Dollars & Uncommon Sense: Basic Training for…

Dollars & Uncommon Sense: Basic Training for Your Money (edition 2012)

by Steve Repak

199537,190 (4.22)1
Member:mookiekat
Title:Dollars & Uncommon Sense: Basic Training for Your Money
Authors:Steve Repak
Info:RFS Publishing (2012), Paperback, 166 pages
Rating:***1/2

Dollars & Uncommon Sense: Basic Training for Your Money by

I chose to read and review this book since I recently came into a windfall an I wanted to make sure I used the money wisely. This book was helpful, I read it straight through like it suggests and it actually helped me a lot.

It also has a super handy list of references and websites you can go to take care of your finances. I also like the way the author sees money. He isn't about coming a multi-billionaire (well you can) he is about giving back and sharing what you have in order to get more out of it.

Will definitely recommend. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"Dollars & Uncommon Sense (Basic Training for Your Money" was written by Certified Financial Planner (CFP) Steve Repak, for the purpose "to provide accurate and authoritative information on the subject of personal finance."

Personal Finance is a subject that every high school student should be required to take and master. Indeed, every local, state and federal official and politician should be required to master this subject.

After the initial section on "basic training," Repak discusses Spending, Debt, and Saving and Investing, using the same easy-to-remember format -- Principle, Priorities, and Plan.

The author, a "motivational speaker," uses a conversational narrative style -- as opposed to textbook style narrative -- and liberally uses real life (and hypothetical) illustrations and examples to support his arguments.

The tabel of contents:

Priorities: Quit Charging and Start Saving
Plan: Uncommon Sense Steps for Getting Out of Debt

Part 4: Saving and Investing

Principle: It Doesn't Take a Million to Make a Million
Priorities: "Life Happens," Then "I Quit!"
Plan: Invest in Your Future

The book also contains Useful Websites, a Glossary, and Worksheets at the end, along with many helpful charts, tables and illustrations throughout each chapter.

This book is very helpful in understanding the critical and practical subject of personal finance. ( )
  gabri71685 | Nov 20, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book from Library Thing in exchange for an honest review.

I am so glad I was given the opportunity to read this book! With clarity and ordinary language, Steve Repak shares from experience how to get out of debt, how to save money and still have enough to live on, and how to prepare for a financially secure retirement – starting now.

In Dollars and Uncommon Sense you will find sound information and advice. The author, who is now a successful financial adviser, came out of the army with over $32,000 in credit card debt. He struggled to break free of that and eventually figured out how to efficiently pay it all off and still get ahead. In his well-written book – which is as easy to read as it would be to sit down and talk with him – he tells it how it is while helping the reader set up a plan for wise financial transformation. At the end of each chapter is a summary of the main points.

Part 1: Basic Training

Chapter 7 – Priorities: Quit Charging and Start Saving

Chapter 8 – Plan: Uncommon Sense Steps for Getting out of Debt

Part 4: Saving and Investing

Chapter 9 – Principle: It Doesn’t Take a Million to Make a Million

Chapter 10 – Priorities: “Life Happens,” Then “I Quit!”

Chapter 11 – Plan: Invest in Your Future

At the end, Steve Repak has a section called Useful Websites, a Glossary of the words perhaps hard to understand, and Worksheets that can also be downloaded from his own website. He seems to have made every attempt in this book to help the reader understand how debt can be handled, and how to live with adequate funds while also saving for enough to live on comfortably in retirement.

It is never too late to apply his methods. For anyone too young to even be considering retirement, this is the very time to begin the plan! You won’t regret it.

Dollars & Uncommon Sense: Basic Training for Your Money is not a book to read, say “that was helpful,” and lay aside. This is a book with a step-by-step strategy to live free of the burden of debt and the worry of ‘will I have enough to live on?’ I urge you to “take the steps necessary to change your financial future.” ( )
  Polilla-Lynn | Jun 9, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Confession: I have had three books by different financial guru's in my immediate TBR pile for months. So long, in fact, that one of them has been renewed from the library three times, is due back next week, and still hasn't been read. Why? It's big and intimidating! That old guy with glasses holding a wad of hundreds just staring at me...So I started with this one. It was the smallest. But I'm glad I did! It was a quick read (I read it in just one night) and very easy to understand. Repak even made it so I understand investing! Not a whole lot about investing, but a little overview. Anyways.....

Steve Repak speaks from experience in this book. He left the military with more than $30,000 in credit card debt. Now he's a CFP helping others manage their money. He offers very simple steps to recognize where your money is going, start saving, pay off debt, and start investing. It's very simple to understand, and he offers blank worksheets to help you put the lessons into practice.

I really like his uncommon-sense approach. He makes the point that most people are in debt, worry about money, and live paycheck to paycheck. "So why the heck would you want to be like most people?" One tip was something I had always thought: Pay off the debt with the highest interest rate first, not the debt with the lowest balance (contrary to what other famous financial guys say). A lot of his tips are of the common sense variety, but since they are rarely practiced, they seem like uncommon sense. For gexample: Spend less than you make.

If you are struggling with managing your money and getting out of debt, check out this book. It's a quick and easy read with great, simple tips to manage your money.

Highly recommended, 4/5 stars!

*Note: I received this book free through LibraryThing's Early Reviewer's program, in exchange for a review. I was under no obligation to provide a positive (or negative) review. ( )
  AspiringAshley | Mar 7, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
i received this book as a new release and was very impressed with the way the author steve repak lays out the guidelines for getting your finances in order. most of us live from paycheck to paycheck and have any where from 2 to 5 credit cards that we are trying to juggle. the author shows you how to pay off your credit in less time and save in interest. although i have just started to put it into practice so far it is relatively easy. at the end of the book he talks about investments and i found that very hard to understand and grasp but i guess if i keep on track that will be the next chapter of my life. well written and easy to read. ( )
  mookiekat | Feb 20, 2012 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

's book Dollars & Uncommon Sense was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,325,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible