The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer) by Brent…

The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer) (edition 2013)

by Brent Weeks

Member:DavidBurrows
Title:The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer)
Authors:Brent Weeks
Info:
Rating:*****

The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks

The story carries on where the first book left off. War is crashing into their lives and it's hard for Gavin Guile to keep saving his country and people when he's dying and his colors are disappearing. It's a game of deception and lies. Nothing is as it seems.

This was a fantastic sequel. The characters are still lovable as usual. Who doesn't like Gavin Guile? Inevitable in his will, charming, saving the world easily. But still flawed and completely in love. Kip is almost the stereotypical boy-into-a-man story. But it works.

I love the magic system. It's a world that makes you want to know more. It's fairly ingenious, this world. Only quibble is that Weeks sometimes has long paragraphs (e.g. monologues) of explanation of magic or strategies. People don't talk in paragraphs. But it didn't happen too often, just often enough for me to notice, so it's okay.

I was blown away by the deception from the book summary! It completely took me off guard when Gavin killed his brother because I was expecting the opposite. I loved it, to have lies within a summary to make me expect something and throw something else.

I think Weeks doesn't exactly know how to write women. This book is very much still a man's world. Even though the women are strong and influential, like Karris and the Third Eye, you start to notice that all of them don't really stand alone in their strength. They are all tied to a man. Okay, maybe except for the White, but that's because she's old and Weeks doesn't consider her for sex appeal. But whenever girls and women are mentioned, it's all about their femininity and how much the males would like to take them to bed. Meh. I don't think he does this intentionally and eh, the story is powerful enough to overlook this. It's just I don't think he knows how to write women who are just women. But of course, it's not something he's concerned about, what with his two main male characters. And regardless, he does better than a lot of other male writers (and some female writers, for that matter).

The story progresses extremely well. I was never bored or slogging through the pages. There was action, there was emotion, there was character interaction. The ending was made me curse the appendix. I was so sure that the boo was longer, and then it just ended with Gavin in that boat. Like, argh are you serious!! I need to know what happens next! But that's fantastic. I know I want to finish this series. Weeks is a great writer. I can already see him setting the scene for future books. I'm curious to see what will happen with paryl, the white luxin, the blinding knife, how the light will be balanced, and such. There are so many unanswered plot lines, but this book manages to tie up a lot from the last book. It's the perfect balance between revealing intentions and hidden mysteries. It's not confusing, it's foreshadowing. So many authors have a hard time with the difference between the two. Weeks nails it here.

A solid three and a half stars. I was tempted to round up to four because of how engaged I was throughout the book. However, at the end of the book, it's just a good read. I always need a little something more - something that changes my world, my preconceived notion of something, expands my horizon. It was a marvelous read, yes. But it doesn't leave me with anything else but "hmm it was a good read" when I close the book. So three and a half very good stars.
Highly recommended for anyone who loves fantasy with well-built characters and a fascinating magic system. But read the first book first, obviously. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
Indeed! ( )
  amusing.nickname | May 13, 2014 |
'The Blinding Knife' is the second book in the 'Lightbringer' series. It picks up where the first book, 'The Black Prism', left off, and seamlessly continues the story of Kip and company. Unlike a lot of second books, this one doesn't use info-dumps to convey information from the first book, and it doesn't feel like it's stalling or just filling in the gap before the big finale. Just like the first book, it's full of action and great characters, and there is always something happening that is both exciting and relevant to the plot.

What I liked most about 'The Blinding Knife' is that the characters continue to develop in interesting ways. My favourite character from the first books was Kip, and this book focuses a lot more on him, continuing what is essentially his coming-of-age story. Despite being the son of the most powerful man in the world, Kip has to constantly overcome obstacles: he's fat, he's illegitimate, he has little experience with using his magical talents, and he has enemies who are constantly working to use him to undermine his father. Weeks writes Kip's character in a way that makes him likeable and strong and yet also very human, the end result being that we spend most of the book hissing at his enemies and cheering him on.

The other characters are just as interesting. 'The Blinding Knife' introduces us properly to the Prism's father, Andross Guile, who harbours a mysterious secret and whose schemes run much deeper than anyone suspected. His slave Grinwoody is almost as villainous as he is (despite only featuring as a very marginal character), and the main `antagonist' - The Colour Prince - is actually quite sympathetic, his reasons for what he does being quite logical. Other characters from the first book feature again, and undergo very interesting character arcs: the main one here is Liv, who is struggling with the conflict between what she has learned and what she had previously spent her whole life believing..

The writing is smooth and captivating, the action scenes are brilliant and well-written, the main characters are three-dimensional, and the unique magic system is becoming more and more interesting the more we learn about it.

I'm not a huge fan of cliff-hanger endings, and 'The Blinding Knife' leaves us on one hell of a cliff-hanger, but since the next book comes out next year I'm not too frustrated. I suppose. ( )
  Jawin | Mar 1, 2014 |
Sometimes I wish I had the education to analyze exactly why books like this are so much better than awesome. I mean I know what I like, what I love and what just wows me. What I can't always explain is why certain books take over my life, make me forget to eat, and make it hard to sleep because I keep going over scenes in my head. It is actually easier to review a merely good book, or one that is great but not perfect. However when a book simply blows me away I don't even know how to start explaining why. It feels like trying to explain a rainbow to someone who has never seen one.

This is one of those books.

This story has so much going for it. Meticulous worldbuilding, a detailed and unique magic system, sympathetic characters, twists and turns to keep you guessing, moral dilemmas which make you wonder what choice you would make, political power plays behind the scenes, hidden agendas, divided loyalties and the list goes on. Brent Weeks quite frankly scares me alittle. I imagine he gets up every morning and over breakfast thinks of nothing but "what horrible, nasty, cruel, demented thing can I do to my characters today" and then he goes and does it. Then for lunch he figures out how to get them out of today's dilemma in the most surprising, backhanded, conniving, sneaky but heroic way possible, then he does that too. I don't even want to know what he thinks about during dinner....

Let me sum things up for you. Ever rode a roller-coaster? Well experiencing this story is exactly like that... only better. You don't get queasy and it lasts a whole lot longer.

Read Full Review @ Dragons, Heroes and Wizards ( )
  Mulluane | Oct 9, 2013 |

Brent Weeksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

He'd thought he had five years left--now he has less than one. With fifty thousand refugees, a bastard son, and an ex-fiancée who may have learned his darkest secret, Gavin has problems on every side. All magic in the world is running wild and threatens to destroy the Seven Satrapies. Worst of all, the old gods are being reborn, and their army of color wights is unstoppable. The only salvation may be the brother whose freedom and life Gavin stole sixteen years ago.

Gavin Guile thought he had five years left--now he has less than one. With fifty thousand refugees, a bastard son, and an ex-fiancee who may have learned his darkest secret, Gavin has problems on every side. All magic in the world is running wild and threatens to destroy the Seven Satrapies. Worst of all, the old gods are being reborn, and their army of color wights is unstoppable. The only salvation may be the brother whose freedom and life Gavin stole sixteen years ago.… (more)

90 wanted3 pay3 pay

Orbit Books

Two editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 031607991X, 0316068144

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,390,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible