Fifty Shades Freed by E L James

Fifty Shades Freed (edition 2012)

by E L James

2,8521432,036 (3.37)1 / 70
Member:ChloeHallatt
Title:Fifty Shades Freed
Authors:E L James
Info:The Writer's Coffee Shop (2012), Paperback, 466 pages
Rating:*****

Fifty Shades Freed by E. L. James

English (137)  Spanish (4)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (145)
It's about 90% garbage and 100% repetitive.

Anastasia is a doormat (as previously established in book 1, chapter 1), she fancies herself insightful, and she's a moron. Her inner dialogue is at all times some variation of "oh my" or "oh crap" or "oh f---" or "oh sh--" though she's supposed to be a literary intellectual. Actaully, at this point she's supposed to be an actual editor! I'd bet that even real life EL James has never, ever, ever actually met an editor.

Here's the plot of all the books combined because they were simply repeated in each book:
They argue. She gives in, every time. Not 'cause he's right. Nope. Just 'cause he's pretty. And you never get the chance to forget that. They screw, multiple times a day, and it's old and predictable and exhausting. Crap happens - un-compelling crap without any sense of reality - just to give them a reason to argue and then screw. And.......(drum roll)....they end up happily ever after with kids. That's right guys! These deplorable people have reproduced and are growing daily so they can terrorize your children in the future!!

And then there's Mr. Grey who is always angry because of a 1 dimensional backstory that the writer (can we call her a writer at this point?) grabbed from the back of some napkin from a trash can. The only difference in this book is that half of it is experienced through flashbacks that felt more like a bad drug trip from what I hear. ( )
  jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |
Still abysmal writing. Plot points still forced and lacking integrity in terms of believe-ability. Characters at least a bit more fully formed.

All in all, the trilogy was not worth my time, but neither was it something to be so up in arms about as much of the BDSM community seems to be. Yes, Grey is rich. Yes, he steps beyond the limits of what would be acceptable behavior for Doms in the real world. But, IT'S FICTION! The points that need to be clear are. He's interested in a contract. When he realizes Ana can't be the submissive he thinks he desires, he rewrites his own needs because she is more important than a flogger. He verifies she knows how to have him stop at all times when they are playing. He is cautious about bringing her undue harm. He is all about RACK (Risk Aware Consensual Kink).

Yes, he is stalkerish and a bit creepy. I bet many people would be in his shoes (if such shoes existed), working to keep a divide between his personal life and his business world.

While my suspension of disbelief was completely ruined by things like not buying Ana an iPhone, his continued use of a Blackberry despite strides made in the security of Androids, and his completely tame list of activities and abundant use of hard limits, it it fiction. Not good fiction, mind you, but fiction. It is enjoyable on some fronts, and the rest needs to be forgiven already. ( )
  HippieLunatic | Mar 16, 2015 |
Ok maybe it's trash, and if read as such, it was very entertaining. The book made for some great conversations with my close friends and I wouldn't want my husband to read it (haha) but I had fun with all three books. I liked the characters and especially Christian. I am not happy about young girls and guys reading this and thinking that this is a normal relationship. It's twisted and not normal (to me anyway). The violence bothers me. Read it, talk about it and have some laughs! Is it five star worthy? Only if you read it for what it is, trashy sexy entertainment. It is not literature. ( )
  LASMIT | Mar 11, 2015 |
A disappointment, I skimmed the last half of the book. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
This review is for the entire series. So let me start by saying that I really did want to like this series, my best friend talked me into reading it, and it wasn't awful, but I didn't think it was as great as apparently every other person on the planet does. The first book was the best for me by far. In books 2 and 3, I could not stand Ana. Yes Christian is controlling, yes he has all kinds of issues, but I saw him making an effort for Ana, and all I got from her was whining and nagging and immaturity and insecurity; so that by the time I got a quarter of the way through book 3, all I really wanted to do was strangle her and throw my kindle on to the ground and smash it into little pieces. Everything was about her and what she wanted and what he wasn't doing or giving her. Nothing about how hard he was trying and that he was talking to her and telling her things about his past and always having to push him when she shouldn't. And I don't understand why she couldn't let go of the dumbest little issues, but major issues like bathing Leila or not informing her of the increased security wiht his family and why were forgotten. She was just completely obnoxious, and I wonder why Christian stayed with her. Again, I know he had issues and was very controlling, but he had a very traumatic childhood including his relationship with Mrs. Robinson. Other than being young what is Ana's excuse?! At one point she mentioned always being rejected and something about her childhood, but she was taken care of by her step father even when he mother couldn't or wouldn't, and I didn't hear much about problems in her childhood other than trouble with her mom's third husband, but she lived with her step father then, so I don't understand her issue?! I am glad they got their HEA though, and I loved the extras that were from Christian's POV. I'd give books 2 & 3 2.5 stars and the first book 3 stars. ( )
  DreZ | Jan 15, 2015 |
Para mi Mama con todo mi amor y gratitud
And for my beloved Father,
Daddy I miss you every day
Mommy! Mommy! Mommy is asleep on the floor.
For all our firsts on your first birthday as my beloved life.
I love you
C x
*WOULD YOU LIKE MRS. LINCOLN TO JOIN US
WHEN WE EVENTUALLY DISCUSS THIS TEXT SHE
SENT YOU? IT WILL SAVE YOU RUNNING TO
HER AFTERWARD, YOU WIFE*

When unworldly student Anastasia Stelle first encountered the driven and dazzling young entrepreneur Christian Grey it sparked a sensual affair that changed both of their lives irrevocably. Shocked, intrigued, and, ultimately repelled by Christian's singular erotic tastes, Ana demand a deeper commitment. Determined to keep her, Christian agrees.

Now, Ana and Christian have it all - love, passion, intimacy, wealth, and a world of possibilities for their future. but Ana knows that loving her Fifty Shades will not be easy, and that being together will pose challenges that neither of them would anticipate. Ana must somehow learn to share Christian's opulent lifestyle without sacrificing her own identity. And Christian must overcome his compulsion to control as he wrestles with the demons of a tormented past.

Just when it seems that their strength together will eclipse any obstacle, misfortune, malice and fate conspire to make Ana's deepest fears turn to reality.

When unworldly student Ana Steele first encountered the driven, damaged young entrepreneur Christian Grey, it sparked a sensual affair that changed both their lives irrevocably. Shocked, intrigued, and ultimately repelled by Christian's singular sexual tastes, Ana demanded a deeper commitment; determined to keep her, Christian agreed. Now, together, they have more--love, passion, intimacy, wealth, and a world of infinite possibilities. But Ana always knew that loving her Fifty Shades would not be easy and being together poses challenges neither of them ever anticipated.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades Trilogy #3) by E. L. James was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,215,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible