Fifty Shades Freed: Book Three of the Fifty…

Fifty Shades Freed: Book Three of the Fifty Shades Trilogy (edition 2012)

by E L James

3,6791871,429 (3.37)1 / 75
Member:johnsonba
Title:Fifty Shades Freed: Book Three of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
Authors:E L James
Info:Vintage (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 592 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Fifty Shades Freed by E. L. James

English (182)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All (191)
Now that I’ve finished the Fifty Shades Trilogy I’m feeling both happy and sad. I’m so happy that I finally got around to reading the series, because it’s been one of the most amazing literary experiences of my life. I’ve loved each of the books in turn, as I followed Christian and Anastasia through their tumultuous, emotional, roller-coaster relationship that has seen them both grow and change in unexpected but welcome ways. I’ve come to love the characters so much, I almost feel like they’re real. I just can’t get enough of them. At the same time, I’m now sad, because I can’t go back and become a Fifty Shades virgin again.:-( Don’t you wish you could flip a switch in your brain and forget your favorite stories, so you can read them all over again like it’s the first time? But alas, their story is finished (more or less). I know that the author is rewriting it from Christian's perspective, and I welcome the chance to read it again from a different point of view, but I probably won’t until Ms. James has all of them completed. I could barely stand to wait between these books, and I don’t think I’ll want to wait between the new POV books either. We’ll see, though, if I can hold out that long.:-) At least I have the Fifty Shades Darker movie to console me in the immediate, but then I’ll probably have to wait another year for the movie version of this book. No matter what, though, these are books that I won’t soon forget and will definitely revisit in the years to come.

Christian is one of the most unforgettable romance heroes I’ve ever read. He’s a brilliant businessman, but his intelligence surpasses the business world and can be found in his personal life, too, in the form of his interests, hobbies, and general knowledge. He begins the series as a broken man, who doesn’t think he has much to offer from a genuine relationship standpoint. All he’s ever know is his Dominant lifestyle, but Anastasia becomes the one woman he can’t resist on an emotional level and who tempts him to want more. All of his love, affection, desire, and passion becomes solely focused on her alone, which makes for a heady romantic brew. Christian has grown from a Dom who wanted to tame Ana and bend her to his will, to a husband and lover who’s intrigued and challenged by her smart mouth and unwillingness to be cowed by him. He’s also grown to regret any pain or discomfort he brings her even if she found enjoyment in it, which I feel shows just how much he truly cares for her and is willing to change for her. Of course, he’s still eager to engage in sex play, so that hasn’t changed.;-) He just doesn’t want to mark or hurt her anymore. Christian’s vulnerabilities and how he still sometimes needs reassurance continue to melt my heart. As always, he can be a bit overbearing and overprotective, but most of the time, he's open to listening to Ana's concerns and taking her feelings into consideration. However, he isn’t perfect. When unexpected circumstances arise, putting his carefully ordered world into disarray, it can be difficult for him to cope. But he eventually comes around. In the end, I felt like he’d made great strides from an emotional perspective. Hence the “freed” in the title. In some ways, he’d changed, and in other ways, he didn’t. But in every way, he’d become a better version of himself.

I like that Ana is still the ordinary girl from day one, who's out of her element in Christian's world of wealth and splendor. She's totally content with the simple things in life even though he wants to place the world at her feet. On their honeymoon, when he bought her a bracelet that cost thousands, she later went out and brought herself a five dollar anklet at a low-end tourist shop, which I thought perfectly showcased the kind of girl she is. For her, it’s never been about the money; it’s only about her love for Christian. Although Ana has always been willing to take a stand when she needed to, she began as a shy girl who lacked confidence in her abilities. Being with Christian has helped her to grow into a more confident woman who doesn’t hesitate to speak out to both her beloved husband and others. I love how she stood up to their new architect who was being sexually predatory toward Christian, and let her know in no uncertain terms that she wasn’t going to put up with it. Ana is every bit as protective of Christian as he is of her, and she worries every bit as much about his safety as he worries about hers. Christian may have begun their love story with plans to tame Ana, but in fact, it was she who tamed him. She's incredibly deft at handling Christian's mercurial moods and keeping him from losing control most of the time. It’s like she’s become the Christian whisperer.:-) And just because she doesn’t like the hard-core BDSM stuff that he used to engage in doesn’t mean that she doesn’t like to play too. In fact, she’s begun to crave his kinks and is actually disappointed when they can’t have playtime.

Christian and Ana’s relationship is a thing of rare beauty. They’re both very giving and loving toward each other, showing a willingness to compromise until they find that happy medium that’s acceptable to both of them. It's really cute how they can't seem to get enough of each other. They love one another with their whole beings and from the moment they met, all others ceased to exist. They each believe in the other in ways they often don’t believe in themselves, but in doing so they help the other to gain confidence in their own capabilities. Their relationship is one of warm, sweet, emotional moments interspersed with lots and lots of blazing passion. By the time I reached the end of the book, I was more than convinced that Christian and Ana were going to have a long and happy future together, till death do they part.

The one and only thing about this book that I found ever so slightly disappointing is that I really wanted more of a comeuppance for Elena aka Mrs. Robinson. Like Ana, I never felt like what she did to Christian at such a young age was right, even if he did feel it helped him in some ways. I loved what happened in the last book with Ana and Christian’s mother taking the woman to task, but I was almost expecting more in this book. Without giving too much away, I’ll say that I was at least glad that Christian came to a place of accepting that his relationship with her hadn’t entirely been as a good thing as he’d originally thought and he permanently cut ties with her once and for all. It’s just that I always agreed with Ana that she wasn’t the true “friend” that Christian thought her to be and in fact, had behaved in a sexually predatory manner toward him. However, I guess this is one of those things where there unfortunately isn’t equality between the sexes. And it wasn’t in any way a deal-breaker for me, nor did it mar my reading of this otherwise exceptional love story. Christian and Ana’s extraordinary love more than made up for it.

I also enjoyed all the little side romances that have been brewing in the background over the course of the trilogy. Christian’s brother, Elliot, and Ana’s best friend, Kate, move forward in their relationship. Exactly what’s going on between Christian’s sister, Mia, and Kate’s brother, Ethan, remains somewhat ambiguous, but it seems like they may have something romantic in the works too. Then there’s a slightly unexpected pairing that we first learn of in this book, which leads to more for this couple. Of course, Christian’s parents who are still happily married after many years shine as a beacon of love and hope.

Even though I’ve tried, I don’t think I can begin to express exactly how much I love these books and how much of an impact they’ve had on me. Christian is the kind of hero I’d love to wrap up in my arms and give all the love he deserves, while Ana is someone I could definitely see myself being friends with, because we’re so much alike. I enjoyed the way Ms. James bookended this volume of the story with two little vignettes from Christian’s childhood. The opening one nearly had be in tears as this little boy struggles for life in the days following his birth mother’s death. The ending one was happier with little Christian celebrating his first Christmas as the Grey’s newly adopted son, but at the same time, we can still see the sadness and self-loathing present in that tiny head. The author finishes the book off with two scenes from Christian’s perspective, the first being where he meets Ana in his office, and the second being his visit to her at Clayton’s hardware store. I’m guessing that these scenes are giving a glimpse of the opening chapters of Grey, and I can’t wait to read more. But alas, I suppose I’ll have to be patient. In any case, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this ride and will definitely take any opportunity I can get to revisit Christian and Ana’s world in the future.

Note: This book contains explicit language and sexual situations, including bondage, spanking, use of sex toys, and anal play, which some readers may find offensive. ( )
  mom2lnb | Feb 13, 2017 |
Ugh. So...before I read this series, I assumed the trilogy would go like this: Fifty Shades of Grey - Anastasia dates fucked up sociopath. Fifty Shades Darker - Christian gets even more abusive and psychologically controlling. Fifty Shades Freed - Anastasia finally finds the inner strength she needs to walk away from this shitty human being. But no. Because Anastasia (and apparently the author) have the same delusion that sociopaths and people with pathological personalities just need the right woman to "fix them" it doesn't work out that way. I've seen enough women in my family and life get destroyed by this delusion. People like Christian only change if *they* want to change and work their ass off to do it themself. Despite the perky epilogue, Christian will continue controlling, domineering, and abusing Anastasia until the day one of them dies. I'd really love to read a psychologist's companion piece to this - like "The Annotated Fifty Shades" annotated by a psychology doctorate. ( )
  benuathanasia | Feb 4, 2017 |
Honestly I couldn't even finish this book. I got a little more than halfway done and couldn't go on. I felt compelled to complete this trilogy because everyone rants and raves about how good it is so I kept pushing myself thinking the good parts I've been hearing about must be coming up momentarily but when I reached the halfway point of the third book I had to admit that said good parts were nonexistent.

I can appreciate some good smutt if the mood strikes me and I'm one of the few who isn't ashamed to admit that I will read occasional erotica so when I heard all the hype about this so called-x-rated-gone-mainstream Fifty Shades Trilogy I was overjoyed that this once once taboo genre was finally crossing into the world of socially acceptable, however, after embarking on the often painful journey of completely nearly all three of these books, I can assure you, that is certainly not the case. These books are far from the x-rated erotica they were advertised as and frankly I want my money back! J/k but seriously I was so disappointed...the story line was weak, the sex scenes were to vanilla for my tastes and once you read one you'd read them all, it was just a drawn out boring saga. I think it could have easily been condensed into just one book and that might have made it somewhat better although still not very good, I'm afraid. ( )
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 26, 2017 |
The loathing I feel for this book and its fangirls is unlimited and unmatched. ( )
  kyndyleizabella | Jan 23, 2017 |
Fifty Shades Freed

The Characters:

Christian Grey
Ana Grey

The Story:

I don’t think I’ll say anything more than my “stream of consciousness” below lists.

The Random Thoughts:

-Why do I keep doing this to myself?
-Why hasn't Ana been diagnosed as a schizophrenic yet.
-My favorite parts are the emails/messages between Ana and Christian.
-I routinely skip the sex scenes because I can't take the horrible dialogue.
-Say he confuses you one more time. 78 is not enough.
-Christian is always trying to feed Ana. Keep it up and she's going to be 600 pounds.
-Is this book sponsored by Audi?
-Well I didn't see any of that coming. Jack Hyde is a piece of work.
-The phrases "Oh, Christian", "Oh, Ana" and "Oh, baby" should be permanently stricken from Ms James' vocabulary. Like how did her editor not have a problem with this?

3 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Nov 11, 2016 |
Para mi Mama con todo mi amor y gratitud
And for my beloved Father,
Daddy I miss you every day
Mommy! Mommy! Mommy is asleep on the floor.
For all our firsts on your first birthday as my beloved life.
I love you
C x
*WOULD YOU LIKE MRS. LINCOLN TO JOIN US
WHEN WE EVENTUALLY DISCUSS THIS TEXT SHE
SENT YOU? IT WILL SAVE YOU RUNNING TO
HER AFTERWARD, YOU WIFE*

When unworldly student Anastasia Stelle first encountered the driven and dazzling young entrepreneur Christian Grey it sparked a sensual affair that changed both of their lives irrevocably. Shocked, intrigued, and, ultimately repelled by Christian's singular erotic tastes, Ana demand a deeper commitment. Determined to keep her, Christian agrees.

Now, Ana and Christian have it all - love, passion, intimacy, wealth, and a world of possibilities for their future. but Ana knows that loving her Fifty Shades will not be easy, and that being together will pose challenges that neither of them would anticipate. Ana must somehow learn to share Christian's opulent lifestyle without sacrificing her own identity. And Christian must overcome his compulsion to control as he wrestles with the demons of a tormented past.

Just when it seems that their strength together will eclipse any obstacle, misfortune, malice and fate conspire to make Ana's deepest fears turn to reality.

When unworldly student Ana Steele first encountered the driven, damaged young entrepreneur Christian Grey, it sparked a sensual affair that changed both their lives irrevocably. Shocked, intrigued, and ultimately repelled by Christian's singular sexual tastes, Ana demanded a deeper commitment; determined to keep her, Christian agreed. Now, together, they have more--love, passion, intimacy, wealth, and a world of infinite possibilities. But Ana always knew that loving her Fifty Shades would not be easy and being together poses challenges neither of them ever anticipated.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades Trilogy #3) by E. L. James was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,556,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible