Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

Lies Beneath

by Anne Greenwood Brown

1995859,063 (3.46)10

Mermen, Mermaids and Promises Broken, that is what started out this whole vengeance drive this not so nice fishes have going on. When you make a promise to the menfolk you better keep it ! Well, of course somebody didn't and the issues trickled down a few generations to the present time where a young father is hunted to pay for the sins of his father. His teenage daughter just happens to be the lucky pawn girl the mermaids direct their revenge towards. Oh what a jumbled mess of love, lies and murder. The merman in charge of making the girl lusty begins to feel more than lusty, and starts to question his evil step sisters and ends up in the fishbowl for it all. This family drama has some funky tones to it that, well you'll see if you read it. There is a lot of self doubt, a lot of should searching and of course budding romance. It all ended with a mild cliffhanger, that didn't leave me clicking immediately for book 2. I enjoyed it, but something was missing. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
3 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Mermaids with some interesting background, and a male character with more depth than I expected. Lies Beneath is great in that our main character, Calder, is also a villain – he’s a killer, sucking the happiness and emotion right out of people as he drowns them. Though admittedly he seems to be on a forced diet, just for experimentation’s sake. What a way to possibly die – dragged to the watery depths in the embrace of some fabulously hot merman. *dithers a little bit in la la land* I admit, I liked him more because he was a bad guy but not the “bad boy” that so many girls fall for.

What helped make this not just another fluff young adult romance was that it WASN’T just another, girl and boy falls immediately and helplessly in love sort of a tale. Lucky us, Calder has to work to win some trust and affection from Lily. I know I’m not the only one who hates it when “love” is so easily come by.

More importantly though, there is a good story behind how all of the characters come to interact. What drew all the players together? Death and Vengeance. The family unit portrayed for the mermaids is so drastically different than that of the human family they are plotting against. What helps really suck you in is the little details you get about mermaids and how they live.

There are some interesting twists and turns in this book that I really enjoyed. Overall it was a quick and very enjoyable read. A nice choice if you’re looking for a mermaid book this summer. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
Well crafted story. I'm not a YA fan, but can see how teens would enjoy this book. Sympathetic characters, good tension throughout, nice plot twist at the end that I didn't guess. Excellent pacing. ( )
  ChrisNorbury | Apr 17, 2014 |
NOTE: I received this book to review from Netgalley.

I was very excited that I was given this book, and I'm really glad it didn't disappoint me. Granted, it wasn't anything superior, but it was a nice, light read, and I enjoyed it very much. I'm sure I could've finished it in one day, had I not been busy with a ton of other things.

Like I said, this was a very light read. Sure, there were monsters, several murders and such, but they weren't presented in a grotesque kind of way. We didn't get to see people's guts getting spilled out, or hear them scream in terror or agony or something. That was not disappointing at all.

What was slightly disappointing was that the concept didn't seem original to me. I mean, bad boy goes good, good girl goes bad, love spurts where it shouldn't. It's all sort of cliched.

Still though, I enjoyed the story, and had fun getting to know the characters.

*Calder was sweet, and those little urges he had from time to time didn't really mark him as a killer in my book. Honestly. Besides, he was trying to fight it, so that should count for something, right? What I couldn't accept though was how susceptible he was to his sisters and what they wanted of him. And the way he went on stalking Lily... it was creepy. Sort of.

*Lily wasn't the clueless girl who suddenly finds herself in the midst of trouble. She's quite aware actually, and she always seems to ask the right questions. I liked that about her. I also liked her love for poetry, and how she always found those verses that strung a chord in Calder's heart.

*Tallulah, one of Calder's sisters, was just so obvious. And that transformation she went thru... that was so... so... mermish I guess.

*Maris, the eldest sister, was the most ruthless one. I didn't like her, her coldness or her decision to pursue the unnecessary revenge.

*Pavati, the third sister wasn't impressive in any special way. I guess she was beautiful, but I didn't really feel it, nor did I care.

*Jack Pettit, the guy who had fallen in Pavati's nets... his appearances were just so random. I hope we find out more about him in the sequel.

All in all, I would recommend this book to readers who aren't afraid to let their imagination roam freely, and who want to read something light. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385742010, Hardcover)

The lore of mermaids and mermen is real! As Gretchen McNeil, author of Possess, says, "Riveting! A cold-blooded tale of secrets, revenge, and forbidden love that will leave you terrified to go in the water."

Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans and absorb their positive energy. Usually, they select their victims at random, but this time around, the underwater clan chooses its target for a reason: revenge. They want to kill Jason Hancock, the man they blame for their mother's death.

It's going to take a concerted effort to lure the aquaphobic Hancock onto the water. Calder's job is to gain Hancock's trust by getting close to his family. Relying on his irresistible good looks and charm, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter Lily. Easy enough, but Calder screws everything up by falling in love--just as Lily starts to suspect there's more to the monster-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined, and just as the mermaids threaten to take matters into their own hands, forcing Calder to choose between them and the girl he loves.

One thing's for sure: whatever Calder decides, the outcome won't be pretty.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:18 -0400)

As the only brother in a family of mermaids living in Lake Superior, Calder White is expected to seduce Lily, the daughter of the man believed to have killed the mermaids' mother, but he begins to fall in love with her just as Lily starts to suspect the legends about the lake are true.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,088,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible