Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly…

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) (edition 2012)

by Jenny Lawson

2,1912192,962 (4.05)121
Member:FireandIce
Title:Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir)
Authors:Jenny Lawson
Info:Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2013, Kindle

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

English (222)  Piratical (1)  English (223)
I loved this book and was so glad that I listened to the audiobook! The author is hilarious as she tells her memoir and only slightly annoying as she sings the chapter titles. Not being a country person, I can't picture some of the things she talks about, but I still enjoy hearing her tales. I can't believe all that has happened to her. Even though it was a humorous book, I did find myself crying a bit as she talked about her struggle to have children. Still a great book though and I would recommend it to those that like funny females living in rural areas. -Overdrive Audio ( )
  aurorapaigem | Nov 23, 2016 |
I laughed so much I cried, and then felt sorry for myself because MY life is so dull and normal... almost. ;-) ( )
  cybercarotte | Nov 23, 2016 |
When a book is as highly anticipated as this one was, you start to steel yourself for the inevitable letdown--even if the book is good, what are the chances that it will be that good? I mean, sure, her blog is funny as hell. And yes, if you don't follow her on twitter (@TheBloggess) you'll never know just how side-splitting random chaos and taxidermied animals can be. But really; a whole book? Surely it can't sustain the level of sheer manic Texas-gonzo hilarity and wrongness we've come to expect, right?

That's what I thought, too. Until I found myself not just laughing out loud but actually reading the book out loud.

To myself.

Jenny Lawson's voice is so clear, you can hear it (although granted, that's difficult to do over the sound of me already reading it aloud. Sorry about that.), and I love it all--the sarcasm, the stress, the traumatic childhood memories, the editorial asides. There's nothing more fun than a book you can't wait to share with your friends, and right now, there's no book I'd rather share.

Seriously. Call me up right now and I'll read bits of it aloud over the phone for you. You can't stop me. ( )
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
I'm not familiar with Lawson's blog, but I was crying with laughter on the plane. ( )
  mkunruh | Nov 13, 2016 |
There were many part of this I found to be HILARIOUS, but there were an equal number of parts that just felt too, "Aren't I SO weird?" Isn't my life just crazy????" that devalued the actual uniqueness of a story ( )
  abbeyhar | Nov 8, 2016 |
I want to thank everyone who helped me create this book, except for that guy who yelled at me in Kmart when I was eight because he thought I was being "too rowdy." You're an asshole, sir.
This book is a love letter to my family. It's about the surprising discovery that the most terribly human moments—the ones we want to pretend never happened—are the very same moments that make us who we are today. I've reserved the very best stories of my life for this book... to celebrate the strange, and to give thanks for the bizarre. Because you are defined not by life's imperfect moments, but by your reaction to them. And because there is joy in embracing—rather than running screaming from—the utter absurdity of life. I thank my family for teaching me that lesson. In spades.
Introduction
This book is totally true, except for the parts that aren't.
Call me Ishmael.

In an illustrated memoir, the creator of the Bloggess blog shares humorous stories from her life, including her awkward upbringing in Texas and her relationship with her husband.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,639,966 books! | Top bar: Always visible