In My Skin: A Memoir by Kate Holden

In My Skin: A Memoir

by Kate Holden

English (10)  All (1)  All (11)
Very well written book about a former heroin addict and prostitute who has turned her life around. Some wonderful insights into the world of commercialized sex and its customers, and of course the ladies in this industry. ( )
  cazzoduro | Nov 3, 2016 |
This book was interesting to me because I was at primary school with the author and have had heroin addiction in my family. No disrespect to the book is intended, but all heroin addiction stories seem to me much the same. The stuff seems to take control of people, make them do anything for a 'taste'. It doesn't make people stupid (except in their judgement of how well they are concealing their habits from others) and they can still use their skills and cleverness -- to score more heroin. For me the more interesting part of the book was the author's description of the inner workings of brothels and the sex-industry in Melbourne. The book was dispassionate (maybe too much?) and quite well-written. ( )
  questbird | Jul 26, 2013 |
so sad to become a heroin addict, even a university degree didn't help, family did much later. details of the oldest profession ( )
  siri51 | Apr 7, 2013 |
Kate Holden's story of her descent into addiction and by extension, prostitution. While Kate's story is neither new nor unique but it is well told, and makes you want to follow it.My only complaints are not with the book itself but with some of the details. Holden's casualness about first trying and then continued use of heroin made it difficult to feel any compassion for her. Even more than this was towards the end of the book when she finally starts getting her act together, was the presence of her boyfriend. Every mention of this guy made my skin crawl and stomach turn with aggravation.But then again we are dealing with the story of heroin addicts here, I don't suppose we should expect strong moral characters right?

This one is certainly worth the time, check it out. ( )
  Melkor81205 | Jan 15, 2012 |
This memoir is a very brutally look into drug addiction and the path of prostitution as a form of income for the habit. Almost a 5 star for me but I was put off a little by the vulgarity. In defense of the book and the author, it really couldn't have been done differently. It just at times made me uncomfortable. ( )
  justablondemoment | Sep 28, 2011 |

This book is the story of a journey - from a loving family home to the streets of St. Kilda. From a shy, bookish life to the ambivalent glamour of an inner-city brothel. Kate Holden describes with breathtaking lyricism and poignancy her travels in an unknown world.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1920885900, 1921351071

Arcade Publishing

2 editions of this book were published by Arcade Publishing.

Editions: 1611451701, 161145798X

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,377,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible