The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules

by Julie Kagawa

You know the feeling when you can't seem to find what you're looking for in a book? And you shuffle trough your TBR, try and consider some options and novels you haven't before? For a while nothing works, everything is bland, your thirst for entertainment not quenched at all? The you pick up something new, and begin reading it with the same jaded expectancy that it will be overrated, cliché filled, it's-probably-me kind of reads.....and then that amazeballs feeling when you discover it's not. It really reminded me of Ann Aguirre's [b:Enclave (Razorland #1)|7137327|Enclave (Razorland, #1)|Ann Aguirre|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327877657s/7137327.jpg|7400809], although I must admit I liked Razorland better.

I have a lot of Julie Kagawa on my TBR, I believe I have marked her every series, but this is the very first time I have decided to take the plunge. I am happy I did. It was gripping for a YA novel. It had some darker elements that some authors usually avoid when writing YA novels as it can cause controversy. Sexual elements are a big no so that the authors aren't accused of supporting child molestation and whatnot. Trust me – I've seen it happen. A good book torn down just because the fictional paper girl wasn't eighteen when she had sex for the first time. Why shit like that happens, I haven't the slightest...but it does and it results in vanilla YA. A lot of vanilla YA. The authors are often careful when exposing their under-aged to certain forms of violence too. Nothing too nitty-gritty for the innocent girlies. Most of the time you wind up reading bland Hannah Montana bollocks, as you can't present a novel as dark anything no matter how badly you lie in the blurb. I am gretefull Julie Kagawa was not one of those people.

The Immortal Rules was a good story, although it suffered from the YA syndrome, even if it wasn't too excessive. There were parts of the book that just dragged, especially after Allie got out of the city walls. There was a lot of time wasted just walking around and soul-searching witch bored me a little. Considering the group was moving trough the dark in wild forests infested with diseased zombified vampires (Yes zombified vampires, bitches!!!), I would have expected a few brushes with death. Sometimes it seemed that the plot was developing in a too precisely set pattern, like nothing was left to chance. In a world that's filled with nightmares, I doubt things happen by appointment you know? Oh you finished with your conversation? Good time to introduce something new. Things didn't overlap much.

Still the story was a gripping one, and the emotions felt and brought to the table by Allie were the icing on the cake. Kagawa truly did a good job with self-doubt and loneliness. Allie was presented as a very human girl suffering a dark fate. I could relate to her, and I want to know what happens next, so I'll be off.

Oh and there is one last thing I need to say, one last cliché I need to address. Only in this case, you can call it an irony. How come is it that every time we have a paranormal heroine she has to as a some kind of unwritten rule carry a katana? Oh the fact that Allie is of an Asian descent and so is the author is not lost on me. In a sense, Ms. Kagawa is laying down a connection to her heritage in one way or another. Kudos to that. To everyone else.... have you ever tried to draw a sword?? Have you ever tried to draw a katana for that matter?? Do you know it's so difficult that it is considered an art form on it's own? But hey, have chick and vampires theme? Grab a katana. It works... (no it doesn't, it's predictable and boring) ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
Now THAT is how a vampire book is done, people! It was dark and gritty and gory, and I loved it!

Julie Kagawa has created an utterly creeptastic world that, I'm not going to lie, will probably give me nightmares. The vampires are scary, the rabids are scarier, and I'm really glad that I read this while the sun was up ;) ( )
  dkgarner95 | Jul 29, 2015 |
I LOVED IT. THE PACE WAS GREAT. I LOVED THAT SPIN OF ROMANCE THEY PUT IN IT. IT KEEPS YOU ONE THE EDGE OF YOUR SEAT WAITING FOR THE NEXT ONE ( )
  silverdshay123 | Jun 23, 2015 |
Allison Sekemoto lives in a future world where vampires rule and humans are kept as their cattle to provide them with food (blood) - and slaves to do any menial labor they don't wish to do. As an unregistered, Allison lives in the Fringe, not forced to scheduled bloodlettings, but also scavenging for food and struggling for safety.

With the near constant threat of being killed, being eaten by them, it's no wonder Allie hates vampires like she does. It's all she has some days.

But then she's attacked and given one final choice: die or become one of them. And she makes a decision she never thought she would. The girl who's always fought for survival isn't done yet.

Now, one of the things she's always despised, Allie must learn their rules in order to survive. The most important one of all: go too long without human blood and you'll go mad.

Allie's new life as a vampire will take her to places she never thought she'd go - places she never dreamed existed . . . now if only she can survive them and herself.

The Immortal Rules kicks off with leaps and bounds of tension and suspense and only builds on it. The tension lets up at times, but it never fully disappears, bringing readers on for quite a ride as they follow Allie on her journey. Or, at least, this phase of it.

Anyone who thinks vampire books are just trying to be another Twilight really needs to pick up The Immortal Rules. Kagawa takes us back more to how vampires need to be. Allie does still have some humanity in her but there are also really, really nasty vampires. They refer to themselves as monsters (and not in a self pitying, give-me-a-hug way, either) and do bite people and people die. They're not sparkly Twilight vamps . . . they're not even quite Buffy vamps.

The Immortal Rules takes places about sixty years after a plague has wiped out most of the humans, leaving the vampires now in charge of the majority of those that are left. Adding a sort of post apocalyptic dystopian with a vampire story was definitely unique - and having people aware of vampires (obviously) was also a new twist I liked.

Allie's story reads more like Resident Evil or a great kick-butt action movie with a female lead. She's a fantastic fighter. She's got this mission . . . all while fighting with what it means to be a vampire but not be like the ones she spent all those years growing up hating. (That the book came across that way is great actually, since the series has been optioned for a movie!)

Can't wait to see where the next book takes things - even more so after reading the first one and knowing the basis for everything!

Rating: 9/10

Other books you might like: The Saga of Larten Crepsley books by Darren Shan and Aftertime by Sophie Littlefield
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
4 ½ Stars

The Immortal Rules is the first book in the new series Blood of Eden by Julie Kagawa.

From a young age Allison “Allie” Sekemoto has hated the vampires that govern her city, New Covington. The vampires also protect them from the mindless zombie like creatures (Rabids) that live outside the walls of the city in exchange from blood. They also provide for food for those registered.
Living as an unregistered is an everyday struggle, but Allie prefers to be a scavenger than blood cattle for the bloodsuckers. She has created a family of her own with three other young unregistered like her. They watch out for each other and do whatever is necessary to survive. But after a rabid attack Allie is on the brink of death, even worse, she will become a rabid herself. A vampire that witnessed the attack gives her an option, he could end her pain and promise she will not become a rabid or he could make her a vampire. Facing her only options, die as a human or become a vampire. Allie chooses life, becoming one of the being she has hated all her life, a vampire.
After awakening as a vampire, Kanin her maker/sire takes the time to teach her everything she needs to know to survive; but her training comes short when they are forced to part different ways. With no other option that leave New Covington behind Allie starts her new life and her daily struggle not to become one of the monsters she despised.

If you are a follower of this blog or known me a little bit you should know I’m a big fan of Mrs Kagawa Iron Fey series. When I heard she was working in a new series, one that would be for more mature audiences I might have squee’d like a thirteen year old in a Justin Bieber concert. If I’m being honest I was expecting The Immortal Rules to be an adult book, I don’t know where I got the idea from, but I didn’t thought Blood of Eden was going to be another YA series. But when our heroine said she was seventeen I knew I had it wrong. After getting out of my shock and reading The Immortal Rules with a new perspective I started to enjoy it.

The Immortal Rules is a new take on vampires, in here they govern the cities and are the ones in power, they don’t sparkle nor are sweet and caring, they are bloodsucking monsters who see humans as a food source and that’s it. Of course as everything there is the exception to the rule and here comes our newly converted heroine, Allie and if I’m being generous I will also include her sire, Kanin in this not-so-bad-vampire category.

Since the first page we see Allie’s struggle and what she have to deal with everyday to survive. We see her strength, compassion and courage. After her transformations she is still the same Allie, but now she is dealing with new inner conflicts. She is trying to hold to her humanity and not become a monster more.

Kanin is an idealistic vampire, who believes/believed in the good of people, even though he pretends not to care he cares and deeply. I thought he was going to be Allie’s romantic interest, but I was wrong again, he is just her sire. Despite not having a very big presence in the book the parts he was in made a big impact on me, I really hope to see a lot more of him in future books.

Ezekiel “Zeke” Crosse is the one that made Allie’s dead heart beat. I don’t know how else to describe Zeke but as good, he is kind, caring, self-sacrificing and all the good qualities a perfect hero should have and maybe here is where I have a bit of a problem, he was too good for me, too perfect. I prefer my heroes to have some flaws and Zeke didn’t have any.

The world building in The Immortal Rules is superb there is no other word for it. Mrs. Kagawa creates magic with her words giving life to the story. The world she created is original, vivid and despite being a dystopian world is a very realistic one. The plot is well paced and engaging. The first part of the book felt a bit slow, but is completely normal and acceptable for a first book in a series where everything is new, where the new setting, world, characters and situations need to be introduced.

Mrs. Kagawa has done it again, she did the unexpected, she took an overused subject like vampires and gave them a new and refreshing feel. If you are a fan of Mrs. Kagawa books you are going to love The Immortal Rules, same if you love your vampires to be vampires or if you love dystopian books. I’m really looking forward to read next book of this series. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
To Nick, who will always slay vampires with me.
They hung the Unregistereds in the old warehouse district; it was a public execution, so everyone went to see.

"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city, until she too becomes an immortal vampire. Forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls, she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend -- a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,091,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible