Redshirts by John Scalzi

Info:Gollancz (2012), Kindle Edition, 318 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013 challenge

Redshirts by John Scalzi

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (ryvre)
    ryvre: Fans of pop culture nostalgia will love both of these books!
    Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover by Bill Willingham (TomWaitsTables)
    The Thursday Next Chronicles I-IV by Jasper Fforde (TomWaitsTables)
    How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Meta-science-fiction at its best
    Expendable by James Alan Gardner (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Expendable also follows the lives of space exploration crew members who are considered expendable. The protagonist, Festina Ramos, has a large, port-wine-colored birthmark across her face; as "everyone" knows in the setting, people form less of an emotional attachment to ugly people and therefore care less when they die, making them perfect candidates for almost-certain-death missions.… (more)
    The Blackouts by Robert Brockway (TomWaitsTables)
    Tigerman by Nick Harkaway (RobinWebster)
    RobinWebster: Tigerman and Redshirts are fun, fast-paced, quirky, high-stakes adventures. Both authors navigate ridiculous scenarios with confidence and zest, avoiding silliness through characters with believable, relatable emotions and motivations.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (amysisson)
    Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett (grizzly.anderson)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)

English (189)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (192)
Started off thinking this was a bit weak, but it got a lot better. 4 stars because he took the metafiction further than I thought he could without everything collapsing. ( )
  moopet | Jul 25, 2015 |
I’ve been reading Scalzi’s blog “Whatever” for a few years now but I had never read any of his novels. This one won the Nebula Award in 2012 so I figured it was a good place to start. I have to say that this is a really clever idea but I would expect no less from a man who comes up with clever things to say almost every day on his blog. It is also well-written (although not well edited) and humane.
Ensign Andy Dahl has just graduated from space school and he has been assigned to the Intrepid, the flagship of the Universal Union (dub U as it is referred to). Andy is a little older than the usual graduate but that is because he spent three years as a seminary student on a planet called Forshan that has four different dialects. Andy is fluent in all four. That will become relevant in the plot. While he is waiting for the shuttle to the Intrepid he meets three other ensigns, Duvall, Finn and Hester, who are transfers from other ships. Also joining them is Andy’s friend from school, Jimmy Hanson. They are all excited to be on the flagship; at least they were until they learn the fatality stats for away missions. On almost every away mission some crew member dies and quite often they are new members of the crew. Seasoned members of the crew know to disappear when the captain or other senior officer pays a visit so they are seldom chosen for away missions. Other things are pretty strange too. The xenobiology lab where Andy works has a magic box that solves problems just in the amount of time the senior officers have given them. There is a crewman who looks like a Yeti who hides in the tunnel system. One senior officer, Lieutenant Kerensky, gets severely injured on almost every mission he goes on but he survives. The crewman who looks like a Yeti, Jenkins, has an idea about what is going on but it’s crazy. Jenkins thinks that the Intrepid and its crew are in a science fiction TV show. As time progresses his idea begins to seem saner of Dahl and his buddies. Then they have to figure out a way to stop it before they all get killed.
The title refers to the term in Hollywood for extras that are given small parts on shows only to be killed. I learn something new from reading all the time.
I referred in the introductory paragraph to the fact that the book was not well edited. I found at least three errors as I was reading that were glaringly obvious. One time Kerensky’s name was used when it was clearly Jenkins speaking. From a reputable publisher like Tor I expect better. ( )
  gypsysmom | Jul 24, 2015 |
Very amusing take on fiction and reality interacting. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Funny as hell, and the writting is top notch, I simply dig Scalzi writting :)
  kinwolf | Jul 6, 2015 |
Ha.... how can any Trekkie fan not enjoy this fun romp. Having grown up on all generations of the Star Trek franchise - and yes, some of them have been rather cheesy in their story lines - I found listening to this audiobook narrated by Wil Wheaton to be highly entertaining, even when the story starts to get metaphysical and just plain meta. I giggled and chortled my way through the story and had great fun when the "Narrative" was explained and visions of the original Star Trek shows popped up in my mind. The first coda was just a tad too strange for me and really didn't work all that well in audio format. Not surprising, considering it is supposed to represent blog postings. The second coda was better and provided some interesting insight. The third coda was just darn perfect. Loved it! Made me smile and cry at the same time.

Overall, fantastic fun presentation that appeals to my humorous side by taking a fun, satirical dig at Hollywood and the wonderful TV industry while opening the doors of my mind to memories of old sci-fi TV shows and movies I have watched. Escapism with an interesting meta angle to it. ( )
  lkernagh | Jul 5, 2015 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Patrick NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lutjen, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redshirts is dedicated to the following:

To Will Wheaton, whom I heart with all the hearty heartiness a heart can heart;

To Mykal Burns, my friend since the TRS-80 days at the Glendora Public Library;

And to Joe Mallozzi and Brad Wright, who took me to space with them.
From the top of the large boulder he sat on, Ensign Tom Davis looked across the expanse of the cave toward Captain Lucius Abernathy, Science Officer Q'eeng and Chief Engineer Paul West perched on a second, larger boulder, and thought, Well, this sucks.
"Someone who knows that no matter what, you don't deal upward on the chain of command," Dahl said. The crewman grinned.
"I don't think luck had much to do with it."
"That's it? 'The Box'?" Dahl said.

"If it makes you feel better to think it's an experimental quantum-based computer with advanced inductive artificial intelligence capacity, whose design origins comes to us from an advanced but extinct race of warrior-engineers, then you can think about it that way," Collins said.

"Is that actually what it is?" Dahl asked.

"Sure," Collins said . . .

Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It's a prestige posting, and Andrew is even more thrilled to be assigned to the ship's xenobiology laboratory, with the chance to serve on "Away Missions" alongside the starship's famous senior officers.

Life couldn't be better... until Andrew begins to realize that (1) every Away Mission involves some kind of lethal confrontation with alien forces, (2) the ship's captain, its chief science officers, and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky always survive these confrontations, and (3) sadly, at least one low-ranked crew member is invariably killed.

Unsurprisingly, the savvier members belowdecks avoid Away Missions at all costs. Then Andrew stumbles on information that completely transforms his and his colleagues' understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is... and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.

Enjoying his assignment with the xenobiology lab on board the prestigious Intrepid, ensign Andrew Dahl worries about casualties suffered by low-ranking officers during away missions before making a shocking discovery about the starship's actual purpose.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,394,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible