Redshirts by John Scalzi

Collections:Your library, ebooks
Rating:****1/2
Tags:science fiction, 2012

Redshirts by John Scalzi

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (ryvre)
    ryvre: Fans of pop culture nostalgia will love both of these books!
    Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover by Bill Willingham (one-horse.library)
    The Thursday Next Chronicles I-IV by Jasper Fforde (one-horse.library)
    The Blackouts by Robert Brockway (one-horse.library)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (amysisson)
    Expendable by James Alan Gardner (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Expendable also follows the lives of space exploration crew members who are considered expendable. The protagonist, Festina Ramos, has a large, port-wine-colored birthmark across her face; as "everyone" knows in the setting, people form less of an emotional attachment to ugly people and therefore care less when they die, making them perfect candidates for almost-certain-death missions.… (more)
    How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Meta-science-fiction at its best
    Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett (grizzly.anderson)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)

English (154)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (157)
Summary: Ensign Andrew Dahl's first posting in the Universal Union is to the starship Intrepid, as a member of the science team in the Xenobiology lab. Dahl's pretty excited about it, but he hasn't been on board very long before he starts noticing some very strange things. Things like Away Missions that have an unusually high mortality rate - except it's always some low-ranking crewman that gets killed, and never one of the senior officers (although Lieutenant Karensky does seem to get severely injured - and miraculously healed - surprisingly frequently). Most of his fellow crewmates deal with this by avoiding the senior officers at all costs and trying not to think about it too hard, but Dahl and a few of his fellow new crew members start doing some digging to uncover what's really going on - and the answer just might be stranger than any one of them could have imagined.

Review: Awesome. Totally awesome. I enjoyed the heck out of this. I was raised on Star Trek - not TOS, but my dad got me started on TNG at an early age - so this book was right up my alley. It was funny, it was clever, and it was meta in a way that was funny and clever and not meta in the way that makes me want to throw things (good job, too, since I listened to it on my phone). I also kind of love that because of the meta-ness, it can be read on multiple different levels. On the surface, it's a fun and fast-paced sci-fi action adventure about these guys on this weird ship trying not to die, and you can read it just for that and it works just fine. But on a deeper level, it also gets into ideas of free will and fate and coincidence and destiny… and then on an even deeper level, it starts asking some questions about the nature of fiction vs. the nature of reality, and authorial intent, and the relationships between writers and their characters and their readers. It's pretty impressive that Scalzi can pull all that off while still keeping the story up and running and packed with jokes. Even some of the things that I might ordinarily complain about - some of the secondary characters felt a little flat, some of the plot twists seemed kind of arbitrary or convenient - even those things were almost certainly done purposefully, because it all ties back into the central theme of the book. (Either that, or Scalzi very cleverly found a theme that could be used as the perfect cloaking device for any flaws in his story… which is still an impressive achievement.)

Wil Wheaton does a great job with the narration for this book. He doesn't necessarily have the most varied voices or the smoothest narration out there, but he's a natural fit for a book about a young ensign assigned to a spaceship, and I have to imagine that his experiences practically growing up on the set of TNG lent a little extra bite to some of Dahl's sarcasm and incredulity. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: Recommended for Star Trek fans (primarily ones who loved one or more of the series, although if you come to Star Trek fandom from the recent movies: welcome! You'll probably still have fun with this book.) I'm not going to say it's absolutely necessary to be a die-hard fan, but you need to be fairly familiar with the world in order to get most of the jokes… and they're jokes worth getting. Basically, if you "get" the title, you should read the book. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Aug 5, 2014 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Aug 5, 2014 |
Pretty complex, with a few stories on top of one another. I liked the space layer better than the today layer, and the different points of view and voices and styles worked in some places but not so well in others. Once you get there, the premise is fascinating-multiple realities in multiple times but all parallel and all connected. However the journey there was bumpy in places. Solid writing, great humor. ( )
  eenerd | Jul 30, 2014 |
Tagline: They Were Expendable...Until They Started Comparing Notes

This one was a ton of fun. In a nutshell, the newest junior crew members of the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid come to realize that their life expectancy is generally measured in weeks, unlike the officers, and they start to investigate why. The explanation involves clandestine meetings in storage tunnels, time travel, and trips to Los Angeles. Can they avoid going on Away Missions long enough to solve the mystery? ( )
  Pat_F. | Jul 25, 2014 |
Awesome, like If On a Winter's Night a Traveler awesome, though not nearly equally as awesome. Really creative work.

Okay, got it. 50 percent the above named book, 50 percent slaughterhouse five, 20 percent star trek, 10 percent OK I am just being silly. And an extra 7 layer burrito, and that's all. Except for also a water, no ice please! ( )
  mortensengarth | Jul 17, 2014 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Patrick NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lutjen, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redshirts is dedicated to the following:

To Will Wheaton, whom I heart with all the hearty heartiness a heart can heart;

To Mykal Burns, my friend since the TRS-80 days at the Glendora Public Library;

And to Joe Mallozzi and Brad Wright, who took me to space with them.
From the top of the large boulder he sat on, Ensign Tom Davis looked across the expanse of the cave toward Captain Lucius Abernathy, Science Officer Q'eeng and Chief Engineer Paul West perched on a second, larger boulder, and thought, Well, this sucks.
"Someone who knows that no matter what, you don't deal upward on the chain of command," Dahl said. The crewman grinned.
"I don't think luck had much to do with it."
"That's it? 'The Box'?" Dahl said.

"If it makes you feel better to think it's an experimental quantum-based computer with advanced inductive artificial intelligence capacity, whose design origins comes to us from an advanced but extinct race of warrior-engineers, then you can think about it that way," Collins said.

"Is that actually what it is?" Dahl asked.

"Sure," Collins said . . .

Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It's a prestige posting, and Andrew is even more thrilled to be assigned to the ship's xenobiology laboratory, with the chance to serve on "Away Missions" alongside the starship's famous senior officers.

Life couldn't be better... until Andrew begins to realize that (1) every Away Mission involves some kind of lethal confrontation with alien forces, (2) the ship's captain, its chief science officers, and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky always survive these confrontations, and (3) sadly, at least one low-ranked crew member is invariably killed.

Unsurprisingly, the savvier members belowdecks avoid Away Missions at all costs. Then Andrew stumbles on information that completely transforms his and his colleagues' understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is... and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.

Enjoying his assignment with the xenobiology lab on board the prestigious Intrepid, ensign Andrew Dahl worries about casualties suffered by low-ranking officers during away missions before making a shocking discovery about the starship's actual purpose.… (more)

317 wanted3 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,124,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible