Fifty Shades Freed: Book Three of the Fifty…

Fifty Shades Freed: Book Three of the Fifty Shades Trilogy (edition 2012)

by E L James

2,9081531,984 (3.37)1 / 71
Member:johnsonba
Title:Fifty Shades Freed: Book Three of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
Authors:E L James
Info:Vintage (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 592 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Fifty Shades Freed by E. L. James

English (148)  Spanish (4)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (156)
1.25. More of the same shit. Don't these people ever just go to the movies or work without distractions? Such an unrealistic series of books. Ana and Christian continue to fight and doubt each others feelings for each other despite being married after knowing each other for 2 months. They fight about the same shit they did in the first two books but at least in Fifty Shades Freed there's an end to it. So we are meant to believe they just happen to let go of their issues and everything is fine and dandy. Very boring ending to a boring series. Finally she agrees to let him do a little more of the Sub/Dom stuff and the book ends. So much fail. Then the added drama about the baby and Jack Hyde fizzles out with a half-assed explanation as to why he had a problem with them. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 14, 2015 |
Well all I can say is THANK CHRIST THAT IS OVER. Oh and also thank god I never actually wasted any of my money on this crap. Why did I read them all you ask? Well I hate to leave something unfinished and rarely give up on a book but boy was I tempted with these. Oh well now I can get back to some better stuff I suppose. This series is a prime example of the power of hype over substance. ( )
  WWDG | May 6, 2015 |
The final part of the trilogy felt very cheesy and predictable, resembling a Nicholas Sparks novel rather than the hot & sexy E.L. James one. I like a love-conquers-all, romantic story with a happy ending as much as the next girl, but the idea that Christian got over his 20+ years worth of psychological and behavioural problems in a matter of three months is completely ridiculous! That aside, it is a delight to read something that is written in such a modern, uncomplicated, witty, and very emotional language. And even though nothing unexpected really happened, I could not put this book down until I read it all. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
DISCLAIMER: This is a review of an audiobook.

WHAT IS IT ABOUT?

“Fifty Shades Freed” by E.L. James is the last book in a romantic/erotic trilogy Fifty Shades. Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey have gotten married and their relationship is blooming. However, there is a lot the young couple still needs to learn: Ana has to find a way to share Christian’s lifestyle without losing her own identity, and Christian needs to fight the demons from his past and to overcome his urge to control Ana’s every move. As if that is not enough, Ana and Christian’s relationship is also tested by unexpected challenges and new enemies.

1) Narration.
Just like the previous two audiobooks, “Fifty Shades Freed” is read by Becca Battoe, whose passionate narration and colorful intonations suit the story perfectly. The only exception is the flashback to four-year-old Christian’s first Christmas, which Battoe reads in a rather annoying child’s voice. Luckily, this part is very short.

2) Last third of the book.
For the most part, I did not like this book (see an extensive COULD BE BETTER section) and was almost certain I would get a chance to write my first one-star review ever, BUT the last third of the book bumped up my rating to two stars. Although the last chapters were rather predictable and far away from good, there was at least SOME action and less of the torturously boring sex.

COULD BE BETTER:

1) Unhealthy relationship.
In my review of “Fifty Shades Darker,” I complained that Ana and Christian’s relationship is rather messed up and seems to be driven by nothing else but lust and bodily desire. Well, nothing has really changed: Ana and Christian are constantly fighting over nothing. Plus, Ana is still kind of afraid of Christian’s mood swings and always finds ways to justify his irrational behavior. They seem to be happiest when in bed, but honestly, how long can such a relationship last?

2) Unrealistic.
Everything from the characters to the storyline seems VERY unrealistic. What is more, nothing bad ever happens, not permanently at least, as all the unpleasant situations are resolved quite fast and quite easily, making the story predictable, boring and hardly relatable.

3) Nothing happens.
Except for the events in the last third of the book, there is not much going on besides highly repetitive and boring sex. It almost seems like the author is scared to add any plot twists and, as soon as anything unexpected happens, she is rushing to resolve things and restore the normal, boring and sex-overloaded storyline.

4) One-dimensional heroine.
James keeps emphasizing how smart Ana is, but all Ana’s actions hint the opposite. Just like I mentioned in my previous review, except for an occasional witty remark, nothing interesting comes out of Ana’s mouth or happens in her head, she keeps repeating the same things over and over, makes a big fuss over nothing and creates problems where none exist. In addition, Ana is full of self-doubt, often is unbearably melodramatic and irresponsible, and keeps making the worst decisions possible. Such an annoying and unlikable character! I cannot believe that I genuinely liked her in the first book…

5) Repetitive and annoying.
As before, the sex scenes are highly repetitive and torturously boring, and there are A LOT of them. Plus, the whole story is annoyingly melodramatic.

6) Bad writing.
Repetition, absence of story building and character development, melodrama… I don’t think I need further proof that James’ writing is pretty bad.

7) Epilogue.
The author leaves nothing to the imagination: at the end of the book the reader is fast-forwarded to Ana and Christian’s future, then thrown back to four-year-old Christian’s first Christmas, and finally is made to relive the very first chapter of the trilogy, this time from Christian’s perspective. Needless to say, the couple’s future is easily predictable and rather boring. Although the flashback is quite interesting, the four-year-old Christian’s voice is quite annoying. And Ana and Christian’s first encounter from Christian’s perspective is simply disappointing - Christian is such an arrogant asshole!

VERDICT: 2 out of 5

“Fifty Shades Freed” by E.L. James is a textbook example of poor story building and character development. It’s also quite repetitive, annoyingly melodramatic, unrealistic and has barely any plot. I strongly recommend stopping after the first book - the rest of the series is simply not worth the time. ( )
1 vote AgneJakubauskaite | Apr 12, 2015 |
I just retread the entire series to start the new year, 2013. I lied them even better the 2nd time around, lol. ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
Para mi Mama con todo mi amor y gratitud
And for my beloved Father,
Daddy I miss you every day
Mommy! Mommy! Mommy is asleep on the floor.
For all our firsts on your first birthday as my beloved life.
I love you
C x
*WOULD YOU LIKE MRS. LINCOLN TO JOIN US
WHEN WE EVENTUALLY DISCUSS THIS TEXT SHE
SENT YOU? IT WILL SAVE YOU RUNNING TO
HER AFTERWARD, YOU WIFE*

When unworldly student Anastasia Stelle first encountered the driven and dazzling young entrepreneur Christian Grey it sparked a sensual affair that changed both of their lives irrevocably. Shocked, intrigued, and, ultimately repelled by Christian's singular erotic tastes, Ana demand a deeper commitment. Determined to keep her, Christian agrees.

Now, Ana and Christian have it all - love, passion, intimacy, wealth, and a world of possibilities for their future. but Ana knows that loving her Fifty Shades will not be easy, and that being together will pose challenges that neither of them would anticipate. Ana must somehow learn to share Christian's opulent lifestyle without sacrificing her own identity. And Christian must overcome his compulsion to control as he wrestles with the demons of a tormented past.

Just when it seems that their strength together will eclipse any obstacle, misfortune, malice and fate conspire to make Ana's deepest fears turn to reality.

When unworldly student Ana Steele first encountered the driven, damaged young entrepreneur Christian Grey, it sparked a sensual affair that changed both their lives irrevocably. Shocked, intrigued, and ultimately repelled by Christian's singular sexual tastes, Ana demanded a deeper commitment; determined to keep her, Christian agreed. Now, together, they have more--love, passion, intimacy, wealth, and a world of infinite possibilities. But Ana always knew that loving her Fifty Shades would not be easy and being together poses challenges neither of them ever anticipated.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades Trilogy #3) by E. L. James was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,217,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible