Redshirts by John Scalzi

Collections:Your library, ebooks
Rating:****1/2
Tags:science fiction, 2012

Redshirts by John Scalzi

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (ryvre)
    ryvre: Fans of pop culture nostalgia will love both of these books!
    Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover by Bill Willingham (one-horse.library)
    The Thursday Next Chronicles I-IV by Jasper Fforde (one-horse.library)
    The Blackouts by Robert Brockway (one-horse.library)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (amysisson)
    Expendable by James Alan Gardner (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Expendable also follows the lives of space exploration crew members who are considered expendable. The protagonist, Festina Ramos, has a large, port-wine-colored birthmark across her face; as "everyone" knows in the setting, people form less of an emotional attachment to ugly people and therefore care less when they die, making them perfect candidates for almost-certain-death missions.… (more)
    How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Meta-science-fiction at its best
    Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett (grizzly.anderson)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)

English (167)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (170)
If you have ever watched Star Trek and seen unnamed security people in redshirts die horrible deaths on away missions, then this book is for you. This was the funniest, sarcastic and yet clearly pointed l book I have read this summer. ( )
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |
Quite humorous spoof on Star Trek, how someone from the away team always gets killed. Didn't think that Coda 1 worked very well; Coda 2 and Coda 3 were better. IMHO -- not deserving to be a Hugo winner. ( )
  skraft001 | Nov 5, 2014 |
A fun read, taking the central conceit of the expendable extras in a SF show becoming aware of their fate to its logical extreme and beyond. ( )
  adzebill | Oct 29, 2014 |
What can I say, it's called Redshirts, I'm a very big fan of almost everything Star Trek. So I had to read this.

The plot. The UU Ship Intrepid is the flagship of the UU fleet and it seems to go through more than its share of lowly ranked people. So Andy, a new Ensign on the Intrepid and his fellow newbies on board want to find out why so many of the new low ranked people die, and why in general their entire ship is so screwy. There is more plot than that as well, and it's pretty awesome, but it's also sort of a big honkin' spoiler.

So, I'll talk about my reactions to the book. Yikes to start. I haven't read something quite this mind bending since I read Q-Squared by Peter David. This book (and Q-Squared) is what Science Fiction should be, hilarious, doesn't take itself too too seriously, and yet it takes itself seriously enough that it makes the reader think.

In amongst the funny stuff, and the overblown stuff (Scalzi seems to have a thing with people taking away the pants of his characters to achieve a goal) there are interesting philosophical and faith questions too.

I also didn't think I'd like two out of the three codas since I'm not crazy about reading a story written in second person or in third person present. But, Scalizi's prose pulled me into the codas and reading those tenses wasn't bad at all.

A great book that everyone, Trekkie or not, should read. ( )
  DanieXJ | Oct 26, 2014 |
This book was good, but I didn't like it much. It was too meta or something. The final coda was amazing and did some wonderful things, but overall it didn't rock my world. I didn't get the humour, it felt haphazard and strange. I liked the concepts Scalzi was playing with but the execution didn't sell me on it. The dialogue was off sometimes, too, in ways I can't really explain and won't have to if anyone else did the audiobook. Turns out 'said' isn't as invisible as everyone thinks.

It was ok, but I think I need to try another Scalzi novel to get the hype around him, because this one isn't quite up my alley. ( )
  heaven_star | Oct 20, 2014 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Patrick NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lutjen, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redshirts is dedicated to the following:

To Will Wheaton, whom I heart with all the hearty heartiness a heart can heart;

To Mykal Burns, my friend since the TRS-80 days at the Glendora Public Library;

And to Joe Mallozzi and Brad Wright, who took me to space with them.
From the top of the large boulder he sat on, Ensign Tom Davis looked across the expanse of the cave toward Captain Lucius Abernathy, Science Officer Q'eeng and Chief Engineer Paul West perched on a second, larger boulder, and thought, Well, this sucks.
"Someone who knows that no matter what, you don't deal upward on the chain of command," Dahl said. The crewman grinned.
"I don't think luck had much to do with it."
"That's it? 'The Box'?" Dahl said.

"If it makes you feel better to think it's an experimental quantum-based computer with advanced inductive artificial intelligence capacity, whose design origins comes to us from an advanced but extinct race of warrior-engineers, then you can think about it that way," Collins said.

"Is that actually what it is?" Dahl asked.

"Sure," Collins said . . .

Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It's a prestige posting, and Andrew is even more thrilled to be assigned to the ship's xenobiology laboratory, with the chance to serve on "Away Missions" alongside the starship's famous senior officers.

Life couldn't be better... until Andrew begins to realize that (1) every Away Mission involves some kind of lethal confrontation with alien forces, (2) the ship's captain, its chief science officers, and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky always survive these confrontations, and (3) sadly, at least one low-ranked crew member is invariably killed.

Unsurprisingly, the savvier members belowdecks avoid Away Missions at all costs. Then Andrew stumbles on information that completely transforms his and his colleagues' understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is... and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.

Enjoying his assignment with the xenobiology lab on board the prestigious Intrepid, ensign Andrew Dahl worries about casualties suffered by low-ranking officers during away missions before making a shocking discovery about the starship's actual purpose.… (more)

317 wanted3 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,881,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible