The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules

by Julie Kagawa

So as you may or may not now, I was super duper excited with bells on to read this book. It was on my TBR list for a year, and last week I managed to to pick it up for a £1 while shopping in Asda. I was very happy (as you can see in a previous post) and started reading it the moment I had finished what I was currently reading. Before I start you should know that I'm a massive fan of Dystipian novels at the moment, thanks to The Hunger Games, I'm also a lover of vampire books at the moment thanks to The Vampire Academy & Bloodlines, so you mix those two together and what could go wrong? thankfully not a lot if this books is anything to go by.

This book kicks of with a double hanging of a young unregistered human couple, their crime is stealing eight ounces of soy, two potatoes and a quarter loaf of bread. Very harsh if you ask me but in New Convington, humans are by law registered property of the vampire leader Prince Slazar (FYI, I did spazz a little at that name of course other people have that name but obviously my first thought was of Harry Potter.) anyway to be registered in New Convington, the vampire run city, you must give blood when it is required, in return you will be fed and housed adequately and also kept safe from the rabid vampires that dwell outside of the city walls. Humans are being kept like slaves ever since Red Lung Disease took out 70% of the population.

Allie, is one of the unregistered. She and her group live in what was once a school in The Fringe just outside of the Inner City. She and her friends are constantly hungry and on guard but its worth it compared to what their life could be. None of them want to live as a human blood bag, but times are difficult, there is hardly any food around and Allie has to go to extreme measures to find something edible. She set's out to the ruins and is lucky enough to find a house with a stocked basement, but luck isn't on her side for long when she returns with her friends to get the food. Not far from the tunnels back into the city, the rabid descend on her and her group and Allie is left dying and making a hard choice, die and leave the world for good or Kanin (a vampire she's has met once before that happens to be in the right to place at the right time) could turn her, only problem is there's no guarantee she wont turn into a rabid.

Not wanting to die she accepts Kanin's offer and thus begins their training, until they are unfortunately separated and Allie is yet again on her own. Wandering she stumbles across a group of humans trying to find a safe city called Eden. Convinced to stay with them after saving one of their own, she decides to even though it would mean trying her hardest to pretend to be human. How long can she keep it up for though? she could either fed from group members when they are asleep and unaware, or she can put of feeding to the point where the hunger is so strong, restraint is almost nonexistent. On top of trying to not give in to her basic instincts, she has to try and keep everyone at arms length, specially Zeke the son of her new groups leader.

All in all I enjoyed this book, it didn't wow me as much as I expected it too but that might just be because I had such a high expectations of this. Also, it could only be me and I wouldn't be surprised if it was but it reminded me of The Walking Dead in parts, I wont go into detail as it could spoil both this book and The Walking Dead (if you watch it) but that's how I feel. Looking forward to the next book :) ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
I LOVED this series.

I had just about given up on vampire books. I had beyond given up on them. But Kagawa has pulled me back.
Allison is everything I want from a heroine. Tough, strong, and complex. An added bonus is that she isn't white. Not that I mind having a white protagonist but I want more diverse books and characters in my life.

Kagawa's characters are real and easy to identify with. The world she creates is believable and I love her writing. She didn't give me stupid happy endings, even though, I admit. I kind of want a stupid happy ending for my beloved pack of survivors.
I could not put this down. Can't wait to read the next in the series. ( )
  Nazgullie | Sep 11, 2014 |
What would your choice be if given the choice of becoming something you hated or dying? Allie is forced to make that choice and become one of the very things she hates with a passion. Vampires in this book are not all glittery and fun. I liked that part..duh Vampires are supposed to be all nasty-ala Salem's Lot.
Allie's character at first started off very dull and then she became the vampire and that changed for me. She was a kick-ass little thing. Zeke's character as a love interest for her came across kind of bland though. I think she needs more of a match for her.
This was my first Julie Kagawa book but definitely not my last.
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
I have never read a book by Julia before though I do remember hearing her name before. I have meet many people who rave about her Iron Fey series ( a series now on my to read list). I started this book a little bit hesitantly I was worried that her book would be trapped in the black hole that many vampire novels have fallen into. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a typical vampire novel. The immortal Rules combines the topic of vampires with a Dystopian society.
Zeke is Allie's love interest though their romance is on the back burners the scenes were so cute. I really like the way Zeke acts he isn't the common bad boy you see in YA books recently. In fact he is a good guy who fights for what is right and is also a great fighter.
In all, The Immortal Rules is a great start to this trilogy. I can't wait for the next book to come out in 2013. Best part to me is the fact that Julia promised we get to see more Kanin in the second book I really am super excited to have Kanin back!

The world is so dark and kinda frightening. I really couldn't put this book down the story was so perfect with all of its action scenes a twists and turns. I absolutely love the characters(Kanin being my favorite!) The main character Allie is AMAZING! She kicks Ass with her awesome weapon(sorry not telling;) She also opens up as a vampire more than she ever did back when she was a human with only survival on her mind.

This is my first Dystopian novel so I have no reference point on how effective and well written the world is supposed to be. The Fringe and the vampire castle is written so well! I absolutely love it and it is so unique.

5/5 stars ( )
  AryaDragon | Aug 26, 2014 |

5/5 stars ( )
  AryaDragon | Aug 26, 2014 |
To Nick, who will always slay vampires with me.
They hung the Unregistereds in the old warehouse district; it was a public execution, so everyone went to see.

"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city, until she too becomes an immortal vampire. Forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls, she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend -- a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,675,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible