Wake (Watersong Novels) by Amanda Hocking

Wake (Watersong Novels) (edition 2012)

by Amanda Hocking

Member:titania86
Title:Wake (Watersong Novels)
Authors:Amanda Hocking
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Read :), Reviewed, ARC, Amazon Vine, Unworthy of owning/given away
Rating:***
Tags:teen, siren, fantasy

Wake (Watersong) by Amanda Hocking

Originally Published On My Review Blog http://www.thebookavid.blogspot.com

In "Wake" by Amanda Hocking, Gemma gets involved with three creepy girls that are obviously up to something. Little does she know they're supernatural creatures. Also murderers.

I love mermaids. I just do, always have, always will. Naturally, when I spied this in a sale, I had to go get it. Sadly though, it wasn't my cup of tea at all. I've never read anything by Hocking before and it's fair to say that I'm probably not going to give her a second try.

"Wake" takes place in the town of Capri, a village by the sea that never has anything interesting going on. There are sailors and people hang out in the park a lot. A typical YA setting. The main character Gemma is obsessed with swimming and is currently training for the Olympics when they notice that three strange new girls are creeping around town. I mean, if everybody is suddenly obsessed with new strangers coming to town, it's pretty fair to say it's your typical boring small town gossip-y annoying neighbours setting. Penn, Thea and Lexi are beautiful to no ends and of course with Gemma, who is also extremely beautiful, they instantly need to make friends. Well, not really.

The plot is probably the biggest problem I had with "Wake". Hocking managed to make the topic of mermaids so boring and uninteresting that even I, as a complete nut for that topic skimmed the last 30 pages. I did finish, but to what price. It's a fairly thin novel so it's even worse to say that. The novel heavily builds on Gemma's relationship with Harper, her older sister. They're constantly involved in each other's crap and because Harper is such a boring character, I had a very hard time getting through her parts. They both get involved with boys throughout the novel and their relationships to them have neither chemistry nor are portrayed realistically. Gemma actually had fallen in love with the boy before the events in the novel, which just makes it even harder for the reader to understand why and what she is feeling. (Characters 1/5)

Most of the time I was secondhand embarassed for the stupid conversations they have. Talk about secondhand embarassment - her mom that lives in a group home after a brain injury going on and on about Justin Bieber was even worse. I just - there's not even a single character that I cared about. Penn, Thea and Lexi, the mermaids, are a bunch of crappy Mary Sues that I don't even want to read about. They just appear whenever it's convenient leading to pages and pages of information dump when Hocking got bored writing about Gemma and love interest Alex. The lazy way she incorporated mythology into this just made me cringe, there's absolutely no need for that. (Plot 0/5)

It generally feels like a poorly researched, poorly planned novel and of course it's not fun to read something like that. I can not imagine how she managed to write four novels in this series. You can clearly tell that this had better be a novella than a full-length novel because there is just no foundation. No plot. Horrible characters. No chemistry. Well, at least the writing is alright. (Writing 3/5)

Rating: ★☆☆☆☆

Overall: Do I Recommend?

Duh. Of course not. ( )
  bookavid | Nov 26, 2014 |
It begins with a boring
narration and the thrilling
part just started almost in the
middle of the story.

If you're thinking that this
whole thing has to do about
mermaids. Sort of, but its not.
They call themselves 'sirens'.
Sirens are greek mythological
creatures who were once
human but cursed by a
goddess. They are shape-
shifters, they can turn into a
mermaid with those sharp
teeths, or turn into a giant
bird, and back to human
form. But what they eat?
Humans.

I have read all Rick Riordan's
greek mythology books. And
it seems that sirens are never
appeared or somehow aren't
emphasized in his works (Im
sorry because Rick's
characters have already
encountered gazillion of
monsters, so I can't
remember them all). So
WAKE caught my attention.

I somehow liked how the
story went. It was just that
there were some cliche parts
like a group of perfect hot
girls came to your place out
of nowhere. And mysterious
crimes started to happen. And
if I were just a little girl
maybe I could appreciate the
love teams between Gemma
and Alex, and Harper and
Daniel. It was not that
appealing. I just didn't find it
romantic at all.

This was not that bad.
Just that it didn't excite my interest. But it still a good book. ( )
  Perco | Oct 11, 2014 |
2.5 stars. It was OK but I found myself getting bored in parts. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Oh my, this book was amazing! I have a review on Booknerd777.BlogSpot.com. If you can, can you please check out my blog? I appreciate it. ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |

In the quiet seaside town of Capri, sixteen-year-old Gemma enjoys a close bond with her sister Harper and a growing attraction to next-door neighbor with Alex, but everything changes when, after partying with newcomers Penn, Lexi, and Thea, Gemma discovers she has powers that will force a terrible choice.… (more)

105 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,363,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible