The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules

by Julie Kagawa

Vampires rule the world in a post-apocalyptic society in this series which features strong characters and incredible world-building. A must read for fans of the supernatural.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Apr 21, 2017 |
omg i feel in love with the fist chapter its amazing book.

i feel in love with allie. she is just like me, and kanin he has her back 24/7 i love that he is so caring and kind. his lectures are so true. jackal is mean but he is truly kind hopefully he will stay to the end

i wish that allie and zeek had more time though it was sad to see allie leave him in eden. i wish they stayed together. ( )
  torpy | Feb 22, 2017 |
The Immortal Rules is in the minority when it comes to vampires in Young Adult novels; the vampires here are scary, not overgrown emo kittens. Julie Kagawa's story is like bright sunshine on a rather dismal genre, it stands tall among some of the newer paranormal books out there, and it keeps the reader engaged without the use of a manipulative and sappy love triangle!

We are introduced to Allie at a hanging. Allie is an unregistered, a street rat living in a vampire ruled city who is under the radar, so she has to scavenger for food. Allie is good at scavenging, she knows how to take care of herself, she is a strong character and remains thus throughout the entire book. Allie also has a caring heart - even though life as an unregistered has taught her to be wary of who she trusts.

Allie lives in a post-apocalyptic world, where a virus breakout has killed most of the human population. Vampires (who never mingled in human society before) have set up cities and offered sanctuary to humans if they would register to provide blood for the Vampire masters. The humans live within the wall, under vampire protection and away from rabids. Allie hates the vampires, and as an unregistered, she must find creative ways to survive. On one such adventure, she’s faced with the choice of death or being turned and she makes a choice she never thought she would make.

The rest of the story is nothing short of spectacular.

Julie's writing style has definitely matured. We are introduced to a world with a rich political system and history but there was no time in the storytelling that it felt as though the reader was getting an info dump; everything we needed to know was seamlessly woven into the plot. The story was perfectly paced, nothing seemed to drag and I found myself swept away into the narrative.

Then, we run into a band of wandering humans and I became apprehensive.

It always seems that paranormal stories take a turn for the worse when the heroine meets the boy. So I was a little worried when we ran into the wandering humans, but, that was unnecessary. Allie stayed in character and did not become that whiny, angst-ridden character that some female protagonist seem to become when they meet the male counterpart. For this I gave Julie Kagawa a standing ovation. Well done. Applause. Also, no love triangle. Cheers!

I think that The Immortal Rules was brilliant; the characters were well developed and the conflicts were organic. I cared about what happened, even to the characters I did not like. This is hands down, Julie Kagawa's best work to date and I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.

1 vote iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
3.5 stars ( )
  Elysianfield | Nov 16, 2016 |
Really enjoyed it. Allison is a badass character. I love that she uses a katana. Cant wait to read the rest of the series. ( )
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |
To Nick, who will always slay vampires with me.
They hung the Unregistereds in the old warehouse district; it was a public execution, so everyone went to see.

"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city, until she too becomes an immortal vampire. Forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls, she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend -- a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,902,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible