Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas by John…

Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas (edition 2012)

by John Scalzi

2,2882352,783 (3.8)1 / 240
Member:jmchshannon
Title:Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas
Authors:John Scalzi
Info:Tor Books (2012), Edition: First Ed, Hardcover, 320 pages

Redshirts by John Scalzi

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (ryvre)
    ryvre: Fans of pop culture nostalgia will love both of these books!
    Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover by Bill Willingham (TomWaitsTables)
    The Thursday Next Chronicles I-IV by Jasper Fforde (TomWaitsTables)
    How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Meta-science-fiction at its best
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Expendable by James Alan Gardner (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Expendable also follows the lives of space exploration crew members who are considered expendable. The protagonist, Festina Ramos, has a large, port-wine-colored birthmark across her face; as "everyone" knows in the setting, people form less of an emotional attachment to ugly people and therefore care less when they die, making them perfect candidates for almost-certain-death missions.… (more)
    The Blackouts by Robert Brockway (TomWaitsTables)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (amysisson)
    Tigerman by Nick Harkaway (RobinWebster)
    RobinWebster: Tigerman and Redshirts are fun, fast-paced, quirky, high-stakes adventures. Both authors navigate ridiculous scenarios with confidence and zest, avoiding silliness through characters with believable, relatable emotions and motivations.
    Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett (grizzly.anderson)

English (232)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (235)
A Star Trek parody, in which the extras who die on away team missions become self-aware, and realize that they are characters in a TV show. In this case, they are actually in a TV show that seems to be a ripoff of Star Trek, which explains the minor differences in names and things, but it’s still very obvious who’s who.

As the poor “redshirts" witness their colleagues being killed in increasingly gruesome and seemingly nonsensical ways, while the captain, first officer and chief medical officer remain untouched, they realize that they better find a way to change "the narrative” before they die.

I feel like I should have loved this, being a big Star Trek fan, and there were funny parts and funny lines; I know I laughed out loud more than once. However, I found the premise wore on me after a while. I liked the premise, and yet it went a bit overboard with the meta-ness. As the characters even say at one point, it would be more fun to talk about these concepts while stoned in a dorm room, rather than read an entire novel about it.

And I have to say, as a Star Trek fan, I did get a bit irritated by all the comments about how they’re in a “bad TV show.” I mean, they describe it as a ripoff of Star Trek, but still. ( )
  catfantastic | Sep 14, 2016 |
This really made me chuckle. It's science fiction, taking the mickey out of the genre, and in particular out of badly written serialisations and television series. A bunch of redshirts (as in, the ones who get killed off in these stories) realise their destiny and seek to change it. It's rather meta, but it also takes the mickey out of itself for being meta. I really recommend it. However, I must say, it's not exactly elegantly written. Without reading more of Scalzi's work I can't say whether that is a deliberate move in order to further emphasise the story, or if it is just plain sloppy. It did grate a little after a while, particularly the clumsy dialogue - he said, she said, and so on. It is still a good book though. ( )
  eclecticdodo | Aug 17, 2016 |
A fun, quick read. Yeah, I could wish there'd been a smidgen more character development—in fact, the three codas were better in that respect than much of the rest of the book. But basically, just read this book and enjoy how it pokes (affectionate) fun at Star Trek. ( )
  Silvernfire | Jul 28, 2016 |
I have very mixed feelings about this. Part of it is because it has so much fun with Star Trek which amused me. Part of it was that it trivialized death and that disturbed me somewhat. (“In other words, crew deaths are a feature, not a bug,” Cassaway said, dryly.) It played with the idea of what is reality and that intrigued me. Overall, I liked it and its codas. I'd read it again, but not for a while.

Before giving it to a young adult, I would suggest reading it for yourself. It does have a good amount of cussing in it; I found it to be appropriate for the characters. There was enough that I did notice it, though.

If you like science fiction or Star Trek, I think you'd find the book amusing. I certainly don't regret the time I spent reading it. It is certainly in my list of books I would recommend to people with any sense of humor and a knowledge of Star Trek. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Jul 16, 2016 |
Redshirts is a pastiche on the original Star Trek. As a premise it's interesting, and Scalzi executes it well. However it's not really enough for a full length book. I can see Redshirts working very well as a 90 minute movie though.

All through Redshirts there are little chuckles and wry smiles. The plot is an observation of the sort of tricks series writers use to keep audience attention.  So Redshirts is a meta story more than it is its own story. Redshirts is full of Scalzi's trademark snarkiness and cleverness, which I happen to like.

If you are a writer or a fan of the original Star Trek, or even someone that despaired at the obvious killing of the Redshirts then you will probably enjoy Redshirts well enough. However it's a book to get from the library rather than one to buy full price. Personally I found the Old Man's War series way better than this. ( )
  jmkemp | Jul 5, 2016 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Patrick NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lutjen, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redshirts is dedicated to the following:

To Will Wheaton, whom I heart with all the hearty heartiness a heart can heart;

To Mykal Burns, my friend since the TRS-80 days at the Glendora Public Library;

And to Joe Mallozzi and Brad Wright, who took me to space with them.
From the top of the large boulder he sat on, Ensign Tom Davis looked across the expanse of the cave toward Captain Lucius Abernathy, Science Officer Q'eeng and Chief Engineer Paul West perched on a second, larger boulder, and thought, Well, this sucks.
"Someone who knows that no matter what, you don't deal upward on the chain of command," Dahl said. The crewman grinned.
"I don't think luck had much to do with it."
"That's it? 'The Box'?" Dahl said.

"If it makes you feel better to think it's an experimental quantum-based computer with advanced inductive artificial intelligence capacity, whose design origins comes to us from an advanced but extinct race of warrior-engineers, then you can think about it that way," Collins said.

"Is that actually what it is?" Dahl asked.

"Sure," Collins said . . .
“In other words, crew deaths are a feature, not a bug,” Cassaway said, dryly.

Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It's a prestige posting, and Andrew is even more thrilled to be assigned to the ship's xenobiology laboratory, with the chance to serve on "Away Missions" alongside the starship's famous senior officers.

Life couldn't be better... until Andrew begins to realize that (1) every Away Mission involves some kind of lethal confrontation with alien forces, (2) the ship's captain, its chief science officers, and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky always survive these confrontations, and (3) sadly, at least one low-ranked crew member is invariably killed.

Unsurprisingly, the savvier members belowdecks avoid Away Missions at all costs. Then Andrew stumbles on information that completely transforms his and his colleagues' understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is... and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.

Enjoying his assignment with the xenobiology lab on board the prestigious Intrepid, ensign Andrew Dahl worries about casualties suffered by low-ranking officers during away missions before making a shocking discovery about the starship's actual purpose.… (more)

338 wanted4 pay6 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,262,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible