The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection (edition 2012)

by Kiera Cass

Member:CAS2199
Title:The Selection
Authors:Kiera Cass
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Recently added bynittnut, Miyuneko, murphyrules, purplethings, private library

English (174)  German (1)  All languages (175)
My friend Susan got two of these books and was nice enough to offer me up a copy. I read it last night in one sitting. As far as dystopian worlds go this one was pretty easy to grasp and understand. I liked the subtle shifts in world power that caused the creation of this new land. I also thought that this book has some Hunger Games undertones.

America is independent but not so far as to forget her family. I like that about her, she knows (or at least has a pretty good idea) of what she wants and does the selection only for her family (well, and Aspen's) sake. I enjoyed Maxon al ot, he was not at all the way I started out the book thinking he was. I fell more in love with him than I did with Aspen...even though they are both dreamy in their own ways.

The plot moved rather fast although I would liked to see Maxon get rid of more girls early just for things I felt they were doing that he shouldn't have put up with. I enjoyed the emotional growth between Maxon and America as well, it was slow and sweet.

On those very positive notes...I HATE cliffhangers...HATE HATE HATE! I am so tired of them I want to scream every time I read a YA book these days. Maybe this book ending could be called a happy-for-now but ti stops at a critical part for all the main characters and that is my definition of a cliffhanger. I will read the next one only because I am dying to know who Maxon chooses.

This book is a cross between The Hunger Games and The Bachelor. Decently written and engrossing. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I loved this book. I just can't help myself when it comes to dystopian young adult books. America is a great character and Cass makes her feel like a 'real' teen - just one in a different world. I can feel America's uncertainity, and I feel the unfairness of the whole institution of selection, even if its not actually brought up in the book that much. But then again - by not talking about how weird/strange it is Cass really puts the reader in the world of Illéa.

I'm truly baffeled by the mixed reviews this book has recieved. I'm an adult who enjoys YA books, I read them because they are entertaining - that's it. Its a nice way to spend an hour or so. I'm not concerned with the moral or anthing like that - I want to be able to block out the fat man sitting next to me on the train while I commute. If you like YA distopian books and a good time read The Selection, if you take life too seriously then don't read it. ( )
  sscarllet | Nov 20, 2014 |
Much better than I thought it would be! I was reluctant to read this book for a long time because I didn't care for the concept of a bunch of girls fighting over a prince (I'm a feminist, thank you very much!). But a good friend highly recommended it and so I put myself on the (very long) library hold list for this book. It was a good read, very typical of the YA dystopian genre, but also very readable and with a likable narrator. I can't wait to continue the series! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Oct 26, 2014 |
The Selection goes with a very
elegant cover. Apparantly, the looks
can be deceiving.

I just can't figure it out that this
book gets a very high rating. It's
terrible.

This one is mash-up between the
The Hunger Games girlified Version!
and The Bachelor which is awful.

I finished the entire book at exactly
1:56 A.M. and just wasted my time.
But somehow, I managed to enjoy
it.

Since the plot is very alike with the
The Hunger Games. Why not put all
the 35 Selecteds into hunting and
killing each other and the last girl
standing will be the One? Just
kidding. ( )
  Perco | Oct 11, 2014 |
I don't know if YA is getting more predictable or if I've somehow just become a snob, but I miss being surprised, and I saw the end coming maybe fifty pages in. It's really disheartening because I love the genre, I love dystopian novels, but I'm starting to wonder if it's all really played out and I should move on to more "adult" reading material like my age begs me to do.

I really wanted to love this book. I really did. It was simply too slow, too boring, too fluffy without any solid substance behind it at all, and with the main character having the absolute stupidest name I've ever heard, I just couldn't. The book tried, I tried, but we both fell incredibly short.

Excuse my while I go twirl my fork menacingly. *snort* ( )
  strongasanoak | Sep 25, 2014 |
Hi, Dad!
*waves*
When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.  She had already decided that all our problems were solved, gone forever.  The big hitch in her brilliant plan was me.  I didn't think I was a particularly disobedient daughter, but this was where I drew the line.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

"Sixteen-year-old America Singer is living in the caste-divided nation of Illea, which formed after the war that destroyed the United States. America is chosen to compete in the Selection--a contest to see which girl can win the heart of Illea's prince--but all she really wants is a chance for a future with her secret love, Aspen, who is a caste below her"--… (more)

236 wanted5 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,053,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible