Perfectie by Peter James

Perfectie (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Peter James, Lia Belt

Member:aveys
Title:Perfectie
Authors:Peter James
Other authors:Lia Belt
Info:Utrecht De Fontein cop. 2012
Collections:Read in 2012, Your library
Rating:**1/2

Perfect People by Peter James (2011)

English (7)  Dutch (3)  All languages (10)
Having read and enjoyed all of Peter's Roy Grace novels I thought I would give his stand alone novel, Perfect People a go.
I struggled to get through the first 50 pages; I don't know if this is because I am not very scientifically minded or if not much was really happening. However, I ploughed on and am glad I did. The novel picked up pace after this with loads going on to keep the pages turning especially in the latter stages of the book.
This book took Peter James 10 years to write and he has quite obviously done a lot of research into genetics and 'designer babies.' What this book essentially does through the telling of the story is highlight the pros and cons of genetic engineering. It is a book which will make you think of these negatives and positives. The ending of the book was certainly thought provoking...I did not see that one coming!
I think that this would be an ideal book for reading groups as whether or not people enjoy the book the issues raised in the book is guaranteed to lead to a varied and lively discussion/debate.
  helen.mcbay | Apr 1, 2013 |
There were times when I found this book to be quite chilling, particularly as it becomes clear - step by step - that things are not turning out as the couple expect. The story takes a slightly James Bond-esque turn towards the end, but the ending is startling and disturbing, and brings together a number of loose threads rather neatly. ( )
  Stroudley | Oct 22, 2012 |
This unsettling thriller is about a couple who wishes to conceive a child who will not inherit the gene for a deadly disease, a gene both parents carry. They have only the best of intentions, but things go horribly wrong. The effects of stress on the couple in the story were depicted with great accuracy. ( )
  harrietgate | Aug 28, 2012 |
Another great read from Peter James - he never disappoints me. This book deals with genetic engineering and it is inevitable that something will go wrong. The ending is unusual and not what I was expecting.
Thoroughly enjoyable! ( )
  dannN | Mar 20, 2012 |
I'm partial to Peter James' `Roy Grace' detective books but the summary for this one had me hooked, as did the eerie looking cover. With a Peter James book you're pretty much guaranteed a stellar read, so I was curious to know just how good this standalone thriller/sci-fi book would be. It definitely took me by surprise and though it couldn't be more different from his detective books, I found myself gripped by both the premise and the plot.

I won't summarise the novel as that has been done more than adequately enough already, but I will say that the subject matter is controversial yet the writing is pulled off brilliantly. As a reader you do have to suspend your belief on occasions', though the matter of genetics and designer babies is certainly becoming more of a prominent subject in today's society so it does make you think about what could happen and what you would do if you were in the same situation.

Parts of this book genuinely gave me chills, the underlying feeling all the way through is that nothing is quite what it seems and to be careful what you wish for because you just might get it- and then some! As a reader you begin to understand that the `perfect people' created in this novel aren't really 'normal' by societies standards and wonder what they will do next.

Though I really enjoyed this book, I can concede that it has a few flaws which is what prevented me from giving it the full five stars, though for entertainment value alone that could have been the case. Some of the parent's rather laissez faire reactions to their children's extraordinary abilities caused me to roll my eyes on occaision- particularly the fathers! I also found Naomi's behaviour to veer dangerously out of character towards the end of the novel and generally I couldn't really feel any sort of connection towards either of the parents as they weren't particularly likeable people. My main sticking point was the abrupt ending though- whilst it was carefully crafted to be quick and leave the reader going: "noooo!" I did think that it could have been drawn out just a teeny bit more than it was after investing so much time in the book.

Nevertheless, despite these little gripes, I really did enjoy this novel and would recommend it to anyone looking for a fast paced read with a plot that definitely makes you think.

*This review also appears on Amazon.co.uk* ( )
  CookieDemon | Mar 13, 2012 |
Iedereen wil een volmaakt kind, maar tegen welke prijs...
Laat op een middag in april, dertig mijl ten oosten van Cape Cod, staat een jong stel met hun bagage op het helikopterdek van een omgebouwd cruiseschip.

When a young couple join a fertility programme run by a clinic in America they little suspect that the happy day that follows is the last day of mankind's evolutionary supremacy. Mankind is facing its greatest challenge: obsolescence.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,487,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible