Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly…

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) (edition 2012)

by Jenny Lawson

Member:FireandIce
Title:Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir)
Authors:Jenny Lawson
Info:Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2013, Kindle

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

Jenny Lawson is The Blogess. She writes a blog about her life that is so funny, every time I read a post, it is a revelation. It takes me completely out of my own life and I sit at my computer cackling until my husband asks me what I'm doing. And every time I read it aloud to him, in fits and starts as I'm laughing so hard I'm crying and can't breathe and have to gasp out the story before collapsing.

Really.

This book is just like that. But longer.

Reading this book, I was laughing so hard that that space in the webbing between my thumb and finger ached. You know, that place that throbs when you've drunk a 78 oz soda and then held it through an entire movie and then you get to the bathroom and there's a line and then you finally get to a toilet and as you're voiding the EIGHT GALLONS of fluid you've been crossing your legs against FOREVER that spot on your hand throbs so much you want to gnaw it off?

Well, this book is like that, too.

This book takes all your sacred cows, skins them, stuffs then, and then dresses them in funny outfits to make postcards to sell at gas stations.

Really.

Cannot recommend highly enough, to those who like their humor as twisted as a barrel of snakes. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
First thought: she's trying too hard.

Next thought: she's charming

Third thought: her relentless honesty bashes down any resistance to her charm

Fourth thought: what should be the subtitle, is the subtext, and what the book teaches: how to love yourself regardless of how fucked up you are.

*** I'm about half to 2/3 through at this point. The story and her style either improves or grows on me. ***

I found the book improved as she moved from her childhood into adulthood. I listened to the audio version, which she read herself. She seems to fit a role of the awkward person at a party who embarrasses herself to get attention. This can get a bit overdone, but the overall effect on me was to serve as a relief valve to purge any pent-up self-consciousness.

It can seem forced, but when it works, that kind of catharsis feels goooood.

nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
It took me fifty pages or so to begin to appreciate Lawson's writing style. Once she'd hooked me though, it was hilarious. My favorite story was when she over dosed on laxatives and a "rapist" showed up at the bathroom door, which doesn't sound so funny as I write it here, so you'll just have to trust me and read it for yourself.

There are plenty of expletives in the book so if that bugs you, please read something else. Fans of Jenny McCarthy should really love this.

Lawson has a fascinating and totally unique way of viewing the world. Her writing allows us to peer through her eyes, if only for a little while. I loved it. ( )
  HeidiWiechert | Sep 10, 2014 |
In the part of the book where Jenny works in HR, I laughed so hard that I was crying. I know that's happened to me before but it hasn't happened often and I can't even think of a specific example. My cat was staring at me while this was happening and then came over and licked my face. I thought that the cat was being empathic because of my tears but realized that she probably just wanted some salt. ( )
  kwbridge | Sep 6, 2014 |
Fun, and good for the long trip I listened to it on, but not especially engrossing. ( )
  raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |

In an illustrated memoir, the creator of the Bloggess blog shares humorous stories from her life, including her awkward upbringing in Texas and her relationship with her husband.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,330,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible