The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules

by Julie Kagawa

Vampires have control of the world. A virus has killed off most of the world's human population. The humans still living have become like sheep, tattooed, registered, keep in caged areas, with scheduled blood drainings. There are a few who have slipped through the cracks living on the fringe, unregistered and nearly starving. They travel farther out of the city searching for food. Outside it is even more dangerous. The Rabids, basically a vampire gone mad, cruise the fringes and outer areas, mindlessly killing.

Allison is one of these humans, living outside the system, unregistered. She lives with a rag-tag group of kids. Her drive to live will take her into very dangerous situations. She risks her life to save her friends. One will betray her, many will die. She will lose everything and her life will never be the same. Eyes open, she moves on.

Kanin, an outsider, watches her. He witnesses the sacrifices and steps in to give her a choice. He offers her something she hates, something that will make her change forever. He gives her a new understanding and teaches her about herself.

After Kanin leaves her she embarks on a journey that will driver her to her limits. She will find people she cares about. She will test herself and her 'lines' she must not cross. The path is difficult, heartbreaking and intriguing.

I was so enthralled with this story I read it in one day. Allison, is a strong survivalist who still has a heart. Her struggles were heart wrenching. Kanin, the mysterious one. What a thrill he is, he is history. The people she meets on her journey are sweet, creepy, snippy, clingy and crazy. I found this very realistic. I can't wait for the next book in this series. I am looking forward to learning more about Kanin. I have been a fan of this author for years. I am glad she broke her rule and wrote about vampires. It's and excellent beginning to this new series.

TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Not bad for another vampire book ( )
  keindi | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book is like one of my favorite series by one of my favorite authors julie kagawa

This book starts like this alexandrea or allie for short is a scavenger and has to find food instead of give blood to the vamp's or vampires and they give 1 pint in exchange for regular food that vampires can not eat. people that are not registered are not given food but not harvested for blood. ( )
  NickR.B3 | Jan 4, 2016 |
Well, hot damn! I wasn't expecting THAT.

Let me be straight. I don't like Julie's Iron Fey series, and I wasn't expecting much from this book, however I happened to be as wrong as I was about Holly Black whose fae series are not to my taste, but whose Cassel Sharpe books I freaking adore.

This was PHENOMENAL. A brutal mix of I Am Legend and Ashes by Ilsa J.Bick with a bit of Blood Red Road. No fancy-pantsy love triangle, no absurd irrational twists of plot, very decent world-building and fantastic pace.

I feel so alive now. All my senses are on fire.

What is so so good about The Immortal Rules, it's this single-minded focus of the novel to bring to our attention one girl's struggle to stay human, and not become a monster everyone thinks she should be. That's it. Very simple and very effective.

What drives Allison first is the need to survive and help people somehow to make a difference, to make a stand against the vampires. When she becomes the exact same thing she despises, she still can't abandon her secret desire to help.

She finds this group of people on the way to a Utopian city with no vampires and goes out of her way to help them get there through the scariest and saddest moments of their terrifying journey.

Not everyone will get there, there are no miracles along the way, and nothing is PG-13 rated. You've been warned.

This book is bloodthirsty, savage and very gripping. I won't call the ending a cliffhanger per se, but it's suitably samurai-ish for Allison Sekemoto, and I can not wait to read what's next in the series.

Overall, this was a wonderful and exhilarating ride. I can find no fault in The Immortal Rules whatsoever and highly recommend it to everyone! ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I actually read this a couple of months ago, right before it came out...but...I am a tad behind on actually writing reviews. I know! I know! I am catching up tonight in hopes of starting to clear out my TBR piles. Anyway...the book. First, I was very happy this book was nothing like Ms. Kagawa's fairy books. I love that she had her own unique voice for this character. Most of all...I liked that the ending was a "happy for now" ending. There was enough to keep me interested for the next book but she didn't totally leave me hanging!

I also liked the face that vampires are scary again! I love the scary vamps we hide indoors for. I also liked how this world was all vampire with a few humans thrown in, instead of the all human world with a few vampires thrown in. Ms. Kagawa is ruthless in this book and I think it is an excellent thing to have in this genre.

I loved the whole Book of Eli feel of the ending as well. I can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
To Nick, who will always slay vampires with me.
They hung the Unregistereds in the old warehouse district; it was a public execution, so everyone went to see.

"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city, until she too becomes an immortal vampire. Forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls, she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend -- a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,132,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible