The Case of Torches by Clark Smith

The Case of Torches

by Clark Smith

I was inspired to take this off my shelves to read by Karyn, at the excellent " A Penguin a Week " blog, flagging that it was her choice to read this week . Some research ( google ) had me worried for a while as it told me of Clark Ashton Smith, an American author who wrote fantasy, horror and science fiction. Whilst I am not adverse to those genres ( particularly in an earlier time, science fiction) I was having difficulty reconciling that with the book being published in the Penguin Crime livery.

The diversion was shortlived. Quickly after commencing the novel, it became apparent that this was something other that those genres, indeed a different author. Whilst Karyn, in her review, though it was a slow start , I thought it was merely a build up , which I do not mind ( so long so it reaches a conclusion,. which this novel does).

The major character is an internal auditor, though he displays at times characteristics closer to those of James Bond ( but not completely absurd so as to detract from the story). I wonder if my acceptance of that position is mollified by the last 2 pages of the book?

The divergence to the other Clark Smith was not a complete waste of time, as I learned that he and my favorite photographer of all time, Ansel Adams, shared a benefactor in Albert M Bender. It took me to re look at some of Adams' photographs , which I find spectacular.

In the end whilst this will not be viewed as "must read", I think my view is best understood by understanding that I am looking forward to reading the other 2 fictions books he wrote ( both with the same main player ( Mahoun) ) though I will pass on the textbook he apparently wrote as to Internal Auditing.

Bigship

10/02/2013 ( )
  bigship | Feb 10, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,408,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible