Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness Before Dawn -…

Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness Before Dawn - Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by J. A. London

1591975,058 (3.53)None
Member:DarkFaerieTales
Title:Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness Before Dawn - Trilogy)
Authors:J. A. London
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:***

Darkness Before Dawn by J. A. London

I was attracted to this book by (let's be honest) a great cover and the intriguing concept of humans living under vampire overlords. For all its promise, this book kinda fell flat for me. I felt the characters could have been better developed and the dystopian world the characters inhabited could have been fleshed out more. So, while interesting, this book didn't really live up to its potential and I'm not certain I will continue reading the series. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Oct 12, 2014 |
I checked this book out as an ebook from my library's ebook offerings, hoping for just a quick light read -- and so, based upon my expectations, I'm pretty satisfied with what I got.

Dawn is a teenager living in a dystopian future where, following the events of a long war, vampires have pretty much claimed dominion over humans, who now live sequestered in a handful of cities protected by large walls. An uneasy truce exists between the two species. In order to secure peace, humans must collaborate with the Old Families that rule over the vampires and voluntarily donate blood to them. In return, the Old Families prevent their vampire underlings from attacking and killing humans -- or at least they're supposed to, but there always seems to be attacks within the city and one of Dawn's responsibilities, as emissary of the humans, is to negotiate the terms and reinforcement of the peace treaty with Old Family vampire Valentine.

But things start getting complicated pretty fast. Dawn is young, really young, and even though her parents tried to teach her everything they knew before they died, the entire city doubts her ability to communicate effectively with the feared vampire leader. On top of that, there is a growing movement to cease donating blood to the vampires altogether -- an action which would have consequences that Dawn is horrified to think about. Her boyfriend has been growing distant, and one night, after an ill-advised trip out to a party after which she and her friend are nearly killed by some rogue vampires, she is saved by Victor -- a mysterious young man that she finds irresistible. But what secrets is he hiding?

I enjoyed reading about the politics of the VampHu treaty, and the way that society has developed to exist on such uneasy terms. Dawn was not the most lovable character, and was often quite annoying, but many of the side characters were interesting if sometimes a bit shallow. I liked Victor very much, and Sin -- who appears later on -- was also fun to read. The writing was so-so: passable for a quick read like this despite some shaky dialogue and lacking good description.

The action carries the story along at a brisk pace and there are many questions left unanswered by the end. I'll be reading the next book immediately to find out what happens. ( )
  vombatiformes | Apr 8, 2014 |
MEHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Review to come. ( )
  seekayou | Aug 20, 2013 |
Darkness Before Dawn is a dystopian-paranormal-romance book that takes place in Denver. The book starts off with Dawn, the protagonist, going off to party with her best friend Tegan. The readers quickly learn that Dawn isn't your-every-day average teenager but instead a delegate for Denver. Essentially it is Dawns duty to be an ambassador and communicator between the humans and vampire relations. This is a job that has Dawn both liked and hated. It offer to her by Murdoch Valentine, an ancient noble vampire, after her parents have passed. Dawn, at the start of the novel, has the perfect boyfriend : Michael and is later introduced, and falls in love, with a vampire = creating a love triangle.

Those who are keen for the paranormal romance genre will be intrigue by this book. The writing, a mother-and son duo, flows pleasantly with the quick paste of the novel. This novel does have a moment of dullness. I did not find myself slumping through it or having to takes long breaks from it.

Dawn is quite mature for a YA genre but it makes sense with her background. I know some people complain about her mature-ness but I actually quite like it. Dawn is a character who--throughout the entire novel--I did not find myself hating. She cares deeply for those in her inner circle and worries a lot about others.

However, I have mixed emotions about Michael. Michael and Dawn do work well as a couple but some of the things he did pissed me off and made me pity Dawn. However, there were times when I thought they were paired adorable together. However, I am rooting for Dawn X Tegan not Michael X Tegan.

The character called Sin was awesome...and I wished there were more scenes with him in it.

Problems I had with this book are : a) I found the antagonists scenes were few and there should have been more. b) Things would happen...the chapter would end...and then the readers are left wondering how the protagonist got from point a to point b.

Things I enjoyed about this book: a) fast paste b) written smoothly and flowed easily throughout the entire novel c) Sin d) Victor e) idea of dystopian world that has vampire in it d) character development between Victor and Dawn.

I also really liked Faith and Richard. I hope there is more of them in the next book.

The reason I gave it 4 out of 5 is that while it is a really good book it does not stand out much from other paranormal romance novels. The dystopian setting is a little bit different. I was actually quite hesitant before picking this up because with dystopians I am either for it or against it. Luckily with this novel it was perfect blend. ( )
  monsterofbooks | Jul 6, 2013 |
Bleh. I don't know how this book made me feel. When I started this book and was introduced to the dystopian world of human cattle and Vampire overlords I just had two things in mind -- [b:The Morganville Vampires|6571723|The Morganville Vampires, Volume 1 (The Morganville Vampires, #1-2)|Rachel Caine|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1292614318s/6571723.jpg|6764805] and [b:The Immortal Rules|10215349|The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)|Julie Kagawa|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1323357921s/10215349.jpg|15114912]; which I definitely think is not a good sign. The story was quite different from these books but still it felt utterly unoriginal.

It was not a horrible book. It did not make me want to tear my hair apart and break something hard. It was, in all notions, a formula book. And the thing about such books is that they usually work. But it also makes them highly predictable - and that is what happened with Darkness Before Dawn for me. I wasn't sucked into the fictional world because I knew what to expect from it. And that sort of ruined the whole book for me.

The other turn-off was the dialogue. It was cheesy to the point of being mice-infested. I wanted to see more of the creepy side of Lord Valentine but sadly he couldn't live up to the evil vampire overlord image. It was exactly what a YA novel 'should' be - cheesy romance, unnecessary love triangle, sadistic hero who gets off of pushing the heroin away 'for her own good', a excited best friend and of course a heroin who has faced so many dilemmas in her life and yet has come out strong and brave. Sorry, but this whole formula book didn't work for me.

It was not among the worst books I have read but it was not memorable. I was torn whether to give it 3 stars or 2. What sealed the deal for me was that I am not going to continue with the series because I know what to expect from it and I am simply not that interested. ( )
  shayanasha | Apr 5, 2013 |

When seventeen-year-old Dawn Montgomery, daughter of the slain delegates to ruling vampire Lord Valentine, becomes the new delegate she finds herself falling in love with Valentine's kindhearted son, and risks her life when she is drawn into their dangerous political game.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible