dismiss

The Selection

by Kiera Cass

Series: Selection (1)

"Sixteen-year-old America Singer is living in the caste-divided nation of Illéa, which formed after the war that destroyed the United States. America is chosen to compete in the Selection--a contest to see which girl can win the heart of Illéa's prince--but all she really wants is a chance for a future with her secret love, Aspen, who is a caste below her"--… (more)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aleana, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these series have young teens involved in a rigorous selection process to be matched with their future spouse. Political intrigue and the darker side of these dystopian societies set on a future earth add intensity and action.
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (Pluederhausen)
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Aleana)

English (378)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (382)
The Selection is a wonderful combination of a dystopian novel and a bacheloresk romance. The premise of this story is that once the prince, in this case the beloved Maxon, comes of age, there is a selection of young women from the country for him to chose a wife from. Thirty-five women are invited to the palace and Maxon must chose which of them is to be his future wife. The women are selected from all backgrounds (at least that is what is believed despite the overwhelming amount of girls from the higher castes) as a means of reminding the people that they are still connected to the royal family.

One America Singer, a Five, is chose against her will to travel to the palace to become one of Maxon's many girlfriends. Yet, unlike most of the girls there, America doesn't want to win, the man or the crown. Her heart belongs to another, yet their difficult romance is severed days before America is placed among thirty-four other girls.

I read this for the first time in middle school, and my middle school self was completely obsessed. A good five years later, I still find myself swooning over Maxon and Aspen (I might just be as romantically confused as America). America is a lovable and relatable character; she is a dose of reality and complexity in a sea of the noble. This is a uplifting, sweet novel that I highly recommend, especially if you need something to read during a pandemic.

The Selection is coming to Netflix...
I'm not going to lie, I'm a little worried. I feel like this could be batched if it isn't done right. It is going to be directed by Haifaa Al-Mansour, who also directed Nappily Ever After. I haven't heard any dates, but it is something to look forward to. ( )
  AvaGuerra | Aug 3, 2020 |
This book has been on my radar for a while now, it had an eye catching cover and I got to read it for free on kindle unlimited and loved it! It was fun read, however i'm not fan of all the names but I am rooting for Maxon. I like the book that much that I have bought the rest of the collection to read.
  JesseekaG | Jul 30, 2020 |
Series Info/Source: This is the first book in The Selection series. There are five books in that series. I got this as an audiobook through Audible.com.

Audiobook Quality (4/5): The audiobook was well done. The narrator did a good job with character voices and it was pleasant to listen to, no complaints.

Story (4/5): I liked this more than I thought I was going to. I thought this was going to be another boring YA dystopian sci-fi book, but it ended up catching my interest. It is set in a sort of futuristic setting where the US is broken down into different countries. The main character, American Singer, is in one of the newer nations and her nation is strictly managed under a caste system. However, she is given the chance to compete in The Selection where girls from the nation compete to see who will marry Prince Maxon.

I was worried this was going to be about women being catty with each other and fighting over a prince, there was a bit of that but it wasn't too bad. There is a lot of time spent with American getting comfortable being away from home and getting to know Maxon. The surrounding activities with the rebels were intriguing and mysterious.

Characters (4/5): I enjoyed both American and Prince Maxon as characters. I was completely prepared for Prince Maxon to be a jerk, but was impressed with the depth of his character and with how much I liked him. I should warn that there is also a love triangle here which I am normally not a fan of. However, American is smart and pretty much tells her old boyfriend (Aspen) where she stands since she is committed to the Selection. So it's a love triangle where the heroine isn't an idiot.

Setting (4/5): I found the alternate history setting intriguing and enjoyed the pieces of history that are slowly shown to us to help us unravel how this alternate United States got to be where it is in the story. I also found the caste system interesting

Writing/Drawing Style (4/5): The book is decently written and kept my interest. I wasn’t completely enthralled with it but did end up enjoying the characters. I do wish we had got to see more of the world and learn a bit more about the rebels. I am guessing that will be the topic of later books in the series.

My Summary (4/5): Overall I enjoyed this but didn’t love it. I liked the characters more than I thought I would and enjoyed some of the mystery around the rebels. I am unsure right now if I will continue with the series or not. It has a lot of elements from other YA series in it and I think I know how it's going to play out already. However, it is decently written so I might go ahead and finish it up. I’ll give it some time and see if I forget about it or if I am yearning to read more of it. ( )
  krau0098 | Jul 24, 2020 |
1415 ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
this book is the bachelor on steroids.

if you like cheesy hallmark movies and romcoms, this book is for you. it hits all the beats of your usual ya dystopia in if not the foreground, then in the background. since i've already read this series and know where it's going, it's easier for me to pick out but boy is it there and is it obvious.

it's not the best written book out there and it's hardly the most original (like i said: bachelor, ya dystopian) and a lot of the characters can seem flat or vapid, but really this book to me is the equivalent of just putting in a romcom i've seen a million times even if it is straight, white, and predictable, and just settling in for the ride.

if i read this book critically, i'd probably have so much to say (i mean the names? america? shalom? we get it) but honestly? i have so much more fun just reading this and enjoying it for what it is. not high literature, but just something i can gasp at and sometimes make fun of when Serious Reading is too much or too boring

tl;dr: embrace the hallmark romcom and accept it for what trash it may be, you'll have a good time
  bloomingtea | Jun 28, 2020 |

Kiera Cassprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rubinate, AmyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Hi, Dad!
*waves*
When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,296,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible