Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas by John…

Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas (edition 2012)

by John Scalzi, Scalzi

Info:
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

Redshirts by John Scalzi

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (ryvre)
    ryvre: Fans of pop culture nostalgia will love both of these books!
    Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover by Bill Willingham (one-horse.library)
    The Thursday Next Chronicles I-IV by Jasper Fforde (one-horse.library)
    The Blackouts by Robert Brockway (one-horse.library)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (amysisson)
    Expendable by James Alan Gardner (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Expendable also follows the lives of space exploration crew members who are considered expendable. The protagonist, Festina Ramos, has a large, port-wine-colored birthmark across her face; as "everyone" knows in the setting, people form less of an emotional attachment to ugly people and therefore care less when they die, making them perfect candidates for almost-certain-death missions.… (more)
    How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Meta-science-fiction at its best
    Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett (grizzly.anderson)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)

English (163)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (166)
This book was good, but I didn't like it much. It was too meta or something. The final coda was amazing and did some wonderful things, but overall it didn't rock my world. I didn't get the humour, it felt haphazard and strange. I liked the concepts Scalzi was playing with but the execution didn't sell me on it. The dialogue was off sometimes, too, in ways I can't really explain and won't have to if anyone else did the audiobook. Turns out 'said' isn't as invisible as everyone thinks.

It was ok, but I think I need to try another Scalzi novel to get the hype around him, because this one isn't quite up my alley. ( )

heaven_star | Oct 20, 2014 |
As the title (and cover) suggests, this is a science fiction book mocking the Star Trek trope of the 'redshirt' - the anonymous crew member that appears in one episode just so he or she can be killed in some nasty way. On the surface, the book is about such crew members and how they strive to avoid their fate - or is it? Is it about the really familiar redshirts, or about the writing of such scifi shows, or something else all together? Honestly, this is probably too deep for me, I couldn't tell. The story about the 'redshirts' was fun and interesting, but I wonder if I really got what Scalzi was trying to say. ( )
  Karlstar | Oct 1, 2014 |
The novella part of the books is a quick and enjoyable read. Its funny, it moves quickly and you genuinely want to see how it is resolved.
The only real issue I have with it is the random and unresolved twist at the end. I really do not like it when pointless plot points are thrown in and then unresolved, but when you make it a twist it makes me cranky.
The codas (3 related short stories) I could have lived without. Nothing wrong with them per se, but they could have been left off, they add nothing to the narrative and the story stands just fine without them.
I will read the novella again. Its funny. And it has a sort of mind bending premise that I like.

blatherlikeme | Sep 28, 2014 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Patrick NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lutjen, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redshirts is dedicated to the following:

To Will Wheaton, whom I heart with all the hearty heartiness a heart can heart;

To Mykal Burns, my friend since the TRS-80 days at the Glendora Public Library;

And to Joe Mallozzi and Brad Wright, who took me to space with them.
From the top of the large boulder he sat on, Ensign Tom Davis looked across the expanse of the cave toward Captain Lucius Abernathy, Science Officer Q'eeng and Chief Engineer Paul West perched on a second, larger boulder, and thought, Well, this sucks.
"Someone who knows that no matter what, you don't deal upward on the chain of command," Dahl said. The crewman grinned.
"I don't think luck had much to do with it."
"That's it? 'The Box'?" Dahl said.

"If it makes you feel better to think it's an experimental quantum-based computer with advanced inductive artificial intelligence capacity, whose design origins comes to us from an advanced but extinct race of warrior-engineers, then you can think about it that way," Collins said.

"Is that actually what it is?" Dahl asked.

"Sure," Collins said . . .

Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It's a prestige posting, and Andrew is even more thrilled to be assigned to the ship's xenobiology laboratory, with the chance to serve on "Away Missions" alongside the starship's famous senior officers.

Life couldn't be better... until Andrew begins to realize that (1) every Away Mission involves some kind of lethal confrontation with alien forces, (2) the ship's captain, its chief science officers, and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky always survive these confrontations, and (3) sadly, at least one low-ranked crew member is invariably killed.

Unsurprisingly, the savvier members belowdecks avoid Away Missions at all costs. Then Andrew stumbles on information that completely transforms his and his colleagues' understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is... and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.

Enjoying his assignment with the xenobiology lab on board the prestigious Intrepid, ensign Andrew Dahl worries about casualties suffered by low-ranking officers during away missions before making a shocking discovery about the starship's actual purpose.… (more)

317 wanted3 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,412,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible