Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas by John…

Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas (edition 2013)

by John Scalzi

1,7051724,171 (3.81)1 / 197
Member:mamzel
Title:Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas
Authors:John Scalzi
Info:Tor Books (2013), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:2013, Literary Lit (books in book)
Tags:spec fic, screen play, AD, 13 in 13

Redshirts by John Scalzi

Recently added bykwurst, Pigletto, dom_oh, lazyhedwig, private library, quenstalof, plaeski, BomboChipolata, Richard.Fox
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (ryvre)
    ryvre: Fans of pop culture nostalgia will love both of these books!
    Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover by Bill Willingham (one-horse.library)
    The Thursday Next Chronicles I-IV by Jasper Fforde (one-horse.library)
    The Blackouts by Robert Brockway (one-horse.library)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (amysisson)
    Expendable by James Alan Gardner (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Expendable also follows the lives of space exploration crew members who are considered expendable. The protagonist, Festina Ramos, has a large, port-wine-colored birthmark across her face; as "everyone" knows in the setting, people form less of an emotional attachment to ugly people and therefore care less when they die, making them perfect candidates for almost-certain-death missions.… (more)
    How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Meta-science-fiction at its best
    Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett (grizzly.anderson)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)

English (169)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (172)
Snappy dialog combined with an over-the-top plot makes for a fast, witty read. I knew going in that this was a play on the old disposable extras meme on the Star Trek TV show, but I had no idea how Scalzi would be playing it. As it turns out, I got a real kick out of the story structure. Not very deep - but highly entertaining. I give it 4 solid stars. ( )
  ScoLgo | Dec 20, 2014 |
3.5/5
I thought this was a really cute book. As a pretty dedicated trekie I had to listen to the audiobook once I found out it was read by Will. He does a really good job bringing the story to life and delivering the punchlines. What brought me out of the story was the author's lack of variety in writing his dialogue. Many times it reads like "----", said A. "----", said B. and so on. It may not have bothered me if I was actually reading it, but as an audiobook it was really distracting. But other than that I really liked the story. I'm a sucker for narcissistic characters so I have a soft spot for Keresnsky. I really loved his drunk scene near the beginning of the story. I think I'll re-read it in the future. ( )
  plaeski | Dec 16, 2014 |
Wow. Again, Scalzi shows to me what good writing really is. Maybe it's the fact that I am big Star Trek fan, but I loved this book so very much. I loved the premise, the overall philosophy, and even how gleefully meta it was.

And getting to listen to Wil Wheaton read it to me? That was just icing on the cake. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
If you have ever watched Star Trek and seen unnamed security people in redshirts die horrible deaths on away missions, then this book is for you. This was the funniest, sarcastic and yet clearly pointed l book I have read this summer. ( )
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |
Quite humorous spoof on Star Trek, how someone from the away team always gets killed. Didn't think that Coda 1 worked very well; Coda 2 and Coda 3 were better. IMHO -- not deserving to be a Hugo winner. ( )
  skraft001 | Nov 5, 2014 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Patrick NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lutjen, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redshirts is dedicated to the following:

To Will Wheaton, whom I heart with all the hearty heartiness a heart can heart;

To Mykal Burns, my friend since the TRS-80 days at the Glendora Public Library;

And to Joe Mallozzi and Brad Wright, who took me to space with them.
From the top of the large boulder he sat on, Ensign Tom Davis looked across the expanse of the cave toward Captain Lucius Abernathy, Science Officer Q'eeng and Chief Engineer Paul West perched on a second, larger boulder, and thought, Well, this sucks.
"Someone who knows that no matter what, you don't deal upward on the chain of command," Dahl said. The crewman grinned.
"I don't think luck had much to do with it."
"That's it? 'The Box'?" Dahl said.

"If it makes you feel better to think it's an experimental quantum-based computer with advanced inductive artificial intelligence capacity, whose design origins comes to us from an advanced but extinct race of warrior-engineers, then you can think about it that way," Collins said.

"Is that actually what it is?" Dahl asked.

"Sure," Collins said . . .

Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It's a prestige posting, and Andrew is even more thrilled to be assigned to the ship's xenobiology laboratory, with the chance to serve on "Away Missions" alongside the starship's famous senior officers.

Life couldn't be better... until Andrew begins to realize that (1) every Away Mission involves some kind of lethal confrontation with alien forces, (2) the ship's captain, its chief science officers, and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky always survive these confrontations, and (3) sadly, at least one low-ranked crew member is invariably killed.

Unsurprisingly, the savvier members belowdecks avoid Away Missions at all costs. Then Andrew stumbles on information that completely transforms his and his colleagues' understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is... and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.

Enjoying his assignment with the xenobiology lab on board the prestigious Intrepid, ensign Andrew Dahl worries about casualties suffered by low-ranking officers during away missions before making a shocking discovery about the starship's actual purpose.… (more)

317 wanted3 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,452,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible