The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection (edition 2012)

by Kiera Cass

Member:CAS2199
Title:The Selection
Authors:Kiera Cass
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Matched by Ally Condie (Aleana, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these series have young teens involved in a rigorous selection process to be matched with their future spouse. Political intrigue and the darker side of these dystopian societies set on a future earth add intensity and action.
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Aleana)
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (Pluederhausen)

English (280)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All (283)
I enjoyed this story very much. I liked America who really didn't want to win the handsome prince preferring the boy of the lower caste that she has known and loved for years. But he pressures her into signing up by convincing her that he would feel guilty if she let the opportunity pass her by. She is also being pressured by her mother who loves her but wants her to better herself it it is possible. America signs up never believing that she would be one of the thirty-five girls chosen as potential mates for the prince.

Once chosen, she is still determined not to marry the prince. She has a distorted vision of who he is. It isn't until he comes to her rescue when she is having a panic attack that she learns that the prince isn't at all who she thought he was. She still doesn't want to marry him, but she offers to be his friend. Friends are something neither of them have had before.

This was an interesting society where people are born into castes which dictate what sort of job is available to you. America's caste is composed of artists of various kinds. America is a singer and plays lots of instruments. Aspen, her first love, is one caste lower and is in service to anyone who will hire him. None of the lower castes, America's or Aspen's have enough to eat. That is one incentive for America to take part in the Selection, the meals at the palace are far beyond what she can get at home.

Life isn't idyllic at the palace. There is some rivalry between the girls who are competing for the prince though most of them do become friends. There is the requisite mean girl in the story who makes life harder for America than it would have to be. But the main problem is rebels who attack the palace. There are two factions - the North and the South. One faction seems to be searching for something in the palace and the other just seems bent on destruction.

This was a great beginning to a series and I am eager to read more books to find out what happens to America and which boy she chooses. I'm rooting for the prince. ( )
  kmartin802 | Apr 13, 2017 |
Amazing but defiantly for older readers ( )
  eoiseknight | Mar 16, 2017 |
I would suggest this book to anyone who likes drama and royalty. This is the first book in the series of three.

The Selection is about how whenever the prince of the country called Ilea becomes of age to get married they have a contest and they pick one girl form every province to come to the palace and become one of the selected. Being selected is a really big thing in Ilea. Once you are selected you get to go to the palace and compete to become the next princess of Ilea. So this story is about one of the selected girls and her name is America. Before America entered the contest she had a secret boyfriend. America thought that the whole selection was stupid and so she didn't want to enter. One night when she secretly crept outside to meet her boyfriend he bribed her into entering. The next morning her mom came into her room and also bribed her. Her mothers bribe was that she could keep the money she earned when ever she had a solo performance and that she could start doing solo performances. So America signed up and after the next two weeks that Friday the special news report called the Report came on and that was when they announced who was going to be the selected from their province. When the reporter said America's name the rest of her family jumped up and started to cheer wile America just sat there shocked. The next week was full of different items preparing her for the palace. When that week was done America had a farewell in her town square. After she had her farewell she was driven to the airport. Once she got to the palace everyone got to meet the prince. This was Prince Maxon's first time seeing all the selected girls. When the girls got there once they meet the prince and then were whisked away to the women's room in the palace. Once they were in the women's room they had to get princes ready. After each one was ready they got their picture taken and then went to their new rooms. When America got to her room she met her maids and their names were Anne, Lucy, and Mary. A few weeks later the palace was attacked by rebels and when that happened America brought her maids with her down to the room where the royal family was to be stationed in case this were to happen. Everyone thought that she was crazy but America didn't care the only thing that she cared about was the safety of her maids. A few weeks passed and on one of America's and Maxon's dates they went to the movie theater in the palace. While they were walking towards the doors they heard a sudden gasp and sure enough it turned out to be Aspen, America's former secret boyfriend. When Maxon asked the guard to step forward and Aspen did Maxon started having a conversation and then put Aspen on the night duty station in front of America's bedroom door. At the end of the book Maxon came to a decision that it was time to make a decision on the Elite but instead of ten girls he narrowed it down to six. That is when America finally realizes that she is exactly where she ought to be among one of the Elite. ( )
  ellas.bg3 | Mar 13, 2017 |
Not bad. I'll read the second one. ( )
  laura.w.douglas | Mar 9, 2017 |
I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I had heard that America is annoying, but I didn't find her so.

I wouldn't exactly call "The Selection" dystopian, as it doesn't really seem any worse than reality. This story is a beautiful conglomeration of elements from "The Hunger Games", "Matched", "Princess Academy", Cinderella, "The Bachelor" and the biblical story of Esther. I'm sure there are more, but these are the stories I was reminded of as I read "The Selection".

The love triangle, in particular, reminded me of those in "The Hunger Games" and "Matched". I love both Aspen and Maxon and have had a hard time deciding which one I want to be with America, just as she struggles to decide. I love the friendship between America and Maxon and at this point in the series, I want America to choose Aspen (despite his hissy fit) and remain a good friend to Maxon.

There were other things that reminded me of "The Hunger Games" as well, such as the lottery, the payments to the families of the Selected, "The Report" along with its host Gavril, etc.

The training to be a princess is what reminds me of "Princess Academy" and I really enjoyed that aspect of it as well.

The gathering of women, some from less fortunate backgrounds, wearing dresses and competing for one man's heart was reminiscent of Cinderella and Esther as well as "The Bachelor".

It does contain the common mistake of using "Your Majesty" and "Your Highness" interchangeably, and the also common insistence that "even though EVERYONE says that I'm beautiful, I promise you, reader, I'm not even pretty." So, that was kind of annoying.

I won't pretend this book is excellent quality, but it did its job as entertainment and I really enjoyed it. On to "The Elite"! ( )
  danaenicole | Mar 4, 2017 |
Hi, Dad!
*waves*
When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and pricelss jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce cmpetition for a crown she doesn't want. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,377,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible