The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer) by Brent…

The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer) (edition 2013)

by Brent Weeks

Member:DavidBurrows
Title:The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer)
Authors:Brent Weeks
Info:Orbit (2013), Paperback, 688 pages
Rating:*****

The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com by express permission of this reviewer.     Synopsis Kip must survive becoming a Blackguard while Gaven must survive losing his ability to command all 7 colors. All this while the Color Prince is bent on raising up the old gods of Color and destroying the mono-theism of the Chromeria.   My Thoughts It took me almost 6 months to read this book. Not because it wasn't good, but because I started this as my "gym" book, and well, my time at the gym has practically disappeared between one thing and another.   Once this series is done, I look forward to re-reading it in one gulp.   Kip is a fantastic character. He is the just the right amount of young hesitation, insecurity and doubt to make him feel real, but at the same time he has moments of genius, courage and heroics so that I can root for him and not feel like he's a whiny douchebag.   Gaven & Daven. For all the time given to the imprisoned Gaven, and his torturous escape from the prison, I was thinking he was a bit more of a better man than he turned out to be. So when Daven simply killed him, after Gaven's horrible revelation, it was a very weird feeling. I was glad he was dead, but then it felt like it was a buildup for no reason. And to be honest, Daven posing as Gaven still confused me at times with who did what as who, when, and why and... and I think you get the idea.   Weeks seems to be a very talented storyteller but the one thing that I pick is his use of "real world" profanity. I understand that people are going to curse, swear and generally profane the things that their world holds holy. So why do words like "shit" and "fuck" repeatedly occur? Those things would still be sworn by, but not those specific words. Kind of like in Battlestar Galactica, they use the word "phrack". I find that to a weakness of Weeks' [ha, get it?] and I'm  hoping that as he matures, he'll go the route that Zahn or Sanderson has gone, ie, very light on the profanity and with "in world" words when used.   In the Night Angel Trilogy, I found the violence a bit disturbing, as a lot of it was directed at women and children. Thankfully, not nearly the same amount of time is given to it in this book, but it is still there, reminding us of just how bad this Lightbringer world can be.   Rating: 4 of 5 Stars   Author: Brent Weeks. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This book is amazing! It is so hard to put down. I want the third book already. I love the complexities in the storyline and the characters.

Schlyne | Nov 12, 2015 |
If Mr. Weeks hasn't read a lot of green lantern comics i would be very surprised, but what he has done with this inspiration is what makes this a must read for epic fantasy fans. Brent Weeks has joined my list of authors who i'll pre-order every new book. Whens the next one come out? ( )
  GSB68 | May 19, 2015 |
Fast paced novel that can easily suck you in and keep you turning pages to find out what happens next.

Really enjoyed Kip in school. Though, I felt that experience could have been dealt with more in depth. Thinking about novels about characters in school like Harry Potter, Tom Brown's School days, etc the pacing is almost to rushed. I liked the new characters Kip meets and the new color (Paryl)has some very interesting possibilities. Kip comes across as very likable and you find yourself really rooting for him. I think with all the physical labor/training at some point he is going to stop being a pudgy out of shape kid.

I think the author used the f-bomb once in the book (that jumped out). And it just struck a discordant note for me showing up in the fantasy world here and felt unnecessary.

While a lot happens in the book looking back it almost feels like less happened just because everything was so fast paced. I will definitely read the next book but I don't like being stuck at a cliff hanger ending for a year. =(

I've had several people say that this series is their favorite over the Night Angel series (by the same author). Still not convinced but I'm keeping an open mind.

Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
~~~~~~~~~4.5~~~~~~~~~~~ ( )
  BethYacoub | Dec 31, 2014 |

Brent Weeksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

He'd thought he had five years left--now he has less than one. With fifty thousand refugees, a bastard son, and an ex-fiancée who may have learned his darkest secret, Gavin has problems on every side. All magic in the world is running wild and threatens to destroy the Seven Satrapies. Worst of all, the old gods are being reborn, and their army of color wights is unstoppable. The only salvation may be the brother whose freedom and life Gavin stole sixteen years ago.

Gavin Guile thought he had five years left--now he has less than one. With fifty thousand refugees, a bastard son, and an ex-fiancee who may have learned his darkest secret, Gavin has problems on every side. All magic in the world is running wild and threatens to destroy the Seven Satrapies. Worst of all, the old gods are being reborn, and their army of color wights is unstoppable. The only salvation may be the brother whose freedom and life Gavin stole sixteen years ago.… (more)

188 wanted4 pay4 pay

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 031607991X, 0316068144

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,813,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible