The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules

by Julie Kagawa

Well, hot damn! I wasn't expecting THAT.

Let me be straight. I don't like Julie's Iron Fey series, and I wasn't expecting much from this book, however I happened to be as wrong as I was about Holly Black whose fae series are not to my taste, but whose Cassel Sharpe books I freaking adore.

This was PHENOMENAL. A brutal mix of I Am Legend and Ashes by Ilsa J.Bick with a bit of Blood Red Road. No fancy-pantsy love triangle, no absurd irrational twists of plot, very decent world-building and fantastic pace.

I feel so alive now. All my senses are on fire.

What is so so good about The Immortal Rules, it's this single-minded focus of the novel to bring to our attention one girl's struggle to stay human, and not become a monster everyone thinks she should be. That's it. Very simple and very effective.

What drives Allison first is the need to survive and help people somehow to make a difference, to make a stand against the vampires. When she becomes the exact same thing she despises, she still can't abandon her secret desire to help.

She finds this group of people on the way to a Utopian city with no vampires and goes out of her way to help them get there through the scariest and saddest moments of their terrifying journey.

Not everyone will get there, there are no miracles along the way, and nothing is PG-13 rated. You've been warned.

This book is bloodthirsty, savage and very gripping. I won't call the ending a cliffhanger per se, but it's suitably samurai-ish for Allison Sekemoto, and I can not wait to read what's next in the series.

Overall, this was a wonderful and exhilarating ride. I can find no fault in The Immortal Rules whatsoever and highly recommend it to everyone! ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I actually read this a couple of months ago, right before it came out...but...I am a tad behind on actually writing reviews. I know! I know! I am catching up tonight in hopes of starting to clear out my TBR piles. Anyway...the book. First, I was very happy this book was nothing like Ms. Kagawa's fairy books. I love that she had her own unique voice for this character. Most of all...I liked that the ending was a "happy for now" ending. There was enough to keep me interested for the next book but she didn't totally leave me hanging!

I also liked the face that vampires are scary again! I love the scary vamps we hide indoors for. I also liked how this world was all vampire with a few humans thrown in, instead of the all human world with a few vampires thrown in. Ms. Kagawa is ruthless in this book and I think it is an excellent thing to have in this genre.

I loved the whole Book of Eli feel of the ending as well. I can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
I put off reading this for a long time because I wasn't interested in entering a world where the vampires were irredeemably evil. But I finally realized that I wouldn't have bought the book if that's what it was about, so I gave it a try and was pleasantly surprised. Certainly most of the vampires are not particularly redeemable, but something drives the main character to retain her humanity, and that has me curious enough to want to read the next in the series. ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
You know the feeling when you can't seem to find what you're looking for in a book? And you shuffle trough your TBR, try and consider some options and novels you haven't before? For a while nothing works, everything is bland, your thirst for entertainment not quenched at all? The you pick up something new, and begin reading it with the same jaded expectancy that it will be overrated, cliché filled, it's-probably-me kind of reads.....and then that amazeballs feeling when you discover it's not. It really reminded me of Ann Aguirre's [b:Enclave (Razorland #1)|7137327|Enclave (Razorland, #1)|Ann Aguirre|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327877657s/7137327.jpg|7400809], although I must admit I liked Razorland better.

I have a lot of Julie Kagawa on my TBR, I believe I have marked her every series, but this is the very first time I have decided to take the plunge. I am happy I did. It was gripping for a YA novel. It had some darker elements that some authors usually avoid when writing YA novels as it can cause controversy. Sexual elements are a big no so that the authors aren't accused of supporting child molestation and whatnot. Trust me – I've seen it happen. A good book torn down just because the fictional paper girl wasn't eighteen when she had sex for the first time. Why shit like that happens, I haven't the slightest...but it does and it results in vanilla YA. A lot of vanilla YA. The authors are often careful when exposing their under-aged to certain forms of violence too. Nothing too nitty-gritty for the innocent girlies. Most of the time you wind up reading bland Hannah Montana bollocks, as you can't present a novel as dark anything no matter how badly you lie in the blurb. I am gretefull Julie Kagawa was not one of those people.

The Immortal Rules was a good story, although it suffered from the YA syndrome, even if it wasn't too excessive. There were parts of the book that just dragged, especially after Allie got out of the city walls. There was a lot of time wasted just walking around and soul-searching witch bored me a little. Considering the group was moving trough the dark in wild forests infested with diseased zombified vampires (Yes zombified vampires, bitches!!!), I would have expected a few brushes with death. Sometimes it seemed that the plot was developing in a too precisely set pattern, like nothing was left to chance. In a world that's filled with nightmares, I doubt things happen by appointment you know? Oh you finished with your conversation? Good time to introduce something new. Things didn't overlap much.

Still the story was a gripping one, and the emotions felt and brought to the table by Allie were the icing on the cake. Kagawa truly did a good job with self-doubt and loneliness. Allie was presented as a very human girl suffering a dark fate. I could relate to her, and I want to know what happens next, so I'll be off.

Oh and there is one last thing I need to say, one last cliché I need to address. Only in this case, you can call it an irony. How come is it that every time we have a paranormal heroine she has to as a some kind of unwritten rule carry a katana? Oh the fact that Allie is of an Asian descent and so is the author is not lost on me. In a sense, Ms. Kagawa is laying down a connection to her heritage in one way or another. Kudos to that. To everyone else.... have you ever tried to draw a sword?? Have you ever tried to draw a katana for that matter?? Do you know it's so difficult that it is considered an art form on it's own? But hey, have chick and vampires theme? Grab a katana. It works... (no it doesn't, it's predictable and boring) ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
Now THAT is how a vampire book is done, people! It was dark and gritty and gory, and I loved it!

Julie Kagawa has created an utterly creeptastic world that, I'm not going to lie, will probably give me nightmares. The vampires are scary, the rabids are scarier, and I'm really glad that I read this while the sun was up ;) ( )
  dkgarner95 | Jul 29, 2015 |
To Nick, who will always slay vampires with me.
They hung the Unregistereds in the old warehouse district; it was a public execution, so everyone went to see.

"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city, until she too becomes an immortal vampire. Forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls, she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend -- a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,853,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible