The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection (edition 2012)

by Kiera Cass

Member:CAS2199
Title:The Selection
Authors:Kiera Cass
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages

The Selection by Kiera Cass

English (185)  German (1)  All languages (186)
I started this book one evening before bed, and ended up staying up until 3 am just to finish it. It was that good. It's not a literary masterpiece, but sometimes it's good to just read a light-hearted page-turner!

This is a dystopian novel, but the dystopian aspect is not way "out there." There is some political unrest in the country, which I'm guessing will play a part in the next couple of books, but it wasn't heavy, a la Hunger Games. Basically, it's a Cinderella-type version of "The Bachelor" with a little love triangle thrown in for good measure. I loved it. I loved the characters. I can't wait to see how it all plays out. (That being my only, common, beef -- that it's part of a trilogy, and therefore not a stand-alone story in one book). ( )
  lauraodom | Apr 16, 2015 |
Plucked out of her life, America Singer reluctantly participates in the Selection, a competition where thirty-five women try to win a spot in the royal family as Prince Maxon’s bride. Cass tries to make the unfortunately named America Singer spunky, special, and a protagonist to root for; whether or not she succeeds is up to the reader. The Selection has been accurately referred to as a cross between the Hunger Games and The Bachelor, only less so. Cass continually lowers the stakes throughout the plot: Maxon verbally guarantees America a spot in the final three of the Selected and the women who are sent home enjoy elevated social status and do very well. The reality television aspect of the competition is slight and the elimination of Selected women happens mostly in a few large anti-climatic events, abruptly ending the first book in the trilogy. The Selection is a more intellectual read than watching an entire season of a Bachelor-type reality show, but only just. The Selection is best suited for readers looking for a light escapist read involving a royal palace, descriptions of pretty dresses, and a romance with (the slightly awkward) Prince Charming. Recommended for ages twelve to sixteen. ( )
  Jessie_Bear | Apr 15, 2015 |
Oh my gosh. Okay, so this book is completely and totally best described as "The Hunger Games" meets Jane Austen. I don't really know how else to put it.

Let me start by saying that this book is completely outside of my comfort zone and I am so glad that I stepped outside of my little box and read this one. This is by far one of my favorite reads of 2013 so far. Whether it will stay there is going to depend on what else I read, largely, but it definitely has set the bar VERY high.

I read this book in less than 24 hours. That should tell you something. I absolutely loved the word that was painted. I wish that we would have gotten a little more history about why things were the way they were a little earlier in the book, but the information does come out slowly.

I was completely and totally mad at Aspen for the way events changed, and I cried and laughed along with the characters as the story played out. And Celeste? Well, she needs to be ...she needs to go home. That is all I can say and still be polite!

I cannot wait to read The Elite, and will be sitting down here momentarily to read that book because I just have to find out what comes next. There is not much more I can say without spoiling the book for someone, so I will leave you with this: Read this book. You absolutely will not be sorry. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
I first became aware of this book while looking through the giveaways page. I wanted to read it so much that instead of waiting for it to come to the local library I went out and purchased it.

The cover art is beautiful. I enjoyed the book. It was a quick read, but I wasn't as excited with the way this book ended. I know that there is *hopefully* going to be another to follow it, but I wish the author hadn't dragged America's decision all the way into the second book.

I would say that the fact that this book came out during the height of the Hunger Games buzz is going to help sell this book. Now it isn't the same by any means, but I see definite similarities, girls entering a Selection process to become the princess, having to compete with other girls. Set in a dystopian land where rebels are attacking. Then the love triangle between America, Maxon, and Aspen. I'll be waiting for the next book to see how it all turns out.
  PrescottKris | Jan 26, 2015 |
Hi, Dad!
*waves*
When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.  She had already decided that all our problems were solved, gone forever.  The big hitch in her brilliant plan was me.  I didn't think I was a particularly disobedient daughter, but this was where I drew the line.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

"Sixteen-year-old America Singer is living in the caste-divided nation of Illea, which formed after the war that destroyed the United States. America is chosen to compete in the Selection--a contest to see which girl can win the heart of Illea's prince--but all she really wants is a chance for a future with her secret love, Aspen, who is a caste below her"--… (more)

236 wanted5 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,562,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible