
  ericasmithx | May 6, 2014 |

In an illustrated memoir, the creator of the Bloggess blog shares humorous stories from her life, including her awkward upbringing in Texas and her relationship with her husband.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,291,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible