The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection (edition 2012)

by Kiera Cass

Member:CAS2199
Title:The Selection
Authors:Kiera Cass
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Matched by Ally Condie (Aleana, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these series have young teens involved in a rigorous selection process to be matched with their future spouse. Political intrigue and the darker side of these dystopian societies set on a future earth add intensity and action.
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Aleana)
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (Pluederhausen)

English (267)  German (1)  All languages (268)
Thankfully I ended up liking this book way more than I thought I would. Mostly due to Prince Maxon's character. He reminds me a lot of Peeta from the Hunger Games and hope he has a better story and ending than Peeta does at the end of the series. I am still left somewhat wondering who the "enemy/bad guy" is in this series. Will it end up being the king or just the rebels? At this point I would think the main characters actually end up rebels but who knows maybe in this world having that kind of social order and royals to rule is what is best. Either way I am looking forward to reading the next book. ( )
  KeriLynneD | Sep 20, 2016 |
America is chosen to be one of the 35 girls to be in the selection. The winner of the selection gets to marry prince Maxon. America does not think that she could ever fall in love with prince Maxon, because she is in love with Aspen. Someone from her hometown. As the selection goes on though, prince Maxon begins to fall in love with her. He is willing to give her more time to decide where her heart really lies. With Aspen, or with prince Maxon. But now that he has narrowed the 35 selected girls down to the elite ( six girls ) the competition has become more fierce then ever. But America has still not decided... ( )
  aivas.G1 | Sep 12, 2016 |
I read this in one sitting. It was like a dystopian version of The Bachelor. It was just silly. Maybe i would have liked it more if i was 12...then again, probably not. ( )
  tamarah71 | Sep 5, 2016 |
Book One in the Selection series

In the kingdom of Illéa, the future queen is selected through a random lottery. Thirty-five girls are chosen from different districts throughout the land, and they compete in a Bachelor-style reality TV show for the chance to become the wife of the prince. At seventeen, America Singer is the perfect age to be entered into the Selection for Prince Maxon, the only son of the king and queen and heir to the throne of Illéa. The problem is that America is already madly in love with a boy from her hometown. Inclusion in the Selection will bring upward mobility for the Singer family, and with the strict numbered caste system in place, America can't turn her back on the opportunity. After all, even if she IS chosen, what chance does she have with thirty-four other girls, nearly all of whom come from higher castes?

The Selection is like the Hunger Games if the violence was removed and replaced with the glimmering gowns and splendor of the Capitol. Instead of tributes fighting to the death, we have pretty girls trying to seduce a prince. Both competitions are broadcast to the general population in the ultimate reality TV.

I love this book for the guilty pleasure that it is. It's as addictive as chocolate, and really captures the drama and energy that makes it so difficult to turn away from reality TV shows. The descriptions of the luxuries of palace life contrasted with America's humble origins makes me eager for the inevitable movie adaptation. There are a few forehead-slapping moments when I want to shake the characters for saying or doing something stupid, but in the world of reality TV this is all part of the entertainment, so I find myself far more forgiving of America's bone-headed moments.

Prince Maxon is every inch the perfect, sensitive, well-meaning royal searching for true love from girls who desire him for the money or fame his position brings. I can't help but pity the poor guy; he's under tremendous pressure PLUS his love life is on display for all the world? How humiliating. I kept waiting for some darker aspect of his personality to surface, but other than a few haughty moments that I would expect from a boy from such a privileged, sheltered background he's pretty much a perfect gentleman.

I don't quite know what to make of America, our heroine. She's an interesting young woman. Initially, she enters the Selection because both her mother and her boyfriend think she should for the potential prestige, but no expects her to be a serious contender. By being honest with Prince Maxon about her wishes for the competition and offering him an alliance of friendship instead of romance, America manages to secure her position in the Selection. It's very cleverly managed. But a pretty young woman in a YA novel inevitably ends up in a love triangle, and America's moping over her sweetheart Aspen and her burgeoning feelings for the Prince are quite predictable.

The world-building is a bit vague, but if further developed it could be quite intriguing. Illéa, built in the ashes of a fallen America, is at war with New Asia. The country is also imploding, with rebels attacking the palace with a frequency quite disturbing to contestants in the Selection.

I ripped through this book with rare speed, and immediately started hankering for my next fix in The Elite. I don't pretend this is great literature, but it is delightful and entertaining, the perfect antidote to the more serious novels with important messages that I must read for work. ( )
  makaiju | Aug 21, 2016 |
I found myself extremely scared to read this series. I mean like really afraid that I began the series like 4 or 5 times and put it down before I got to the first page. So let's give you the Pros and Cons of this FIVE star Story.

Pros:

I absolutly freakin adore America and the fact that she is tenacious and she has seen the hard times.

I love the caste system in this book (No, I do not think people should be ranked by numbers but in this book it made sense)

I loved the characters even the crazy, and obnoxious ones.

I am a Reality Freak and Everyone is Raving that this book was like The Bachelor.

Cons:

So while I compared this to the Bachelor I felt like it did just that... Left out the good parts. I wanted to actually see the relationships with the other girls because I feel that would have made me understand the relationships that he shared with all of the girls and not just America. I know that there were snips of why they remained but I want to be able to determine if he is a freakin jerk or not. I also did not like the issue of the rebels. I felt like this did nothing but add drama in a different way then actually showing us more about the selection.

That's all .. Go READ them Now.

Love and Peace ~The Book Junkie~

www.iforgot2tellya.wordpress.com ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
Hi, Dad!
*waves*
When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce cmpetition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.… (more)

550 wanted7 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,213,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible