Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly…

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) (edition 2012)

by Jenny Lawson

Member:FireandIce
Title:Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir)
Authors:Jenny Lawson
Info:Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2013, Kindle

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

English (215)  Piratical (1)  All languages (216)
Coming soon... ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
This book was hilarious. But I think the take-home chapter for me was "And Then I got Stabbed in the Face by a Serial Killer" where she talks about how debilitating it can be so deal with social anxiety, depression and panic attacks. The whole part about writing emails really struck a cord with me too, since I do that whole song-and-dance several times a day at work. But aside from that particular section of heavy stuff, there are some so-crazy-I-hope-it's-not-true stories that had me laughing so hard that Tyler would get worried. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
Jenny Lawson, aka the Bloggess, shares stories of her life, from her bizarre childhood growing up as the daughter of a taxidermist obsessed with animals both living and dead, to surreal conversations with her long-suffering husband, to accounts of various I Love Lucy-esque escapades. (Well, if Lucy swore a lot and worried about the zombie apocalypse more often.)

If you've ever read her blog -- and if you haven't, you really should -- you know just how utterly hilarious she can be, and that is fully in evidence here. I was already smiling by the time I finished looking over the table of contents, and by the end of the two-page introduction, I was laughing out loud. And even though she also talks about some very un-funny parts of her life -- miscarriages, crippling anxiety, chronic pain, the death of her beloved dog -- she somehow finds a way to make you laugh around and through it all. ( )
  bragan | Sep 6, 2016 |
I know the stories in here sound hysterical and I was looking forward to reading this book. That said, I just could not get into the author's style of writing.gave up. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
I fell in love with Jenny's mad, and slightly off kilter writing through her Bloggess' blog, and when she posted a short excerpt from her book... well I had to get it.

When it came in the mail my boyfriend said "well, I'll just clear our scheduled because I know you'll be busy reading."

If you are familiar with The Bloggess, then you realize that Jenny breaks every single grammar rule there is, especially the one about paragraphs and run on sentences, but for some reason it really works well for her. Kind of like listening to that friend with the really unbelievable, but true stories that you just don't want to believe are true, but somehow you really are afraid they are, and can't keep yourself from listening a little longer.

I'm in trouble if this ever comes out on audio book... ( )
  CrissyMoss | Aug 14, 2016 |
I want to thank everyone who helped me create this book, except for that guy who yelled at me in Kmart when I was eight because he thought I was being "too rowdy." You're an asshole, sir.
This book is a love letter to my family. It's about the surprising discovery that the most terribly human moments—the ones we want to pretend never happened—are the very same moments that make us who we are today. I've reserved the very best stories of my life for this book... to celebrate the strange, and to give thanks for the bizarre. Because you are defined not by life's imperfect moments, but by your reaction to them. And because there is joy in embracing—rather than running screaming from—the utter absurdity of life. I thank my family for teaching me that lesson. In spades.
Introduction
This book is totally true, except for the parts that aren't.
Call me Ishmael.

In an illustrated memoir, the creator of the Bloggess blog shares humorous stories from her life, including her awkward upbringing in Texas and her relationship with her husband.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,240,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible