Whither Thou Goest, I Will Go by Naomi…

Whither Thou Goest, I Will Go (edition 2011)

by Naomi Dathan

Jem Perkins is used to her comfortable city life--she has a fine house, a handsome husband, and a new baby boy. But when her family's financial situation takes a turn for the worst, she must learn to adapt to her new life--in a sod house on a Nebraska homestead. Jem reluctantly adapts to the harsh realities of prairie life: churning butter, fighting illness, enduring loneliness. In Jem's desperate prayers for deliverance, she eventually encounters the God she's always thought she'd known and finds strength she didn't know she had. But when the history-making Children's Blizzard of 1888 sweeps across the land, ushering in a new season of hardship so harsh no one could have imagined, Jem will have to endure more than she ever has before. Can Jem's confidence, marriage, and new-found faith weather the storm?… (more)
Member:paulmorriss
Title:Whither Thou Goest, I Will Go
Authors:Naomi Dathan
Info:Kirkdale Press (2011), Kindle Edition
Collections:Ebooks

Whither Thou Goest, I Will Go by Naomi Dathan

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Like a few of the others, I was unable to download this book in a format that was readable. (Epubs are best for me.)
  saffron12 | Jun 9, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won this book through Early Reviewers. Sadly, I wasn't paying attention when I requested it, because I didn't realize it was in a format I couldn't utilize. My apologies to the provider of the giveaway, and I'll have to get a copy of the book elsewhere and read it.
  bunkie68 | Jul 27, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I looked forward to reading this book about a major blizzard in American history. It centers around a young couple who move from a wealthy life to a homesteading life and some of the struggles they face. The main event is a horrific blizzard that strikes unexpectedly. However, the character development is poor and leaves them seeming very shallow. Hopefully, this writer will improve with practice.
  milliebeverly | May 24, 2012 |
From the synopsis:

"Jem Perkins has it all – money, a fine house, a handsome husband, and a new baby boy. But when her family fortunes turn, Jem’s husband Seth leads her to a new home: a sod house on a Nebraska homestead.

It is a season of growth for Jem as she reluctantly confronts her new realities: back-breaking labor, dangerous illness, and mind-numbing isolation. She learns to embrace her new role as a capable woman and marriage partner and discovers an awareness of God’s hand in her life.

Then, on January 12, 1888, the history-making Children’s Blizzard sweeps across the land, ushering in a season of hardship she never expected. Can Jem’s confidence, marriage, and new-found faith weather the storm?"

I received this e-book through LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program.

Initially, the description sounded interesting to me. I like to read books from this era to learn about what it was like to live during this time period.

I tried many times to sit down and get into this book. I just could not do it. I'm sure it's a great book but, it just could not hold my interest and was really not my cup of tea. ( )
  WifeMomKnitter | Mar 29, 2012 |
After some difficulties being able to access this book online, I finally was able to read it. I approach Christian fiction with a skeptical eye, as a lot of it tends toward “preachiness.” This book turned out not to be like that, but an altogether great read.
Set in the 1800s, Jem Perkins was used to a very comfortable life, having people caring for her every need. Her husband, Seth, who had been in the Army, decided to get out when Jem’s father was involved in a scandal involving the theft of a great deal of money. Seth and Jem set out to become homesteaders. Keep in mind Jem did not know how to cook, do laundry, keep house, or take care of her own child, Charlie.
Somehow she learned to do it all, not without grumbling and tears, but she came across as a very strong, capable person. Seth had some terrible health issues (we are never told what these were) that affected his ability to work and keep up the farm work. Jem’s faith in God was severely tested, but as she matured, so did her faith in God.
The story reached a climax with the Blizzard of 1888, a time when many people and thousands of heads of livestock were lost when a blizzard along with plummeting temperatures came up without warning, leaving them stranded without protection from the storm. Many people died in this storm.
The author, Naomi Dathan, left several opportunities for a sequel to this story. If we look at the end of the story with a sequel in mind, it was a satisfying read. ( )
  shutch | Mar 15, 2012 |

For everything there is a season. A season for joy. A season for sorrow. A season for testing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Naomi Dathan's book Whither Thou Goest, I Will Go was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Naomi Dathan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,623,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible