The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection (edition 2012)

by Kiera Cass

Member:CAS2199
Title:The Selection
Authors:Kiera Cass
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Matched by Ally Condie (Aleana, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these series have young teens involved in a rigorous selection process to be matched with their future spouse. Political intrigue and the darker side of these dystopian societies set on a future earth add intensity and action.
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Aleana)
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (Pluederhausen)

English (231)  German (1)  All languages (232)
It's like a dystopian princess diaries with a reality TV aspect. And it was good! ( )
  heike6 | Feb 12, 2016 |
In general, I don't approve of calling books "guilty pleasures." I feel like we should all read what we like and not judge ourselves or each other for enjoying things that some might consider embarrassing. So what if I'm a 25 year old woman who enjoys reading books about teenage girls finding their princes? So sue me. But this book, oh goodness. This book might just be a guilty pleasure. This book is the novel equivalent of reality television. It is the novel equivalent of The Bachelor, which I have never watched a single episode of in my entire life, because really? A bunch of women competing over the love of one sleazy guy who, in this one very particular situation, has society's approval to date mass quantities of women at the same time? Ew. It's gross. The premise of this book is, in fact, gross. But I liked it. Ugh. I liked it.

I don't even know why I liked it. In fact, I hated pretty much everything about it.

The names. Oh, dear lord, the names. Why is she called America Singer? She's a singer. A singer with the last name Singer. It's comically bad.

The relationships. I mean, come on. Her relationship with Aspen is not at all sexy. It's not at all romantic, or endearing, or anything short of sad. Aspen is a jerk, a jerk who is happy to take advantage of America's kindness and then just as quick to turn around and berate her for having the audacity to be good to him.

The worldbuilding. Oh wait, what worldbuilding? This is supposedly a future version of America, in which China invaded because America wouldn't pay them back, and then Russia invaded, and then some random guy donated a bunch of money and saved the country and renamed it after himself. Illea. Now it's Illea. And Illea inexplicably has an obscene amount of numbered castes with very specific professions assigned to them. America's family is evidently near the bottom, but she stills owns a few fancy dresses, has plenty of makeup, and has food to spare.

Honestly, I could go on with what I hated about this book, but I won't. Because I actually enjoyed it, despite my misgivings.

The main thing to understand about this book is that it's entertaining. I wanted to keep reading. Even when I wanted to throw the book out the window because one of the male characters said something gross, I wanted to keep reading. Even though I knew that obviously this is a series and obviously America is going to make it through each round of elimination, I wanted to keep reading. If this book is anything, it's readable. It's fluff, but it's readable fluff.

I don't feel an intense need to pick up The Elite, but I will probably pick it up at some point. ( )
1 vote Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |
In the society 100 years in the future, prince of Illea, Maxon must choose a wife. The Selection has 35 girls competing to win the prince's heart. The society is divided into eight castes, with a one being the royal family and an eight being the poorest. America Singer and her family is a four. Fours' career must be a musician or an artist. America secretly dates her boyfriend Aspen, who is a five. Fives are servants to the fours. Aspen persuades America to fill out a form to be in the selection. When she gets chosen they have a fight and break up. When in the palace she meets Prince Maxon and his parents. At first she doesn't like him, but eventually their bond becomes stronger. She finds Aspen in the palace as a guard and must choose, Maxon or Aspen. After 25 girls are eliminated, she goes on to being an elite.

I enjoyed reading this book so much and wanted to read more. Kierra Cass did an amazing job setting up the story from America's family to America and Maxon's ear tug. I liked that America had a best friend in the competition. I did not like Celeste who tried to destroy America. America is not afraid to speak up and defend her self. I like to close friendship America has her maids and does not treat them disrespectfully. I read this book too fast and I can't wait to read the next. ( )
  madisonb.b4 | Feb 8, 2016 |
In the world of The Selection, there are 8 different castes or levels in society (1-8). Ones are the highest level and have the most money. Eights have the least of everything and many are homeless and starving. The Selection itself is the process by which the prince chooses a wife. One woman from each province is chosen to meet the prince (a total of 35). They live at the castle and the prince gradually narrows the group down to the woman he wants to be his wife. America is disgusted by the whole process and has no interest in participating. But her mother insists that she enter. They are Fives and could use the money this opportunity would bring, even if America is not chosen. Then America's secret boyfriend, Aspen also insists that she enter. Aspen is a Six and he feels like he would be holding her back if she doesn't enter.

America finally agrees to enter. After all, what are the chances she will even be chosen to participate...

My opinion
First I have to say that I enjoyed the book and I am already well into the second one. But, I must admit that I am a little annoyed by love triangles. Maybe it's just me, but I really don't understand why these girls are always so wishy-washy. Other than that, America is a very strong and admirable female character and a good role model. She stands up for what she believes in and doesn't try to change herself to please others.

[spoiler]
Just like Bella in Twilight, America seems to think she can have it both ways. How much time can she expect these men to give her? And why does she take so many chances? I wanted to scream at her to just make up her mind already. And since the author didn't give us a lot of information on Aspen but let us watch America fall in love with Prince Maxon. I was totally behind her and Maxon. It is so obvious he loves her (to everyone but America). She is so insecure about how he feels and so scared to commit to him. I get that because he is "dating" the rest of the women too. But, Maxon tells her that he is just waiting for her to tell him there is a possibility she could love him. Then Aspen shows up at the castle and America lets him into her room and they kiss. Seriously?? I was on the edge of my seat for the rest of the book waiting for Maxon to find out about Aspen and get hurt and angry. I just started book 2 and I'm still waiting for the moment Maxon finds out and America's whole world falls apart. That's part of why I've been reading so quickly.
[/spoiler]

Anyway, I definitely enjoyed the book and I am enjoying the second one as well. I love the world and the story and the characters. The other women in the selection have a lot of different personalities and the rebel attacks keep it interesting too. And watching America and Prince Maxon together kept me on the edge of my seat.

Recommended to
Fans of dystopian novels who enjoy love triangles and strong female leads.
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
I loved this book! Yes it's a quick read. Yes it's predictable. It is also fun, and a great reminder of what teenager girls think and feel, and act in a group.

When your life is laid out for you from birth, and suddenly you have the opportunity to compete for something more, would you? If winning would provide for your family? Would you compromise your own principles to win?

Very enjoyable read! ( )
  bell96 | Feb 2, 2016 |
Hi, Dad!
*waves*
When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce cmpetition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.… (more)

617 wanted6 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,164,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible