The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection (edition 2013)

by Kiera Cass (Author)

Member:UWBCLibrary
Title:The Selection
Authors:Kiera Cass (Author)
Info:HarperTeen (2013), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Matched by Ally Condie (Aleana, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these series have young teens involved in a rigorous selection process to be matched with their future spouse. Political intrigue and the darker side of these dystopian societies set on a future earth add intensity and action.
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Aleana)
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (Pluederhausen)

English (288)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All (291)
This dystopian fiction is perfect in trend with the Hunger Games, Bachelorette, and the newest of dystopian series. It will draw females in with the strong character lead and the rags to riches plot line that is easy to follow. However, it will still challenge the student's comprehension level by guessing the reactions throughout the series.
  EmilyRhoads | Aug 30, 2017 |
Let me first state that I HATE "The Bachelor" [which will now be referred to as that unnamed show] I have seen bits and pieces of it, and never have I not wanted to read a book because it was a cross between that unnamed show and well, let's be honest, Cinderella.

So with much trepidation I picked up this little tome and within chapters, I was sucked in. [She curses under her breath.] Ms Cass's writing style is easy to read and her main character is charming. I'm already into the next installment, so we shall see if my piqued interest continues. ( )
  lollyletsgo | Aug 10, 2017 |
Dystopian future meets The Bachelor, and it's not all bad.

Flash forward to Illéa, the America of the future. A world where you are born into a caste, and your number determines your life. The higher your number, the lower your caste. America Singer is a 5, the caste of artists and performers. She sings (get it, America SINGER?), and has the misfortune of falling in love with a 6. Her secret love is interrupted by her invitation to the selection, the contest hosted by the royal family to determine Prince Maxon's bride.

Will America make it to the finals? Well, it's a series, so you can do the math for yourself. But the path to getting there is fun, and I like both her and the Prince. And most especially I like the Queen, and hope we see more of her in the next books. Light romance, catty women, and a strong female lead. Not particularly life-changing or swoon-worthy, but an interesting take on YA dystopia. 3 stars. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
35 perfekte Mädchen - und eine von ihnen wird erwählt. Sie wird Prinz Maxon, den Thronfolger des Staates Illeá, heiraten. Für die hübsche America Singer ist das die Chance, aus einer niedrigen Kaste in die oberste Schicht der Gesellschaft aufzusteigen und damit ihre Familie aus der Armut zu befreien. Doch zu welchem Preis? Will sie vor den Augen des ganzen Landes mit den anderen Mädchen um die Gunst eines Prinzen konkurrieren, den sie gar nicht begehrt? Und will sie auf Aspen verzichten, ihre heimliche große Liebe? ( )
  Jules1234 | Aug 6, 2017 |
Enjoyable to a point. Others have expressed the failings of the story better than I could but still, I enjoyed it. I kept hoping for more (better political intrigue? Read Phillipa Gregory, better altruism Maria Snyder, better world building...everyone) but somehow I still like dAmerica Singer, so found time spent reading this not a waste, slightly vapid and insipid, but not a total waste. ( )
  HunyBadger | Jul 6, 2017 |

Kiera Cassprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rubinate, AmyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hi, Dad!
*waves*
When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce cmpetition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,935,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible