Catching the Big Fish: Meditation,…

Catching the Big Fish: Meditation, Consciousness, and Creativity

by David Lynch

English (18)  Italian (3)  Finnish (1)  All languages (22)
1797 miner McAsh ( )
  t29 | Feb 12, 2018 |
There's an awful lot of quantum nonsense in this book, but if you can get past that, it's my very favorite kind of creativity book: an artist telling specific stories about their own life and experience doing the work, which somehow manages to convey more universal ideas at the same time. I'm intrigued.

I also think that David Lynch doesn't understand people very well. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Sep 7, 2016 |
Is he nuts? Is he a genius? If only the issue were so simple. Somehow I doubt that any other film director has given his fans a more tantalizing, and occasionally infuriating, glimpse into his creative process and idiosyncrasies as Lynch does in this book. As with any other cultural artifact he produces, here Lynch leaves us with many more mysteries than he clears up--but what a read! - Adam
  stephencrowe | Nov 11, 2015 |
This book was a bit weird and not at all what I was expecting. I was expecting it to be more of a treatise on using meditation in your creative practice, but it didn't go deep enough into the subject to be of practical use. It was interesting as a read for understanding Lynch and his creative process, and learning a bit about his work. And learning that he's been big into Transcendental Meditation for a number of decades. So into it that the book read as something of a sales pamphlet for the practice and his foundation. ( )
  monamie | Mar 21, 2015 |
As a fan of David Lynch's films, I thought it would be interesting to peer into his mind a little bit. I really liked when he discussed his films or his thought processes except for the meditation parts. I expected this book to deal with his transcendental meditation, so I wasn't offput by it, but I still kind of grazed over those sections in favor of stuff that dealt with who he was as a director or an artist. I wouldn't let a lack of interest in the meditation part of the book keep you from reading this. There is some interesting stuff about Lynch that can be learned by sifting through this book. ( )
  Borrows-N-Wants | Jan 25, 2015 |

Filmmaker David Lynch provides a window into his methods as an artist, his personal methods of capturing and working with ideas, and the immense creative benefits he has experienced from the practice of meditation.--From publisher description.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,035,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible