The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection

by Kiera Cass

2012 (11) 2012-release (6) 2013 (15) castes (6) contest (7) dystopia (40) dystopian (27) ebook (13) fantasy (18) fiction (25) girls (5) library (5) love (7) love triangle (6) marriage (10) prince (13) princess (7) read (9) read in 2012 (13) read in 2013 (7) reality tv (6) romance (50) royalty (16) science fiction (18) series (15) teen (20) to-read (69) unread (5) YA (38) young adult (53)

English (149)  German (1)  All languages (150)
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. I have totally been sucked in to the whole Hunger Games meets the Bachelor imaging I'm getting with this one. So no killing each other but girls can be vile without too much violence in the technical sense. Altough that Celeste did get physical and dig her claws into poor America. Looking forward to the next book. I hear I am starting these just in time as the next book will be out next month. I have time to get all caught up. Yeah! ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Apr 1, 2014 |
This novel is patently ridiculous. There are basically no positive female characters. All the women are shown as ridiculously meek, brazen hussies or too self centered to be useful. I am baffled that this became a trilogy and that they are are always checked out. I will not be reading the other books and I wouldn't recommend this title to most readers. ( )
1 vote SparklePonies | Mar 30, 2014 |
America Singer is selected as part of an elite group of girls who are possible spouses for the crown prince of a place which was in the past the United States. Society has been split into a strict caste system. America has fallen in love with a boy in the caste beneath her and he feels their relationship is doomed. With a broken heart, America goes to the palace and with her straight-talk befriends the prince.
There is a lot in the society that is going on beneath the surface that the teens are starting to try to figure out.
Characters are likeable and the story is a quick read. This will be a hit with many at my middle school. ( )
  ewyatt | Mar 25, 2014 |
Rating 4.5

This book is so good. I enjoyed it so much. The characters, the love story, the drama, the pacing. It was all done so well.
Can't wait to read the novella and 'The Elite'

Full review on my blog: www.thebooktower.webs.com ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
What if you had the chance to become royal? This chance presents itself to America Singer in Kiera Cass's 'The Selection'. America has the chance to apply to be one of 35 girls fighting for Prince Maxon and the crown of Illea. The only problem is America already has a boyfriend at home, Aspen. But when the couple gets into a fight over money, America decides to apply. Thinking to herself the whole time when she will be able to extricate herself and her feelings cleanly when she is sent home. After she meets the crown prince, though, she is having second thoughts. Will she find her real prince in Maxon? Aspen? Or will she return home with a double case of broken heart?

I LOVED this book! I am officially hooked on the series! It was the perfect mix of romance and suspense to keep me up for the night, until I finished it. At first I wasn't sure I would like this book, but unfortunately I am a sucker for princess romance novels. Although be warned this book draws you in, then the plot takes a sharp turn. The Selection can be very emotional or very funny but it has always been a page turner! I would recommend this book for girls my age or older.

Go team Maxon! ( )
  DresdenG.B1 | Mar 20, 2014 |
Hi, Dad!
*waves*
When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.  She had already decided that all our problems were solved, gone forever.  The big hitch in her brilliant plan was me.  I didn't think I was a particularly disobedient daughter, but this was where I drew the line.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

"Sixteen-year-old America Singer is living in the caste-divided nation of Illea, which formed after the war that destroyed the United States. America is chosen to compete in the Selection--a contest to see which girl can win the heart of Illea's prince--but all she really wants is a chance for a future with her secret love, Aspen, who is a caste below her"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,577,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible