The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection (edition 2012)

by Kiera Cass

Member:CAS2199
Title:The Selection
Authors:Kiera Cass
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages

The Selection by Kiera Cass

English (169)  German (1)  All languages (170)
I expected a little more from this. I felt like I only got 3/4 of a book. What is it with people needing to have a trilogy? ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
35 Girls. 1 Crown. The Competition of a Lifetime.

Kiera Cass' The Selection series is a romance/drama/fairy tale story with a reality show premise. The first book is called The Selection and was published in 2012 by HarperTeen. Aimed at teen readers, this three book series now has a companion novel and is sure to charm teen fans who like a girly romance that will unconditionally end with a happily ever after.

I'm not particularly fond of America Singer, but the colourful cast of girls and handsome Prince Maxon make up for America's sometimes irritating quirks. Regardless, the books are a bit of delicious treat. An easy, no-stress read of an average girl who is given the chance to marry Prince Charming. The premise of the series is an interesting one—it's why The Bachelor still thrives on TV!

I flew through the first two novels and am about to start on the third. It's not my favourite series, but Kiera Cass is a fantastic author who appeals to teen girl readers who love a good love triangle and a match-up of a girl who could be you, who ends up marrying the perfect guy. As a YA fan, this is more of a guilty pleasure for me and my dislike of the heroine pulls down my overall rating. However, I can certainly attest to the fact that preteens who like this type of story will enjoy this series!

A well-written series choice for teens!

3 Stars ( )
  loveofreading | Aug 2, 2014 |
I really enjoyed the writing in this book. I loved America's character, she is such a sweetheart. I especially like how she treated her maids. This book has quite the love triangle though. Personally I'm rooting for Maxon as the series continues. I am really happy to say that this book didn't get as catty as I expected it to. 35 girls fighting over 1 guy, I expected more of a cat fight.

I think Maxon is a great guy, even though he is the prince he has insecurities. I like that he isn't super cocky and he's actually pretty down to earth. He has a good heart and I want America to fall in love with him.

Aspen on the other hand... I think that he's selfless in the way that he didn't want to bring America down because of the caste system. But I also think that love can be greedy, and that it was America's decision on whether or not she cared about the caste system. I think that in making that decision for her he no longer has any right to fight for her. You can't break someone's heart and then change your mind. You gave her up, so let her move on. You jerk.

I can't wait to read the next book. Kiera Cass is a really good writer, this book flowed really well and was never dull. I hope to read a lot more by her. ( )
  manka23 | Jul 29, 2014 |
The first sentence: “When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.”

Thoughts from the first and second chapter:

The writing style (first person, again) and voice pulls you in very quickly. Also you’re wondering about what the talk of numbers has to do with this story, and so you easily flip through the pages to understand what she’s going on about with a letter and royalty. She doesn't want to be a One. Umm, why not? Do these main characters never want the super, amazing, special thing/position ever in books? Doesn't seem like it. Oh, and yes, another female character who denies her beauty, but it’s sooo obvious to everyone else. The secret boyfriend: Uhh..okay? Will this turn into some kind of a love triangle or what? And apparently.

Main Character: America Singer (Yeah, really).

I have no problems with names, usually. America was a pretty common name for girls at some point in history. I have a few Americas in my family tree and so do a lot of other people, but does it make sense in this story where the country itself doesn't exist anymore? Maybe or maybe not, depending on what you want to believe.

The Plot: Well, it’s a fairly simple one. 35 girls compete to become the prince’s wife. Although, it really wasn't much of a competition or so it seemed to me. America didn't really have to try and she didn't.

The other characters:

America’s family: I liked them for the most part. I could understand why her mother wanted her to join the competition. A chance for a better life.

Aspen: I didn’t get why he wanted America to join the competition. That whole what if excuse didn’t work for me. For some reason I just didn’t like him at all.

Prince Maxon: I do like this character, but I wonder how he didn’t know that the lower caste people were going hungry and stealing to provide for their families in the first place.

Princess wannabes: Most of them, well, were meant to be unlikable. Celeste for example. She was a total witch with a capital B.

Annoying Things: A competition was promised, but there wasn't much past a few angry glares and whispering behind America’s back, let alone a real competition where they do more than just take pictures and whatever. Aspen, I couldn't stand him for some reason.

Overall: This book was entertaining for what it was. The issues with this book can be pretty easily ignored for just the quickness of the read and the entertainment factor.
Also I ship Prince Maxon and America.

Will I read the other two books: 50/50 chance. It was good, but not enough to excite me to continue. ( )
  CinaChilders | Jul 27, 2014 |
Read in June, 2014

Clearing up the mixed reviews for this book.....
"This is not a dystopian book. This is a romance with a mildly dystopian sub-plot."

If you love books with action-packed-agnst-ridden-the-world-is-gonna-end-surival this book will disappoint you. If you like paperback romances and want a new light-hearted romance with a twist you will like this book.

As I said before this is defiantly a romance novel with touches of dystopian. Any violence occurring in the novel is hinted at or quickly brushed over, so people who don't enjoy the detailed grittiness of dystopian lit will enjoy this book. It's is a casual read for people who like to fantasize about the "reality princess experience" with a touch of dystopian unease.

Summary -
The book follows a spirited Cinderella-type heroin named America, who living in near poverty dreams of a good life for herself and her loved ones. The world America lives in is governed by a caste system in which the majority of the people are born near poverty. Having fallen in love with a boy from a lower level then herself Cinderella struggles to work towards a life in which both of them can be happy. However, everything changes with the announcement of "The Selection", a contest between 38 girls for the hand of a prince". Despite her better judgement America enrolls in the Selection which overturns the life she had hoped for. Suddenly America is thrown into a nationally televised contest with a wide variety of eccentric contestants each hoping to catch the eye of the prince, who America is completely uninterested in (aside from the money provided by The Selection that will help her struggling family). As the story continues the palace, while majestic and beautiful, shows signs of instability as rebellions begin occur with increasing frequency putting America, her fellow constants, the royal family, and her society in danger. The prince, while kind is also emotionally isolated from the people around him, a trait which he will have to overcome if he is to find his future princess, stop the rebellions, and govern his people. Will America be able to help him or will their mutual stubbornness be their downfall. ( )
  AyaF | Jul 10, 2014 |
Hi, Dad!
*waves*
When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.  She had already decided that all our problems were solved, gone forever.  The big hitch in her brilliant plan was me.  I didn't think I was a particularly disobedient daughter, but this was where I drew the line.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

"Sixteen-year-old America Singer is living in the caste-divided nation of Illea, which formed after the war that destroyed the United States. America is chosen to compete in the Selection--a contest to see which girl can win the heart of Illea's prince--but all she really wants is a chance for a future with her secret love, Aspen, who is a caste below her"--… (more)

236 wanted5 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,115,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible