Wake (Watersong Novels) by Amanda Hocking

Wake (Watersong Novels) (edition 2012)

by Amanda Hocking

254None46,402 (3.49)5
Member:titania86
Title:Wake (Watersong Novels)
Authors:Amanda Hocking
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Read :), Reviewed, ARC, Amazon Vine, Unworthy of owning/given away
Rating:***
Tags:teen, siren, fantasy

Wake by Amanda Hocking

For fans of Amanda Hocking's Trylle series, you might find Wake a little lacking of the magical charm she set in her other books, but Wake was still a tremendously wonderful read. In fact, right after I read it, I bought the second book, Lullaby, and read it that same day.

In the goodreads description, all you hear about is Gemma, Gemma, Gemma, when, in actuality, Wake is about Gemma AND her sister, Harper. They are both the stars of this book. I was a fan of Harper (maybe because she reminds me of myself) rather than Gemma. Also, I am head-over-heels for her love interest Daniel (especially after Lullaby). Harper is responsible, kind, loving, and smart. When their Mother became unstable after a traumatic car crash, Harper became the head of the family, looking after her dad and sister.

Just because I liked Harper better doesn't mean I didn't like Gemma. Gemma is also a wonderful character. She is brave and loyal and loves her family. Gemma goes out for night swims in the ocean, trains hard in the pool, and hopes to go to the olympics. She wants to avoid the creepy group of girls at all cost. Especially since the teenage boy disappearances could be linked to Penn and her crew. Alex, Gemma's neighbor is a good character, but wasn't as interesting as Daniel. But at least he seemed real, unlike some characters in books. Amanda Hocking is truly good at making her characters come alive.

The town Harper and Gemma live in is well developed. We see a lot of it and it's people. Harper works at the library with her friend, Gemma swims at the pool, Daniel lives on a boat at the dock and their Dad works near there, across the street from the library is Pearl's diner where Harper and Daniel eat lunch, Briar Ridge, the group home their mother stays at, and the bay where Gemma takes her night swims. I feel right at home in the town in Wake.

Wake was a tad slow. "Then one night, Gemma’s ordinary life changes forever. She’s taking a late night swim under the stars when she finds Penn, Lexi and Thea partying on the cove. They invite her to join them, and the next morning she wakes up on the beach feeling groggy and sick, knowing something is different - Goodreads" This scene happens when we are already halfway done with the book!

The book is well written and funny! Here is one of my favorite excerpts:

“I didn’t actually mean for you to keep apologizing. I know it was an accident.”
“I know, but…” She shook her head. “I didn’t even properly thank you for helping out my sister, and then I attacked you with your own ice cream.”
“That’s true. You are a menace and must be stopped.”
“I know you’re teasing, but I feel bad.”
“No, I’m dead serious. I should report you for your abhorrent behavior,” Daniel said with a straight face, telling her the same thing she’d told him the day before.
“Now you’re making me feel worse.” Harper looked down at her shoes and balled up the wet napkins in her hands.
“That’s my plan,” Daniel said. “I like to guilt pretty girls into going out with me.”
“Smooth.” Harper narrowed her eyes at him, unsure if he was kidding or not.
“That’s what the ladies tell me.” He grinned at her, and his hazel eyes had a gleam to them.”

He is kinda aggravating, huh? I, like Harper, didn't like him at all until that scene. But after that... well... *swoon*

Well, I really thought Wake was wonderful. Not as wonderful as the Trylle series but still wonderful. Next I am going to read her Vampire series.(My blood approves)

4/5 stars
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
Gemma Fisher gets a rude "awakening" in this tale of cursed Sirens who need a new pod mate. It is a touch melodramatic, but given the content matter, that's a given. The characters are real, if not as fully developed as I'd like. My favorite character is the seaside bum, Daniel. I look forward to getting to know him better in Lullaby. ( )
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |
This is pretty much the typical YA paranormal story. It's kind of like that 90s movie "The Craft" meets "The Little Mermaid." Overall, very mediocre story and writing and the characters were all dumb as posts. No interest at all in reading the other three in this series. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
Absolutely loved this book! The author's writing skills have come a long way from where they were with her first novel, Switched. The characters are developed fully, the storyline held my interest from the very first page and there was just enough creepiness to make it chilling. A few parts were too gross for my tastes and I could of lived without those parts. Overall a great read. ( )
  CozyLover | Nov 10, 2013 |
This is the first book in Hocking's Watersong series, and it's mostly about a girl called Gemma. She's a brilliant swimmer and local beauty (the natural lovely kind, not a primped and preened prima donna) who loves nothing more than taking off for nighttime swims in the bay, marvelling at the stars and basking in the ocean waves. Of late she has found her moonlit peace disturbed by the town's newest residents: three hypnotically stunning young women who take to the deserted beach at night to sing and dance by firelight. Found dishevelled and alone on the sand one morning, Gemma knows only that she was invited to join Penn, Lexie and Thea on the beach the previous night, and something is now different. Who are the girls? How will all this affect her growing relationship with the boy next door? Meanwhile, her older sister Harper is battling a local beach bum while trying to keep one eye on Gemma's safety, and the community is rocked as several local boys disappear without a trace...

As you may have guessed by now, this is a novel about sirens, which is one of the things that attracted me to it in the first place. I really enjoyed the siren mythology, explained to Gemma by the girls during another night by the fire on the beach, and the way the less savoury elements of their story are gradually revealed, much to Gemma's horror. The siren plot made a nice change from the usual 'paranormal trinity' of vampires, angels and shifters!

The characters aren't massively fleshed out - the focus is more on the plot and mythology, at least in this first book - but I very much liked Daniel, Harper's dockside nemesis, who lives on his boat and delights in teasing her at every opportunity. The relationship between Harper and Gemma was quite realistic, and convincing enough to have me welling up at least once as Harper blindly fought to help her sister. I found the description quite repetitive at times (it's very obvious that something's amiss from the first appearance of the sirens) but seeing the various elements of their mythology coming together kept me turning the pages. After some of the recent novels I've read, one thing I DID appreciate was the fact that it was refreshingly typo-free, although I did spot a stray 'who's' instead of 'whose' at one point, which is a silly mistake.

All in all it was a good fluffy YA read, perfect for summer reading at the beach or by the pool. It felt right to be reading it on holiday, by water, stopping for the occasional dip every now and again! The end of the novel paved the way nicely for the (presumably more brutal) books to come, and since I got home I've already bought the three remaining Watersong novels: Lullaby, Tidal and Elegy. I want to delve deeper into the sirens' mythological history, find out what's next for Gemma, and see how Harper fares trying to rescue her sister from the sirens' clutches... ( )
  elliepotten | Nov 4, 2013 |

In the quiet seaside town of Capri, sixteen-year-old Gemma enjoys a close bond with her sister Harper and a growing attraction to next-door neighbor with Alex, but everything changes when, after partying with newcomers Penn, Lexi, and Thea, Gemma discovers she has powers that will force a terrible choice.… (more)

105 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,456,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible