The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection (edition 2012)

by Kiera Cass

Member:CAS2199
Title:The Selection
Authors:Kiera Cass
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Matched by Ally Condie (Aleana, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these series have young teens involved in a rigorous selection process to be matched with their future spouse. Political intrigue and the darker side of these dystopian societies set on a future earth add intensity and action.
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Aleana)
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (Pluederhausen)

English (278)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All (281)
This story explains of the life of "American Singer". America is a sixteen year old white girl. Her family is quite poor, she lives in a big family. She works a musician and a singer, expanding her musical and artistic skills. She has a forbidden love between her and a boy who lives a caste under her. (The people in Illéa are grouped in to "castes", starting with One, the most powerful and wealthy, to Eight, very poor) Her mother bargains a deal to make America enroll in a competition for the crown of Illéa and the heart of Prince Maxon. Thirty-five random girls will be picked for the competition. Unfortunately for America, she is picked. The story then tells of life in the palace for America and the small and sometimes big eliminations of girls. The book ends at the top six girls, including America.

I gave this book five stars because of its natural and interesting storyline and tale. My opinion on this book is 100% positive. It was a complete and utter master piece. I enjoyed the book from the first to last page. It was absolutely enjoyable and entertaining. The book is humorous, leaving little jokes on different sections for readers to enjoy. The book is quite interesting, leaving massive cliff-hangers for eager readers. The book also tells of two relationships, having significant romance. ( )
  mihiretB.B1 | Feb 19, 2017 |
I had picked this book up from the book store because I had seen it as a possible book I might enjoy. Well I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. It is the story of a world after four world wars. The world is different and United States is now called Illea.

This is the start of the series. There is a Selection of 35 girls for Prince Maxon. America receives one of these letters to fill out an entry form. Every household that has a girl between the ages of 16 and 20 are sent a letter and a form to fill out.

The Singer household has one girl who is between those ages and her name is America. America has a secret boyfriend and does not wish to fill out the form. Her boyfriend Aspen makes her promise she will because he doesn't want to have what if in their relationship. So America fills out the form and has to wait to see if she will be one of the 35 girls Selected.

When the girls are announced America is among the 35. She is surprised. Before she leaves Aspen and her break up over the fact that Aspen doesn't feel he can support America like she is used to since he is a lower caste than her family. America is a Five and Aspen is a Six.

The first encounter with the Prince is an interesting one. America feels claustrophobic and decides to try and get out to the garden because she likes to be outside. She actually almost faints in the Princes arms but he makes the guards open the doors to the garden so America can get outside. That encounter is one of many entertaining ones.

This book ends with the Final girls chosen to become the Elite girls. This is a very interesting book and I feel the rest of the series will be just as entertaining. ( )
  crazy4reading | Feb 17, 2017 |
When America Singer is accedentlly chosen to be one of 35 girls competing for the prince, her life is turned over. Before she was chosen she was seeing Aspen Leger, in private. Now she dosen't know who her heart belongs to: Aspen or Prince Maxon. Then Aspen becomes a palece guard. Through all the rebel attacks, mean words, and secret visits from Aspen. Then she is one of six girls left at the palece. If you have read and enjoyed this and want more, you might want to check out the other books in the sieries.

I think this book is the absolute best book of 2017. With all the romance, the action, and the mystery you find in this book it will be a favorite of all the books you will ever read. I give this book 5 stars and a imaginary presidintial award. By far of all the books any teenage girl will ever read this is the best. I know this because I am a teenage girl. This is why I suggest to go to the library imediately to get this book. ( )
  JaycieG.BG3 | Feb 7, 2017 |
I thought this book was interesting, and I definitely want to continue the series to find out how it ends. It's a love triangle from the point of view of a girl who is torn between the poor boy she's always loved and the kind, wealthy prince she's starting to love. She has feelings for both. Both are great guys in her eyes. It's dystopian with everything based on a class system. Warning, it has quite a bit of immature drama. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Couldn't put this book down! There are a lot of very typical YA themes and you'll notice plots from other stories, but it's such a guilty pleasure book. Many girls would love to be a princess and can probably relate to the main character, America. There is a romantic love triangle, suspense, and a poor girl being given the chance of a lifetime. Probably not the most "girl power" novel, but not every YA book needs to be. Can't wait to read the next book! Audio-Hoopla

Hi, Dad!
*waves*
When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce cmpetition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.… (more)

550 wanted7 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,454,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible