A New Year's Reunion: A Chinese Story…

A New Year's Reunion: A Chinese Story

by Li Qiong Yu

I liked reading this book for many reasons. One reason being that the illustrations greatly enhance the story. For example, when Maomao is watching the dragon dance from her roof, the illustration of the dragon is very bright and colorful. It adds emphasis to the dedication of the people and the celebration itself. Another reason I enjoyed reading this book is because of it broadens perspectives to its readers. For example, Maomao’s father only comes home from work to celebrate the Chinese New Year with his family. This situation was and is still very typical for foreign families. It allows us to think about how difficult it must be to be estranged from immediate family for a long while. Finally, I enjoyed this book because of the first person point of view. This story is told through Maomao. For example, “That night, I sleep very soundly. When I get up the next morning, I see Mama helping Papa pack. He is leaving today.” Telling it through her point of view makes the book flow easily and allows us to see how she felt about her father coming and leaving. The main message of this story is the importance of family and keeping up with traditions. ( )
  pparka1 | Apr 16, 2016 |
I liked the book A New Year’s Reunion: A Chinese Story for three reasons. First, I liked the language of the story. The language used throughout was descriptive and engaging. For example, “Later it’s time to make sticky rice balls. Pop, pop, pop, bang, bang, bang! We hear firecrackers outside all night.” The use of the descriptive words to portray the sounds a firecracker makes engages readers with the text. Second, I liked the plot of the story. The plot focused on tough issues such as being away from family for long periods of time. This topic is relatable as many children are able to resonate with the feeling of missing relatives that are far away. The way the author addressed this issue was in a way suitable for younger children. For example, “Papa is home. I watch him from a distance, not daring to get close. Papa comes and sweeps me up in his arms, prickling my face with his beard.” This example shows the uncertainty the child feels when first seeing her father after a long time. After the father gets a haircut, the child says, “The Papa in the mirror is getting more like Papa the way he used to be.” The author addresses the issue of the child’s feelings after not seeing her father for a long time. The time and distance impacts the characters feelings towards him, but with time she becomes familiar with him again. Lastly, I liked the illustrations. Each page had illustrations with vivid details and color portraying the Chinese New Year. For example, “We hear firecrackers outside all night. I lie between Papa and Mama and fall asleep, drowsily hearing them whispering, whispering…” The illustration following this sentence fills up two pages as it portrays the town being lit up with firecrackers and bright lights. The message of this story is that love, regardless of distance, holds a family together. ( )
  sgoshe2 | Feb 26, 2016 |
In my opinion, this book was very good for various reasons. I enjoyed the characters in the story because they were believable and realistic. The characters were different from myself, which made me read the story with a different perspective. I was not aware what happened during Chinese New Year and this story helped explain the Chinese holiday to the readers. The book pushes readers to hear the story from someone’s perspective. The point of view is first person and was another reason why I like this book. Readers can read about the main character’s thoughts and emotions throughout the story. I really felt like part of the story at a certain time and felt sad for her when a family member of hers must leave. Another reason I enjoyed this story is because of the illustrations. The pictures were absolutely beautiful and reflected the Chinese culture. The main idea of this story is that every culture has their holidays and traditions and learning about another culture’s traditions will broaden your perspective immensely. ( )
  rleary2 | Feb 22, 2016 |
A charming story about a working father's return to his family every Chinese New Year. There's a loving warmth throughout and a particularly touching illustration shows the mother turned away to wipe her face as she packs for her husband leaving again for work. But it never gets sentimental. Very nice. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
A New Year’s Reunion: A Chinese Story Contemporary Realistic Fiction
By Yu Li-Qiong, Illustrated by Zhu Cheng-Liang

“A New Year’s Reunion: A Chinese Story” by Yu-Li-Quong is a picture book about a Chinese family celebrating their New Year. The little girl’s Papa builds buildings and only comes home on the Chinese New Year. I like how that aspect of this book makes it realistic. Not all family members have the opportunity to live with their family year round. The fact that Papa comes home once a year also makes the family even closer while celebrating. The family does traditional things such as making rice balls, watching the dragon dance on Main Street, and family even builds a snowman together. I like how Qiong incorporated real Chinese New Year traditions with the moral of the story. When the family made rice balls the mother hides a coin in one of them. The little girl finds the coin in her rice ball and is told it represents good luck. However, the little girl thinks she misplaces the coin and become very upset. She eventually finds it and gives it to her Papa as good luck. I thought this is a cute story about how even though the family may not spend everyday together; they cherish every moment they can together. ( )
  LBurro2 | Oct 20, 2015 |

Maomao s dad works many miles away, but he is coming home for New Year!

Little Maomao s father works in faraway places and comes home just once a year, for Chinese New Year. At first Maomao barely recognizes him, but before long the family is happily making sticky rice balls, listening to firecrackers, and watching the dragon dance in the streets below. Papa gets a haircut, makes repairs to the house, and hides a lucky coin for Maomao to find. Which she does! But all too soon it is time for Papa to go away again. This poignant, vibrantly illustrated tale, which won the prestigious Feng Zikai Chinese Children s Picture Book Award in 2009, is sure to resonate with every child who misses relatives when they are away and shows how a family s love is strong enough to endure over time and distance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:53 -0400)

Little Maomao's father works in faraway places and comes home just once a year, for Chinese New Year. At first Maomao barely recognizes him, but before long the family is happily making sticky rice balls, listening to firecrackers, and watching the dragon dance in the streets below. Papa gets a haircut, makes repairs to the house, and hides a lucky coin for Maomao to find. Which she does! But all too soon it is time for Papa to go away again.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,134,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible