Standing in the Light: The Captive Diary of…
Member:dixie_darlin
Title:Standing in the Light: The Captive Diary of Catharine Carey Logan, Delaware Valley, Pennsylvania, 1763
Authors:Mary Pope Osborne
Info:Scholastic Inc. (1998), Hardcover, 186 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Dear America

Standing in the Light : the Captive Diary of Catharine Carey Logan by Mary Pope Osborne

"...The beginning was a little slow and kind of typical coming-of-age tween angst sort of stuff, with the whole "hey there's a boy I used to be very good pals with, but he's been gone a short while and look, now he's the most handsome boy around and I am confused by my feelings for him" angle. But Caty forgets about that guy pretty quickly after she and her brother get captured by the Lenape raiding party, and over the course of her time in the village, she matures quite a lot both emotionally and spiritually.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a preachy, religious-themed book. But Caty's family's Quaker beliefs factor pretty deeply into her perception of her experience, and have a lot to do with her inner turmoil regarding how she finds herself thinking and behaving.

One thing I actually really liked about Standing in the Light is that Osborne has written a book which gets the reader thinking more about seeing issues from multiple points of view, no matter how controversial. Of course, the target audience for this series is middle-graders, and I think that's a pretty key age group to try and get across the point that there is more than one side to every story, and that no matter how different someone else may be from you, their way of doing things and their way of looking at the world is equally as valid as your own. There is also a lot to be said about humility and forgiveness, which I feel are good traits to instill in kids at a young age, regardless of your belief system..."

For full review, please visit me at Here Be Bookwyrms on Blogger:
http://herebebookwyrms.blogspot.com/2013/08/standing-in-light.html ( )
  here.be.bookwyrms | Aug 19, 2013 |
I started reading the Dear America series when I was really young and I always remembered this particular book because it seemed so different from the others. The main character is a Christian who is kidnapped by Indians and forced to adapt to their way of life. I won't give away the entire story but the ending was certainly different from what I expected.
  MonicaMusik | Oct 18, 2012 |
I am personally descended from an "indian captive" (Hannah Duston) so I understand that these things don't always turn out as well as in this book, but people do need to see both sides of the story.
A fascinating look at Indian life juxtaposed against the life of an American colonist. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 5, 2012 |
This book is fascinating! Its about a girl who is a christian and indians are attacking places and she prays they dont get them but one day the indians captured only her and her brother Thomas.read the book to find out what happens and what they learn! ( )
  Superreader_GIRL12 | Sep 7, 2011 |
This is the story of a quaker girl who refects on the experiences she faced growing up in the Delaware River Valley in Pennsylvania and her capture by the Indians in 1763. The style of writing was that of a diary and connects the reader to times throughout our history. It is a great read for 4-6th graders that allows them to see what living in the past was like for different people.
  mlcraft | Feb 17, 2009 |
For my mother.
13th of Eleventh Month, 1763.

A Quaker girl's diary reflects her experiences growing up in the Delaware River Valley of Pennsylvania and her capture by Lenape Indians in 1763.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:22 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,550,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible