Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly…

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) (edition 2012)

by Jenny Lawson

Member:FireandIce
Title:Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir)
Authors:Jenny Lawson
Info:Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2013, Kindle

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

English (231)  Piratical (1)  All (232)

This was a dangerous book to read in bed. Sometimes I would laugh so hard I was afraid I'd wake my husband up. Parts of this book were better for my tummy muscles than a Pilates class. Other parts, the parts about feeling weird and laughed at and left out, made me want to cry. I almost quit reading it 3 times because the hard parts were REALLY hard. But the laughing parts were REALLY funny. And from reading her blog, I know that she and Victor are still happily together and she is (mostly) OK, which is really an acceptable outcome. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
From by Cannonball Read 5 Review ...

This book is great, y’all.

Sorry. I’ve been known to say ‘y’all’ on occasion (who knows why – I grew up on the west coast), and after listening to Ms. Lawson read her hilarious, sweet and bizarre memoir, I’ve incorporated it into my vocabulary once again. I can’t help it.

You might be familiar with Jenny Lawson but not know it. She is better known as The Bloggess, and she is a brilliant writer. She’s open, a fantastic storyteller, and able to make me laugh out loud, tear up, cringe, and feel nostalgic for my own (pretty different from her) childhood. Often in the same chapter.

Lawson grew up poor in West Texas. Like, bread sack shoes poor. Her father was a taxidermist and would do things like stick his hand up a dead squirrel and treat it like a puppet, or bring baby bobcats into the home to hang out. While the subtitle of the book says the memoir is “mostly” true, the reality is that most any chapter struck me as both completely ridiculous and totally plausible. Do I believe that she once had her arm up a cow’s vagina during animal husbandry class? Yes. Do I believe that they had raccoons as pets for a while? Yes.

The stories follow Lawson from childhood through adulthood, into married life. She is a mother, although only a couple of her stories deal directly with her in that role, and one of them is a doozy. In that chapter she talks in great detail about her miscarriages and attempts at having a child. I cannot imagine how devastating that was, but Lawson has such a tremendous way with words that I felt like I was hearing a friend describe it. It had me tearing up and wanting to give her and her husband a big hug.

One thing I really appreciated about this book is that there is a sensitivity that runs throughout it. The stories are mostly hilarious and guffaw-inducing, but there’s a rawness and reality behind them. It is vulnerability and self-reflection and strength all wrapped up together.

A couple of things to keep in mind before you run out to buy the paperback version (on the NY Times bestseller list now! First: There is a ton of cursing in this book. I don’t subscribe to the idea that cursing is offensive or lazy writing. I think the concept of someone saying ‘heck’ when their personality and feelings want them to say ‘fuck’ is ridiculous, unless you’re in church or possibly at work. If the author is thinking ‘fuck’, she should write it down. Clearly, Lawson is often thinking ‘fuck.’ And it works. It makes sense, it isn’t shocking, and it’s a hell of a lot less jarring than someone reacting to something utterly absurd with ‘dagnabbit’ instead of ‘holy shit.’

Second: PLEASE buy the audio version of this book. Lawson has a fantastic voice and amazing comic timing. Her delivery of the stories makes them all the funnier. The audio book also has the bonus chapter that is found in the paperback version, plus a good 10 minutes at the very end which is just her in the sound booth, offering up some fantastic ideas. And saying ‘vagina’ a lot.

This book is staying on my phone for multiple re-listenings, and it is going to get five stars, because it is awesome. ( )
  ASKelmore | Jul 8, 2017 |
This book was fantastic! I laughed out loud throughout this book. This girl is so dysfunctional and funny at the same time...I could seriously just start re-reading the book today. ( )
  Verkruissen | Jul 8, 2017 |
Jenny Lawson is a blogger. This book consists of stories of her life. Her family did not have much money as she was growing up in Texas. She has an… unusual… father. She and her sister grew up with lots of animals around, wild and domestic, dead and alive (her father is a taxidermist). She suffers from social anxiety. Her husband’s family has money and is quite different from her own, so she struggles a little bit to fit in with them.

I had no idea who she was, but I saw some good reviews for the book, so I thought I’d give it a try. I found this so funny! I laughed out loud plenty of times, and the one chapter that had me laughing so hard I was crying and it was hard to breathe, and I couldn’t stop for some time, was the one that described the 5 foot tall metal chicken she brought home. In particular, it was her husband’s reaction that got me going. It was the best 15th anniversary ever! Oh, and there are photos to go with the stories, so you know they really happened! ( )
  LibraryCin | Jun 18, 2017 |
Mostly hilarious, and at times profound. I actually enjoyed her second book better, but this one gave me more insights into her background. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
I want to thank everyone who helped me create this book, except for that guy who yelled at me in Kmart when I was eight because he thought I was being "too rowdy." You're an asshole, sir.
This book is a love letter to my family. It's about the surprising discovery that the most terribly human moments—the ones we want to pretend never happened—are the very same moments that make us who we are today. I've reserved the very best stories of my life for this book... to celebrate the strange, and to give thanks for the bizarre. Because you are defined not by life's imperfect moments, but by your reaction to them. And because there is joy in embracing—rather than running screaming from—the utter absurdity of life. I thank my family for teaching me that lesson. In spades.
Introduction
This book is totally true, except for the parts that aren't.
Call me Ishmael.

In an illustrated memoir, the creator of the Bloggess blog shares humorous stories from her life, including her awkward upbringing in Texas and her relationship with her husband.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jenny Lawson's book Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,064,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible