The Goddess Hunt (Goddess Test) by Aimee…

The Goddess Hunt (Goddess Test) (edition 2012)

by Aimee Carter

Member:cloudynight
Title:The Goddess Hunt (Goddess Test)
Authors:Aimee Carter
Info:Harlequin Teen (2012), Kindle Edition, 71 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Goddess Hunt by Aimée Carter

If you read The Goddess Test you will want to read The Goddess Hunt before launching into Goddess Interuppted. Fun story where Kate tries to undo one of Walter's (Zeus) more horrible punishments. ( )
  Bookaliciouspam | Sep 20, 2013 |
A strong short story set between books 1 and 2. Definitely for fans of the series but not necessary for understanding the other books. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Mar 3, 2013 |
A cute novella giving us a glimpse into how Kate spent her summer away from Henry and the Underworld and showing us another side to the goody-two-shoes Gods and Goddesses we saw in The Goddess Test. Kate still has a lot to learn, but I think she gets a good taste of what her life will be like as Queen as the Underworld in this story.

Although the shortness of this story minimised my exposure to Kate, I still found her a little annoying. This is a girl who has been thrust into the world of Greek mythology, and she’s somehow convinced herself that the Greek immortals must be ‘good’ even though they have proved time and time again in mythology – their history – that are anything but. She also expects them to display human compassion and empathy, which I consider a bit stupid because we are talking about being who have never been mortal, and over all the millennia they have existed, have been moved to help humans a handful of times. But nope, Kate wants them to act like humans, give people chances and generally be nice. Although she does represent a new perspective on the Council, but I still think she should really think about what she’s expecting from her colleagues. What annoyed me even more was Henry’s compliance with her simpering demands, but then, he’s a husband trying to keep his strange marriage together for all of eternity.

I loved the twins, finally some interesting characters appear from Greek myth! I love that they couldn’t keep their shirt on (but I found Kate’s ogling a bit annoying – she is married now!!). I think I enjoyed Castor a little bit more than Pollux, only because he seemed more stable than his twin. I’m now even more firm in my assertion that James is bad news – I really hate that he keeps hitting on a married woman! (Yes I am harping on about the marriage a lot, but for me marriage means something, and Kate shouldn’t be ogling other men, and James shouldn’t be hitting on her, because no matter how young Kate is, she agreed knowingly to marry Henry and now I believe she, and everyone else, needs to honour that).

You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic. ( )
  alcarinqa | Jul 24, 2012 |
I have had luck with the last two short stories I have read. "Home" by Stacia Kane was a wonderful and complete addition to her Downside series and now "The Goddess Hunt" is another winner! I find it a rare treat when authors provide a fully complete short story to their existing series. So often these shorts feel more like fillers and aren't worth the purchase price. "The Goddess Hunt" was more than worth a couple of dollars to read and enjoy. I read it straight away after finishing "The Goddess Test". Kate is off on a trip to Greece with James since its now her six months to do whatever she wants away from Hades and the Underworld. But the Gods are apparently going to always be a part of her life from here on.

This time James appears to have a motive to the Greece trip. He is searching for the Gemini twins Pollax and Castor. The brothers love each other but the Gods (Zeus) has them separated forevermore...at least until they ran away centuries ago. But Zeus is hot on their trail and wants them back...separated once more. But Kate is a good girl and this breaks her heart. And while she may not be meant to see Henry, he is still around and trying to help her. It was really good to see more of James, Henry, Kate and Zeus. Kate learns a rough lesson: the Gods can be unfair. Is this really the life that she wants for her eternity? "The Goodess Hunt" adds to the series. It was a complete story with a final resolution. I was entertained. That is what I ask for in a short story or novella. If you enjoyed "The Goddess Hunt" I am sure you will find this one well worth purchasing. ( )
  pacey1927 | May 13, 2012 |
Because this was a very short and sweet read, I’ll try and write my review in the same manor. While I don’t believe you necessarily need to read Goddess Hunt before delving into book 2 in the Goddess Test series, this quick read is fun and a great tide over while you wait for Goddess Interrupted!

Goddess Hunt begins and we find Kate traveling with James (Hermes) to Greece for a vacation during her six months off from Eden Manor… and Henry. While Kate thinks this will be a normal vacation with site seeing and tanning, she quickly finds herself in the middle of a millennia old struggle between the Gods. Pollux (Lux) has just rescued his brother Castor (Casey) from the Underworld. Now, both boys are on the run from the council of the Gods who are hell-bent on capturing them. Kate and James find the boys in the woods near Athens and Kate finds that the Gods that she has idolized may not be as good as she had once thought. She fights her way into the family struggle to help save the brotherly bond that Lux and Casey have for one another and just might damage her relationship with Henry in the process.

This book took me just short of an hour to finish and I was pleasantly surprised. I have to say I didn’t have very high expectations for the novella because I thought of it as a marketing plot to build hype for book 2 to come out. While this may have been the case, I loved reading this story. Once again we are treated to Carter’s wonderful writing and her sarcastic wit. I definitely can’t wait to read more of her work.

One of my favorite parts of the story was reading from Henry’s point of view. You were able to see his internal struggle with upholding the laws he has spent all of eternity upholding and his need to protect Kate and keep her happy. Her determination to make things right and his love for her will definitely turn out to cause some rifts within the council in later books. Kate brings a fresh take to the situations that the council must rule over and I think all of the Gods are a little apprehensive about what changes Kate’s presence will bring about in their rule.

Over all I really did enjoy this novella and it was a great way to hold me over until Goddess Interrupted is released and has made me even more excited!

8 out of 10 ( )
  Abibliophobic1 | Mar 26, 2012 |

A vacation in Greece sounds like the perfect way for Kate Winters to spend her first sabbatical away from the Underworld ... until she gets caught up in an immortal feud going back millennia. Castor and Pollux have been on the run from Zeus and Hades's wrath for centuries, hiding from the gods who hunt them. The last person they trust is Kate, the new Queen of the Underworld. Nevertheless, she is determined to help their cause. But when it comes to dealing with immortals, Kate still has a lot to learn.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,565,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible