An Appetite For Murder: A Key West Food…

An Appetite For Murder: A Key West Food Critic Mystery (edition 2012)

by Lucy Burdette

Member:carolejones
Title:An Appetite For Murder: A Key West Food Critic Mystery
Authors:Lucy Burdette
Info:Signet (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

An Appetite For Murder by Lucy Burdette

This is the first in the A Key West Food Critic Mystery series. Lucy Burdette also writes as Roberta Isleib.

Hayley Snow has moved to Key West to be with Chad Lutz which lasted about three months, when she found hi in bed with another woman. Fortunately for Hayley her college roommate, Connie, was also living in Key West and had the room to take her in. Now Hayley needed to look for a job. She had always enjoyed cooking and eating, so when see saw an ad for a Food Critic for the new Key Zest magazine she that this had to be a dream come true. But then on the downside, the magazine is owned by the woman Chad had been sleeping with. Soon the magazine owner is found poisoned by a slice of Key Lime pie and the police are at her door asking questions.

With help of Connie, a friend Eric, inquisitive neighbors, Hayley goes in search of answers to keep herself out of jail for murder.

The book has a nice selection of character who are quite interesting and like-able.

The one thing that bothered me and didn't really effect the story, is that Hayley has no job or income that we are told about, but she always seems to buy food and whatever. ( )
  yoder | Sep 20, 2013 |
‘An Appetite for Murder’ by Lucy Burdette is so food oriented that your mouth will water from page one. It is necessary to have snacks nearby when you read it or you soon will be up scavenging in your kitchen. This author has joined my list of favorite cozy writers. I am very happy that she will have a second book in this series, ‘Death in Four Courses’, coming out this September.

This delicious cozy is set in the little piece of heaven, Key West, Florida. Hayley Snow is applying for a job as food critic at Key Zest. If I was hiring, I would hired her right away as she loves food so passionately. Her vivid descriptions are superb. If your appetite is lacking, I guarantee that you will be ravenous when you read this book. Hayley has just lost her boyfriend and now is the key suspect on her old boyfriend’s new girlfriend, Kristen Faulkner.

Since this is a new series, I am hoping that we will see some of the characters that I loved the best in the next book and of course, her cat Evinrude. I felt right at home in Key West and well entertained with the delicious mystery that the author cooked up. I always love to learn a bit and this book didn’t fail in that area. Can’t tell you what I learned, that may spoil the mystery.

This cozy has friendships, dangerous situations, action, adventure plus so much great food. Hayley is impulsive and not too bright when it comes to keeping herself safe but I loved her so much that it didn’t bother me. There is a promise of possible romance in the future for Hayley.

I recommend this book to all who love cozy mysteries, especially those that are food oriented. ( )
  Carolee888 | Apr 23, 2012 |
Hayley Snow moved from New Jersey to Key West with Chad Lutz after knowing him for only a few days. But after only a couple of months, she walked into their bedroom to find him with another woman.

Luckily, she was able to move in with her college friend Connie and help out with her housecleaning business. But her real dream was to be the food critic for the upcoming lifestyle magazine Key Zest. The main problem with this plan was that one of the owners of the magazine is Chad's new squeeze Kristen. Hayley is certain that she can work around this, until one morning the police knock on her door.

Apparently Kristen was killed, and Hayley (for some reason the police won't share with her) is the chief suspect. With no money for a lawyer and no way to prove she didn't do it, Hayley's only choice is to find out who really murdered Kristen.

Hayley is a likeable protagonist, and although the reader often wants to stop her from yet another impulsive action, her motives are believable. Just like many sitcom characters, her escapades go awry (not in as amusing a fashion as occurs on television) and she ends up in trouble.

This is a quick read, mostly because of the urge to know what's going to happen next, and the conclusion is a satisfying one.

The second, as yet untitled mystery in this series will be released in September of 2012.

*FTC Full Disclosure: Many thanks to the publisher, who sent me a copy of the book for review purposes. ( )
  Marlyn | Jan 24, 2012 |
Haley Snow leaves New Jersey to follow the man of her dreams to Key West, Florida. Things don’t go as planned when Haley learns she’s not the only woman in his life. She is determined to stay in Key West and since her entire life has revolved around food, cooking it, eating it, and writing about it, she decides to apply to be the food critic for a brand new magazine. Sounds good until Haley learns her new boss would be the other woman in her ex-boyfriend’s life. Things get crazy when the police show up at her door to question her about a murder. The other woman is dead and Haley’s career as a food critic could be over before it has even begun.

Dollycas’s Thoughts
Key West – Paradise – The perfect setting!! for mystery and mayhem!!!

Lucy Burdette weaves us through the streets of this small island, a popular tourist spot, and a place loved by both Ernest Hemingway and Tennessee Williams. Key West’s culinary influences and offerings are as diverse as its population. Haley has a variety of eateries to critique. I have absolutely fallen for this character. I want to be this character. Even with the suspicion of being a murderer. She lives in a beautiful place, has wonderful friends and even lives on a boat. Her days are filled with eating yummy food, visits with chefs, a cat herder, a tarot card reader and did I mention she lives on a boat!

The mystery is divine, it is perfectly paced and the ending is a surprise. I have an appetite for much more from Lucy Burnette and the awesome life of Haley Snow. This is very delicious debut of what will definitely be a delectable series. ( )
  dollycas | Jan 11, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451235517, Mass Market Paperback)

Hayley Snow's life always revolved around food. But when she applies to be a food critic for a Key West style magazine, she discovers that her new boss would be Kristen Faulkner-the woman Hayley caught in bed with her boyfriend! Hayley thinks things are as bad as they can get-until the police pull her in as a suspect in Kristen's murder. Kristen was killed by a poisoned key lime pie. Now Hayley must find out who used meringue to murder before she takes all the blame.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:31 -0400)

When her potential new boss at "Key Zest" magazine--Kristen Faulkner, the woman who stole her boyfriend--is murdered, aspiring food critic Hayley Snow becomes the prime suspect in the investigation and works to clear her name.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,634,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible