The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules

by Julie Kagawa

Allison Sekemoto is an unregistered human, surviving on the fringes of society rather than be periodically drained by the vampires who rule her city. Until one night she dies and is forced to become one of the monsters she hates if she wants to survive. Fleeing from the city, she ends up with a band of humans searching through the rabid-infested wilderness for a cure that might not even exist.

I loved everything about this book. The writing, the characters, the plot… The writing felt a bit austere and matter-of-fact in a way that was just right for a survivor like Allison. Right off the bat, the author vividly shows us the world she created, letting us know what’s going on without ever pausing the story to just give us information. And wow is it a great world she’s created. Julie Kagawa is one of the only authors I’ve read other than Anne Rice who doesn’t portray being a vampire as all fun and games. They’re predators and there’s something very dark about that. She even manages to create some interesting ethical dilemmas for Allison, who faces them head on and never gets all angsty about it.

Allison is another one of my favorite parts of this book. The references to her ethnic heritage make her unique, as do her bravery, intelligence, and love of books. This book had the potential to become cliche in so many places and it never happened. No love triangle, no falling for the broody guy, no going all mushy or all jealous over the guy she likes. She even rescues her love interest far more often than he rescues her. I loved this book both for what it was and for what it wasn’t. It avoided every single thing that can make an otherwise great YA book annoying. And the protagonist, writing, plot, and world building are all amazing. Highly recommended.

This review first published on Doing Dewey. ( )
  DoingDewey | Jun 29, 2014 |
All I can say is wow!!!! This is my first Julie Kagawa read and I am already loving how she writes, The Immortal Rules was a great introduction into the world of vampire she built. Allison is a strong character and is very unbelievable in her struggle with her humanity. The beginning of the book was a slow start but give it about 100 pages to kick in and get you hook to the story. I love that the story takes time to develop Allison character from human to vampire and that there is a budding romance but it builds up slowly. Julie Kagawa didn't try to rush the romance part and I love it because it makes it more believable.

Another aspect I liked was how realistic the story was, she didn't try to sugar coat the struggle of being a vampire was and how sometimes the need for blood can consume you and turn you into a monster. Allison is at heart a good vampire but if she doesn't feed she will turn into what she fears most - a blood crazed vampire. The humans wants to believe she won't hurt them but is afraid of letting her in because it'll be like putting a mice in a cookie jar.

Other characters I really liked were Zeke, Darren, Kanin, and Caleb. Kanin is Allison sire and mentor who teaches her the ways to live as a newly transition vampire. It is very hard not to like him because even with his cold demeanor you can tell her cares a lot for Allison and wants to help her survive but at the same time face her reality --> no matter what she does, save hundreds of humans from rabid attacks she'll still be look at as a predator and feared.

So far I love this series and on to reading book 2 :D ( )
  thtlam | Jun 16, 2014 |
And Julie Kagawa delivers again! I really enjoyed this book, especially the second half. The world is awesome, the characters are interesting, the adventure is engaging and unpredictable. Sign me up for book 2! ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
I loved this book.
I recently read the Iron Fey series and decided to give this book a try when it came out but I am always a little wary of new vampire books because there seems to be a craze of ... not so great ones since Twilight came out. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this book was quite serious and actually a bit darker than I expected. I have been on a bit of a dystopia kick lately and was pleasantly surprised by this.
One thing that I really liked about this book was the romance. It was there, of course (how can you have a realistic story without some romantic aspect), but it didn't overwhelm the plot, as some books do. The characters were not overly dramatic, or obsessive, it was realistic and believable, and I could really related (as much as one can to a vampiric futuristic dystopian society) to the characters feelings.
This book honestly reminded me of a darker 'The Host' by Stephanie Meyer.
  AngelaRenea | May 12, 2014 |
I have no doubt many readers will love The Immortal Rules. It has a strong willed and stubborn heroine, as well as that touch of romance. Throw in enough bloodletting action to keep the pace moving along well and you’ve got a good read.

However, personally, I did not love The Immortal Rules, though I did enjoy it. (If I’d loved it I would have finished it in under 2 days – rather than the 13 it took me. That is a long time for me to finish a book. ) I believe this might have been mostly because I have a tendency to mull over details, and The Immortal Rules had too many things for me that conflicted.

There were some excellent ideas but I felt like all of it didn’t quite gel together perfectly for me. I had to really break it all down in a list of Pros and Cons.

Pros:
- Allie is a strong lead character, I felt she had a strong voice and inner dialogue that kept me interested in how things would turn out for her. Her attitude that makes her want to butt her head up against any authority is totally understandable and realistically done.

- Second main supporting character, Zeke, was totally a “golden boy” but if you can get past that you will probably really like him. I started to think of him as that shiny happy person you would love to hate but just can’t. He was idealistic and wanted to watch out for everyone, even complete strangers – though towards the end you see him mature a lot.

- Ruth! I hated her! Which was fabulous because I know I was supposed to hate her. Now Stick on the other hand, I hated him and that just annoyed me, because HE annoyed me. I don’t like being overly annoyed to the point where I just want to punch a character in the face. BUT!

– The fact that Kagawa was able to get me to feel so strongly about characters is definitely a GOOD thing.

- The inner struggle that Allie goes through when trying to determine what kind of “monster” she would be definitely kept me interested. She obviously doesn’t want to give into her vampire nature and you see her struggle against it throughout the story. The way she matures over the course of the book was well done.

Cons:
- Annoying character Stitch in the first part of the book. He would have been more tolerable if he was at least given ANY redeeming quality at all that would have made it worth Allie’s time at all constantly taking care of him. I have to admit I seriously hated this character and Allie’s stupid actions in regards to him. Especially what with her supposed “hardened” outlook on life.

- There were points in the book that were so contradictory. She pretty much carried Stitch’s weight the whole time they knew each other, and yet later in the book her inner monologue she tried to act as if looking out for other’s and sacrificing for them weren’t already a part of her nature. It was annoying because – it seemed like false modesty to me.

- The timeline of the plague and the rabids, and the decline of all civilization seemed completely wrong to me. It’s noted in the first chunks of the book about “6 generations” of vampires” and how all books had been burned and places of learning so that humans could be kept in the dark about their history. Also, what with the destroying of museums. So essentially hardly anyone could read. But then later in the book you learn that it’s more like 3 human generations since the outbreak of the rabidism. There is no way that all of the buildings in this post-apocalyptic America could have degraded to the state they were in, in just a mere 100 years or less. Even if the buildings were abandoned and not looked after they would not have degraded that far.

- Onto another point, beer, food stuffs, all sundry items that the traveling group of humans were scavenging for at every town they passed thru. If that much time had passed since the fall of industry and mass production these products would no longer be good. The canned goods, perhaps yes, but beer and pretzels/chips – most certainly would not.

- The romance aspect, I see why Allie starts to develop feelings but I didn’t quite see much of why Zeke would develop feelings for her. I don’t think enough of her character was put out there for Zeke to have fallen for her as he did, at least not until the latter part of the book.

Even considering my gripes I definitely still plan to read the next book when it comes out because it was a good book and I am very curious as to how things are going to play out.

Tabitha the Pabkins
  Pabkins | May 2, 2014 |
To Nick, who will always slay vampires with me.
They hung the Unregistereds in the old warehouse district; it was a public execution, so everyone went to see.

"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city, until she too becomes an immortal vampire. Forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls, she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend -- a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible