Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas by John…

Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas (edition 2013)

by John Scalzi (Author)

2,4372462,537 (3.8)1 / 259
Member:sylviawrigley
Title:Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas
Authors:John Scalzi (Author)
Info:Tor Books (2013), Edition: Reprint, 320 pages

Redshirts by John Scalzi

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (ryvre)
    ryvre: Fans of pop culture nostalgia will love both of these books!
    Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover by Bill Willingham (TomWaitsTables)
    The Thursday Next Chronicles I-IV by Jasper Fforde (TomWaitsTables)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Tigerman by Nick Harkaway (RobinWebster)
    RobinWebster: Tigerman and Redshirts are fun, fast-paced, quirky, high-stakes adventures. Both authors navigate ridiculous scenarios with confidence and zest, avoiding silliness through characters with believable, relatable emotions and motivations.
    How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Meta-science-fiction at its best
    Expendable by James Alan Gardner (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Expendable also follows the lives of space exploration crew members who are considered expendable. The protagonist, Festina Ramos, has a large, port-wine-colored birthmark across her face; as "everyone" knows in the setting, people form less of an emotional attachment to ugly people and therefore care less when they die, making them perfect candidates for almost-certain-death missions.… (more)
    The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett (sturlington)
    The Blackouts by Robert Brockway (TomWaitsTables)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (amysisson)
    Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett (grizzly.anderson)

English (243)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All (246)
Sinceramente, no sé qué puntuación darle.
Me ha gustado (de hecho, la nota sería un 3'5), pero no me ha entusiasmado. ( )
  Owdormer | Feb 26, 2017 |
John Scalzi's Hugo winning novel begins conventionally enough. Ensign John Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union flagship Intrepid. It is a prestigious assignment. But Dahl and his fellow newbies soon discover that things just aren't quite right. Crew hide when senior officers come looking for personnel to join away teams. The away missions always end in tragedy with the untimely death,or disfigurement of a 'redshirt'. But said senior officers survive unscathed. What the ......? Dahl and his colleagues try to find out why this is so, and when they do, embark on a mission to change the universe (or at least their universe).

Guaranteed to bring tears to the eyes of puppies. ( )
  orkydd | Feb 2, 2017 |
Redshirts was a very fast read, light and funny, but with some depth mixed in here and there also. It was an especially nice change of pace after my last couple of books which were slower reads for me. It probably helped that I loved the original Star Trek series, because I was able to appreciate the parody aspect. Reading this book actually made me want to pull out my TOS Blu-ray discs, and it’s the first time in months that I’ve had the slightest urge to even turn on my TV. So far I’m resisting the urge, though! I don’t know if I’d say Star Trek familiarity is a must for appreciating this book, but I do think it would help a lot, especially if you normally like your plots to make sense.

The story is entertaining and the characters are written well, but the plot is pretty crazy. I don’t think the plot was ever intended to make sense; it was just supposed to be fun. In that, it surely succeeded. Despite the plot silliness, the characters themselves really weren’t too difficult to take seriously and even the story didn’t often feel too over-the-top. I liked the characters and cared what happened to them. I’m having trouble explaining my reaction to this book because it somehow felt both silly and not silly at the same time.

Because of my mixed “silly/not-silly” reaction, I went through most of the book undecided about whether the author was going to stick with the crazy plot explanation he appeared to be working toward from the beginning or if he was going to give it a more serious, believable twist. I kept half-expecting Scalzi to come up with an explanation that made actual sense, even while suspecting that wouldn’t happen.

This was my first time reading anything by Scalzi and I think it gave me a good taste of what he’s capable of. It wasn’t just the humor that appealed to me, but the way he made me care about the characters and the way he depicted the friendships between them. I definitely plan to try more of his books at some point in the future. The main reasons I didn’t rate this higher are: 1) I do prefer plots that make sense and 2) it was just so, so short that I was left wanting a little more meat. It was still a very enjoyable read and I’m glad I finally tried it. ( )
2 vote YouKneeK | Jan 22, 2017 |
The main story was good fun but then it went off track a bit with the first couple of "codas" - the final "coda" pulled it back though and added another dimension to the story. ( )
  rlangston | Jan 18, 2017 |
Combine Galaxy Quest, Zap Brannigan and Jasper Fforde and you get an approximation of Redshirts. Simultaneously ridiculous and existential, Scalzi's newest novel is not his best work but certainly not something to be avoided. A working knowledge of common sci-fi tropes would seem to be a prerequisite for reading it but honestly, if you don't already have a grounding in the material you wouldn't be inclined toy read it anyway. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hayden, Patrick NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lutjen, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redshirts is dedicated to the following:

To Will Wheaton, whom I heart with all the hearty heartiness a heart can heart;

To Mykal Burns, my friend since the TRS-80 days at the Glendora Public Library;

And to Joe Mallozzi and Brad Wright, who took me to space with them.
From the top of the large boulder he sat on, Ensign Tom Davis looked across the expanse of the cave toward Captain Lucius Abernathy, Science Officer Q'eeng and Chief Engineer Paul West perched on a second, larger boulder, and thought, Well, this sucks.
"Someone who knows that no matter what, you don't deal upward on the chain of command," Dahl said. The crewman grinned.
"I don't think luck had much to do with it."
"That's it? 'The Box'?" Dahl said.

"If it makes you feel better to think it's an experimental quantum-based computer with advanced inductive artificial intelligence capacity, whose design origins comes to us from an advanced but extinct race of warrior-engineers, then you can think about it that way," Collins said.

"Is that actually what it is?" Dahl asked.

"Sure," Collins said . . .
“In other words, crew deaths are a feature, not a bug,” Cassaway said, dryly.

Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It's a prestige posting, and Andrew is even more thrilled to be assigned to the ship's xenobiology laboratory, with the chance to serve on "Away Missions" alongside the starship's famous senior officers.

Life couldn't be better... until Andrew begins to realize that (1) every Away Mission involves some kind of lethal confrontation with alien forces, (2) the ship's captain, its chief science officers, and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky always survive these confrontations, and (3) sadly, at least one low-ranked crew member is invariably killed.

Unsurprisingly, the savvier members belowdecks avoid Away Missions at all costs. Then Andrew stumbles on information that completely transforms his and his colleagues' understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is... and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.

Enjoying his assignment with the xenobiology lab on board the prestigious Intrepid, ensign Andrew Dahl worries about casualties suffered by low-ranking officers during away missions before making a shocking discovery about the starship's actual purpose.… (more)

338 wanted4 pay6 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,242,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible