Worse things Happen at Sea by William…

Worse things Happen at Sea (edition 2011)

by William McInnes, Sarah Watt (Photographer)

Title:Worse things Happen at Sea
Authors:William McInnes
Other authors:Sarah Watt (Photographer)
Info:Sydney, N.S.W. : Hachette Australia, 2011.
Collections:Public library book, Favorites, Wishlist
Tags:Buy, Read but unowned, Autobiography

Worse Things Happen at Sea by William McInnes

This month's bookclub selection.

As it was handed out to bookclub members last month, this book was introduced with, 'A little *light* reading this month.' There is that feel about it -- magazine-glossy paper with a generous number of full-page colour photos. An easy read, surely.

"Who are these people?" someone asked, and it may have been me. I don't know much about famous people. Last time bookclub was required to read something written by an Australian actor, it was Judy Nunn's Maralinga, and my scathing rant has gone down in bookclub history as the shit-brown standard for scathing rants, mainly because I gave it negative 36 out of 10.

However, William McInnes is as much writer as he is actor. Sarah Watt I knew only as a director -- I had no idea the two were married. I've seen Look Both Ways and My Year Without Sex, but because I spend more time in imaginary worlds than in the real one, I hadn't realised Sarah Watt had died. I still may not have realised that, had I not been told at book club, by the same person who declared this 'a light read'.

This is far, far from a light read. Getting my dates mixed up, I've had to read most of it in a single sitting, and I feel the way I felt after watching Look Both Ways: Utterly affected, looking at life as a big picture of big emotions, mulling over death.

The humour of McInnes and the fact that Sarah Watts is writing in first person, often in present tense, only makes her 2011 death feel sadder.

I'm sad not just for the family, but sad also because there are too few women making films, and even fewer making films *about* women. So to lose someone just as she (probably) was moving into her prime movie-making years is gut-wrenching.

I found myself willingly distracted by email and Facebook just so I wouldn't have to sink into the final chapter of this memoir. I already know that some of the bookclub members haven't been able to read it due to the topics, but I'm interested to hear what others think of this book tonight. ( )
  LynleyS | Feb 8, 2014 |
William McInnes writes great books! I enjoy his friendly easy style, and I love the way he makes me feel. I'm sure talking to him in person would be like talking to your best friend. The text is down to earth and flows easily from one subject to another. The chapters written by Sarah hit a part of me that really connected. This book has been an absolute pleasure to read, my only complaint..... I'd have loved to have seen more of Sarah's photos. ( )
  Fliss88 | Dec 3, 2012 |

In William's first book "A man's got to have a hobby" he wrote about family life in the 1960s with humour, affection and honesty. "Worse things happen at sea" does the same for family life in 2000s; written by William and Sarah in a way that many Australians can relate to and enjoy.This book celebrates the wonderful, messy, haphazard things in life -- bringing home babies from hospital, being a friend, a parent, son or daughter, and dog obedience classes. It's about living for twenty years in the family home, raising children there, chasing angry rabbits around the backyard, renovations that never end. It is also about understanding that sometimes you have to say goodbye; that is part of life too.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,805,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible