The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules

by Julie Kagawa

I really love this book! I wish I could have the whole series since I only read the first one. ( )
  Miryan | May 11, 2016 |
What do you do when given a choice to live or die? Especially when you would have to live as a creature you've spent your life hating.

I LOVED this book. It mixed vampires with dystopian. I mean, seriously, could a book be any better.

Allison is a strong female character. She is constantly fighting her inner urges in order to be a good person. He only downfall is she makes some decisions based on her selfishness. Allison remains loyal to those she cares about even they they haven't been all that great to her.

This book also has other great characters. At first I didn't really care for Jeb. He is rude and doesn't seem to care about anyone but himself. Though toward the end I had a new respect for him and understood his motives a bit better. Zeke is ruggedly cute. He's trusting and willing to do what he can to help others, even if he has to go without. I loved the characters that Julie created. She made it easy to relate to each of them.

The action in this book was great! At times it was fast paced, while other battles were more drawn out so you could see it all play out before you. Also, Julie's scene description is phenomenal. I haven't gotten creeped out by a YA novel in a long time, and this one had my peeking over my shoulder if I was reading at night.

The think I loved best was there wasn't a love triangle. Allison isn't trying to figure out who to love and not love. I really enjoyed it. You don't have to have a love triangle to make a story good. ( I do secretly love a good love triangle though.)

This is a story about finding yourself in a dark time. You begin to wonder if everything you've been told is true. Some characters are able to put their prejudices aside. You never know how people my surprise you. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Vampires have control of the world. A virus has killed off most of the world's human population. The humans still living have become like sheep, tattooed, registered, keep in caged areas, with scheduled blood drainings. There are a few who have slipped through the cracks living on the fringe, unregistered and nearly starving. They travel farther out of the city searching for food. Outside it is even more dangerous. The Rabids, basically a vampire gone mad, cruise the fringes and outer areas, mindlessly killing.

Allison is one of these humans, living outside the system, unregistered. She lives with a rag-tag group of kids. Her drive to live will take her into very dangerous situations. She risks her life to save her friends. One will betray her, many will die. She will lose everything and her life will never be the same. Eyes open, she moves on.

Kanin, an outsider, watches her. He witnesses the sacrifices and steps in to give her a choice. He offers her something she hates, something that will make her change forever. He gives her a new understanding and teaches her about herself.

After Kanin leaves her she embarks on a journey that will driver her to her limits. She will find people she cares about. She will test herself and her 'lines' she must not cross. The path is difficult, heartbreaking and intriguing.

I was so enthralled with this story I read it in one day. Allison, is a strong survivalist who still has a heart. Her struggles were heart wrenching. Kanin, the mysterious one. What a thrill he is, he is history. The people she meets on her journey are sweet, creepy, snippy, clingy and crazy. I found this very realistic. I can't wait for the next book in this series. I am looking forward to learning more about Kanin. I have been a fan of this author for years. I am glad she broke her rule and wrote about vampires. It's and excellent beginning to this new series.

TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Not bad for another vampire book ( )
  keindi | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book is like one of my favorite series by one of my favorite authors julie kagawa

This book starts like this alexandrea or allie for short is a scavenger and has to find food instead of give blood to the vamp's or vampires and they give 1 pint in exchange for regular food that vampires can not eat. people that are not registered are not given food but not harvested for blood. ( )
  NickR.B3 | Jan 4, 2016 |
To Nick, who will always slay vampires with me.
They hung the Unregistereds in the old warehouse district; it was a public execution, so everyone went to see.

"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city, until she too becomes an immortal vampire. Forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls, she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend -- a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,836,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible