Let's Pretend This Never Happened by…

Let's Pretend This Never Happened (edition 2013)

by Jenny Lawson

Member:sparemethecensor
Title:Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Authors:Jenny Lawson
Info:Berkley Trade (2013), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:autobiographical, Texas, comedy, marriage, motherhood, blog

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

English (225)  Piratical (1)  All (226)
This was fun listening to her childhood, where circumstances were beyond her control. But into adulthood, the crazy stuff just turned into stupid. ( )
  2wonderY | Feb 23, 2017 |
Jenny Lawson is perhaps better known on the internet as The Bloggess (thebloggess.com). She writes about her own life and the hilarious antics she and her family get up to. As the daughter of a taxidermist who thought it was totally normal to bring a baby cougar into the house, her childhood was at a level of eccentricity that you would never believe if it weren't actually true. Like how her kept wild turkeys who once followed Jenny and her sister to school and absolutely destroyed the interior of the building. She met her husband in the New Age section of a bookstore where he pointed out that he already owned most of the books and she could just come by his dorm to borrow them. She did and many years later, they are still married and have a lovely daughter named Hailey. The book has it's serious moments as well, such as her miscarriages and her diagnosis of General Anxiety Disorder. I love her honesty about these things because reading a book about a woman who hates social gatherings due to her anxiety disorder makes me feel more normal for also being nervous and awkward in social settings. Mostly the book is full of super weird and hilarious stories. Have you ever had to shoo vultures away from your dead dog with a machete, because Jenny has, and it's as horrific and funny as you would imagine. Mostly horrific. I listened to the audiobook, which was narrated by the author and included a bonus chapter originally cut from the book. It also includes a chapter at the very very end where she's basically just rambling on the mike after she's finished reading. It's well worth searching out the audio version, trust me. As stated in the introduction, this is not a book for those who would be offended by swear words, since she uses them quite liberally. I loved this book and look forward to reading her second memoir Furiously Happy as well. ( )
  Jessiqa | Feb 21, 2017 |
This book suffers from blog-to-book illness. Jenny Lawson actually is funny, but I prefer her blog (The Bloggess) or tweets.
Events in this book are mostly from her childhood and the early years of marriage. Some were hilarious. In any case you are warned right from the start, so don't expect everything to be funny.
Her brand of humour is best in tweets and short blog posts. ( )
  Aneris | Feb 15, 2017 |
Savouring this read. Laugh out loud on the bus! just great. One of the funniest books I've ever read.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks Jenny for the awesome laughs. and to your husband. *grin* ( )
  MicheleMG | Feb 1, 2017 |
This is Jenny Lawson's first book, which I read after reading her second book, because I'm weird like that. Not quite as weird as Jenny, though. I don't think. Maybe? Maybe I'm weird *because* I like Jenny's books so much? This book starts off detailing some ways that her childhood was basically the complete opposite of my childhood. She talks about how "most people" don't have poisonous tap water, or have live raccoons in their house, or accidentally run right inside of a deer carcass, or have a taxidermist for a father. There is a whole chapter dedicated to a "talking squirrel" that ended up being a dead squirrel her father was wearing like a puppet. Also a chapter dedicated to that time in school where Jenny stuck her arm up a cow's vagina. Yes, she has led quite the interesting life.

And then she talks about meeting her husband Victor, and how her dad threw a live bobcat onto Victor the first time he met him. Kudos to Victor for remaining calm in that situation. She tells of meeting Victor's parents, and how out of place she felt with them, and how her dad scared them off with boiling cow's skulls. There are many many reasons why Jenny and Victor are just totally meant for each other, and this book shows that fairly well.

This book also deals with some really serious, hard to read things, like Jenny's miscarriages and how difficult her final pregnancy was. She had to give herself hundreds of shots just to keep her body from miscarrying again, but in the end it was totally worth it because she now has a beautiful, wonderful daughter.

This whole book is just Jenny's life, and what a crazy life it is. She talks about her anxiety disorder, and the fact that it often leads her to blurt out randomness that maybe she shouldn't say out loud. Some chapters were posts from her blog, and some were just kind of "what the heck?", but it's all uniquely Jenny. *This* is a book of a life well-lived, and it makes me wonder what my life could be like if I took a few risks every now and then. ( )
  Heather19 | Jan 29, 2017 |
I want to thank everyone who helped me create this book, except for that guy who yelled at me in Kmart when I was eight because he thought I was being "too rowdy." You're an asshole, sir.
This book is a love letter to my family. It's about the surprising discovery that the most terribly human moments—the ones we want to pretend never happened—are the very same moments that make us who we are today. I've reserved the very best stories of my life for this book... to celebrate the strange, and to give thanks for the bizarre. Because you are defined not by life's imperfect moments, but by your reaction to them. And because there is joy in embracing—rather than running screaming from—the utter absurdity of life. I thank my family for teaching me that lesson. In spades.
Introduction
This book is totally true, except for the parts that aren't.
Call me Ishmael.

In an illustrated memoir, the creator of the Bloggess blog shares humorous stories from her life, including her awkward upbringing in Texas and her relationship with her husband.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,247,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible