Ripper by Stefan Petrucha

by Stefan Petrucha

Authors:Stefan Petrucha
Info:Philomel (2012), Hardcover, 432 pages

Ripper by Stefan Petrucha

Carver Young has lived at an orphanage all his life, and now he’s a teenager too old to be adopted. The orphanage’s headmistress has an event to set up older orphans with apprenticeships; newspaper reporters find a new writer, and a strange old man seems interested in Carver. Snooping around leads Carver to realize the old man is a retired detective, who wants to take Carver on as his replacement! This has always been Carver’s dream, so he does all he can to impress the old man. His first mission: to find his real father. But when the evidence seems to point to Carver’s father being Jack the Ripper, he’s not sure he wants to continue as a detective. This book is a quick and interesting read, but the ending got a little jumbled for me. I feel like the author knew this would happen, because a few pages after the “a-ha!” moment, he breaks everything down so the reader understands exactly what went down. If not for that, I would have liked this book much more. That being said, the ending is somewhat open for a sequel, and I would still read that. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Carver, a 14-year-old orphan, wants to be a detective. When he is placed as the ward of a retired detective, his first "assignment" is to track down his father. But it looks like his father may be Jack the Ripper, and his investigation puts him and his friends in danger. ( )
  lilibrarian | Feb 9, 2015 |
Oh my wow! One of the most amazing reads in a long time! I would not, however, recommend that you start reading it at night. I did, and I was up until 3 am because I could not put it down. Brilliantly written and with a surprise twist at the end, Ripper will hold you in its death grasp until the very end. Very few books can surprise me the way this one did. I never saw the ending coming. One or two bad words though, and somewhat graphic descriptions of particular murder scenes but not too bad. Rating - 5 stars due to the excellent writing ( )
  SesquipedalianSays | Jan 19, 2015 |
For a YA novel it was very well written. A fun read, a surprise twist at the end. ( )
  tcgep | May 21, 2014 |
This was terrific ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
May 23, 1895 THE LENOX LIBRARY - "Let me show you a secret." Elizabeth B. Rowley liked the man's confidence.

You thought you knew him. You were dead wrong.

Carver Young dreams of becoming a detective, despite growing up in an orphanage with only crime novels to encourage him. But when he is adopted by Detective Hawking of the world famous Pinkerton Agency, Carver is given not only the chance to find his biological father, he finds himself smack in the middle of a real life investigation: tracking down a vicious serial killer who has thrown New York City into utter panic. When the case begins to unfold, however, it's worse than he could have ever imagined, and his loyalty to Mr. Hawking and the Pinkertons comes into question. As the body count rises and the investigation becomes dire, Carver must decide where his true loyalty lies. Full of whip-smart dialogue, kid-friendly gadgets, and featuring a then New York City Police Commissioner Teddy Roosevelt, Ripper challenges everything you thought you knew about the world's most famous serial killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:44 -0400)

Adopted by famous Pinkerton Agency Detective Hawking in 1895 New York, fourteen-year-old Carver Young hopes to find his birth father, but when he becomes involved in the pursuit of notorious killer Jack the Ripper, Carver discovers that finding the truth can be worse than ignorance.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,870,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible