The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection

by Kiera Cass

1,5461954,750 (3.78)51

English (194)  German (1)  All languages (195)
For thirty five girls, the selection is a big deal, but not all girls are the same. It wasn't supposed to happen to her. She didn't wanna be here in the Palace. She didn't want to be apart of the selection. But, here she is at the Palace finding out day after day if she has what it takes to be, the princess of Illea. America Singer lives in a time of caste systems and kings, queens, prince, and princesses. Maxon Schreave, prince of Illea, Maxon held his own selection in hopes to find love. Instead he found America Singer. America was different from the others. She didn't want to be there, but she stayed anyway. As the book goes on and the war continues Maxon's love for America grows. America's love for Maxon grows, but can 34 other girls get in the way, or will she make it to the elite.

The selection is one of my favorite books ever. I love how America goes in not wanting to do the selection but instead she might have found love? This book is full of drama and always keeps you wanting to know more. I rated this book a 5 out of 5 because it is very well written and there is always a suprise, whenever you think something good is gonna happen something (or someone) always ruins it but that's not always the case. There are alot of cliffhangers that only leave you wanting more. I guess well just have to wait to see what happens in the next book, A.K.A The Elite. ( )
  JadeR.G1 | May 22, 2015 |
This version of USA is astonishing and very original.
America is the typical adolescent girl, or maybe just my kind of adolescent girl, she's red-haired, super beautiful and super smart and doesn't care with her appearance more than she should.
She and Aspen are two people in love that are departed from each other by distance and fear and I feel that it also happens with a lot of young couples.
When she participates in the Selection and meets Maxom, while she's trying to get over Aspen, America realizes that she might fall in love again.
I loved this book and it's one of my all time favorites. This series is so involving and original I want to read these books over and over again. ( )
  anaesteves | May 21, 2015 |
**Fair warning right now, this is a review(ish) or a review-lite because I'm not sure I'm able to get things together enough on this book for what I'd call a review with nothing stuck on the end of the word ;-) **

The Selection is probably the most talked about YA novel (aside from maybe Cassandra Clare's novels) outside of book sites, lately. In both positive and negative ways. Some of the talk has undoubtedly been started by things other than the content of the novel (some drama by the editor and/or author and the possible TV pilot) . . . but a lot has also been about the book.

I'll admit that seeing a lot of really positive early reviews got me really excited for this one . . . that and the super gorgeous cover (what can I say, I'm a sucker for a pretty cover).

. . . Then some of the 'I-hate-this-book' reviews started to show up (or they were always there and I just don't follow those people on Goodreads or didn't look hard enough).

Any book that can draw such mixed reviews had me intrigued (again, just my Goodreads friends/those I follow - Goodreads as a whole has pretty balanced reviews 5 stars - 37%, 4 stars - 33%, 3 stars - 18%, 2 stars - 6%, 1 star - 4%).

So, I gave it a shot.

Described as The Bachelor or Cinderella meets The Hunger Games by the editor or blogs, I actually didn't see much, if any of The Hunger Games in The Selection. The Bachelor? Sure. With the one guy dating thirty five girls, that's kind of a given. Cinderella? Yeah, with disadvantaged (singing, even) girl becoming like a princess overnight.

Actually, though, the book reminded me a lot more of Wither. The whole set up of Illea in the beginning of the novel reminded me of the world Rhine was living in. It only reminded me more of Wither more once the story got going.

Wither had the different girls all living in a house and married to the same man, The Selection had them dating him, in Wither Rhine promises to despise him, in The Selection America's going to hate Maxon and just play along for a bit, in both the girls wonder if their feelings are changing.

That's not to say The Selection copies Wither, at all, just that it's what it reminded me of . . . and why I can't quite figure out why The Selection didn't work for me. Something about America just rubbed me the wrong way throughout the book.

She didn't seem like a real character, one that you could connect with. In the beginning she seemed obstinate just for the point of being difficult . . . then she'd start to give some and being difficult would kick in again. She just didn't work for me.

If you want to give The Selection a shot - like I said, a lot of people did love it, I'm just not one of them - do know that this is very much an introduction-y Book I. It doesn't end on a cliffhanger, per se, but it's the most prequel-like first book in a series I've read lately.

(If you read all of that, or even most of it - I love you!)
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
Hi, Dad!
*waves*
When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.  She had already decided that all our problems were solved, gone forever.  The big hitch in her brilliant plan was me.  I didn't think I was a particularly disobedient daughter, but this was where I drew the line.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

"Sixteen-year-old America Singer is living in the caste-divided nation of Illea, which formed after the war that destroyed the United States. America is chosen to compete in the Selection--a contest to see which girl can win the heart of Illea's prince--but all she really wants is a chance for a future with her secret love, Aspen, who is a caste below her"--… (more)

236 wanted5 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,174,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible