The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection (edition 2012)

by Kiera Cass

1,6272034,452 (3.8)54
Member:CAS2199
Title:The Selection
Authors:Kiera Cass
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Matched by Ally Condie (Aleana, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these series have young teens involved in a rigorous selection process to be matched with their future spouse. Political intrigue and the darker side of these dystopian societies set on a future earth add intensity and action.
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Aleana)
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (Pluederhausen)

English (201)  German (1)  All languages (202)
The Selection is one of my favorite books. There are many, many reasons for this. I love the plot, the characters, the writing style, and the world Kiera Cass has created. What I would give to live in America's shoes!

Although I wasn't thrilled in the very beginning because quickly a love triangle was formed, it was soon revealed that the love triangle could easily be overlooked. They don't bring it up very often and one of the boys isn't even really mentioned until the end.

Kiera created characters like America Singer, a stubborn red head who is in caste 5 and because of this works as a singer and a dancer, the alternative being an artist. Then there is her secret boyfriend Aspen Leger, a caste 6 who wants nothing but the best for the girls in his life, him being raised one of the poorest castes. Lastly, (that I'm going to talk about, there are many, many other characters you can come to love and adore but I decided to only speak of the main three) there is Prince Maxon Schreave, the boy America will have to fall in love with to become Princess. He is holding the Selection in these books and is looking for a wife. He is sweet and poetic and good humored. He's like any other boy, just more oblivious and open to more resources.

Don't even get me started on Kiera's writing! It was understandable, which is good. Not like classics where there is a whole page dedicated to how metaphoric and descriptive the texture of a blade of grass can be with all those old, fancy words, this book uses common yet descriptive words most people understand and makes sure nothing is running on. Also, she only adds relevant parts. I don't recall thinking, "Ugh, this scene is so irrelevant, why do I care?" Not to mention, it was a fairly simple read. If you had the time, you could read it in a single sitting.

So basically, a book about a relatable poor girl who gets chosen to live in a castle and learn to live like a princess while being stuck in a love triangle sounds pretty fantastic. I don't think I ever will not give this five stars. ( )
  BooksWithABrunette | Jun 27, 2015 |
When America Singer is chosen, along with thirty four other girls, to compete for the hand of the prince, she finds herself torn between a hometown sweetheart and the intoxicating palace life. A la bachelor style, Prince Maxon wines and dines the girls, occasionally eliminating one or two from the competition. America, despite her lack of interest, finds herself drawn to the Prince.

I had a blast reading this book. Yes, it was simplistic, yes it wasn't very in-depth, but it was appealing, interesting and fast-paced. Overall, a great beach book, weekend book, or just something to sit back and relax with. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Jun 25, 2015 |
The beggining of everything. Kiera Cass is a genius. I love this series. Its honestly one of my favorites. I cannot wait for the next installation to come out. ( )
  valesbookshelf | Jun 23, 2015 |
I very much enjoyed this book. it was a fun wholesome read that I was excited to see unfold through more books. I loved the name america and aspen and maxon and thought it was fresh and original. I don't know what kind of books the reviewers who gave it one sees like to read maybe they prefer smut or something other than sweet romance but I loved it and I'm in my late thirties. ( )
  Alwaysmidnight | Jun 16, 2015 |
The slection is a historipan society. China invades America. America and Canda come together and made a empire called Allie. Instead of choosing royals Iallies chooses girls. Allie chooses 35 girls. From eight different tasks. Each task fouces on a different job oppertunity. Also, a level of society. From 0-8.
Eight to four is te poor. three to zero is the rich, or royal family. The slection fouces on a girl from 5. American SInger, firey red head. American Singer must deal with the probloms of her boyfriend cheating. American strats to fall for Max, but know that life is not a fairy tale.There is a totoal of four books in the Slection.
  Emmac.B1 | Jun 4, 2015 |
Hi, Dad!
*waves*
When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.  She had already decided that all our problems were solved, gone forever.  The big hitch in her brilliant plan was me.  I didn't think I was a particularly disobedient daughter, but this was where I drew the line.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

"Sixteen-year-old America Singer is living in the caste-divided nation of Illea, which formed after the war that destroyed the United States. America is chosen to compete in the Selection--a contest to see which girl can win the heart of Illea's prince--but all she really wants is a chance for a future with her secret love, Aspen, who is a caste below her"--… (more)

587 wanted5 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,915,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible