Wake (Watersong Novels) by Amanda Hocking

Wake (Watersong Novels) (edition 2012)

by Amanda Hocking

Member:titania86
Title:Wake (Watersong Novels)
Authors:Amanda Hocking
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Read :), Reviewed, ARC, Amazon Vine, Unworthy of owning/given away
Rating:***
Tags:teen, siren, fantasy

Wake (Watersong) by Amanda Hocking

Gemma has confidence and a love for the water. When boys begin going missing, Gemma's sister, Harper, forbids her to go on her nightly swims in the bay.

The family dynamic stands out in this book. Harper has practically raised Gemma since their mother's accident. Both girls live with their father. He's not very present, unless something happens. He's guarded with this feelings, and you never really know how he is coping. The sisters are pretty close, and I admire their relationship.

The creepy girls in town annoyed the hell out me, but also freaked me out. They are almost stalker-ish. They are used to getting what they want, and Gemma proves to be difficult for them.

Daniel and Alex are the dominant male characters. Alex is worried about the sudden change in Gemma's character. Daniel keeps bugging Harper for a date. These are loyal guys and willing to do what they can to help the girls. Although, I wonder about Daniel's past and why he can resist the call.
All in all, I did like this book, and will be picking up Lullaby. It's a great spin on mermaids. They aren't content all the time. They are deadly, and monsters. The only question left is, what will happen to Gemma? ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Fall under the spell ofWakeâe"the first book in an achingly beautiful new series by celebrated author Amanda Hockingâe"and lose yourself to theWatersong.
Gorgeous. Fearless. Dangerous. They're the kind of girls you envy; the kind of girls you want to hate. Strangers in town for the summer, Penn, Lexi and Thea have caught everyone's attentionâe"but it's Gemma who's attracted theirs. She's the one they've chosen to be part of their group.
Gemma seems to have it allâe"she's carefree, pretty, and falling in love with Alex, the boy next door. He's always been just a friend, but this summer they've taken their relationship to the next level, and now there's no going back. Then one night, Gemma's ordinary life changes forever. She's taking a late night swim under the stars when she finds Penn, Lexi and Thea partying on the cove. They invite her to join them, and the next morning she wakes up on the beach feeling groggy and sick, knowing something is different.
Suddenly Gemma is stronger, faster, and more beautiful than ever. But her new powers come with a terrifying price. And as she uncovers the truth, she's is forced to choose between staying with those she lovesâe"or entering a new world brimming with dark hungers and unimaginable secrets.
  lkmuir | Nov 30, 2015 |
I listened to almost a third of this and gave up. The mysterious girls/sirens were predictably menacing, but the plot meandered too much for me. I couldn't see a clear need or conflict that made me care. ( )
  readerspeak | Sep 25, 2015 |
No-recomendado por
ᴍɪᴄs *ᴀᴍᴀɴᴛᴇ ᴅᴇ ʟᴏs sᴘᴏɪʟᴇʀs*

Me propongo leer de principio a fin libros considerados "malos". Mi intención es encontrar al menos UNA cualidad buena en ellos y reseñarlos objetivamente siguiendo 20 puntos a desarrollar brevemente. (Los puntos varían según el género del que se trate.)

Si tienen ganas de No-recomendarme otros libros
pueden comentar acá o ACÁ. ¡Cualquier género es bienvenido! Cuanto más variado, mejor :)
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Oh my gosh, I am not even sure where to begin with this one. First of all, the cover art is absolutely amazing. I know they say you should not judge a book by it's cover, but with this one, you almost cannot help it. It is almost as if the cover has it's own siren song of sorts, and it calls out to you and you cannot ignore the amazing look and feel of the book and the pages!

I know that sounds dorky and I really try not to get all fangirl when reading and reviewing books. I try to remain objective. With this particular author, that is really hard for me because I just really love her books and I am inspired by her as an author, as well.

Wake is so completely different than anything else you have ever read. The story is gripping and when you begin to read and get into the meat of it, you will not be able to walk away. I found myself stealing time from other activities just to read a few more pages.

Wake brings us a unique, entirely original type of novel that will keep you on the edge of your seat and almost gasping for breath at the turns and twists the story takes.

What seems like a simple small bay town holds a very deep, dark secret and no one could have seen it coming, especially not Gemma. But when she gets sucked into the mysterious world she never knew existed, you will find your heart pounding, and your head shaking with "What the Hell just happened?"

My regular readers know I always comment on the editing. I found exactly 2 little tiny errors in this one, omitted little connector words. Even for a traditionally published work, I usually find more than that, so Kudos to Ms. Hocking and whoever her editor is at St. Martin's!

In short, if you have not yet read this book, you need to. If you are a fan of young adult fantasy novels, mythology, strange tales, this is the book for you. Fair warning, though, if you are on the sensitive side, there are a few instances of swear words, so be prepared for that!

In summary, I love this book, and think you will, too. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

In the quiet seaside town of Capri, sixteen-year-old Gemma enjoys a close bond with her sister Harper and a growing attraction to next-door neighbor with Alex, but everything changes when, after partying with newcomers Penn, Lexi, and Thea, Gemma discovers she has powers that will force a terrible choice.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,871,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible