Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas by John…

Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas

by John Scalzi

2,9703022,858 (3.77)1 / 332
Recently added byLondonLori, liannecollins, private library, WittyLiteraryRef, drmaf, Virago77, wisemetis, CmdrCASh
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (ryvre)
    ryvre: Fans of pop culture nostalgia will love both of these books!
    Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover by Bill Willingham (TomWaitsTables)
    How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Meta-science-fiction at its best
    The Thursday Next Chronicles I-IV by Jasper Fforde (TomWaitsTables)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (amysisson)
    Expendable by James Alan Gardner (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Expendable also follows the lives of space exploration crew members who are considered expendable. The protagonist, Festina Ramos, has a large, port-wine-colored birthmark across her face; as "everyone" knows in the setting, people form less of an emotional attachment to ugly people and therefore care less when they die, making them perfect candidates for almost-certain-death missions.… (more)
    The Blackouts by Robert Brockway (TomWaitsTables)
    Tigerman by Nick Harkaway (RobinWebster)
    RobinWebster: Tigerman and Redshirts are fun, fast-paced, quirky, high-stakes adventures. Both authors navigate ridiculous scenarios with confidence and zest, avoiding silliness through characters with believable, relatable emotions and motivations.
    Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett (grizzly.anderson)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)

English (298)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (301)
I might return to this book someday and wish past self hadn't been quite so dismissive.

If so, I'll be glad that past self took the time to honestly point out that parts of the book (the first third or so, esp. - then with spikes through the second third) were absolute FIVEs and lots of fun.

But past self, who is current self, isn't going to let go of the fact that the book was too caught up in its own cutesy cleverness to lay out a good story for the reader. It's a middling story, told in a ponderous way (hey, I like puzzles, I rated a bunch of the ponderousness five stars) that ended up being a masturbation session by the time the Codas (three of them - comprising the last 20% of the book) took hold.

I hope there are page count standards that made the last 20% a necessary evil. Or maybe the line between novel and novella... I don't know, SOME GOOD REASON - but whatever the case, it out-Fonzi'ed the shark jump and nuked the fridge.

I ended up thinking (past me in the present) that this cute playful wankitude is precisely why we can't have nice things, when it comes to mixing humor into fantasy/sci-fi genres. It activates my gag reflex. I know what you're doing, oh my god - stop belaboring this - who are you writing for now - okay, it's dead now.

All that - and I give it a STRONG 3. This is a fun book up until the Codas - it slumps for a while, recovers in smart fun and interesting ways, then starts stuttering around like a malfunctioning thing.

Hopefully the play seen here will get out of everyone's systems and we'll be able to get back to stories. Remember stories? Old Man's War... now THAT'S a story! ( )
  Ron18 | Feb 17, 2019 |
Writen by John Scalzi, this is any nerd or Reddit user’s dream come true.

This book follows a group of, you guessed it, Redshirts on a very Star Trek like ship. And yes, they do always die.

Quick witted and dry, the humor leads and drives the story – yes, both ends – and keeps you smiling. The end does get very stretched and almost feels like a fan fiction piece, but it brings the story back home.

I recommend this book to everyone. It isn’t the best book, but it is a joy to read. ( )
  Sandeen | Feb 7, 2019 |
Una novela liviana y muy entretenida, es una lectura veloz donde a se agradecen los toques de humor. ( )
  maxtrek | Jan 30, 2019 |
If you're a fan of Star Trek in all its various incarnations and you have a reasonable sense of humor then you will enjoy [Redshirts]. If not don't go here. Scalzi makes fun of the fundamental tropes that have become essential to the Star Trek oeuvre. Probably the biggest achievement though is creating characters who you can care about enough to lift the book out of cleverness. **** ( )
4 vote sibyx | Jan 29, 2019 |
A meta Rosencrantz and Guildenstern for Star Trek (technically a bad imitation of ST) where the characters do become aware of their situation and peril and use the artificiality of it to rescue themselves - and incidentally help others. It had too few jokes for it length, but didn't quite get painful. Though the asteroid should have been left out or insisted upon. ( )
  quondame | Jan 29, 2019 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionscalculated
Getty ImagesPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Patrick NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lutjen, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redshirts is dedicated to the following:

To Wil Wheaton, whom I heart with all the hearty heartiness a heart can heart;

To Mykal Burns, my friend since the TRS-80 days at the Glendora Public Library;

And to Joe Mallozzi and Brad Wright, who took me to space with them.
From the top of the large boulder he sat on, Ensign Tom Davis looked across the expanse of the cave toward Captain Lucius Abernathy, Science Officer Q'eeng and Chief Engineer Paul West perched on a second, larger boulder, and thought, Well, this sucks.
"Someone who knows that no matter what, you don't deal upward on the chain of command," Dahl said. The crewman grinned.
"I don't think luck had much to do with it."
"That's it? 'The Box'?" Dahl said.

"If it makes you feel better to think it's an experimental quantum-based computer with advanced inductive artificial intelligence capacity, whose design origins comes to us from an advanced but extinct race of warrior-engineers, then you can think about it that way," Collins said.

"Is that actually what it is?" Dahl asked.

"Sure," Collins said . . .
“In other words, crew deaths are a feature, not a bug,” Cassaway said, dryly.

Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It's a prestige posting, and Andrew is even more thrilled to be assigned to the ship's xenobiology laboratory, with the chance to serve on "Away Missions" alongside the starship's famous senior officers.

Life couldn't be better... until Andrew begins to realize that (1) every Away Mission involves some kind of lethal confrontation with alien forces, (2) the ship's captain, its chief science officers, and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky always survive these confrontations, and (3) sadly, at least one low-ranked crew member is invariably killed.

Unsurprisingly, the savvier members belowdecks avoid Away Missions at all costs. Then Andrew stumbles on information that completely transforms his and his colleagues' understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is... and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.

Enjoying his assignment with the xenobiology lab on board the prestigious Intrepid, ensign Andrew Dahl worries about casualties suffered by low-ranking officers during away missions before making a shocking discovery about the starship's actual purpose.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,107,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible