Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly…

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) (edition 2012)

by Jenny Lawson

Member:FireandIce
Title:Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir)
Authors:Jenny Lawson
Info:Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2013, Kindle

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

English (212)  Piratical (1)  All languages (213)
I know the stories in here sound hysterical and I was looking forward to reading this book. That said, I just could not get into the author's style of writing.gave up. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
I fell in love with Jenny's mad, and slightly off kilter writing through her Bloggess' blog, and when she posted a short excerpt from her book... well I had to get it.

When it came in the mail my boyfriend said "well, I'll just clear our scheduled because I know you'll be busy reading."

If you are familiar with The Bloggess, then you realize that Jenny breaks every single grammar rule there is, especially the one about paragraphs and run on sentences, but for some reason it really works well for her. Kind of like listening to that friend with the really unbelievable, but true stories that you just don't want to believe are true, but somehow you really are afraid they are, and can't keep yourself from listening a little longer.

I'm in trouble if this ever comes out on audio book... ( )
  CrissyMoss | Aug 14, 2016 |
This book suffers from blog-to-book illness. Jenny Lawson actually is funny, but I prefer her blog (The Bloggess) or tweets.
Events in this book are mostly from her childhood and the early years of marriage. Some were hilarious. In any case you are warned right from the start, so don't expect everything to be funny.
Her brand of humour is best in tweets and short blog posts. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
Loved this book, some of her best blogs, I have laughed until I almost peed myself!! Love the Bloggess!! ( )
  Robin_Miller_Cresci | Jul 6, 2016 |
Whenever I read anything Jenny writes, it makes me want to write. She is hysterically, uniquely, intelligently awesome.  ( )
  Iamanerdfighter | May 30, 2016 |
I want to thank everyone who helped me create this book, except for that guy who yelled at me in Kmart when I was eight because he thought I was being "too rowdy." You're an asshole, sir.
This book is a love letter to my family. It's about the surprising discovery that the most terribly human moments—the ones we want to pretend never happened—are the very same moments that make us who we are today. I've reserved the very best stories of my life for this book... to celebrate the strange, and to give thanks for the bizarre. Because you are defined not by life's imperfect moments, but by your reaction to them. And because there is joy in embracing—rather than running screaming from—the utter absurdity of life. I thank my family for teaching me that lesson. In spades.
Introduction
This book is totally true, except for the parts that aren't.
Call me Ishmael.

In an illustrated memoir, the creator of the Bloggess blog shares humorous stories from her life, including her awkward upbringing in Texas and her relationship with her husband.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,503,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible