Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly…

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) (edition 2012)

by Jenny Lawson

Title:Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir)
Authors:Jenny Lawson
Info:Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:2013, Kindle

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

English (216)  Piratical (1)  All languages (217)
A hysterical and occasionally unbelievable memoir about growing up poor in rural Texas. The author's stream-of-consciousness, rapid-fire prose will have you laughing/snorting uncontrollably in public places. It was very awkward at work as my coworkers were constantly asking me what I was listening to.

I feel, after reading this book that I know the author and I wish her all joy and success in life. ( )
  Juva | Oct 9, 2016 |
Coming soon... ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
This book was hilarious. But I think the take-home chapter for me was "And Then I got Stabbed in the Face by a Serial Killer" where she talks about how debilitating it can be so deal with social anxiety, depression and panic attacks. The whole part about writing emails really struck a cord with me too, since I do that whole song-and-dance several times a day at work. But aside from that particular section of heavy stuff, there are some so-crazy-I-hope-it's-not-true stories that had me laughing so hard that Tyler would get worried. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
Jenny Lawson, aka the Bloggess, shares stories of her life, from her bizarre childhood growing up as the daughter of a taxidermist obsessed with animals both living and dead, to surreal conversations with her long-suffering husband, to accounts of various I Love Lucy-esque escapades. (Well, if Lucy swore a lot and worried about the zombie apocalypse more often.)

If you've ever read her blog -- and if you haven't, you really should -- you know just how utterly hilarious she can be, and that is fully in evidence here. I was already smiling by the time I finished looking over the table of contents, and by the end of the two-page introduction, I was laughing out loud. And even though she also talks about some very un-funny parts of her life -- miscarriages, crippling anxiety, chronic pain, the death of her beloved dog -- she somehow finds a way to make you laugh around and through it all. ( )
  bragan | Sep 6, 2016 |
I know the stories in here sound hysterical and I was looking forward to reading this book. That said, I just could not get into the author's style of writing.gave up. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
I want to thank everyone who helped me create this book, except for that guy who yelled at me in Kmart when I was eight because he thought I was being "too rowdy." You're an asshole, sir.
This book is a love letter to my family. It's about the surprising discovery that the most terribly human moments—the ones we want to pretend never happened—are the very same moments that make us who we are today. I've reserved the very best stories of my life for this book... to celebrate the strange, and to give thanks for the bizarre. Because you are defined not by life's imperfect moments, but by your reaction to them. And because there is joy in embracing—rather than running screaming from—the utter absurdity of life. I thank my family for teaching me that lesson. In spades.
This book is totally true, except for the parts that aren't.
Call me Ishmael.

In an illustrated memoir, the creator of the Bloggess blog shares humorous stories from her life, including her awkward upbringing in Texas and her relationship with her husband.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,833,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible