The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules

by Julie Kagawa

4 ½ Stars

The Immortal Rules is the first book in the new series Blood of Eden by Julie Kagawa.

From a young age Allison “Allie” Sekemoto has hated the vampires that govern her city, New Covington. The vampires also protect them from the mindless zombie like creatures (Rabids) that live outside the walls of the city in exchange from blood. They also provide for food for those registered.
Living as an unregistered is an everyday struggle, but Allie prefers to be a scavenger than blood cattle for the bloodsuckers. She has created a family of her own with three other young unregistered like her. They watch out for each other and do whatever is necessary to survive. But after a rabid attack Allie is on the brink of death, even worse, she will become a rabid herself. A vampire that witnessed the attack gives her an option, he could end her pain and promise she will not become a rabid or he could make her a vampire. Facing her only options, die as a human or become a vampire. Allie chooses life, becoming one of the being she has hated all her life, a vampire.
After awakening as a vampire, Kanin her maker/sire takes the time to teach her everything she needs to know to survive; but her training comes short when they are forced to part different ways. With no other option that leave New Covington behind Allie starts her new life and her daily struggle not to become one of the monsters she despised.

If you are a follower of this blog or known me a little bit you should know I’m a big fan of Mrs Kagawa Iron Fey series. When I heard she was working in a new series, one that would be for more mature audiences I might have squee’d like a thirteen year old in a Justin Bieber concert. If I’m being honest I was expecting The Immortal Rules to be an adult book, I don’t know where I got the idea from, but I didn’t thought Blood of Eden was going to be another YA series. But when our heroine said she was seventeen I knew I had it wrong. After getting out of my shock and reading The Immortal Rules with a new perspective I started to enjoy it.

The Immortal Rules is a new take on vampires, in here they govern the cities and are the ones in power, they don’t sparkle nor are sweet and caring, they are bloodsucking monsters who see humans as a food source and that’s it. Of course as everything there is the exception to the rule and here comes our newly converted heroine, Allie and if I’m being generous I will also include her sire, Kanin in this not-so-bad-vampire category.

Since the first page we see Allie’s struggle and what she have to deal with everyday to survive. We see her strength, compassion and courage. After her transformations she is still the same Allie, but now she is dealing with new inner conflicts. She is trying to hold to her humanity and not become a monster more.

Kanin is an idealistic vampire, who believes/believed in the good of people, even though he pretends not to care he cares and deeply. I thought he was going to be Allie’s romantic interest, but I was wrong again, he is just her sire. Despite not having a very big presence in the book the parts he was in made a big impact on me, I really hope to see a lot more of him in future books.

Ezekiel “Zeke” Crosse is the one that made Allie’s dead heart beat. I don’t know how else to describe Zeke but as good, he is kind, caring, self-sacrificing and all the good qualities a perfect hero should have and maybe here is where I have a bit of a problem, he was too good for me, too perfect. I prefer my heroes to have some flaws and Zeke didn’t have any.

The world building in The Immortal Rules is superb there is no other word for it. Mrs. Kagawa creates magic with her words giving life to the story. The world she created is original, vivid and despite being a dystopian world is a very realistic one. The plot is well paced and engaging. The first part of the book felt a bit slow, but is completely normal and acceptable for a first book in a series where everything is new, where the new setting, world, characters and situations need to be introduced.

Mrs. Kagawa has done it again, she did the unexpected, she took an overused subject like vampires and gave them a new and refreshing feel. If you are a fan of Mrs. Kagawa books you are going to love The Immortal Rules, same if you love your vampires to be vampires or if you love dystopian books. I’m really looking forward to read next book of this series. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
So, Imagine you could find a book that combines Twilight, Vampire Diaries, Hunger Games, and Maze Runner, all in one. Would you want to read it? I would, and I did. And that is exactly how I felt, reading this novel. It combines vampires, dystopian novels, post-apocolyptic novels, and throws them all together in a nice, neat little package that keeps you sucked in and turning the pages.

I am running the risk of being viewed as one of those reviewers who keeps giving these glowing, awesome reviews. The truth, of course, is that I think I have been incredibly lucky in my choices of books to review because I have had so few that I have completely detested. Okay, I gave Mockingjay a terrible review according to a lot of other people, but I try to be as honest as possible, always.

This was the second book by Julie Kagawa I have ever read. I had read the Lost Prince a few weeks ago, and I instantly fell in love with the author's writing style.

For this book, Allison is a character that I instantly connected with and fell in love with, and comparatively, Stick just bugged me from the very beginning. He was clingy and needy and acted like he could not stand on his own two feet, but you just knew that he was the type that would turn on anyone in the name of self-preservation.

When Allison meets up with the "searching for Eden" group, you just get this feeling that things are not going to end the way you expect, and it is hard to explain while remaining spoiler-free.

The editing was well done, and even I couldn't find anything to complain about in that department.

Something I found unique to this author is there is very little foreshadowing, so you really have no idea what is coming. This book will keep you on the edge of your seat every page. I read the whole book in less than 6 hours of reading time. It was that good. My recommendation is that, if any of the above topics interest you, you have to read this book. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
Read more reviews at The Beautiful World of Books!

We are vampires, Kanin had told me, on one of our last nights together. It makes no difference who we are, where we came from. Princes, Masters and rabids alike, we are monsters, cut off from humanity. [...] Will you choose to become a demon with a human face, or will you fight your demon until the end of time, knowing you will forever struggle alone?

Many years ago, I read the first book of The House of Night Series and was shocked to find that the vampire genre had deteriorated horribly since Twilight. After reading the torturing awful shit that was THN, I vowed to never, ever touch another vampire book in my life. Ever.

That is, until I stumbled upon Khanh's glowing review of [b:The Immortal Rules|10215349|The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)|Julie Kagawa|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1323357921s/10215349.jpg|15114912]. Since joining GR in 2013, I have not been disappointed by any of the books Khanh has recommended or written a great review for, so I jumped at the chance to read it.

I was not disappointed, so thank you, Khanh and [a:Julie Kagawa|2995873|Julie Kagawa|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1257816454p2/2995873.jpg] for restoring my faith in this iffy genre. Not many (and by 'not many', I mean only 5% of authors I have read) manage to pull off a book about vampires that isn't filled with Mary Sues/Gary Stues, predictable plots/outcomes and downright drippy writing. Kagawa surprised me by creating believable, likeable characters and a plot that surprised me at every twist and turn.

Kagawa combined to popular genres and came out with something beyond brilliant. Not only is it chock-a-block full of vampires, but it's also set in the future. The dystopian angle doesn't give it a sense of cliché or overuse, but it creates a brilliant setting and atmosphere that you can't help falling in love with.

The premise:

All her life, Allison has been Unregistered. Without the tattoo that gives her a number and a place, she lives on the 'Fringe' of the city, scavenging food and living in a gang that depend on each other to survive. She's tough and strong-willed and refuses to seek out the help of the vampires that now rule the city and most likely the world.

When she gets attacked by a group of rabids (monsters that seek out and tear apart their prey in the most cannibalistic fashion), a vampire gives her a choice. Either die, and remain dead, or become the demon she has learned to loathe her entire life...

The summary on its own was enough to peak my interest, but if the book is drab, boring and not to my taste, I am not one to hesitate when it comes to DNFing that shit. This, however, quickly turned into the kind of book I would happily start and finish in one sitting if it weren't for that fact that, y'know, we live in the real world and to survive we need to stuff like go outside and work and all those horrible things.

Allison:

I was bound to love our MC. First of all, because we share the same name (do you have any idea how amazing it is to read an awesome book with a kick-ass heroine that shares your first name? No? You should totally try it sometime) but also because she is the no-nonsense character a lot of us are dying to read about. She's relentless, tough as bricks and a survivor. Not the kind of survivor we see these days -- you know exactly who I'm talking about -- the ones who cry all of themselves, woe is me, and don't get anything done. Allison has a purpose, something she needs to do and is willing to sacrifice her own life and integrity to do so.

Rather than becoming this:

She became this! (minus the vampire slayer bit):

And when a sexy love interest was introduced, the book didn't become this:

Instead, it was only slightly hinting at romance and didn't make me(a long lasting hater of Instalove and all of its spawns) roll my eyes, tear my hair out, headbutt walls, etc. You get the gist.

Overall, this book has made me incredibly happy that I bought, on a whim, the second book (at a bargain, too!) and I cannot wait to sink my teeth into it.

Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
That was pretty awesome. Maybe not as awesome as [b:Angelfall|11500217|Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1)|Susan Ee|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1319887835s/11500217.jpg|16435765], but still pretty awesome. And I counted that 7 secondary characters died within this book, not to mention the people who died before the book started, and the rabids, and some vampires, and so on and so forth. Kagawa's not afraid to put her characters through hell.

And I read the synopsis for [b:The Forever Song|17883441|The Forever Song (Blood of Eden, #3)|Julie Kagawa|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1390490674s/17883441.jpg|25046312]--ZEKE DIES! I am in a state of denial right now because that cannot be possible, that cannot happen.

Just saying. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
To Nick, who will always slay vampires with me.
They hung the Unregistereds in the old warehouse district; it was a public execution, so everyone went to see.

"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city, until she too becomes an immortal vampire. Forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls, she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend -- a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,572,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible