Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas by John…

Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas (edition 2013)

by John Scalzi

1,7691783,979 (3.8)1 / 201
Member:mamzel
Title:Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas
Authors:John Scalzi
Info:Tor Books (2013), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:2013, Literary Lit (books in book)
Tags:spec fic, screen play, AD, 13 in 13

Redshirts by John Scalzi

Recently added bynielsnej, simd, Verkruissen, Vasher, private library, nuclearmse, TwoHeavens, Decora, fcjuvenc, antvicino
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (ryvre)
    ryvre: Fans of pop culture nostalgia will love both of these books!
    Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover by Bill Willingham (one-horse.library)
    The Thursday Next Chronicles I-IV by Jasper Fforde (one-horse.library)
    The Blackouts by Robert Brockway (one-horse.library)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (amysisson)
    Expendable by James Alan Gardner (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Expendable also follows the lives of space exploration crew members who are considered expendable. The protagonist, Festina Ramos, has a large, port-wine-colored birthmark across her face; as "everyone" knows in the setting, people form less of an emotional attachment to ugly people and therefore care less when they die, making them perfect candidates for almost-certain-death missions.… (more)
    How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Meta-science-fiction at its best
    Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett (grizzly.anderson)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)

English (175)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (178)
This was a lot of fun to read. I plowed through it in a few days, which was a refreshing change of pace. I'd recommend it if you're looking for something to poke fun at the idea that writing (especially bad writing) can be fatal.

I also appreciate how, at the end, Scalzi took the time to make me actually care about the silly, fun thing I'd just read. ( )
  JenLamoureux | Feb 22, 2015 |
I love books that make me laugh out loud in public places, like airplanes. It was a great alternative reality story. Was not expecting it to make the twist that it did. Brilliant!!
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
This book answers the question, "What does Star Trek look like from the perspective of the anonymous expendable crew?"

The problem with me trying to review this book is that the things I disliked about it are all sort of spoilers. I thought I knew where the story was going, and I was really excited to see the way it played out. Instead, it went in a direction I didn't like so much.

To be less vague, the story gets a bit Meta and self-referential. It even breaks the fourth wall. If that's your bag, give it a shot. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
The crew of a Trek-homage starship start to notice the high attrition rate around certain bridge officers, and develop theories (and superstitions) to explain it. Why is their world this way? Is it chance, or was it perhaps... designed? Some even say... written that way? What starts as a tongue-in-cheek romp takes a surprisingly deep and intelligent turn into very meta territory, with smart thoughts on writing, identity, destiny, autonomy, and free will. Also, John Scalzi is one of the coolest, smartest people on the internet. http://whatever.scalzi.com/
  Clevermonkey | Jan 14, 2015 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Patrick NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lutjen, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redshirts is dedicated to the following:

To Will Wheaton, whom I heart with all the hearty heartiness a heart can heart;

To Mykal Burns, my friend since the TRS-80 days at the Glendora Public Library;

And to Joe Mallozzi and Brad Wright, who took me to space with them.
From the top of the large boulder he sat on, Ensign Tom Davis looked across the expanse of the cave toward Captain Lucius Abernathy, Science Officer Q'eeng and Chief Engineer Paul West perched on a second, larger boulder, and thought, Well, this sucks.
"Someone who knows that no matter what, you don't deal upward on the chain of command," Dahl said. The crewman grinned.
"I don't think luck had much to do with it."
"That's it? 'The Box'?" Dahl said.

"If it makes you feel better to think it's an experimental quantum-based computer with advanced inductive artificial intelligence capacity, whose design origins comes to us from an advanced but extinct race of warrior-engineers, then you can think about it that way," Collins said.

"Is that actually what it is?" Dahl asked.

"Sure," Collins said . . .

Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It's a prestige posting, and Andrew is even more thrilled to be assigned to the ship's xenobiology laboratory, with the chance to serve on "Away Missions" alongside the starship's famous senior officers.

Life couldn't be better... until Andrew begins to realize that (1) every Away Mission involves some kind of lethal confrontation with alien forces, (2) the ship's captain, its chief science officers, and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky always survive these confrontations, and (3) sadly, at least one low-ranked crew member is invariably killed.

Unsurprisingly, the savvier members belowdecks avoid Away Missions at all costs. Then Andrew stumbles on information that completely transforms his and his colleagues' understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is... and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.

Enjoying his assignment with the xenobiology lab on board the prestigious Intrepid, ensign Andrew Dahl worries about casualties suffered by low-ranking officers during away missions before making a shocking discovery about the starship's actual purpose.… (more)

317 wanted4 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,143,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible