The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden) by Julie…

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden) (edition 2013)

by Julie Kagawa

Member:mlh2
Title:The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden)
Authors:Julie Kagawa
Info:Harlequin Teen (2013), Edition: Original, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:to read and already own

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Recently added byrena75, Shadow_Sandy, Faith_Murri

AMAZING BOOK. There is no other way to say it.
not only is this a Vampire book, but it's a vampire book unlike any I have ever read before, because it is a vampire story within a dystopia. Yeah, that's awesome.
And, call me crazy, but the first major act in the book, when Allie 'died' made her character believable to me. You see, most people have these convictions and walk around preaching them and feeling so strongly about them. You probably do that. You prbably don't say you'd die for these convictions, but on the off chance that you do, what if you were actually faced with a situation, and life-or-death situation, and if you let those convictions crumble, you'd live? It's a sad thing to say, a hard thing to admit, but you know, I'd live. Allie did the same thing. faced with death, her convictions crumbled and she lived. This made her believable because we all know of those people who DIDN'T let their convictions crumble, and seem larger than life, like they're not real people. A couple examples are Socrates and Joan of Arc.
yeah, those people? Our main character, Allie, isn't one of them.
And surprisingly, it was only after becoming a vampire that she became more human, if your definition of human involves the word 'caring'. mine does.
Stick made me do this: D':
Zeke made me do this: Overall, an amazing book, and I can't wait for the next one.
Oh, and, Julie Kagawa has impressed me so much with only the first books in both her series (I have only read The Iron King and The Immortal Rules. I am going to read the other Iron Fey, but haven't gotten ahold of them from the library yet) But, I have been so impressed with those two that I've read, she now resides among MY FAVORITE AUTHORS. You'd think that wouldn't be a hard club to get in, considering how I rate books, but it's actually pretty Exclusive. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
“You are a monster.” Kanin’s deep voice droned in my head again, as I forced myself to move, to walk away. “You will always be a monster, there is no turning back from it. But what type of monster you become is entirely up to you.”

Una ventata di novità per quei poveri vampiri che da qualche anno a questa parte vengono brutalmente bistrattati.

In tutta sincerità ero partita prevenuta, innanzitutto perché avevo già letto un libro di questa autrice e non mi aveva garbato molto, ma anche perché ero scettica verso l'unione dei vampiri con il genere sci-fi. Ad ogni modo ho dovuto ricredermi, perché da questo punto di vista è stato fatto un ottimo lavoro: i vampiri hanno mantenuto per la maggior parte le loro caratteristiche tradizionali (niente sbrilluccichii strani o cose del genere) ma l'ambientazione è caratteristica della distopia e situata dopo il dilagare di un pericolosissimo virus.
Non posso certo affermare di averlo amato alle follia, ma le idee di base sono buone; inoltre il fatto stesso che Allison, la protagonista, si trovi sempre al confine tra l'essere un'umana e un demone rappresenta sicuramente un elemento positivo da aggiungersi alla visibile evoluzione psicologica del personaggio.
Lo stile è fluido e immediato, ed equilibra azioni, pensieri e descrizioni. L'amore è ovviamente presente, ma non siamo alle prese con una delle solite storielle sdolcinate da diabete, bensì con qualcosa di molto più complesso e oscuro.
Potrei quasi affermare che il vero pilastro di tutto il libro sia la fiducia, o la sua mancanza. Fiducia verso chi ha saputo prendere in mano le redini durante un momento difficile, sfiducia verso il diverso e lo sconosciuto.
  Shay17 | Mar 30, 2018 |
So, at first I was nervous. Like really nervous. Dystopia and vampires? Done and done and done until the point it almost should never be done again. It took a bit to get into it, mostly because the start is a lot of "Oh, I hate the vampires" and "However will we survive?". But then, the little group gets trapped in the ruins and its all uphill in the story from there. Or, well, downhill if you're Lucas or Rat. Stick goes missing and Allie gets attacked and then, suddenly, there is Kanin, my favorite character. The morally good, former blood traitor, mad scientist, secretive, human loving, compassionate vampire. He leads and teaches Allie best he can until they are separated, at which point I literally screamed at my Kindle. And he is the one that makes Allie who she is, teaching her that she is a monster and there is no way to change it, but that ultimately, "what type of monster you become is entirely up to you". ( )
  Jessinikkip | Mar 18, 2018 |
A dystopian book where the world has been dominated by vampires? Tell me more.

These are the real vampires. They are blood-thirsty monsters to be feared. Thank you, Julie Kagawa, for bringing us back. Vampires are one of he most overused YA subjects, and I couldn't think of anything more that could be written about them. And then The Immortal Rules came along. So much win!! One vampire, however, is a bit more human than the others. Allison has qualms about feeding off of humans, but if she doesn't at some point the Hunger will take over and she will kill someone. The opening scene in the gallows shows you what life is like for Allison, and just how powerful the vampires are. Not only are there vampires, but zombie-like creatures called rabids. Allison has lived in the Fringe and is completely capable of taking care of herself. But when she's Turned into a vampire and given training, she turns into a rabid-chopping, katana-wielding bad ass. The fight scenes were brutal and bloody, and people died. Lots of them. The Immortal Rules is definitely one of my new favorites for the year; I can't wait until the second one comes out!

"/> ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
I picked up this book last year, and thought it would be a good pick and it ended up being an awesome book! I loved the fresh storyline, and all of the fast-paced action it holds. I also liked the dark, dim, post-apocalyptic settings of vampire cities (in which the story is set), where the privileged live on the inside, and the strays live in the outskirt ruins as they fight for day-to-day survival. Not only do the characters in this story have to worry about vamps, but also the super infectious and deadly rabids.

The story paces smoothly through three different sections as we follow Allison's life before and after being turned into a vampire. Her life changes quickly, and she has to learn to adapt to fight for survival in new way, as well as face many obstacles. Allison is a fierce main protagonist who is not only learns to be an amazing katana wielder, but also a kind hearted person. And it's these two points that make Allison such a likeable character and drives the plot.
  Rlmoulde | Nov 25, 2017 |
To Nick, who will always slay vampires with me.
They hung the Unregistereds in the old warehouse district; it was a public execution, so everyone went to see.

"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city, until she too becomes an immortal vampire. Forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls, she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend -- a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,675,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible