The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection (edition 2012)

by Kiera Cass

Member:CAS2199
Title:The Selection
Authors:Kiera Cass
Info:

The Selection by Kiera Cass

English (173)  German (1)  All languages (174)
The Selection goes with a very
elegant cover. Apparantly, the looks
can be deceiving.

I just can't figure it out that this
book gets a very high rating. It's
terrible.

This one is mash-up between the
The Hunger Games girlified Version!
and The Bachelor which is awful.

I finished the entire book at exactly
1:56 A.M. and just wasted my time.
But somehow, I managed to enjoy
it.

Since the plot is very alike with the
The Hunger Games. Why not put all
the 35 Selecteds into hunting and
killing each other and the last girl
standing will be the One? Just
kidding. ( )
  Perco | Oct 11, 2014 |
I don't know if YA is getting more predictable or if I've somehow just become a snob, but I miss being surprised, and I saw the end coming maybe fifty pages in. It's really disheartening because I love the genre, I love dystopian novels, but I'm starting to wonder if it's all really played out and I should move on to more "adult" reading material like my age begs me to do.

I really wanted to love this book. I really did. It was simply too slow, too boring, too fluffy without any solid substance behind it at all, and with the main character having the absolute stupidest name I've ever heard, I just couldn't. The book tried, I tried, but we both fell incredibly short.

Excuse my while I go twirl my fork menacingly. *snort* ( )
  strongasanoak | Sep 25, 2014 |
I thought I would hate this, mainly because it has a lot of things that I don't like. I don't like love triangles...actually, I really hate love triangles. It's one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to Young Adult novels. Why does there have to be two guys? Why? What's wrong with just liking one person and leaving it at that?

I also was wary of the Bachelor like theme. I've sadly seen one episode of the horrid show and I kind of find it incredibly distasteful and gross. Maybe it's because the guy (or girl) is in a massive love triangle.

Anyways, despite my misgivings I decided to read the book and it wasn't that bad. In fact, I liked it for the most part.

America Singer lives in a dystopian like world where people are categorized by numbers. The higher the number you have, the better you life will be. Also, your number determines what kind of carry you have. Fives, like America 's family, are entertainers. While Sixes, are servers.

Which brings us to boy number one in America's love triangle, Aspen, who is a Six. (Aspen, America...I see what you did there). America doesn't care that he's a Six, her family would be against it, and he doesn't like that America would probably provide for him more than he provides for her. Plus there is a law that tries to limit people from doing this.

Boy number two is Prince Maxon. He's holding a Bachelor like game, where girls around the kingdom have a chance to be proposed by him. America signs up, because Aspen told her to, and is chosen. America and Aspen break up, America goes to the castle, and starts to develop feelings for Maxon.

Now the triangle is complete.

America, for the most part, is focused on one guy during the novel and I did like her growing friendship with Maxon. I would have been fine if the novel focused more on this and America's growing feelings for him.

Some of the things that I found odd:

After America lets Maxon know that she's in love with someone else, she makes a deal with him. He keeps her at the palace for as long he needs her to be there for the Selection and in return, she'll give him insider information on the girls. It sounds like a fine deal to me, only America avoids most of the girls and the conversations she has with Maxon is almost never about them.

Sadly, this did bug me a bit because I wanted to see America interact with the girls. But we never really see that. A lot of the girls are interchangeable and for the most part I didn't really care for them.

And then there was..

While reading the novel, I felt like Aspen would show up during America's selection process. This was a given. I did think he would have some ties to the rebels, which would cause America to choose whether she wants to support the kingdom and Maxon, or the support the rebels/freedom and Aspen.

Instead, the book ends in a cliffhanger. Maxon doesn't even pick a girl by the end. This was disappointing, because for the most part I did enjoy this novel but then it ends abruptly. It didn't even feel like a full novel because of that.

I will probably read the next book to see if Aspen and Maxon go head to head...for the kingdom and not America. ( )
  pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
Amazing start to the series. I really enjoyed the different characters and learning about them. America is definitely a strong main character and I loved reading about her relationships with different characters in the book, especially Marlee and Maxon. ( )
  forsakenfates | Aug 25, 2014 |
The plot of this book is obvious and predictable. I detest shows like The Bachelor and Bachelorette so I avoided this because that's just what the premise is. 35 girls, 1 crown to be won.

The main character has an air of something....annoying about her. (And a rather annoying name, usually if I don't like a character name I won't read the book but I got this from Amazon when I was drunk). Despite the annoyance of the characters, and the asinine plot, its actually a very compelling read.

I was admittedly ready to dislike the price as on first meeting he came across as a pompous asshole. His character did develop quite well throughout the story, he had a personality and mind and wasn't a card board cut out swooner. The world building was interesting as well, its a dystopian but there was a rather well thought out reasoning and history as to how to the world came to be.

I'm not sure its the smartest way to find a Crown Princess, but admittedly this is a guilty pleasure read for me. Its annoying, but impossible to stop reading. I had to go out and get the other two books in the series, one paperback, one hardback and wound up getting the Selection again in paperback so I could have the complete set.

I know how it ends, but I'm still looking forward to the in-between book to see how the plot develops. ( )
1 vote sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
Hi, Dad!
*waves*
When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.  She had already decided that all our problems were solved, gone forever.  The big hitch in her brilliant plan was me.  I didn't think I was a particularly disobedient daughter, but this was where I drew the line.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

"Sixteen-year-old America Singer is living in the caste-divided nation of Illea, which formed after the war that destroyed the United States. America is chosen to compete in the Selection--a contest to see which girl can win the heart of Illea's prince--but all she really wants is a chance for a future with her secret love, Aspen, who is a caste below her"--… (more)

236 wanted5 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,352,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible