The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer) by Brent…

The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer) (edition 2013)

by Brent Weeks

4132025,720 (4.22)29
Member:DavidBurrows
Title:The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer)
Authors:Brent Weeks
Info:Orbit (2013), Paperback, 688 pages
Rating:*****

The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks

If Mr. Weeks hasn't read a lot of green lantern comics i would be very surprised, but what he has done with this inspiration is what makes this a must read for epic fantasy fans. Brent Weeks has joined my list of authors who i'll pre-order every new book. Whens the next one come out? ( )
  GSB68 | May 19, 2015 |
Fast paced novel that can easily suck you in and keep you turning pages to find out what happens next.

Really enjoyed Kip in school. Though, I felt that experience could have been dealt with more in depth. Thinking about novels about characters in school like Harry Potter, Tom Brown's School days, etc the pacing is almost to rushed. I liked the new characters Kip meets and the new color (Paryl)has some very interesting possibilities. Kip comes across as very likable and you find yourself really rooting for him. I think with all the physical labor/training at some point he is going to stop being a pudgy out of shape kid.

I think the author used the f-bomb once in the book (that jumped out). And it just struck a discordant note for me showing up in the fantasy world here and felt unnecessary.

While a lot happens in the book looking back it almost feels like less happened just because everything was so fast paced. I will definitely read the next book but I don't like being stuck at a cliff hanger ending for a year. =(

I've had several people say that this series is their favorite over the Night Angel series (by the same author). Still not convinced but I'm keeping an open mind.

Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
~~~~~~~~~4.5~~~~~~~~~~~ ( )
  BethYacoub | Dec 31, 2014 |
The story carries on where the first book left off. War is crashing into their lives and it's hard for Gavin Guile to keep saving his country and people when he's dying and his colors are disappearing. It's a game of deception and lies. Nothing is as it seems.

This was a fantastic sequel. The characters are still lovable as usual. Who doesn't like Gavin Guile? Inevitable in his will, charming, saving the world easily. But still flawed and completely in love. Kip is almost the stereotypical boy-into-a-man story. But it works.

I love the magic system. It's a world that makes you want to know more. It's fairly ingenious, this world. Only quibble is that Weeks sometimes has long paragraphs (e.g. monologues) of explanation of magic or strategies. People don't talk in paragraphs. But it didn't happen too often, just often enough for me to notice, so it's okay.

I was blown away by the deception from the book summary! It completely took me off guard when Gavin killed his brother because I was expecting the opposite. I loved it, to have lies within a summary to make me expect something and throw something else.

I think Weeks doesn't exactly know how to write women. This book is very much still a man's world. Even though the women are strong and influential, like Karris and the Third Eye, you start to notice that all of them don't really stand alone in their strength. They are all tied to a man. Okay, maybe except for the White, but that's because she's old and Weeks doesn't consider her for sex appeal. But whenever girls and women are mentioned, it's all about their femininity and how much the males would like to take them to bed. Meh. I don't think he does this intentionally and eh, the story is powerful enough to overlook this. It's just I don't think he knows how to write women who are just women. But of course, it's not something he's concerned about, what with his two main male characters. And regardless, he does better than a lot of other male writers (and some female writers, for that matter).

The story progresses extremely well. I was never bored or slogging through the pages. There was action, there was emotion, there was character interaction. The ending was made me curse the appendix. I was so sure that the boo was longer, and then it just ended with Gavin in that boat. Like, argh are you serious!! I need to know what happens next! But that's fantastic. I know I want to finish this series. Weeks is a great writer. I can already see him setting the scene for future books. I'm curious to see what will happen with paryl, the white luxin, the blinding knife, how the light will be balanced, and such. There are so many unanswered plot lines, but this book manages to tie up a lot from the last book. It's the perfect balance between revealing intentions and hidden mysteries. It's not confusing, it's foreshadowing. So many authors have a hard time with the difference between the two. Weeks nails it here.

A solid three and a half stars. I was tempted to round up to four because of how engaged I was throughout the book. However, at the end of the book, it's just a good read. I always need a little something more - something that changes my world, my preconceived notion of something, expands my horizon. It was a marvelous read, yes. But it doesn't leave me with anything else but "hmm it was a good read" when I close the book. So three and a half very good stars.
Highly recommended for anyone who loves fantasy with well-built characters and a fascinating magic system. But read the first book first, obviously. ( )
1 vote NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

Brent Weeksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

He'd thought he had five years left--now he has less than one. With fifty thousand refugees, a bastard son, and an ex-fiancée who may have learned his darkest secret, Gavin has problems on every side. All magic in the world is running wild and threatens to destroy the Seven Satrapies. Worst of all, the old gods are being reborn, and their army of color wights is unstoppable. The only salvation may be the brother whose freedom and life Gavin stole sixteen years ago.

Gavin Guile thought he had five years left--now he has less than one. With fifty thousand refugees, a bastard son, and an ex-fiancee who may have learned his darkest secret, Gavin has problems on every side. All magic in the world is running wild and threatens to destroy the Seven Satrapies. Worst of all, the old gods are being reborn, and their army of color wights is unstoppable. The only salvation may be the brother whose freedom and life Gavin stole sixteen years ago.… (more)

192 wanted3 pay4 pay

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 031607991X, 0316068144

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,426,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible