The Legacy of Kilkenny: The Legacy of…

The Legacy of Kilkenny: The Legacy of Kilkenny Book One - The Legacy…

by Devyn Dawson

Well, this three star thing is so subjective. Because I made it through the whole 700-odd pages and went on to read the next book I have to at least give it enough stars to be in the "like" category, but if I were rating it purely on writing/editing/errors etc...it would be tough to give it two.

Look, no offense, Dawson, I got attached to your characters and interested in the story. But, you did drag this one out a bit. Seriously, 700+ pages just to get him to shift? I was 250 pages in when it dawned on me that nothing had actually happened yet. *sigh* Then there were the errors. The editing was terrible, but the real errors were the awful habits:

-Constantly switching tense within the same sentence (let alone paragraph or page). You REALLY need to work on that (it was a problem in book two as well and got to the point of distracting from the story). For example, page 259 of the ebook.
-Editing (word) errors. Just because you run a spell check does not mean you are catching word errors. The fact that the word that is there and the word you wanted are both two letter words does not make them interchangeable. You may have edited this yourself; never a good idea. You know the story too well, your brain skips things. You have to find a third party who is decent with grammar and punctuation to give it a read!
-Repetitive words and phrases. If you use the same word twice in one paragraph that is bad...in the same sentence it is unforgivable. It is easy to do when you are in the "zone", but that is what drafts are for! Seriously, you need to watch the repeated words and phrases.

I wanted to love this book, I wanted to rave about it, I can't. It was too long for what it was, it was riddled with mind-numbing errors. But, she has some good characters there, it was worth it when I got to book two. ( )
  Ameliapei | Apr 18, 2013 |
This book was such a fantastic read. I started and couldn’t stop. It had one of those storylines that got you involved right from the start and didn’t let go till the end. I know there was a reviewer that mentioned sloppy editing. I just want to say – Don’t let that stop you from reading this book. The grammar does not take away from a great storyline and plot. I’m glad this review did not hinder my purchasing this book from a great inspiring author such as Devyn Dawson.

Abel Casey – a guy not even aware of his birth right of being the Great Wolf, struggles with playing catch up to get him prepared before his first shift.

Pru Phelan – an Alpha’s daughter who was raised knowing she was a wolf and knows quite well how to handle herself now has the duty and obligation of training Abel with his preparation.

All along I secretly wished these two would hook up because both characters were so loveable but I am by no means disappointed with the outcome and the path that Devyn Dawson decided to take these two down. I’m anxious to get started on Malevolence.

Well done Devyn Dawson. ( )
  kimbershook | Aug 2, 2012 |
Read from January 24 to February 01, 2012

First of all, I would like to thank Devyn Dawson for allowing the R2R program to review her book. I always appreciate the chance to read and review a book.

After initially looking at a few reviews to determine if I should read it, I found many glowing comments; they lead me to really think I would like this book. Unfortunately, that was not the case. The overall premise was interesting, and promising. But for me the formatting, and point of view between Pru and Abel ended up preventing me from really investing myself into the characters.

I found that the book tells the reader the story instead of showing it. Rather than painting a picture with words to show a plump, juicy, red apple with beads of cool moisture sweating out of it's sweet flesh. It would rather just have a character say, 'Give me an apple.' I didn't have the sense of being lead into the story, instead I felt like flash boards of high points were being sped through so quickly I got dizzy. The two main characters go from just meeting on one page, and BFF's the next. Granted, there was a passage of time, but many relationship building parts of the story were absent. I also felt like there was little conflict, especially in regard to the acceptance on Abe's part with Pru's "furry" nature at first. Many situations, like that one felt forced, unnatural and unbelievable.

The change in points of view: they happened so often and so fast that I felt like I was a ping pong ball being bounced between Abe and Pru. Half the time I would forget, or due to formatting would not notice the change of perspective and wonder why suddenly the character would say such things. I would quickly realize my error, but it became an exercise of will to finish the book as time went on. The few times it stuck with one person for any length of time, I would find myself drawn in to the story.

It felt like there was almost too much supernatural "stuff" being thrown in. If they had stuck to werewolves with shamanic overtones and rituals, that would have been great. But in trying to add so much, it would slow down at odd points getting bogged down with details without allowing enough time to express all the details. If the focus of the story had been narrowed down, I think it would have been more successful in drawing in the reader and giving them enough time to read and absorb this particular paranormal reality.

I am far, far from being a perfectionist, or even talented in regards to grammar and/or formatting of an e-book; but this book was very ill formatted with many obvious errors. It needed serious, serious attention from a proofreader.

The overall combination left me frustrated and dizzy. But bear in mind- this was just my reaction to it. Many readers enjoyed the two perspectives, connected with the characters and the story. If you enjoy a slightly racier paranormal YR series, then by all means give it a try. Make sure first, however, to get some Dramamine. ( )
  LoonyAlana | Feb 5, 2012 |
This book has so many heart tugging situations and you can feel the love that all of these people share with each other. Abel is going from a geeky teen to all of a sudden he is the Great Wolf. How is he supposed to keep it a secret from everyone?

I am so glad that it says in the title that this is book one. I have to know what happens with Pru and Oakley. Not that this is the only reason I'm waiting for the second book. I have to know how Abe handles all the changes in his life. Not to mention what is up with Shaynie? Why is she really here? What's going to happen with his sister Allie now? ( )
  bella55075 | Dec 11, 2011 |
Abel Casey is just an ordinary boy. He goes to school and comes home to take care of his mother and sister while his father is at work. There’s nothing out of the norm that would signal him to be more than what he already is. Yet when Prudence Phelan shows up on the scene, his entire world is thrown into limbo.

Legend has it that a Great Wolf will some day be born to rule over all the wolf clans. A leader with extraordinary abilities. Abel has a hard time accepting such claims, even when presented with proof that he’s the one Pru’s clan has been waiting for. When Pru tells Abel that he must die in order to protect his family, he balks at the idea. He has no wish to cause his family any further heartache.

When his sister starts exhibiting some weird behaviors, Abel realizes that he’s way in over his head. Werewolves do exist, as do vampires. And apparently one has become fixated upon his sister in hopes of garnering the needed information that would lead him to destroy the Great Wolf.

As his attraction for the lovely Pru grows with every day of training, he comes to realize that she’s way out of his league. She’s set her sights on Oakley and there’s nothing that he can do to change her mind. Fighting against his feelings for her, he throws himself into his training while trying to figure out a way to save his sister and thus fulfilling the demands that have been thrown upon his shoulders – demands that could very well be his undoing should he take one wrong step.

While this book has a very good premise and is quite promising, the one thing that kept me from truly enjoying its potential was the book’s punctuation. Mind you, this isn’t a bad review – far from it. I just think that if the editor had taken time to fully immerse him/herself in fixing the punctuation/sentence structures throughout the book, it would have made the book’s message more clear and concise.

Devyn has written a story that truly has potential. I do wish that she’d expanded just a little further on story of the Legacy of Kilkenny. To provide an even further and very much in-depth back story of how the clan truly came to be. I honestly liked what I read and I wish the author very well in her future endeavors. ( )
  LizzieBeth95 | Nov 6, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,832,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible