The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection

by Kiera Cass

Matched by Ally Condie (Aleana, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these series have young teens involved in a rigorous selection process to be matched with their future spouse. Political intrigue and the darker side of these dystopian societies set on a future earth add intensity and action.
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Aleana)
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (Pluederhausen)

English (250)  German (1)  All languages (251)
The story is reminiscent of "The Bachelor." Although parts of the story are predictable, America's decision at the end pleased me. ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |

I know people say don;t judge a book by its cover but I am glad i did this time. I loved this book i was hooked from the very first page. Its starts of with the letter it was straight to the point.
When Aspen left America I was heart broken but quickly got over that when she met Maxon. They are perfect for each other.
I always seem to pick books that are in a series and always have to wait until the next book comes out. The selection ends with only the elite left and a cliffhanger Why would Kiera Cass put me through that!
For all those people saying this book doesn't make sense, about the monarchy and the history you are just over thinking this book just read it and don't ask questions, just read the whole thing and you will enjoy it.
But if you don't like this book that is your opinion.

I give this book 5/5 and also since this is meant to be related to the hunger games let me tell you what means yes there are no fight to the death but there are girls competing for one thing and instead of their life it is to get married to the prince also there is a love triangle with Aspen America and Maxon and that is like the triangle in the hunger games with Peeta Katniss and Gale. Also America loves her sister so much and in the hunger games, who loves their sister a lot as well? Katniss.

Over all I loved this book and it is one of my favourite books I have read ( )
  gracefranks25 | Apr 24, 2016 |
The Selection by Kiera Cass
#1 The Selection
Audio narrated by Amy Rubinate

This is a great start to a dystopian series about a royal prince trying to choose his bride using a reality show setting. Prince Maxon is the future king of Ilia (sp?? I listened to audio), a small country set somewhere in post-World War Three America, an area now divided into small warring countries after an overthrow of the occupying government of China. Ilia is now divided by a caste system; the elite being Ones or Twos, moving down to the lowest caste of Eights, who are the poorest of the poor, where most of the criminal activities take place and people are starving.

America Singer, a Five, is the middle of five children and like all her siblings, she is also responsible to help provide for her family. All children must find their gifts and decide how they will find employment. America's family is artistic (some are sculptors, some are musicians, America plays multiple instruments and sings). When her name comes up as being the right age to participate in the contest for the hand of Prince Maxon, she is totally against taking part. One reason is her presumption that Prince Maxon is a stuck-up wimp; but more importantly, she is already in love with her secret boyfriend of two years, Aspen Leger, a boy who is in a lower class than her family. Their secret trysts in her treehouse where they spend time kissing could lead to both of their deaths.

She finally agrees to take part after being guilted by her mother to help raise their family up to a higher level which would give them needed financial help. She also is encouraged by her beloved Aspen, who knows he could never give her what she deserves. When she reaches the castle she is unprepared for the back-stabbing and game-playing females all competing for Maxon, for the frequent rebel attacks on the castle which forces them to hide within the castle, and for her changing opinion of the Prince, who turns out to be a close friend and perhaps more. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Apr 4, 2016 |
Good "guilty pleasure" read! ( )
  nicholsm | Mar 29, 2016 |
America Singer was born in a world where castes were the only thing known. There were eight castes and the people in them were ranked from #8 being the poorest caste to #1 being the living dream of all people. America is caste five, which are the entertainers. The prince, Maxon, wants to hold a selection where all the selected girls go to the palace and compete for his heart. As soon as America arrives to the palace, there is a high number of awkward moments she's created. Throughout the book, America becomes good friends with Maxon but she's not sure whether she wants to take it a step farther. The book ends with her deciding to herself that she likes Maxon which leads to them having many romantic moments.

I gave this book a five star rating because I love romance categorized books. America and Maxon's love story is so admirable and it just made me feel bubbly inside. I couldn't take my eyes off of this book no-matter how hard I tried to and it was one of the best books I've ever read. This book entwined me with the emotions it carried and there were so many high and low moments of it. It was literally like an emotional rollercoaster where there were ups and downs and twisty, tricky situations. I loved it so much and continued to read the rest of the series. I'd recommend this book to anyone who loves romance genre books because this was full of those lovely moments. ( )
  ClaireC.B3 | Mar 29, 2016 |
Hi, Dad!
*waves*
When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

"Sixteen-year-old America Singer is living in the caste-divided nation of Illea, which formed after the war that destroyed the United States. America is chosen to compete in the Selection--a contest to see which girl can win the heart of Illea's prince--but all she really wants is a chance for a future with her secret love, Aspen, who is a caste below her"--… (more)

617 wanted6 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,907,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible