The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules

by Julie Kagawa

This book blew me away. It really did. It was one of those books that keep you so focused on the story, that you don't even feel the need to move. You start reading and the sun is up in the sky and after about an hour, you lift your head up and realize it's dark outside and you check the watch and you realize hours and hours have past since you started reading. It's one of those books that make you want to read each and every sentence and really pay attention to what you're reading.

I loved Allie. She was a very complex character. What I loved about her was that you could see two different sides in her. She could be both fearless and scared, tough as nails and tender, she could mourn the loss of a friend and choose to kill another vampire just to save her human friends. I liked that about her. It made her look multidimensional. Of course, she has her bad moments, she makes some not so smart decisions, but everyone does. The fact that she's not perfect makes her even more like-able in my opinion.

I also loved the world presented in this book. It was my very first dystopian book and it made me ask myself why I waited so long to try this genre. It was amazing. I liked the fact that vampires weren't as indestructible as they normally are represented. They were just as powerless as the humans when it came to those zombie-vampire creatures.

Another thing that I liked was the fact that the author didn't take the easy, predictable way out. There were moments where I expected certain characters to do or say a certain thing and I was 100% sure they'd do it. And when those things didn't happen, it was so refreshing. It was amazing how each and every time I expected something to happen, those things didn't. Each page of this book was full or surprises and I loved that.

The book has it all: horror, action, suspense, romance, a little drama. Of course, I'm hoping we get to see Allie's vampire dad, Kanin, again.

I really can't wait for the next book to come out. I will probably reread this book soon, because I need to return to that world. And until I get my hands on the second book, what am I to do?

Recommended: If you like vampires, YA, fantasy, paranormal, horror, you name it, this book is for you. I do believe this is one of the books you HAVE to read.
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
If anyone has watched the British show, Being Human, you would know they had come up with a dystopian vampire world where humans are numbered like cattle to give blood to vampires. Also, if you have watched any Japanese vampire animae, many have the same plot. Like in Talon, where many readers and critics say plagiarized Sophie Jordan's Firelight, Julie Kagawa lifted and ripped off other vampire series for Immortal Rules. I hate how she ripped off lesser known works from other countries or smaller publishers to pass off as her own purposely conning her teen fans to think they are originals thinking we teenagers are too dumb to find out about foreign shows or books. ( )
  meredithL | Jul 6, 2016 |
I really love this book! I wish I could have the whole series since I only read the first one. ( )
  Miryan | May 11, 2016 |
What do you do when given a choice to live or die? Especially when you would have to live as a creature you've spent your life hating.

I LOVED this book. It mixed vampires with dystopian. I mean, seriously, could a book be any better.

Allison is a strong female character. She is constantly fighting her inner urges in order to be a good person. He only downfall is she makes some decisions based on her selfishness. Allison remains loyal to those she cares about even they they haven't been all that great to her.

This book also has other great characters. At first I didn't really care for Jeb. He is rude and doesn't seem to care about anyone but himself. Though toward the end I had a new respect for him and understood his motives a bit better. Zeke is ruggedly cute. He's trusting and willing to do what he can to help others, even if he has to go without. I loved the characters that Julie created. She made it easy to relate to each of them.

The action in this book was great! At times it was fast paced, while other battles were more drawn out so you could see it all play out before you. Also, Julie's scene description is phenomenal. I haven't gotten creeped out by a YA novel in a long time, and this one had my peeking over my shoulder if I was reading at night.

The think I loved best was there wasn't a love triangle. Allison isn't trying to figure out who to love and not love. I really enjoyed it. You don't have to have a love triangle to make a story good. ( I do secretly love a good love triangle though.)

This is a story about finding yourself in a dark time. You begin to wonder if everything you've been told is true. Some characters are able to put their prejudices aside. You never know how people my surprise you. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Vampires have control of the world. A virus has killed off most of the world's human population. The humans still living have become like sheep, tattooed, registered, keep in caged areas, with scheduled blood drainings. There are a few who have slipped through the cracks living on the fringe, unregistered and nearly starving. They travel farther out of the city searching for food. Outside it is even more dangerous. The Rabids, basically a vampire gone mad, cruise the fringes and outer areas, mindlessly killing.

Allison is one of these humans, living outside the system, unregistered. She lives with a rag-tag group of kids. Her drive to live will take her into very dangerous situations. She risks her life to save her friends. One will betray her, many will die. She will lose everything and her life will never be the same. Eyes open, she moves on.

Kanin, an outsider, watches her. He witnesses the sacrifices and steps in to give her a choice. He offers her something she hates, something that will make her change forever. He gives her a new understanding and teaches her about herself.

After Kanin leaves her she embarks on a journey that will driver her to her limits. She will find people she cares about. She will test herself and her 'lines' she must not cross. The path is difficult, heartbreaking and intriguing.

I was so enthralled with this story I read it in one day. Allison, is a strong survivalist who still has a heart. Her struggles were heart wrenching. Kanin, the mysterious one. What a thrill he is, he is history. The people she meets on her journey are sweet, creepy, snippy, clingy and crazy. I found this very realistic. I can't wait for the next book in this series. I am looking forward to learning more about Kanin. I have been a fan of this author for years. I am glad she broke her rule and wrote about vampires. It's and excellent beginning to this new series.

TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
To Nick, who will always slay vampires with me.
They hung the Unregistereds in the old warehouse district; it was a public execution, so everyone went to see.

"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city, until she too becomes an immortal vampire. Forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls, she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend -- a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,711,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible