The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules

by Julie Kagawa

Read more reviews at The Beautiful World of Books!

We are vampires, Kanin had told me, on one of our last nights together. It makes no difference who we are, where we came from. Princes, Masters and rabids alike, we are monsters, cut off from humanity. [...] Will you choose to become a demon with a human face, or will you fight your demon until the end of time, knowing you will forever struggle alone?

Many years ago, I read the first book of The House of Night Series and was shocked to find that the vampire genre had deteriorated horribly since Twilight. After reading the torturing awful shit that was THN, I vowed to never, ever touch another vampire book in my life. Ever.

That is, until I stumbled upon Khanh's glowing review of [b:The Immortal Rules|10215349|The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)|Julie Kagawa|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1323357921s/10215349.jpg|15114912]. Since joining GR in 2013, I have not been disappointed by any of the books Khanh has recommended or written a great review for, so I jumped at the chance to read it.

I was not disappointed, so thank you, Khanh and [a:Julie Kagawa|2995873|Julie Kagawa|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1257816454p2/2995873.jpg] for restoring my faith in this iffy genre. Not many (and by 'not many', I mean only 5% of authors I have read) manage to pull off a book about vampires that isn't filled with Mary Sues/Gary Stues, predictable plots/outcomes and downright drippy writing. Kagawa surprised me by creating believable, likeable characters and a plot that surprised me at every twist and turn.

Kagawa combined to popular genres and came out with something beyond brilliant. Not only is it chock-a-block full of vampires, but it's also set in the future. The dystopian angle doesn't give it a sense of cliché or overuse, but it creates a brilliant setting and atmosphere that you can't help falling in love with.

The premise:

All her life, Allison has been Unregistered. Without the tattoo that gives her a number and a place, she lives on the 'Fringe' of the city, scavenging food and living in a gang that depend on each other to survive. She's tough and strong-willed and refuses to seek out the help of the vampires that now rule the city and most likely the world.

When she gets attacked by a group of rabids (monsters that seek out and tear apart their prey in the most cannibalistic fashion), a vampire gives her a choice. Either die, and remain dead, or become the demon she has learned to loathe her entire life...

The summary on its own was enough to peak my interest, but if the book is drab, boring and not to my taste, I am not one to hesitate when it comes to DNFing that shit. This, however, quickly turned into the kind of book I would happily start and finish in one sitting if it weren't for that fact that, y'know, we live in the real world and to survive we need to stuff like go outside and work and all those horrible things.

Allison:

I was bound to love our MC. First of all, because we share the same name (do you have any idea how amazing it is to read an awesome book with a kick-ass heroine that shares your first name? No? You should totally try it sometime) but also because she is the no-nonsense character a lot of us are dying to read about. She's relentless, tough as bricks and a survivor. Not the kind of survivor we see these days -- you know exactly who I'm talking about -- the ones who cry all of themselves, woe is me, and don't get anything done. Allison has a purpose, something she needs to do and is willing to sacrifice her own life and integrity to do so.

Rather than becoming this:

She became this! (minus the vampire slayer bit):

And when a sexy love interest was introduced, the book didn't become this:

Instead, it was only slightly hinting at romance and didn't make me(a long lasting hater of Instalove and all of its spawns) roll my eyes, tear my hair out, headbutt walls, etc. You get the gist.

Overall, this book has made me incredibly happy that I bought, on a whim, the second book (at a bargain, too!) and I cannot wait to sink my teeth into it.

Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
That was pretty awesome. Maybe not as awesome as [b:Angelfall|11500217|Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1)|Susan Ee|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1319887835s/11500217.jpg|16435765], but still pretty awesome. And I counted that 7 secondary characters died within this book, not to mention the people who died before the book started, and the rabids, and some vampires, and so on and so forth. Kagawa's not afraid to put her characters through hell.

And I read the synopsis for [b:The Forever Song|17883441|The Forever Song (Blood of Eden, #3)|Julie Kagawa|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1390490674s/17883441.jpg|25046312]--ZEKE DIES! I am in a state of denial right now because that cannot be possible, that cannot happen.

Just saying. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
Finally a vampire story that is set in a dystopian world. Only Julie Kagawa could make the vampires who are the true rulers, be seen both as horrible rules and human all at the same time. This is a must read for all vampire story lovers! ( )
  kissedbyink | Nov 24, 2014 |
I actually read this a couple of months ago, right before it came out...but...I am a tad behind on actually writing reviews. I know! I know! I am catching up tonight in hopes of starting to clear out my TBR piles. Anyway...the book. First, I was very happy this book was nothing like Ms. Kagawa's fairy books. I love that she had her own unique voice for this character. Most of all...I liked that the ending was a "happy for now" ending. There was enough to keep me interested for the next book but she didn't totally leave me hanging!

I also liked the face that vampires are scary again! I love the scary vamps we hide indoors for. I also liked how this world was all vampire with a few humans thrown in, instead of the all human world with a few vampires thrown in. Ms. Kagawa is ruthless in this book and I think it is an excellent thing to have in this genre.

I loved the whole Book of Eli feel of the ending as well. I can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I forced myself to finish this one. I never read a Kagawa book, and I probably won't read another one after this.

Cheesy as an 80s sitcom.

The "love interest" is boring and the only other female is a jealous harpy. She dies, isn't that convenient?

The book dragged on and on, and the ending is an epic cliffhanger. ( )
  lesindy | Nov 1, 2014 |
To Nick, who will always slay vampires with me.
They hung the Unregistereds in the old warehouse district; it was a public execution, so everyone went to see.

"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city, until she too becomes an immortal vampire. Forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls, she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend -- a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,152,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible