Let's Pretend This Never Happened by…

Let's Pretend This Never Happened (edition 2013)

by Jenny Lawson

Title:Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Authors:Jenny Lawson
Info:Berkley Trade (2013), Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:autobiographical, Texas, comedy, marriage, motherhood, blog

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

I really did love this book. No, it wasn't life changing and no I don't feel that I learned any major life lessons but it was certainly an entertaining comic relief on a lazy weekend. ( )
  tipsy_writer | Sep 29, 2015 |
hilarious. plain and simple...oh and really weird stuff. ( )
  PrimosParadise | Sep 9, 2015 |
Jenny Lawson realized that the most mortifying moments of our lives—the ones we’d like to pretend never happened—are in fact the ones that define us. She takes readers on a hilarious journey recalling her bizarre upbringing in rural Texas, her devastatingly awkward high school years, and her relationship with her long-suffering husband, Victor.

I always loved following the blog of The Bloggess, mostly because she’s so unrepentantly, irreverently offensive, and willing to display her own mortification for doing things that we all do and by doing so, make us all feel that much more human and that much less shame. She’s been great for my mental health, and I’ve been shoving this audiobook at everyone who might need even the slightest pick-me-up. As long as you don’t mind reading about vaginas.
  lyrrael | Sep 3, 2015 |
Really, a laugh out book. I've become a fan and have pre-ordered her next book and have begun reading her blog. ( )
  srtsrt | Aug 28, 2015 |
This may be the funniest book I have ever read. Just reading the titles of the chapters can start me laughing again. This is the “almost true” story of the author growing up in rural Texas. Her list of “Things Most People Have Never Experienced or Could Have Even Possibly Imagined, but That Totally Happened to Me” includes as #11, “Most people don’t have to devote an entire year of therapy to a single ten-minute episode from their childhood.” And no, it does not involve abuse, unless you consider exposure to Stanley, the Magical Squirrel, as abuse. I could go on, but you just have to read this book. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
I want to thank everyone who helped me create this book, except for that guy who yelled at me in Kmart when I was eight because he thought I was being "too rowdy." You're an asshole, sir.
This book is a love letter to my family. It's about the surprising discovery that the most terribly human moments - the ones we want to pretend never happened - are the very same moments that make us who we are today. I've reserved the very best stories of my life for this book... to celebrate the strange, and to give thanks for the bizarre. Because you are defined not by life's imperfect moments, but by your reaction to them. And because there is joy in embracing - rather than running screaming from - the utter absurdity of life. I thank my family for teaching me that lesson. In spades.
This book is totally true, except for the parts that aren't.
Call me Ishmael.

In an illustrated memoir, the creator of the Bloggess blog shares humorous stories from her life, including her awkward upbringing in Texas and her relationship with her husband.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,783,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible