Miss Violet and the Great War: A Strangely…

Miss Violet and the Great War: A Strangely Beautiful Novel (edition 2019)

by Leanna Renee Hieber (Author)

611,817,881 (4)None
Member:ladycato
Title:Miss Violet and the Great War: A Strangely Beautiful Novel
Authors:Leanna Renee Hieber (Author)
Info:Tor Books (2019), 320 pages
Tags:read in 2019, historical fiction, historical fantasy, netgalley

Miss Violet & the Great War (Strangely Beautiful) by Leanna Renee Hieber

I received this book through NetGalley.

Hauntingly hopeful, Miss Violet & the Great War explores the tragedy of the first World War with poetic grace. I found this not to be a book to blaze through in one sitting, but one to savor and appreciate in little bites. That's not to say it's a slow read, either. This is a book that felt like immersing myself into a cozily hot bath.

I've read one of the related books in Hieber's world, The Eterna Files, and that was a few years ago now. I jumped into this fourth book in the current series and had no problem following along, and I immediately loved a number of characters. While The Eterna Files seemed to be more of a supernatural mystery to me, Miss Violet & the Great War comes across as more like a spiritual gothic in the very mode of early 20th century novels.

Though the book is about the horrific aspects of war, Hieber's main focus is on the goodness and creativity of humanity. I'm rather left in awe by the grace of how she handled that. Miss Violet grows up haunted by visions of the War to come throughout her childhood, and prepares herself with intelligence and practicality; so many books are plagued by impulsive protagonists, and it's refreshing to encounter one with such thoughtfulness and diligence. The latter half of the book is in the War itself, with battles of physical and spiritual natures.

I highly recommend this to readers interested in the Great War and historical fiction with a fantastical bent. ( )
  ladycato | Jan 8, 2019 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 142851788X, Paperback)

The fourth book in Leanna Renee Hieber's award-winning Strangely Beautiful series focuses on Violet Rychman and William Page, balanced precariously between the fate of their families and the fates of their respective prophecies. Guided by the Muses, our beloved Guard rouse to tie up their very last loose ends, fight the violent death throes of an impossible foe, and perform one last service as the ultimate mediators between life and death, all against the most frightening backdrop of all: a world war.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:04 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,602,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible