Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown
2055957,211 (3.47)10

It took me a few weeks to finish this book. I wasn't able to connect with the characters the way I was hoping. The story line was great though.

I was confused when I first started reading because the main character is a male, and the cover shows a female. Even with that little aspect, the cover is gorgeous. Calder, the main character, and his sisters are mermaids. Don't expect any singing crustaceans because these aren't the Disney mermaids we are accustomed to. They are ruthless and murderous.

The relationships are odd. Calder and his sisters are pulled together every year. They can hear each others thoughts while under water. However, this only comes through when it's convenient. Calder is very stalker-like,and gave me the creeps most of the time. All of his actions seem forced. Nothing about him flowed with his character.

On to the story. I really enjoyed the author's writing style, and that's what kept me engaged. Her way with words helps move the story along. I definitely liked that the mermaids were sinister. It's nice reading a book where things aren't hunky dory. This book also shows that there are bad people otu there that are capable of having feelings and possibly redemption. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Mermen, Mermaids and Promises Broken, that is what started out this whole vengeance drive this not so nice fishes have going on. When you make a promise to the menfolk you better keep it ! Well, of course somebody didn't and the issues trickled down a few generations to the present time where a young father is hunted to pay for the sins of his father. His teenage daughter just happens to be the lucky pawn girl the mermaids direct their revenge towards. Oh what a jumbled mess of love, lies and murder. The merman in charge of making the girl lusty begins to feel more than lusty, and starts to question his evil step sisters and ends up in the fishbowl for it all. This family drama has some funky tones to it that, well you'll see if you read it. There is a lot of self doubt, a lot of should searching and of course budding romance. It all ended with a mild cliffhanger, that didn't leave me clicking immediately for book 2. I enjoyed it, but something was missing. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
3 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Mermaids with some interesting background, and a male character with more depth than I expected. Lies Beneath is great in that our main character, Calder, is also a villain – he’s a killer, sucking the happiness and emotion right out of people as he drowns them. Though admittedly he seems to be on a forced diet, just for experimentation’s sake. What a way to possibly die – dragged to the watery depths in the embrace of some fabulously hot merman. *dithers a little bit in la la land* I admit, I liked him more because he was a bad guy but not the “bad boy” that so many girls fall for.

What helped make this not just another fluff young adult romance was that it WASN’T just another, girl and boy falls immediately and helplessly in love sort of a tale. Lucky us, Calder has to work to win some trust and affection from Lily. I know I’m not the only one who hates it when “love” is so easily come by.

More importantly though, there is a good story behind how all of the characters come to interact. What drew all the players together? Death and Vengeance. The family unit portrayed for the mermaids is so drastically different than that of the human family they are plotting against. What helps really suck you in is the little details you get about mermaids and how they live.

There are some interesting twists and turns in this book that I really enjoyed. Overall it was a quick and very enjoyable read. A nice choice if you’re looking for a mermaid book this summer. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
Well crafted story. I'm not a YA fan, but can see how teens would enjoy this book. Sympathetic characters, good tension throughout, nice plot twist at the end that I didn't guess. Excellent pacing. ( )
  ChrisNorbury | Apr 17, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385742010, Hardcover)

The lore of mermaids and mermen is real! As Gretchen McNeil, author of Possess, says, "Riveting! A cold-blooded tale of secrets, revenge, and forbidden love that will leave you terrified to go in the water."

Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans and absorb their positive energy. Usually, they select their victims at random, but this time around, the underwater clan chooses its target for a reason: revenge. They want to kill Jason Hancock, the man they blame for their mother's death.

It's going to take a concerted effort to lure the aquaphobic Hancock onto the water. Calder's job is to gain Hancock's trust by getting close to his family. Relying on his irresistible good looks and charm, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter Lily. Easy enough, but Calder screws everything up by falling in love--just as Lily starts to suspect there's more to the monster-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined, and just as the mermaids threaten to take matters into their own hands, forcing Calder to choose between them and the girl he loves.

One thing's for sure: whatever Calder decides, the outcome won't be pretty.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:18 -0400)

As the only brother in a family of mermaids living in Lake Superior, Calder White is expected to seduce Lily, the daughter of the man believed to have killed the mermaids' mother, but he begins to fall in love with her just as Lily starts to suspect the legends about the lake are true.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,260,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible