Let's Pretend This Never Happened by…

Let's Pretend This Never Happened (edition 2013)

by Jenny Lawson

Member:sparemethecensor
Title:Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Authors:Jenny Lawson
Info:Berkley Trade (2013), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:autobiographical, Texas, comedy, marriage, motherhood, blog

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

English (228)  Piratical (1)  All (229)
Mostly hilarious, and at times profound. I actually enjoyed her second book better, but this one gave me more insights into her background. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
I liked this book. Another memoir that I highly enjoyed listening to rather than just reading it. There were clearly some pictures featured in the book that I missed out on but I think that it was more than made up for listening to the stories in Lawson's own distinct voice. Some of the humor didn't really tickle me, but enough of it kept me entertained. Nothing that was really a laugh out loud moment for me, but a great humorous look on life. I absolutely love Lawson's husband, Victor, and all his "what the fuuuuck?" He sounds like a great man; patient and loving. Lawson does his tone of voice perfectly! I love the crazy here. It makes you realize that there are people out there thinking the same thoughts you are, and saying the weirdest things to people like you do. I can't relate to Lawson completely but in some regards she reminds me of me. It's nice to be reminded that I'm not alone in my social awkwardness. :) ( )
  Kassilem | May 23, 2017 |
This book suffers from blog-to-book illness. Jenny Lawson actually is funny, but I prefer her blog (The Bloggess) or tweets.
Events in this book are mostly from her childhood and the early years of marriage. Some were hilarious. In any case you are warned right from the start, so don't expect everything to be funny.
Her brand of humour is best in tweets and short blog posts. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the audiobook, which was narrated by the author. I've been a reader of Jenny's blog for many years and so I knew to expect stories that were funny and unusual. Jenny has an amazingly curious, speculative and witty mind and I hope she never changes! I'm looking forward to listening to her second book. ( )
  LemonyT | Apr 21, 2017 |
This was fun listening to her childhood, where circumstances were beyond her control. But into adulthood, the crazy stuff just turned into stupid. ( )
  2wonderY | Feb 23, 2017 |
I want to thank everyone who helped me create this book, except for that guy who yelled at me in Kmart when I was eight because he thought I was being "too rowdy." You're an asshole, sir.
This book is a love letter to my family. It's about the surprising discovery that the most terribly human moments—the ones we want to pretend never happened—are the very same moments that make us who we are today. I've reserved the very best stories of my life for this book... to celebrate the strange, and to give thanks for the bizarre. Because you are defined not by life's imperfect moments, but by your reaction to them. And because there is joy in embracing—rather than running screaming from—the utter absurdity of life. I thank my family for teaching me that lesson. In spades.
Introduction
This book is totally true, except for the parts that aren't.
Call me Ishmael.

In an illustrated memoir, the creator of the Bloggess blog shares humorous stories from her life, including her awkward upbringing in Texas and her relationship with her husband.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jenny Lawson's book Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,520,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible