The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection

by Kiera Cass

English (167)  German (1)  All languages (168)
I really enjoyed the writing in this book. I loved America's character, she is such a sweetheart. I especially like how she treated her maids. This book has quite the love triangle though. Personally I'm rooting for Maxon as the series continues. I am really happy to say that this book didn't get as catty as I expected it to. 35 girls fighting over 1 guy, I expected more of a cat fight.

I think Maxon is a great guy, even though he is the prince he has insecurities. I like that he isn't super cocky and he's actually pretty down to earth. He has a good heart and I want America to fall in love with him.

Aspen on the other hand... I think that he's selfless in the way that he didn't want to bring America down because of the caste system. But I also think that love can be greedy, and that it was America's decision on whether or not she cared about the caste system. I think that in making that decision for her he no longer has any right to fight for her. You can't break someone's heart and then change your mind. You gave her up, so let her move on. You jerk.

I can't wait to read the next book. Kiera Cass is a really good writer, this book flowed really well and was never dull. I hope to read a lot more by her. ( )
  manka23 | Jul 29, 2014 |
The first sentence: “When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.”

Thoughts from the first and second chapter:

The writing style (first person, again) and voice pulls you in very quickly. Also you’re wondering about what the talk of numbers has to do with this story, and so you easily flip through the pages to understand what she’s going on about with a letter and royalty. She doesn't want to be a One. Umm, why not? Do these main characters never want the super, amazing, special thing/position ever in books? Doesn't seem like it. Oh, and yes, another female character who denies her beauty, but it’s sooo obvious to everyone else. The secret boyfriend: Uhh..okay? Will this turn into some kind of a love triangle or what? And apparently.

Main Character: America Singer (Yeah, really).

I have no problems with names, usually. America was a pretty common name for girls at some point in history. I have a few Americas in my family tree and so do a lot of other people, but does it make sense in this story where the country itself doesn't exist anymore? Maybe or maybe not, depending on what you want to believe.

The Plot: Well, it’s a fairly simple one. 35 girls compete to become the prince’s wife. Although, it really wasn't much of a competition or so it seemed to me. America didn't really have to try and she didn't.

The other characters:

America’s family: I liked them for the most part. I could understand why her mother wanted her to join the competition. A chance for a better life.

Aspen: I didn’t get why he wanted America to join the competition. That whole what if excuse didn’t work for me. For some reason I just didn’t like him at all.

Prince Maxon: I do like this character, but I wonder how he didn’t know that the lower caste people were going hungry and stealing to provide for their families in the first place.

Princess wannabes: Most of them, well, were meant to be unlikable. Celeste for example. She was a total witch with a capital B.

Annoying Things: A competition was promised, but there wasn't much past a few angry glares and whispering behind America’s back, let alone a real competition where they do more than just take pictures and whatever. Aspen, I couldn't stand him for some reason.

Overall: This book was entertaining for what it was. The issues with this book can be pretty easily ignored for just the quickness of the read and the entertainment factor.
Also I ship Prince Maxon and America.

Will I read the other two books: 50/50 chance. It was good, but not enough to excite me to continue. ( )
  CinaChilders | Jul 27, 2014 |
Read in June, 2014

Clearing up the mixed reviews for this book.....
"This is not a dystopian book. This is a romance with a mildly dystopian sub-plot."

If you love books with action-packed-agnst-ridden-the-world-is-gonna-end-surival this book will disappoint you. If you like paperback romances and want a new light-hearted romance with a twist you will like this book.

As I said before this is defiantly a romance novel with touches of dystopian. Any violence occurring in the novel is hinted at or quickly brushed over, so people who don't enjoy the detailed grittiness of dystopian lit will enjoy this book. It's is a casual read for people who like to fantasize about the "reality princess experience" with a touch of dystopian unease.

Summary -
The book follows a spirited Cinderella-type heroin named America, who living in near poverty dreams of a good life for herself and her loved ones. The world America lives in is governed by a caste system in which the majority of the people are born near poverty. Having fallen in love with a boy from a lower level then herself Cinderella struggles to work towards a life in which both of them can be happy. However, everything changes with the announcement of "The Selection", a contest between 38 girls for the hand of a prince". Despite her better judgement America enrolls in the Selection which overturns the life she had hoped for. Suddenly America is thrown into a nationally televised contest with a wide variety of eccentric contestants each hoping to catch the eye of the prince, who America is completely uninterested in (aside from the money provided by The Selection that will help her struggling family). As the story continues the palace, while majestic and beautiful, shows signs of instability as rebellions begin occur with increasing frequency putting America, her fellow constants, the royal family, and her society in danger. The prince, while kind is also emotionally isolated from the people around him, a trait which he will have to overcome if he is to find his future princess, stop the rebellions, and govern his people. Will America be able to help him or will their mutual stubbornness be their downfall. ( )
  AyaF | Jul 10, 2014 |
Let me say this upfront: I read the whole thing, didn't skim or skip pages. Re-posted from my blog at http://armchairauthor.wordpress.com

Stucco palace.

Just think about that phrase for a moment. Hold it in your mind. Turn it over, consider the implications. It has a lot to do with this review.

The Selection by Kiera Cass, 327 Pages

I was really excited about this book, I really wanted to like it. I am not immune to the lure of a beautiful cover featuring a beautiful girl in a gorgeous dress. A dust-jacket featuring a svelte redhead in endless ruffles of turquoise tulle reflected back in different poses by a bank of water-spotted mirrors, wrapped around a Tiffany-blue hardback stamped with a silver tiara. Despite my disdain for bodice-ripping romances I can enjoy a made-for-TV romantic comedy or an episode of The Bachelor while I’m cooking dinner, so I was game to give the YA dystopian fantasy a shot.

This is a book that tries to bridge the gap between The Hunger Games and Twilight. Someone was bound to try soon enough, those two incredibly popular series combined would seem like a golden ticket to publication. On the one hand, we have a highly regulated society in which many are starving and it is very difficult to move across the government’s dividing lines, hosting a competition to publicly elevate one of its number above the rest. On the other we have a novel completely centered around a love triangle, with a heroine who is a bit of a Mary Sue.

America Singer is a tri-lingual, naturally beautiful musician with a secret boyfriend of a lower caste. Being a Five is not so great, it is an artisan class with sporadic work that leaves her family perpetually short on food, but her boyfriend Aspen has it worse as a Six in the servant class. She has the big-time hots for this boy and they have two years worth of treehouse trysts backed up, creating an incredible pressure that they’d like to relieve post-marriage (pre-marital sex is ground for imprisonment). Big no-no, America’s momma is hoping she will use her pretty face to marry up at least two castes. When a Cinderella-esque invitation arrives exhorting America to enter a lottery for a chance to win a place in a competition to win the hand of the crown-prince of Illéa, becoming a One in the process, her mother is practically foaming at the mouth and even secret-boytoy Aspen doesn’t want her to pass up the opportunity.

She is persuaded to enter, and of course she is selected.

Many blogs have already likened this novel to The Bachelor, and I would have to say that it actually reads like Bachelor fan-fiction with a prince subbed for the schmuck. America is incredibly judgmental of the other Selected, often based on a single visual impression or line of dialogue, yet these judgements are never false. The sexy brunette is seductive and conniving, the bubbly blonde is sweet as pie. Everything plays out as exactly as you might guess, in the most clichéd manner possible. The palace is repeatedly attacked by mysterious rebels with no definite purpose in scenes that fail to thrill. The book is light on both dialogue and description, propelled by endless stated actions and sentiments “I walked downstairs and then sat in a chair and then ate dinner. It was delicious. I felt full.” There were several paragraphs in which every sentence began with “I”. The scant dialogue all sounds the same, though the novel depicts characters from a range of social classes and geographic locations. I wouldn’t even know if I split an infinitive, but there were many glaring errors in mechanics, as though someone printed their fan-fiction straight from the computer and had it bound. Unfortunate dialogue tags abound, everyone “sings” everything. At one point I wondered if this book were supposed to be a musical.

The heroine herself comes across as inconsistent and disingenuous. She is home-schooled and plays the victim of incomprehensible feminine politics, but makes unerring judgements of her fellow ladies and presumes to give Maxon advice on interacting with them. At one point she states that she wants nothing more than to be alone with a violin, on the next page she is alone in her room with a selection of instruments and says she can’t “be bothered” with them. She claims to be madly in love with Aspen but only seems to think or feel anything about him when he is directly in her line of sight. She performs actions that are inconsistent with the reader’s knowledge if her character, simply because they seem to be on the author’s checklist of princessly characteristics.

The romance is pretty dull. With America and Aspen it is a lot of forbidden horny leg-rubbing; America and Maxon engage in slightly more interesting conversation about why he sucks (America is a real charmer).

This is not the worst of it, you guys, and I’m sorry for rambling on. I’m almost done.

The worst failure of this novel is a failure of the imagination. I could deal with a stupid plot and two-dimensional characters if I got some great poetic language, engaging world-building, or sumptuous descriptions of luxurious locales and fashion. The author seems to have an obsession with cap-sleeves, everything America wears has them! I’m not sure if it was a deliberate choice to make her seem demure or a lack of creativity. The sumptuous cuisine? Bacon, eggs, and pancakes; or vanilla ice cream with fruit. Literally dozens of female characters have names but no physical descriptions or personalities, even when they have speaking parts. COME. ON. The palace is made of stucco (but has marble floors). Stucco, you guys. It was described in a way that made me picture the mansion they always use on The Bachelor, but it is somehow big enough to house more than two hundred people, forty or so with their own rooms and enormous individual bathrooms. Magic.

I am disappoint. This could have had real potential if a tougher editor had entered the picture. ( )
2 vote ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
I loved this book. I just can't help myself when it comes to dystopian young adult books. America is a great character and Cass makes her feel like a 'real' teen - just one in a different world. I can feel America's uncertainity, and I feel the unfairness of the whole institution of selection, even if its not actually brought up in the book that much. But then again - by not talking about how weird/strange it is Cass really puts the reader in the world of Illéa.

I'm truly baffeled by the mixed reviews this book has recieved. I'm an adult who enjoys YA books, I read them because they are entertaining - that's it. Its a nice way to spend an hour or so. I'm not concerned with the moral or anthing like that - I want to be able to block out the fat man sitting next to me on the train while I commute. If you like YA distopian books and a good time read The Selection, if you take life too seriously then don't read it. ( )
  sscarllet | Jul 1, 2014 |
Hi, Dad!
*waves*
When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.  She had already decided that all our problems were solved, gone forever.  The big hitch in her brilliant plan was me.  I didn't think I was a particularly disobedient daughter, but this was where I drew the line.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

"Sixteen-year-old America Singer is living in the caste-divided nation of Illea, which formed after the war that destroyed the United States. America is chosen to compete in the Selection--a contest to see which girl can win the heart of Illea's prince--but all she really wants is a chance for a future with her secret love, Aspen, who is a caste below her"--… (more)

236 wanted5 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible