The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection (edition 2012)

by Kiera Cass

Title:The Selection
Authors:Kiera Cass
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Matched by Ally Condie (Aleana, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these series have young teens involved in a rigorous selection process to be matched with their future spouse. Political intrigue and the darker side of these dystopian societies set on a future earth add intensity and action.
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Aleana)
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (Pluederhausen)

English (214)  German (1)  All languages (215)
Clearly a lot of people didn't like this book, judging from the poor reviews I've seen, but I enjoyed it. Was it great literature? No. Was it a completely unique and original idea? No, not really. It was, like many YA books these days, set in a future dystopia where castes exist, except they are known as numbers with 1 being Royalty and the richest classes and 8 being the lowest of the low. When the royal Prince comes of age, every young lady of age in the country can apply to enter a competition to try to win the Prince's heart. This competition is called The Selection and from all the applicants, 36 girls are chosen. Taken from their families, they are sent to the palace to be taught royal etiquette, clothed in bespoke gowns and worked on by the best makeup and hair stylists to an effort to try to catch the Prince's attention. Their families are compensated with money for the time they are away, and The Selection is watched by the entire country on weekly tv reports that include segments about each girl and her unique talents, her background and family, and as time goes by, interviews with the girls themselves and even the Prince. The citizens root for different girls, hoping their favourite will win.

Meanwhile, rebels from both the North and the South, who are trying to overthrow the Monarchy are mounting attacks on the palace, making it a dangerous place to be in spite of all the luxury and guards. America Singer is a musician from a caste 5 family of artists and one of those chosen to attend The Selection. Unlike her fellow competitors, America isn't there to try and win the love of the Prince. Her family needs the financial compensation, and she is trying to get away from someone who broke her heart.

The fact that the book was kind of a mashup between the Hunger Games and The Bachelor didn't bother me at all. I thought the writing was quite good and the book held my interest and kept me turning the pages. Yes, there were some cliche moments, but everything felt like it fit well into the characters personalities and ages, including America's confusion about what she really wants and why. She's not an empty-headed wannabe princess, but a young woman with a passionate heart who cares about other people and is wiling to stand up and fight for what she believes is right. The Prince still feels like a bit of an unknown and I hope we get to know him better in the books to come. Sometimes he comes off as a little stiff and two-dimensional, although there have been moments when it seemed like a real person peeked out that had some depth and conscience. Clearly America is a good influence on him, but with her feelings more than a little mixed up when her former love shows up, she's caught in a dangerous game that could easily go very wrong.

I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series to see what happens next. ( )
  LongDogMom | Nov 20, 2015 |
Egalley thanks to Harper Collins UK
To be honest, this book would have easily gotten 8.5/10 but the ending totally pissed me off.

It's fun, it's highly entertaining, romantic and visual. I even agreed with America's decision and rooted for prince Maxon all the way. She was way too condescending to poor guy, and don't get me started on her ex. He was effing unbelievable. As in unbelievably stupid.

Let's tell poor America that it's all over, break her heart because so sorry! I can't provide for you and I won't take anything from you. Well, eff you too, my dear boy! Then when involvement with her will condemn both of them to treason, he can't care less again and pursue the girl.

You know what this tells me of? Utter and pure selfishness. I would be extremely disappointed if he ever becomes a part of the cursed love triangle...

Now the competition is fun, the palace with its luscious meals, gowns and friendly servants reads like a fairy tale despite a vague threat of rebels, who like the bogeymen we hear about but never encounter. Even the mean and friendly girls are not too mean and friendly.

Maxon is likeable, America is tolerable and what's his name? Aspen - forgettable. I don't even know why the author made all that fuss about poor Wendy's review on Goodreads when it haven't harmed the popularity of her book in any way.

As to the end, it simply sucked. There is no conclusion, no round up of anything, it just ends metaphorically speaking in the middle of the sentence.

I don't like cliffhangers, but tolerate them, but this is an even more shameless try to ensure that we'll buy the next book, and nobody likes to be used or manipulated so blatantly. So yeah, read it but bear in mind that the ending will be disappointing.

Similar reads: The Pledge by Kimberly Derting, Savor by Megan Duncan ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Okay. Where to start with this one? I could literally go on forever about how awful it was.

Here, I'm just going to summarize:

1.) Terrible writing - This book was very poorly written. Rather juvenile stylistically. Almost all the descriptions were telling instead of showing, and the book couldn't define a setting to save its life. I have no idea what any of the major locations in the book actually looked like.

2.) Terrible structure - The beginning of this book dragged on forever; it started WAY too early in the story's timeline. The inciting event didn't even take place until about 20% of the way in.

3.) Terrible protagonist - "America Singer" was so Mary Sue-ish, I wanted to slap her half the time. And there was nothing about her character I found compelling.

4.) Cliches - Good Lord, the number of cliches in this book...

5.) Poorly developed dystopian world - Yet again; one of my biggest issues with YA Dystopian. And this time around, it was bad NOT because the author didn't explain its origins but because its origins were...well...STUPID. I have never heard anything more ridiculous than the explanation for the creation of the dystopian country in this book. It makes no sense whatsoever.

6.) Love Triangle - Enough said. I'm tired of talking about crappy love triangles.

7.) Repetitiveness - The events in this book just went around and around and around, with almost identical things happening over and over again in slightly different contexts.

8.) Poorly developed rebellion - Why is this a running theme with YA Dystopian?

9.) The sexism - There's a heaping pile of sexism in this "dystopian" society. And its existence is, of course, NEVER explained. Not once.

1.) Witty Banter between Maxon and America - what kept me reading.

And...that was it. That was the only thing I liked about the entire story. Yeah.

Overall, for me, this was just a badly written, cliche-riddled, extremely boring excuse for a YA Dystopian novel. I have never rolled my eyes so many times reading a book as I did in the first HALF of this book. The funny dialogue between the two main characters might have kept me going, but that doesn't mean I didn't loathe the rest of the book. It was...bad. There was no other way to put it. The plot wasn't compelling. The dystopian environment wasn't interesting. Most of the characters were horribly cliched or just poorly characterized. The writing didn't hook me.

I give this 2 stars for the occasionally witty dialogue (and the pretty cover).

2/5 ( )
  ClaraCoulson | Nov 16, 2015 |
My friend Susan got two of these books and was nice enough to offer me up a copy. I read it last night in one sitting. As far as dystopian worlds go this one was pretty easy to grasp and understand. I liked the subtle shifts in world power that caused the creation of this new land. I also thought that this book has some Hunger Games undertones.

America is independent but not so far as to forget her family. I like that about her, she knows (or at least has a pretty good idea) of what she wants and does the selection only for her family (well, and Aspen's) sake. I enjoyed Maxon al ot, he was not at all the way I started out the book thinking he was. I fell more in love with him than I did with Aspen...even though they are both dreamy in their own ways.

The plot moved rather fast although I would liked to see Maxon get rid of more girls early just for things I felt they were doing that he shouldn't have put up with. I enjoyed the emotional growth between Maxon and America as well, it was slow and sweet.

On those very positive notes...I HATE cliffhangers...HATE HATE HATE! I am so tired of them I want to scream every time I read a YA book these days. Maybe this book ending could be called a happy-for-now but ti stops at a critical part for all the main characters and that is my definition of a cliffhanger. I will read the next one only because I am dying to know who Maxon chooses.

This book is a cross between The Hunger Games and The Bachelor. Decently written and engrossing. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
In the Selection series book one it started with a girl named America Singer who got a letter saying she was allegeable to apply for the selection. The selection was where single girls from the age of sixteen to twenty were randomly drawn out of the applicants to come to the palace and compete for the prince’s heart. Only thirty five girls would be picked. America didn’t want to compete for the selection for she was in love with a boy named Aspen and didn’t like the prince in the first place. One night though Aspen and America met in the tree house and he told her to compete and dumped her because he knew he couldn’t provide for her if they got married and had a family because he was a six and she was a seven (the country Illea had a caste system where the higher number was worse than lower numbers, eight being homeless and one being rich). So she applied and her mother was happy about it even though it didn’t really matter because what were the chances she’d be picked? Well she was. A few weeks later she was on a plane to the palace with a few other girls where she made two friends and an enemy. She didn’t want to be there and had a meltdown the first night where she met the prince and yelled at him. He was nice enough to keep her there and they became friends and she offered to help him find a wife since she wasn’t interested. So they went on and girls were starting to get sent home. One day they did an interview on live TV and after that they shared their first kiss and she started to realize she liked him. Unfortunately one of the new guards happen to be her ex-boyfriend who wanted to try and win her back. Of course her heart ached because she couldn’t decide who she rather be with. While the selection was still going on there had been two attacks on the palace by rebels. The prince decided to send thirteen girls home for their safety and turn the selection into the Elite. America was one of them.
I actually really enjoyed this book. I really liked its point of view because all the other books I read don’t come from exactly what she sees, tastes, feels, hear, and smells and that’s it. The reason I only gave this book four stars was because the names of the characters in this book really bothered me for some reason. Otherwise the story line was good and the author did a really good job at describing everything America felt. I honestly am on my toes for the next book in the series called The Elite.
  tessal.b1 | Nov 1, 2015 |
Hi, Dad!
When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce cmpetition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.… (more)

142 wanted6 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,850,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible