Let's Pretend This Never Happened by…

Let's Pretend This Never Happened (edition 2013)

by Jenny Lawson

1,323None5,869 (4.05)78
Member:sparemethecensor
Title:Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Authors:Jenny Lawson
Info:Berkley Trade (2013), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:autobiographical, Texas, comedy, marriage, motherhood, blog

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

2012 (40) 2013 (19) ARC (9) audio (7) audiobook (12) autobiography (42) biography (44) blog (10) blogger (8) comedy (7) ebook (23) essays (10) family (22) fiction (8) funny (15) goodreads (15) humor (190) Kindle (20) library (7) memoir (226) mental illness (8) non-fiction (162) own (7) read (24) read in 2012 (21) read in 2013 (12) taxidermy (37) Texas (42) to-read (106) unread (8)

I don't normally like to review the actual writing, because I always feel like I should put my money with my mouth is and write something if I think i can do better. And I love the Blogess, so I was worried that her voice wouldn't come through in this format.

Jenny Lawson is definitely a better blogger than writer. At times it felt like she was trying too hard to keep her voice/quirkiness in the book. But with that being said, the book is laugh out loud funny, and her ability to convey the ridiculousness that is her life is amazing. At times, like when she talks about her problems getting pregnant, their are glimpses of the voice she uses when she talks about her battles with depression and her writing is at its best, but then she loses it some. I can't help but wonder how much impact the editor had (and the 'bantering' with the editor through out drove me crazy)

All and all, I think it's worth the read. It has sections that make you want to read it to someone, and what more can you ask for in a book? ( )
  lmm161 | Mar 30, 2014 |
If you’re the sort to be easily offended by profanity, you will want to set this one aside. For the rest of us, Jenny Lawson is going to teach us how to let it fly. She is so very funny in this book, I’m going to read it again ( )
  KatieMassey | Mar 26, 2014 |
People have been recommending this book to me for years so I'm glad I finally got around to it. Too damn funny. Jenny Lawson's outrageous wit and humor sparkle in every story. I listened to the audiobook version which was narrated by Jenny Lawson herself and damn was it funny. I found myself laughing out loud in my car, looking up weird taxidermy, and checking out her blog. She is truly one of a kind. Not many people can retell ridiculous, horrible, and scarring incidents from their life with such poise, grace and hilarity. She bares it all and manages to transform traumatizing stories into hilarious, stronger than ever triumphs.

Recommended for fans of humor and pretty much.... everyone. ( )
  ecataldi | Mar 22, 2014 |
Best at the beginning but thoroughly enjoyable overall.

As hilarious as this is, I think it's important that she speaks out about her generalized anxiety disorder.. it makes me hopeful - and she reaches a wide audience both with and without mental illnesses.

Do it. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
I am glad that Jenny Lawson did not just pretend her life never happened and wrote this book about it. I often found myself laughing out loud and needing to put the book down in order to regain my composure. Her descriptions are endearing and hilarious and draw you in to the story. I especially love the banter between her and her husband, as it sounds a lot like the conversations I have with my spouse (my spouse is Jenny and I am her husband, BTW). Highly enjoyable and a quick read, I would recommend if you are looking for a gritty, honest look at growing up in a rural area. ( )
  alb2219 | Mar 12, 2014 |

In an illustrated memoir, the creator of the Bloggess blog shares humorous stories from her life, including her awkward upbringing in Texas and her relationship with her husband.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,430,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible