Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness Before Dawn -…

Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness Before Dawn - Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by J. A. London

Member:DarkFaerieTales
Title:Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness Before Dawn - Trilogy)
Authors:J. A. London
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:***

Darkness Before Dawn by J. A. London

I won a signed copy of book through a massive internet giveaway and the following is my honest opinion for the book.

With the apparent glut of vampire stories currently out there and more seemingly appearing each day something has to give. One unique thing about this book is that it had been written by two individuals, and while this might not sound so it is when you consider it had been written by a mother and her son. While the mother, Rachel Hawthorne, has written several YA novels; her son, Alex London, is a recent History major college graduate enjoys creating new worlds based on Historical Fiction. The melding of these two individual seems to work well, however I believe a problem exists in elements of the storyline.

One of the elements is parts of the storyline seem to be overly contrived, such as high school still existing with the conflict which exists in the vampire dystopia the story takes place in. With the need to have a delegate to act as the go between humans and vampires, why would they select a mere teenager instead of a more mature adult?

Since the authors didn’t waste time staying on one particular scene in the storyline, the action is fast-spaced. Readers are continuously made to guess what will happen next with the tension being created as the readers make their way through the books pages. The addition of a love triangle seems to function, in my opinion, as a lure for the YA [Young Adult] audience.

Lastly, I found, the title, which should have caught a person’s eye and piqued their curiosity about the book to be flat. I wanted to give this book 3.5 STARS, but the rounding convention raises it to 4 STARS. ( )
  MyPenNameOnly | Apr 11, 2015 |
It was kind of slow at the beginning but the ending was really good. ( )
  PrescottKris | Jan 26, 2015 |
I was attracted to this book by (let's be honest) a great cover and the intriguing concept of humans living under vampire overlords. For all its promise, this book kinda fell flat for me. I felt the characters could have been better developed and the dystopian world the characters inhabited could have been fleshed out more. So, while interesting, this book didn't really live up to its potential and I'm not certain I will continue reading the series. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Oct 12, 2014 |
I checked this book out as an ebook from my library's ebook offerings, hoping for just a quick light read -- and so, based upon my expectations, I'm pretty satisfied with what I got.

Dawn is a teenager living in a dystopian future where, following the events of a long war, vampires have pretty much claimed dominion over humans, who now live sequestered in a handful of cities protected by large walls. An uneasy truce exists between the two species. In order to secure peace, humans must collaborate with the Old Families that rule over the vampires and voluntarily donate blood to them. In return, the Old Families prevent their vampire underlings from attacking and killing humans -- or at least they're supposed to, but there always seems to be attacks within the city and one of Dawn's responsibilities, as emissary of the humans, is to negotiate the terms and reinforcement of the peace treaty with Old Family vampire Valentine.

But things start getting complicated pretty fast. Dawn is young, really young, and even though her parents tried to teach her everything they knew before they died, the entire city doubts her ability to communicate effectively with the feared vampire leader. On top of that, there is a growing movement to cease donating blood to the vampires altogether -- an action which would have consequences that Dawn is horrified to think about. Her boyfriend has been growing distant, and one night, after an ill-advised trip out to a party after which she and her friend are nearly killed by some rogue vampires, she is saved by Victor -- a mysterious young man that she finds irresistible. But what secrets is he hiding?

I enjoyed reading about the politics of the VampHu treaty, and the way that society has developed to exist on such uneasy terms. Dawn was not the most lovable character, and was often quite annoying, but many of the side characters were interesting if sometimes a bit shallow. I liked Victor very much, and Sin -- who appears later on -- was also fun to read. The writing was so-so: passable for a quick read like this despite some shaky dialogue and lacking good description.

The action carries the story along at a brisk pace and there are many questions left unanswered by the end. I'll be reading the next book immediately to find out what happens. ( )
  vombatiformes | Apr 8, 2014 |
MEHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Review to come. ( )
  seekayou | Aug 20, 2013 |

When seventeen-year-old Dawn Montgomery, daughter of the slain delegates to ruling vampire Lord Valentine, becomes the new delegate she finds herself falling in love with Valentine's kindhearted son, and risks her life when she is drawn into their dangerous political game.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,414,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible