The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection (edition 2012)

by Kiera Cass

Member:CAS2199
Title:The Selection
Authors:Kiera Cass
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Matched by Ally Condie (Aleana, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these series have young teens involved in a rigorous selection process to be matched with their future spouse. Political intrigue and the darker side of these dystopian societies set on a future earth add intensity and action.
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Aleana)
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (Pluederhausen)

English (281)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All (284)
Amazing but defiantly for older readers ( )
  eoiseknight | Mar 16, 2017 |
I would suggest this book to anyone who likes drama and royalty. This is the first book in the series of three.

The Selection is about how whenever the prince of the country called Ilea becomes of age to get married they have a contest and they pick one girl form every province to come to the palace and become one of the selected. Being selected is a really big thing in Ilea. Once you are selected you get to go to the palace and compete to become the next princess of Ilea. So this story is about one of the selected girls and her name is America. Before America entered the contest she had a secret boyfriend. America thought that the whole selection was stupid and so she didn't want to enter. One night when she secretly crept outside to meet her boyfriend he bribed her into entering. The next morning her mom came into her room and also bribed her. Her mothers bribe was that she could keep the money she earned when ever she had a solo performance and that she could start doing solo performances. So America signed up and after the next two weeks that Friday the special news report called the Report came on and that was when they announced who was going to be the selected from their province. When the reporter said America's name the rest of her family jumped up and started to cheer wile America just sat there shocked. The next week was full of different items preparing her for the palace. When that week was done America had a farewell in her town square. After she had her farewell she was driven to the airport. Once she got to the palace everyone got to meet the prince. This was Prince Maxon's first time seeing all the selected girls. When the girls got there once they meet the prince and then were whisked away to the women's room in the palace. Once they were in the women's room they had to get princes ready. After each one was ready they got their picture taken and then went to their new rooms. When America got to her room she met her maids and their names were Anne, Lucy, and Mary. A few weeks later the palace was attacked by rebels and when that happened America brought her maids with her down to the room where the royal family was to be stationed in case this were to happen. Everyone thought that she was crazy but America didn't care the only thing that she cared about was the safety of her maids. A few weeks passed and on one of America's and Maxon's dates they went to the movie theater in the palace. While they were walking towards the doors they heard a sudden gasp and sure enough it turned out to be Aspen, America's former secret boyfriend. When Maxon asked the guard to step forward and Aspen did Maxon started having a conversation and then put Aspen on the night duty station in front of America's bedroom door. At the end of the book Maxon came to a decision that it was time to make a decision on the Elite but instead of ten girls he narrowed it down to six. That is when America finally realizes that she is exactly where she ought to be among one of the Elite. ( )
  ellas.bg3 | Mar 13, 2017 |
Not bad. I'll read the second one. ( )
  laura.w.douglas | Mar 9, 2017 |
I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I had heard that America is annoying, but I didn't find her so.

I wouldn't exactly call "The Selection" dystopian, as it doesn't really seem any worse than reality. This story is a beautiful conglomeration of elements from "The Hunger Games", "Matched", "Princess Academy", Cinderella, "The Bachelor" and the biblical story of Esther. I'm sure there are more, but these are the stories I was reminded of as I read "The Selection".

The love triangle, in particular, reminded me of those in "The Hunger Games" and "Matched". I love both Aspen and Maxon and have had a hard time deciding which one I want to be with America, just as she struggles to decide. I love the friendship between America and Maxon and at this point in the series, I want America to choose Aspen (despite his hissy fit) and remain a good friend to Maxon.

There were other things that reminded me of "The Hunger Games" as well, such as the lottery, the payments to the families of the Selected, "The Report" along with its host Gavril, etc.

The training to be a princess is what reminds me of "Princess Academy" and I really enjoyed that aspect of it as well.

The gathering of women, some from less fortunate backgrounds, wearing dresses and competing for one man's heart was reminiscent of Cinderella and Esther as well as "The Bachelor".

It does contain the common mistake of using "Your Majesty" and "Your Highness" interchangeably, and the also common insistence that "even though EVERYONE says that I'm beautiful, I promise you, reader, I'm not even pretty." So, that was kind of annoying.

I won't pretend this book is excellent quality, but it did its job as entertainment and I really enjoyed it. On to "The Elite"! ( )
  danaenicole | Mar 4, 2017 |
The Selection is set in a dystopian future where Canada & North America have become a new country of Illea. There is a numbered Caste System, where artists and performers are only a 5 out of 8 caste levels. America Singer is one of those performers. She's a singer and plays a few instruments. Her family is a 5 which means the family struggles to make ends meet. None of this matters to America because she's trained herself to go without as little as possible. She does have a problem - she's in love with a 6, one of the working castes and the two usually don't mix. Before they can get married there's a lot of paperwork and an added difficulty that her boyfriend doesn't want to get married yet because he wants to be able to provide for her. There's a coming of age prince and by tradition all of Illea's of-age young women and put into a Selection. America fights applying because she won't give up her boyfriend Aspen. It's Aspen himself who encourages America to sign-up so she does, never believing she's be selected. America is chosen and has made a connection with Prince Maxon. Someone has to be chosen, America is sure she can convince Maxon to choose a girl she thinks would make a good Princess. The book ends with the choosing of the Elite, the final 6 girls.

I liked this story, it had good pacing and interesting characters. I had a hard time believing though that there was such a difference between a 5 and 6 caste and that an artist/performer was only 5, a little unbelievable. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
Couldn't put this book down! There are a lot of very typical YA themes and you'll notice plots from other stories, but it's such a guilty pleasure book. Many girls would love to be a princess and can probably relate to the main character, America. There is a romantic love triangle, suspense, and a poor girl being given the chance of a lifetime. Probably not the most "girl power" novel, but not every YA book needs to be. Can't wait to read the next book! Audio-Hoopla

Hi, Dad!
*waves*
When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce cmpetition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.… (more)

550 wanted7 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,242,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible