A Taste Of You by Jennifer Stevenson

A Taste Of You (edition 2011)

by Jennifer Stevenson

Member:melhaf76
Title:A Taste Of You
Authors:Jennifer Stevenson
Info:
Rating:*****

A Taste Of You by Jennifer Stevenson

English (34)  Greek (1)  All (35)
This book follows Helen ‘Hel’ as she tries to figure out ways to suck energy from people without doing them any harm. She is an energy vampire and if she is not careful, she can suck energy from someone until they turn into nothing but dust.

Not all energy tastes the same. Bad people with bad thoughts give off bad tasting energy, so sucking energy during her subway rides is bottom of the barrel picking, but something Hel does to keep from getting too hungry and possibly hurting someone she loves.

In this world being magic of any kind is a bad thing, so she hides her true self from everyone. When Agent Nick shows up at her work and wants her to help uncover someone who may be using magic, Hel samples his energy and he is soooooo delicious! Since he is an anti-magic cop, she has to be very careful when she is around him so he doesn’t find out what she really is and have her arrested.

This is my first book by this author and I really enjoyed it. I didn’t like that Hel was so crybaby all the time, but I guess going without love (or sex) for 40 years or so would tend to make someone a bit on edge. I enjoyed all the roller derby action and the cool names the girls had given themselves. I especially enjoyed all the names for the different moves the girls would put on people.

I would have enjoyed learning a bit more about the different characters and what was going on with them. There were references to her shrink, Dr. Springe, not looking right and that she had a possible link to Dr. Katterfelto then nothing was ever mentioned again. They were mentions of different magics in the world, but only a few mentions as to what they were or how they were being used.

** Note **
I received this book free from LibraryThing Early Reviewers program in exchange for an honest review. I received no chocolate or any other compensation in exchange for my review. ( )
  AlaskanBookie | Sep 23, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A new and novel approach to vampire romance. Hel is on a roller derby team wear she can get the energy she needs. She gets caught up in a scheme to recover a magic coin and encounters romance on the way. I thought the book was unique and a fast read. ( )
  kresslya | Mar 19, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Refreshing take on the vampire genre. Hel is an energy vampire as a result of a wish gone wrong that's left her stuck looking like a 17 year old for four decade (and a few years give or take). She's not your typical damsel in distress heroine you find in many fantasy novel this days. The dialogue is witting and the plot just flows. And Nick is certainly an interesting character. Readers will enjoy unraveling the mystery as they turn the pages. Ideal for light reading. ( )
  saalaame | Mar 17, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I ended up actually really enjoying this book. It was a nice fresh take on the vampire type genre where instead of living off blood Hel lives off of Prana, which is humans life force. The book was quite entertaining, but what I ended up liking most about the book was how funny it was. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a fun quick read. ( )
  LyzzieB | Feb 25, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Though I do like my paranormal books, I'm not the biggest fan of vampires on the whole, but this was a very enjoyable book. Of course it has it's problems, but still it was a speedy read. I like that it included Roller Derby in it as I'm a fan of that sport myself! I like the touches of humor throughout the book and will look into reading something from this author in the future. ( )
  slackerlibrarian | Feb 24, 2012 |

An energy vampire at seventeen, Hel reduced her first lover to ashes. Forty years later, she still looks seventeen. Her life is teaching hyperactive boys, roller derby, and worrying about paying her mother's hospital bills. Nick Jones, federal anti-magic cop, has a secret, too. Magic turns him on, to his shame. This makes it hard for him when he's assigned to recruit Hel. Nick feels guilty for his attraction to a teenager. Hel adores Nick's yummy energy. If he learns she's a vampire, he'll send her to Hinky Guantanamo. But how can they keep their hands off each other?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jennifer Stevenson's book A Taste Of You was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,232,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible