The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules

by Julie Kagawa

Recently added byLizzy, AryaDragon, private library, MaddieTimm, BookCrazed2013, misshannahlori, badwolfbb

I have never read a book by Julia before though I do remember hearing her name before. I have meet many people who rave about her Iron Fey series ( a series now on my to read list). I started this book a little bit hesitantly I was worried that her book would be trapped in the black hole that many vampire novels have fallen into. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a typical vampire novel. The immortal Rules combines the topic of vampires with a Dystopian society.
Zeke is Allie's love interest though their romance is on the back burners the scenes were so cute. I really like the way Zeke acts he isn't the common bad boy you see in YA books recently. In fact he is a good guy who fights for what is right and is also a great fighter.
In all, The Immortal Rules is a great start to this trilogy. I can't wait for the next book to come out in 2013. Best part to me is the fact that Julia promised we get to see more Kanin in the second book I really am super excited to have Kanin back!

The world is so dark and kinda frightening. I really couldn't put this book down the story was so perfect with all of its action scenes a twists and turns. I absolutely love the characters(Kanin being my favorite!) The main character Allie is AMAZING! She kicks Ass with her awesome weapon(sorry not telling;) She also opens up as a vampire more than she ever did back when she was a human with only survival on her mind.

This is my first Dystopian novel so I have no reference point on how effective and well written the world is supposed to be. The Fringe and the vampire castle is written so well! I absolutely love it and it is so unique.

5/5 stars ( )
  AryaDragon | Aug 26, 2014 |

5/5 stars ( )
  AryaDragon | Aug 26, 2014 |
**No spoilers.

3.5 ish stars.

I’m glad to see that the vampire genre isn’t completely dead. I’m liking these “rage” creatures of the night. They make for nail-biting reads. Mostly.

The Immortal Rules started off in nail-biting fashion. The first 1/3 was creepy, dark, and kept me glued to the pages. The last 2/3 – meh, not so much.

Allison is a likable enough MC. She’s tough, loyal, and she has heart. Unfortunately, none of these things make her stand out in a sea of generic YA heroines. I can only applaud that she wasn’t completely TSTL – she was only slightly so. Throughout her “journey” from human to vampire, I never felt a deep connection with her. I also rarely commiserated with her plight. I should have felt more. That kind of transformation is more than physical, it’s highly emotional and psychological, but Allison’s delivery of emotions fell flat. I didn’t hate her, though and that’s a huge step above most YA heroines these days. I just wanted more of her than her superficial musings.

There were a lot of characters in this book, most of which I could do without. There were some kids for the “aww” factor, an obstinate older man for the “oppressed” factor, a typical, irrational mean-girl for the “conflict” factor, and a dreamy boy for the “vomit-in-mouth” factor. He was a Harry Sue, btw. There was only one character that was an enigma. Want moar.

I guess, technically, there were 2 boys. Boy 2 was the Harry Sue, sugary sweet, do-gooder. I like Boy 1 - probably because he’s no boy. He was a dark, dangerous, and broody character, with a mysterious past, who was on the run from some very nefarious people. Of course, he was only around for a small portion of the book, before he was put aside in favor of nonsensical happenings. Sadly, we never got back to him or his story. DAMMIT. I don’t get why Kagawa veered off the initial path and steered into generic, trope-y snoozeville. Luckily, the ending suggests that the next book will focus more on him and his storyline and for that I’m itching to get my hands on it.

My 2 biggest gripes with this book were:

The predictability - Some things were practically spelled out for you and so, they came as no surprise.

The religious undertones - I was surprised at how much religion was referred to. Especially confusing was having the MC state she didn't believe in God, but then having her pray at a later time. Huh?

Lastly, what's up with that cover? Allison is described as an exotic Asian girl, so who dat is on dat cover?

Despite my gripes, I was pretty entertained by the book as a whole. There were lulls, but it never got too bad. Specifically with where the story is heading, there’s hope yet with this series.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog:

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Allison Sekemoto is an unregistered human, surviving on the fringes of society rather than be periodically drained by the vampires who rule her city. Until one night she dies and is forced to become one of the monsters she hates if she wants to survive. Fleeing from the city, she ends up with a band of humans searching through the rabid-infested wilderness for a cure that might not even exist.

I loved everything about this book. The writing, the characters, the plot… The writing felt a bit austere and matter-of-fact in a way that was just right for a survivor like Allison. Right off the bat, the author vividly shows us the world she created, letting us know what’s going on without ever pausing the story to just give us information. And wow is it a great world she’s created. Julie Kagawa is one of the only authors I’ve read other than Anne Rice who doesn’t portray being a vampire as all fun and games. They’re predators and there’s something very dark about that. She even manages to create some interesting ethical dilemmas for Allison, who faces them head on and never gets all angsty about it.

Allison is another one of my favorite parts of this book. The references to her ethnic heritage make her unique, as do her bravery, intelligence, and love of books. This book had the potential to become cliche in so many places and it never happened. No love triangle, no falling for the broody guy, no going all mushy or all jealous over the guy she likes. She even rescues her love interest far more often than he rescues her. I loved this book both for what it was and for what it wasn’t. It avoided every single thing that can make an otherwise great YA book annoying. And the protagonist, writing, plot, and world building are all amazing. Highly recommended.

This review first published on Doing Dewey. ( )
  DoingDewey | Jun 29, 2014 |
All I can say is wow!!!! This is my first Julie Kagawa read and I am already loving how she writes, The Immortal Rules was a great introduction into the world of vampire she built. Allison is a strong character and is very unbelievable in her struggle with her humanity. The beginning of the book was a slow start but give it about 100 pages to kick in and get you hook to the story. I love that the story takes time to develop Allison character from human to vampire and that there is a budding romance but it builds up slowly. Julie Kagawa didn't try to rush the romance part and I love it because it makes it more believable.

Another aspect I liked was how realistic the story was, she didn't try to sugar coat the struggle of being a vampire was and how sometimes the need for blood can consume you and turn you into a monster. Allison is at heart a good vampire but if she doesn't feed she will turn into what she fears most - a blood crazed vampire. The humans wants to believe she won't hurt them but is afraid of letting her in because it'll be like putting a mice in a cookie jar.

Other characters I really liked were Zeke, Darren, Kanin, and Caleb. Kanin is Allison sire and mentor who teaches her the ways to live as a newly transition vampire. It is very hard not to like him because even with his cold demeanor you can tell her cares a lot for Allison and wants to help her survive but at the same time face her reality --> no matter what she does, save hundreds of humans from rabid attacks she'll still be look at as a predator and feared.

So far I love this series and on to reading book 2 :D ( )
  thtlam | Jun 16, 2014 |
To Nick, who will always slay vampires with me.
They hung the Unregistereds in the old warehouse district; it was a public execution, so everyone went to see.

"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city, until she too becomes an immortal vampire. Forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls, she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend -- a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,356,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible