Long Trail Home by Vickie McDonough

Long Trail Home

by Vickie McDonough

Long Trail Home is a compelling story about forgiveness and ultimately coming back home. Not only in the natural but in the spiritual.

We follow the story of Laura, Annie and Riley. Laura is the instructor of a school for blind children. She has sacrificed her own long term dreams for the children that she loves and adores. But when the school has been threatened to be shut down, will those dreams resurface? Annie, once was a homeless orphan. Now she has a family at the school, but will her deception be her undoing? She has found God's forgiveness but will her fellow man be as forgiving? Riley, a soldier come home to devastation after the war has found peace and refuge working at the school. But will he ever find "home" again?

I enjoyed Long Trail Home. Although the story line was a bit slow at times, there is enough action to keep it going and Vickie McDonough relays a great message. Forgiveness is the main basis of the story. God's forgiveness of the sins we have committed. Forgiveness of our selves. And the forgiveness of others. Coming clean and telling the truth can be the hardest thing to do at times. Especially when we are afraid of what others think. But the best thing we can do for our selves is to walk in the truth and trust that our Heavenly Father will care for us and protect us and lead us home.

I received a free copy of Long Trail Home from Moody Publishers in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  BookwormMama14 | Jun 15, 2015 |
Long Trail Home is the third in the Texas Trails series which follows the Morgan family through different generations. I didn't feel that it added much historical and emotional appeal as the other two and it would serve better as a stand alone novel.

This inspirational romance follows Riley Morgan as he journey home from the Civil War. When he finally arrives in his hometown of Waco after years of bloody brutal battles, he discovers that his parents had been murdered by a tribe of Indians and his fiance married someone else. So clearly his life sucks. But this guy is a trooper. He cries for like a day and moves on. He can't bear to stay in his childhood home because there is nothing left for him there so he convinces the lady that runs the School for the Blind to let him room for free if he makes repairs around the place. While there he starts to fall for a young woman who has quite a sinister past as well.

Annie, took shelter at the school of the blind when she was just a young child. Her mother was dead and her father abandoned her in Waco so she faked blindness so she could seek refuge in the only place that would take her. For seven years she's lied to everyone in the community and the only one that knows her secret is Laura, the headmistress. As she starts to develop feelings for Riley she feels as if she needs to tell him of the deception but then they receive the news that the school is to be shut down, the timing is awful. Oh what will they do?!

For fans of breezy inspirational novels and light historical fiction.

I received this book for free from Moody Publishers in return for my honest, unbiased review. ( )
  ecataldi | Jan 18, 2014 |
LONG TRAIL HOME:THE TEXAS TRAILS SERIES by Vicki McDonough is an exciting inspirationnal western romace set in 1865 Texas. It is the 3rd in “Texas Trails”series,but can be read as a stand alone.See, Lone Star Trail (The Texas Trail Series)by Darlene Franklin and Captive Trail (The Texas Trail Series) by Susan Page Page Davis.
(“A Morgan Family” Series). This book was very interesting. You could hardly wait to see what was happening in the next chapter. I enjoyed this book and would recommend “Long Trail Home: The Texas Trails” series,a “Morgan Family” series. Received for an honest review from Wynn-Wynn Media and the publisher. Details can be found at Moody Publishers and My Book Addiction Reviews.

REVIEWED BY: DorothyA (My Book Addiction Reviews)

POSTED BY: April Renn ( )
  tarenn | Jan 10, 2012 |

Long Trail Home is part of a six-book series about four generations of the Morgan family living, fighting, and thriving amidst a turbulent Texas history spanning from 1845 to 1896.  Although a series, each book can be read on its own.

When Riley Morgan returns home after fighting in the War Between the States, he is excited to see his parents and fiancée again. But he soon learns that his parents are gone and the woman he loved is married.

Riley takes a job at the Wilcox School for the blind just to get by. He keeps his heart closed off but a pretty blind woman, Annie, threatens to steal it.

Through painful circumstances, Riley and Annie learn that the loving and sovereign hand of God cannot be thwarted.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:13 -0400)

"A weary soldier returns from the War Between the States to discover his parents dead, his family farm in shambles, and his fiancee married."--P. [4] of cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,853,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible