Perfectie by Peter James

Perfectie (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Peter James, Lia Belt

Member:aveys
Title:Perfectie
Authors:Peter James
Other authors:Lia Belt
Info:Utrecht De Fontein cop. 2012
Collections:Read in 2012, Your library
Rating:**1/2

Perfect People by Peter James (2011)

English (8)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  All languages (12)
I was very much looking forward to this book and I'm very sad to say it disappointed me. I can't explain why without ruining a bit of the book, but it definitely did not hold up to the image I had in my head for it.

I still appreciated the plot line though (except for the end which kind of threw me a bit and left me sitting there going...w...t...f...). I think genetically modified kids is a hot topic and certainly creates a lot of discussion. And a lot of fights. I can understand why Naomi and Jonathan would consider it when their reasoning is explained to you, but a huge part of me was still against it.

The characters themselves were okay. About half way through the book Naomi got incredibly annoying for me, but I've never been a mother so I don't know how I would react given the situations she was put in. Jonathan was a little flat. His scientist side showed more than his father or husband side which made him come off as a little cold. He never really seemed to be in the forefront but that might be because most of the chapters were from Naomi's point of view. The majority of the other characters fade in and out and you don't really get a good sense of who they are.

My favourite part about this book, of course, is the cover. It's absolutely stunning and one of the first reasons I picked up this book. Whoever designed it, bravo! ( )
  keyboardscoffee | May 30, 2016 |
Having read and enjoyed all of Peter's Roy Grace novels I thought I would give his stand alone novel, Perfect People a go.
I struggled to get through the first 50 pages; I don't know if this is because I am not very scientifically minded or if not much was really happening. However, I ploughed on and am glad I did. The novel picked up pace after this with loads going on to keep the pages turning especially in the latter stages of the book.
This book took Peter James 10 years to write and he has quite obviously done a lot of research into genetics and 'designer babies.' What this book essentially does through the telling of the story is highlight the pros and cons of genetic engineering. It is a book which will make you think of these negatives and positives. The ending of the book was certainly thought provoking...I did not see that one coming!
I think that this would be an ideal book for reading groups as whether or not people enjoy the book the issues raised in the book is guaranteed to lead to a varied and lively discussion/debate.
  helen.mcbay | Apr 1, 2013 |
There were times when I found this book to be quite chilling, particularly as it becomes clear - step by step - that things are not turning out as the couple expect. The story takes a slightly James Bond-esque turn towards the end, but the ending is startling and disturbing, and brings together a number of loose threads rather neatly. ( )
  Stroudley | Oct 22, 2012 |
This unsettling thriller is about a couple who wishes to conceive a child who will not inherit the gene for a deadly disease, a gene both parents carry. They have only the best of intentions, but things go horribly wrong. The effects of stress on the couple in the story were depicted with great accuracy. ( )
  harrietgate | Aug 28, 2012 |
Another great read from Peter James - he never disappoints me. This book deals with genetic engineering and it is inevitable that something will go wrong. The ending is unusual and not what I was expecting.
Thoroughly enjoyable! ( )
  dannN | Mar 20, 2012 |
Iedereen wil een volmaakt kind, maar tegen welke prijs...
Laat op een middag in april, dertig mijl ten oosten van Cape Cod, staat een jong stel met hun bagage op het helikopterdek van een omgebouwd cruiseschip.

When a young couple join a fertility programme run by a clinic in America they little suspect that the happy day that follows is the last day of mankind's evolutionary supremacy. Mankind is facing its greatest challenge: obsolescence.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,491,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible