The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules

by Julie Kagawa

I actually read this a couple of months ago, right before it came out...but...I am a tad behind on actually writing reviews. I know! I know! I am catching up tonight in hopes of starting to clear out my TBR piles. Anyway...the book. First, I was very happy this book was nothing like Ms. Kagawa's fairy books. I love that she had her own unique voice for this character. Most of all...I liked that the ending was a "happy for now" ending. There was enough to keep me interested for the next book but she didn't totally leave me hanging!

I also liked the face that vampires are scary again! I love the scary vamps we hide indoors for. I also liked how this world was all vampire with a few humans thrown in, instead of the all human world with a few vampires thrown in. Ms. Kagawa is ruthless in this book and I think it is an excellent thing to have in this genre.

I loved the whole Book of Eli feel of the ending as well. I can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I forced myself to finish this one. I never read a Kagawa book, and I probably won't read another one after this.

Cheesy as an 80s sitcom.

The "love interest" is boring and the only other female is a jealous harpy. She dies, isn't that convenient?

The book dragged on and on, and the ending is an epic cliffhanger. ( )
  lesindy | Nov 1, 2014 |
The Immortal Rules reinvents the tired vampire genre by adding a post-apocalyptic, dystopian world with zombie-like rabids waiting in the shadows to tear you to pieces. Kagawa has also brought back the vampires of old as soulless killers who've allowed themselves to lose all semblance of humanity, are allergic to sunlight and can only drink blood. True monsters. None of that sparkly, namby-pamby stuff. This mashup of popular genres works, primarily because the world and plot are complex and the main character isn't stupid or emotionally dense.

Sixty years ago the Red Lung virus wiped out billions of people, reducing the vampires' food source. One master vamp presented himself to the human scientists to help in any way he could, providing them with other vamps as test subjects in order to find a cure. The unfortunate result was rabids -vampires warped by the virus, overcome by their predatory instincts are now violent zombies with only basic intelligence and whose bite spreads the virus further. In repsonse, master vampires created walled off cities which hold the remaining humans like prisoners, forced to work and donate blood to their undead masters and in return they receive food. Unregistered humans who don't wish to live as blood slaves survive by squatting in empty buildings, stealing food, trading on the black market and defending their territory from other groups. A tough life and one that our main character leads.

Everyday was a struggle against starvation for Allie and her small group of Unregistereds, within which were stark contrasts between self-sufficiency and well, the exact opposite. Despite being physically capable Stick is fearful and weak, disgustingly so. He's a parasite feeding off Allie, literally. She goes hungry to feed him, cares for him, fights his battles. Pity and his assumed loyalty seemed to be the only reason he was allowed to mooch. I despised Stick's lack of backbone. Not once did he make an effort to be brave.

As you can tell, Allie has a bit of a soft spot for those in need but she also possesses common sense, she's a survivor -one who tries not to let men distract her or bring her down. There's a goal and she will attain it. By any means necessary. She's not afraid to kill in self-defense but she is afraid of losing compassion, of letting her predatory instincts take over and thereby stripping her of her humanity, her morals. Allie’s adamant she won't become like the vampires she's always despised who treat humans as cattle. She strives to better herself and others in any way she can and hopes to one day have the strength and skill to somehow change the status quo, to perhaps free humans from the stranglehold of vampires. Kanin's philosophy of moderation, and choice and treatment of his victims made him an ideal sire and mentor for Allie. He was brutally honest and practical, teaching her vampire history and how to become a samurai (she's of Japanese descent) with her newly acquired katana.

Allie's journey after she's forced to flee the city is an intriguing one but also mildly worrying when she meets the sickeningly nice human guy with "love interest" tattooed on his forehead. Zeke is part of a small group of travellers seeking the elusive human-run city, Eden. Is it real? Is their leader nuts? Joining them was obviously a bad idea but she was lonely and these people obviously need help hunting food, fighting off rabids and hiding from some vengeful vampire. Keeping her undead status under wraps and her hunger in check she gets to know everyone, feeling especially protective of the children who instantly trust her. When the cat's out of the bag, I loved the fact that Allie doesn't let her injured pride lead to vengeance or abandonment. Luckily for them, she cares for the group from afar which led to some much enjoyed action, death and destruction. The last few pages were full of awesome. A stoic and visually beautiful ending.

I can’t fault the writing style. There were moments when I swore I was watching a movie instead of reading, times like these:

My coat snapped behind me as I flew over the water, and the raiders’ eyes bulged as I soared from one side of the catwalks to the other.

There were also a couple of eerily appropriate Bible verses:

“’Again, I looked and saw all the oppression that was taking place under the sun: I saw the tears of the oppressed-and they have no comforter; and power was on the side of their oppressors-and they have no comforter.’”
I suspect Allie will one day provide that comforter.

And there's the better known: “’though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.’” A very literal valley of death.

I can take a guess where things will go from here. I expect at some point Kanin and Zeke will meet for the express purpose of sharing knowledge to find a cure to the virus, whether that will be in Eden, I don't know, considering it's a vamp-free zone. I am slightly anxious about the future potential for lovestruck pining but I'm hoping her focus will be on rescuing Kanin before the torture reduces him to a ravening beast. And obviously Allie’s vampire brother will reappear at the most inopportune time. I’m curious enough to find out what happens next to read the sequel.

Favourite Quotes
I frowned, utterly confused. What kind of vampire killed four people, had a cryptic conversation with a street rat, thanked the street rat for talking with him, and then walked off?

'I was dying. I was dying, and this stranger-this vampire- was offering me a way out.
Die as a human, or become a bloodsucker.'

‘Will you choose to become a demon with a human face, or will you fight your demon until the end of time, knowing you will forever struggle alone?’

“I’m good to go,” I said, holding my sword. “I don’t have anything except this.” It was kind of sad, really. That I’d lived in a place for seventeen years and had nothing to show for it but a sword and the clothes on my back. And they weren’t even mine.

“And like I said, if the tent falls on you in the middle of the night, don’t panic. You’ll get used to it. No one really worries about keeping things erect around here, and...Wow, that sounded bad.”

‘A large bed sat against the wall beneath a broken window, curtains waving gently in the breeze. On the worm-eaten mattress, two adult skeletons lay side by side, the remains of their clothes rotted away. Between them was a much smaller skeleton, being held in the arms of one of the adults, cradling it to its chest.’

“Allie, you’re a beautiful, exotic-looking vampire girl with a katana. Trust me, if anyone is going to attract attention, it’s not going to be me.”

3.5 stars.

***My thanks to Harlequin for the ebook via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*** ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
So as you may or may not now, I was super duper excited with bells on to read this book. It was on my TBR list for a year, and last week I managed to to pick it up for a £1 while shopping in Asda. I was very happy (as you can see in a previous post) and started reading it the moment I had finished what I was currently reading. Before I start you should know that I'm a massive fan of Dystipian novels at the moment, thanks to The Hunger Games, I'm also a lover of vampire books at the moment thanks to The Vampire Academy & Bloodlines, so you mix those two together and what could go wrong? thankfully not a lot if this books is anything to go by.

This book kicks of with a double hanging of a young unregistered human couple, their crime is stealing eight ounces of soy, two potatoes and a quarter loaf of bread. Very harsh if you ask me but in New Convington, humans are by law registered property of the vampire leader Prince Slazar (FYI, I did spazz a little at that name of course other people have that name but obviously my first thought was of Harry Potter.) anyway to be registered in New Convington, the vampire run city, you must give blood when it is required, in return you will be fed and housed adequately and also kept safe from the rabid vampires that dwell outside of the city walls. Humans are being kept like slaves ever since Red Lung Disease took out 70% of the population.

Allie, is one of the unregistered. She and her group live in what was once a school in The Fringe just outside of the Inner City. She and her friends are constantly hungry and on guard but its worth it compared to what their life could be. None of them want to live as a human blood bag, but times are difficult, there is hardly any food around and Allie has to go to extreme measures to find something edible. She set's out to the ruins and is lucky enough to find a house with a stocked basement, but luck isn't on her side for long when she returns with her friends to get the food. Not far from the tunnels back into the city, the rabid descend on her and her group and Allie is left dying and making a hard choice, die and leave the world for good or Kanin (a vampire she's has met once before that happens to be in the right to place at the right time) could turn her, only problem is there's no guarantee she wont turn into a rabid.

Not wanting to die she accepts Kanin's offer and thus begins their training, until they are unfortunately separated and Allie is yet again on her own. Wandering she stumbles across a group of humans trying to find a safe city called Eden. Convinced to stay with them after saving one of their own, she decides to even though it would mean trying her hardest to pretend to be human. How long can she keep it up for though? she could either fed from group members when they are asleep and unaware, or she can put of feeding to the point where the hunger is so strong, restraint is almost nonexistent. On top of trying to not give in to her basic instincts, she has to try and keep everyone at arms length, specially Zeke the son of her new groups leader.

All in all I enjoyed this book, it didn't wow me as much as I expected it too but that might just be because I had such a high expectations of this. Also, it could only be me and I wouldn't be surprised if it was but it reminded me of The Walking Dead in parts, I wont go into detail as it could spoil both this book and The Walking Dead (if you watch it) but that's how I feel. Looking forward to the next book :) ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
I LOVED this series.

I had just about given up on vampire books. I had beyond given up on them. But Kagawa has pulled me back.
Allison is everything I want from a heroine. Tough, strong, and complex. An added bonus is that she isn't white. Not that I mind having a white protagonist but I want more diverse books and characters in my life.

Kagawa's characters are real and easy to identify with. The world she creates is believable and I love her writing. She didn't give me stupid happy endings, even though, I admit. I kind of want a stupid happy ending for my beloved pack of survivors.
I could not put this down. Can't wait to read the next in the series. ( )
  Nazgullie | Sep 11, 2014 |
To Nick, who will always slay vampires with me.
They hung the Unregistereds in the old warehouse district; it was a public execution, so everyone went to see.

"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city, until she too becomes an immortal vampire. Forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls, she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend -- a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,995,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible