Wake (Watersong Novels) by Amanda Hocking

Wake (Watersong Novels) (edition 2012)

by Amanda Hocking

Member:titania86
Title:Wake (Watersong Novels)
Authors:Amanda Hocking
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Read :), Reviewed, ARC, Amazon Vine, Unworthy of owning/given away
Rating:***
Tags:teen, siren, fantasy

Wake (Watersong) by Amanda Hocking

Background: Gemma is a normal girl, except that she is obsessed with swimming, but how else is she going to make it to the Olympics? This summer Gemma is thrown a loop when three girls appear in her small town, making her and others uncomfortable. They invite Gemma to hang out with then and she begins to uncover their darkest secrets.

Review: I really enjoyed this book, it was an easy Audiobook to listen to and it was great to listen to now because it is summer and I have been watching some of the Olympic swimming. So everything just kind of fell into place.
I was surprised at how well Hocking pulled me in, I was immediately drawn to both Gemma and her sister Harper, even though they are two completely different types of people. The suspense was masterful! I had some idea of what was happening and then I was completely thrown off guard by details.

At first I thought I was reading another love story with supernaturals in it, but in reality this was so different, yes there is a love story and yes there are supernaturals, BUT this was far closer to a horror movie than a frilly, make you swoon supernatural love tale....

The characters are great. Harper, Gemma's sister, is the protector. Gemma is the fearless jock, and Penn, Lexi, and Thea are hot and just plain creepy. It was a good mix to have.

I think that if you like focus on the supernatural in a creepy way, this is for you. If you are looking for a love tale, there is a little of that but...not really. Either way, great summer read. ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
Gemma has confidence and a love for the water. When boys begin going missing, Gemma's sister, Harper, forbids her to go on her nightly swims in the bay.

The family dynamic stands out in this book. Harper has practically raised Gemma since their mother's accident. Both girls live with their father. He's not very present, unless something happens. He's guarded with this feelings, and you never really know how he is coping. The sisters are pretty close, and I admire their relationship.

The creepy girls in town annoyed the hell out me, but also freaked me out. They are almost stalker-ish. They are used to getting what they want, and Gemma proves to be difficult for them.

Daniel and Alex are the dominant male characters. Alex is worried about the sudden change in Gemma's character. Daniel keeps bugging Harper for a date. These are loyal guys and willing to do what they can to help the girls. Although, I wonder about Daniel's past and why he can resist the call.
All in all, I did like this book, and will be picking up Lullaby. It's a great spin on mermaids. They aren't content all the time. They are deadly, and monsters. The only question left is, what will happen to Gemma? ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Fall under the spell ofWakeâe"the first book in an achingly beautiful new series by celebrated author Amanda Hockingâe"and lose yourself to theWatersong.
Gorgeous. Fearless. Dangerous. They're the kind of girls you envy; the kind of girls you want to hate. Strangers in town for the summer, Penn, Lexi and Thea have caught everyone's attentionâe"but it's Gemma who's attracted theirs. She's the one they've chosen to be part of their group.
Gemma seems to have it allâe"she's carefree, pretty, and falling in love with Alex, the boy next door. He's always been just a friend, but this summer they've taken their relationship to the next level, and now there's no going back. Then one night, Gemma's ordinary life changes forever. She's taking a late night swim under the stars when she finds Penn, Lexi and Thea partying on the cove. They invite her to join them, and the next morning she wakes up on the beach feeling groggy and sick, knowing something is different.
Suddenly Gemma is stronger, faster, and more beautiful than ever. But her new powers come with a terrifying price. And as she uncovers the truth, she's is forced to choose between staying with those she lovesâe"or entering a new world brimming with dark hungers and unimaginable secrets.
  lkmuir | Nov 30, 2015 |
I listened to almost a third of this and gave up. The mysterious girls/sirens were predictably menacing, but the plot meandered too much for me. I couldn't see a clear need or conflict that made me care. ( )
  readerspeak | Sep 25, 2015 |
No-recomendado por
ᴍɪᴄs *ᴀᴍᴀɴᴛᴇ ᴅᴇ ʟᴏs sᴘᴏɪʟᴇʀs*

Me propongo leer de principio a fin libros considerados "malos". Mi intención es encontrar al menos UNA cualidad buena en ellos y reseñarlos objetivamente siguiendo 20 puntos a desarrollar brevemente. (Los puntos varían según el género del que se trate.)

Si tienen ganas de No-recomendarme otros libros
pueden comentar acá o ACÁ. ¡Cualquier género es bienvenido! Cuanto más variado, mejor :)
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |

In the quiet seaside town of Capri, sixteen-year-old Gemma enjoys a close bond with her sister Harper and a growing attraction to next-door neighbor with Alex, but everything changes when, after partying with newcomers Penn, Lexi, and Thea, Gemma discovers she has powers that will force a terrible choice.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,250,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible