Wolfhound Century by Peter Higgins

Wolfhound Century (edition 2013)

by Peter Higgins

Series: Mirgorod (1)

Member:bookstothesky
Title:Wolfhound Century
Authors:Peter Higgins
Info:Orbit (2013), Hardcover, 380 pages
Collections:Your library, Books, Read in 2012
Tags:arc, uk fantasy, fantasy, uk science fiction, science fiction, steampunk, read 2012, read

Wolfhound Century by Peter Higgins

This book was a major disappointment, and indeed angered me, not because it was a poorly written book - it is in fact a good story with a unique and fascinating setting - but because it literally stops in the middle of a scene. Nothing in the book comes to any resolution. Not a cliffhanger, no, it simply stops in the middle of the story. There is no indication anywhere in the book, not on the cover, in the notes, in a preface, in the marketing material, anywhere - that this is the first in a series. But make no mistake, this is #1 in a series, in fact, it could be best described as like just reading the first few chapters of a book (except, it is in fact a book length work). Really, I was so convinced that I thought I had a defective printing and nearly went out to buy another copy. (Indeed, the #2 was released in 2014.) This is a good detective story in an alternate world fantasy with a steampunk flavor, but in a Russian setting with slavic mythology elements. Pretty interesting, and if in fact I had wrote this review after reading the whole series (sometime in the distant future) then my opinion would be completely reversed - but for now, I just can't get over the clipped ending. You have been warned.
1 vote hblanchard | Nov 23, 2014 |
Interesting story and characters. The action kept happening. ( )
  gregandlarry | May 23, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wolfhound Century by Peter Higgins has a wonderful, dark, damp, creepy atmosphere perfectly fitting the totalitarian Soviet state it is set in. In a world where the supernatural is natural, angels, giants, and other creatures are normal. Higgins tells a great tale, leading the reader along as Inspector Lom tracks a terrorist and finds out that thing are not as they seem. Unfortunately, the pacing of the story is very slow initially, then in the last third of the book things happen so fast it is difficult to keep up. Also, don't pick up this book expecting a complete story. This is the first volume in a series and ends rather too abruptly for my taste. ( )
  lpg3d | May 6, 2014 |
Wolfhound Century is one of those books with vivid imagery and an immersive world that trap you when you start reading them and you can only stop once you have finished. Peter Higgins has laid out the foundations for an astounding trilogy. You could read this novel only for the experienced pacing and precise descriptions, but you have the plot and characters that add even more to the book. Considering that this is Higgins’ debut novel, I can only dream of what he shall accomplish within the next decade.

Even days after reading it, I can still find myself remembering some of the descriptions. The narration can be dark like in many recent SFF books, but Higgins does it so elegantly that each graphic description is perfectly justified and necessary for the overall text. This has been a wonderful debut, and I certainly hope to read more from this author in the future.

Read the whole review on Jetpack Dragons: http://www.jetpackdragons.com/2014/03/wolfhound-century-a-20th-century-soviet-un... ( )
  sylbecke | Apr 6, 2014 |
What the heck is a Wolfhound Century? The book's name is taken from a prefatory quote by Osip Mandelstam, a poet persecuted by Stalin, whose works I do not know. Without a larger context it is hard to know what Mandelstam or Higgins means. The book itself is an offbeat combo of "The Magister and Marietta", the Strugatsky brothers, and the darker echoes of Solzhenitzyn, with space aliens, gollems, and robots embedded in what is mostly a police procedural.

Inspector Vissarion Lom is a cop, but not quite a normal man. As a child the authorities implanted a piece of meteorite into his forehead, a procedure with as yet fully understood consequences. Lom is called from the eastern forest fastnesses of pseudo Siberia to the bureaucratic bowels of the capital, a reimagined Petrograd. Somehow the mission is not as secret as he thought, and somehow he isn't a completely random personnel choice. It turns out that his childhood friends are deeply involved in the suspect activity, whatever the suspect activity actually is.

Wolfhound Century is the first in a series. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the sequels.

I received a review copy of Wolfhound Century by Peter Higgins (Orbit) through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Mar 31, 2014 |
2013-03 (USUK)
The woulfhound century is on my back --
But I am not a wolf.
--Osip Mandelstam (1891-1938)

Fantasy thriller set in an alternative early twentieth century Russia.

Investigator Vissarion Lom has been summoned to the capital in order to catch a terrorist --- and ordered to report directly to the head of the secret police. A totalitarian state, worn down by an endless war, must be seen to crush home-grown insurgents with an iron fist. But Lom discovers Mirgorod to be more corrupted than he imagined: a murky world of secret police and revolutionaries, cabaret clubs and doomed artists. Lom has been chosen because he is an outsider, not involved in the struggle for power within the party. And because of the sliver of angel stone implanted in his head.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Wolfhound Century by Peter Higgins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,368,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible