The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection

by Kiera Cass

1,6382064,405 (3.8)56
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aleana, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these series have young teens involved in a rigorous selection process to be matched with their future spouse. Political intrigue and the darker side of these dystopian societies set on a future earth add intensity and action.
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Aleana)
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (Pluederhausen)

English (204)  German (1)  All languages (205)
3.5/5 stars
I post all my reviews to athroneofbooks.booklikes.com

“One can never help being born into perfection.”

World’s worst character name goes to...*Drumroll*…America Singer! Congratulations Mer, you earned it. It took me pretty much the whole book to adjust to her name. And FINALLY around 60% they give a reason for why she was named America. Makes it much easier for me to deal with, even though it didn’t make me hate her name any less. Of course there’s much more to a book than character names.

The banter and conversations between America and Maxon felt fun to me. They sound like countless conversations I’ve had in my life. I read a few reviews that called the dialogue unrealistic and I just laughed. Maybe to you, but not to me.

My guilty pleasure has always been reality tv. I have a habit of saying oh goodness that show looks stupid, then proceeding to put it on and bingewatch the whole season. When I heard what this was about I was so excited, reality tv in a book? Count me in! I can see why people may have found the book unlikable or annoying but it was fun for me. It was my guilty pleasure in a whole new form. The contestants you root for and the ones you want to stab are in the book. And with the setting being a competition you always wonder if you can really trust the others.

My only big complaint about the book was how long it took to get a real description of how the world came into being. I believe it was at 63% before they explained everything that had happened to create the new world Illea. Up until that point I was like I love this, but how the hell did it come to this caste system and monarchy in what used to be the USA?

Even if I hated every other aspect of the book, which I didn’t, I would have still loved Maxon. He’s sweet, clueless, funny, and next in line to rule the country. I felt like another contestant who was unnoticed by the prince and was jealous of all the attention he gave to America. NOTICE ME MAXON, PLEASE!

Yes a lot of people stated that this is a book that’s all fluff, no substance. Sometimes that’s what I want. I had a shitty week and wanted to enjoy a book, get lost in a world where I’m not cleaning floors and having back pain. And this book did that. I don’t generally pick up a YA reality tv-esque book when I want substance. Though I wouldn’t be upset if it offered that as well. So to sum up, this book brought me the relaxing evening away from my worries that I was hoping for when I opened it up. ( )
  MarandaNicole | Jul 15, 2015 |
Interesting concept, the prince having to choose his wife from a selection of 35 girls. There were some problems with the writing; very simple, short cuts, lack of development in characters, very predictable and sometimes just all over the place yet I found myself entertained and intrigued and enjoyed it in spite of all that. ( )
  maggie1961 | Jul 10, 2015 |
(This review is a synopsis of the 3 book series, but doesn't contain major spoilers.)

First of all — how beautiful are these covers? Honestly, they are breathtaking.

In Illéa’s caste system, America Singer is a 5. That means that she, and her family, must find a career in the arts (regardless of the demand for their craft). America is lucky enough to have a beautiful singing voice and she loves to play instruments, so she doesn’t seem to mind too much. Illéa is a newly formed country set in the future consisting of North America and Latin America. The country is ruled by King Clarkson and Queen Amberly. They have a single heir, Maxon, and he has finally come of age. Unlike princesses, who are married off into other royal families, princes get to participate in the “Selection.” (Think The Bachelor, but with citizens of Illéa.)

America doesn’t want to sign up because she has a secret love — Aspen. But the Selection will pay her poor family for participating, and Aspen insists that she try to have a chance at a better life. Marrying Aspen would downgrade her to a 6, only two steps away from homelessness and poverty. On the other hand, marrying Prince Maxon would make her a One, the highest caste in Illéa. When America is chosen to participate out of thousands of eligible young women, her family is ecstatic — the complete opposite of her feelings.

America enters the glamorous, regal life of the royal family, and must compete with 34 other daughters of Illéa for the heart of Prince Maxon. At first, she isn’t interested. Why would she want some stuck-up prince when she has someone waiting for her at home? But Maxon isn’t what he seems, and it changes America’s plans…

The first three books, The Selection, The Elite, and The One, embody the entirety of Prince Maxon’s Selection (the Elite are the top six, the One is the one he chooses). The books are filled with butterfly-in-stomach romance, catty girlfights, love triangles, and surprisingly some political strife. America grows with each book, becoming more and more of what Illéa needs in a Princess — but will she be the One Prince Maxon chooses?

I purchased this in a beautiful 3-book box set that included a bonus from the novellas that Kiera Cass wrote from different characters’ points of view. I read these three books in record time — they were day-dreamy guilty pleasure reads, and I found myself continuously lost in world of Illéa. ( )
  Ellie.Pelto | Jul 7, 2015 |
The Selection is one of my favorite books. There are many, many reasons for this. I love the plot, the characters, the writing style, and the world Kiera Cass has created. What I would give to live in America's shoes!

Although I wasn't thrilled in the very beginning because quickly a love triangle was formed, it was soon revealed that the love triangle could easily be overlooked. They don't bring it up very often and one of the boys isn't even really mentioned until the end.

Kiera created characters like America Singer, a stubborn red head who is in caste 5 and because of this works as a singer and a dancer, the alternative being an artist. Then there is her secret boyfriend Aspen Leger, a caste 6 who wants nothing but the best for the girls in his life, him being raised one of the poorest castes. Lastly, (that I'm going to talk about, there are many, many other characters you can come to love and adore but I decided to only speak of the main three) there is Prince Maxon Schreave, the boy America will have to fall in love with to become Princess. He is holding the Selection in these books and is looking for a wife. He is sweet and poetic and good humored. He's like any other boy, just more oblivious and open to more resources.

Don't even get me started on Kiera's writing! It was understandable, which is good. Not like classics where there is a whole page dedicated to how metaphoric and descriptive the texture of a blade of grass can be with all those old, fancy words, this book uses common yet descriptive words most people understand and makes sure nothing is running on. Also, she only adds relevant parts. I don't recall thinking, "Ugh, this scene is so irrelevant, why do I care?" Not to mention, it was a fairly simple read. If you had the time, you could read it in a single sitting.

So basically, a book about a relatable poor girl who gets chosen to live in a castle and learn to live like a princess while being stuck in a love triangle sounds pretty fantastic. I don't think I ever will not give this five stars. ( )
  BooksWithABrunette | Jun 27, 2015 |
When America Singer is chosen, along with thirty four other girls, to compete for the hand of the prince, she finds herself torn between a hometown sweetheart and the intoxicating palace life. A la bachelor style, Prince Maxon wines and dines the girls, occasionally eliminating one or two from the competition. America, despite her lack of interest, finds herself drawn to the Prince.

I had a blast reading this book. Yes, it was simplistic, yes it wasn't very in-depth, but it was appealing, interesting and fast-paced. Overall, a great beach book, weekend book, or just something to sit back and relax with. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Jun 25, 2015 |
Hi, Dad!
*waves*
When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.  She had already decided that all our problems were solved, gone forever.  The big hitch in her brilliant plan was me.  I didn't think I was a particularly disobedient daughter, but this was where I drew the line.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

"Sixteen-year-old America Singer is living in the caste-divided nation of Illea, which formed after the war that destroyed the United States. America is chosen to compete in the Selection--a contest to see which girl can win the heart of Illea's prince--but all she really wants is a chance for a future with her secret love, Aspen, who is a caste below her"--… (more)

587 wanted5 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,483,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible