Dog Trots Globe - To Paris & Provence (A…

Dog Trots Globe - To Paris & Provence (A Sheltie Goes to France) (edition 2011)

by Sheron Long

Member:michrym
Title:Dog Trots Globe - To Paris & Provence (A Sheltie Goes to France)
Authors:Sheron Long
Info:OIC Books (2011), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 160 pages
Collections:Ebooks
Rating:**
Tags:Travel Essay

Dog Trots Globe - To Paris & Provence (A Sheltie Goes to France) by Sheron Long

A Dog's Life by Peter Mayle (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: not nearly as good, but the story of a story told by a dog in Provence

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Dog Trots Globe - To Paris & Provence by Sheron Long is written from the viewpoint of her Sheltie Chula. The book comes off more as a short commentary on the different places in Paris rather than the story from the view of a dog. This would be a great book for an early French class to read to get an idea of the culture. But, it doesn't fit in the youth genre where I expected it to fit. The title gives the impression of something a 10 year old would enjoy reading. It's not. If you want to read about a dog in Paris, read something else. If you want to learn a little about Paris in a short book, this will work for you.

Disclaimer: This book was received as an Early Review on LibraryThing. ( )
  debdebtig | Feb 3, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I requested this book on Early Reviewers mainly because of it was about France (where I live) rather than because of any particular liking for dogs. It is a sort of travelogue of the American authors' visit to Paris and Provence, written as if from the point of view of their dog Chula. Fortunately, the authors managed to avoid too much tweeness, though the title page does say 'as barked by...'. The book is mainly pictorial, with photos and some cartoons and brief text - in fact I read the whole thing in about 20 minutes or less. The authors and their dog (when allowed in) visit the kind of places you might think - the Eiffel tower, cafes and museums in Paris, and local markets, lavender fields and the sheep transhumance in Provence, but from the dog's point of view there is a bit more than a human guide would have on smells, low level views etc. The book ends with guidance on how to take your dog with you from the US to France, and there is also a website with other material and links.

As I do not possess an ipad I read this book online. This worked reasonably well, though it was rather fiddly to try to get the page at a decent size to read but whilst still showing the whole of a page.

It was quite a fun little read, though I suspect I would have been somewhat disappointed if I had actually paid for it. ( )
  fancett | Jan 24, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This review is a little late in coming because I was away in November - visiting Paris! This is a cute little book which definitely brings out the feeling of Paris and I enjoyed the photos and little commentaries. Unfortunately, I found there was very little substance. Not exactly a travel memoir, not exactly a tourist guide, not exactly a 'traveling with pets' guide, but a little of each. While enjoyable for pet lovers, this could have been so much more. ( )
  joanslib | Jan 10, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an adorable book that any dog lover or Paris enthusiast would love. The pictures were wonderful and the drawings were charming. Unfortunately I couldn't get the videos to work with my tablet but was able to view them online. This is a book that I will be rereading in the future. ( )
  cat3crazy | Dec 26, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an adorable little book representing an online trip journal kept by a 9-year-old sheltie named Chula, who is (apparently) also a good photographer. It is very similar to the travel blog that I create for myself - narrative interspersed with captioned photos, arranged day by day. There are also 4 videos, including a slideshow accompanied by a French song adapted (with new words) for the scrapbook and three actual videos: one with narration, one accompanied by sheep bells, and one of the Eiffel Tower doing its nightly light show. The daily entries cover arrival, accommodations, food, dining, festivals, markets, day trips to mountains and villages, the occasional run-in with other dogs, cats, and farm animals, and a final departure form Paris (a city with many "no dogs here" signs). Navigation is easy, though I never could manage to download it to my iPad, and instead worked with the online version. The narrative is simple and not overly cute, and there are quite a few travel tips and facts shared along the way. The photographs are very good, and are the kind you would expect tourists to take, rather than being "art shots". The quality of the sound and video is also very good - though not tested over wifi. There is a section at the end full of practical tips on travelling with dogs. I think the main audience for this would be either children interested in dogs, children on a family visit to France, and travellers who want to know what travelling with a dog in France will be like. And, of course, other dogs.
  candyschwartz | Nov 28, 2012 |
To good husbands and good dogs
A Sheltie Goes to France!

Chula, whose name means "pretty" in Spanish, set off for France with a smile.
Did you know they call the tower the "Iron Lady"? Hmm. Isn't that Margaret Thatched called that, too? Frankly, they don't look anything alike to me. For one thing, Maggie has two legs, and the Parisian Iron Lady has four on the floor, like me.
The French have the right respect for dogs--in France we chiens get to go to lunch and dinner anytime, anywhere.
Ears back, tail up! I got to show off the white tip on the end of my tail. It's the flag that all Shelties are proud of.
I hated to hound the guy at the sausage table, but I wanted to learn the difference between saucisson à l'âne, donkey sausage, and saucisson du taureau, bull sausage. That donkey stuff tastes, well, just a little different.

Sheron Long is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

OIC Books

An edition of this book was published by OIC Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Dog Trots Globe—To Paris & Provence by Sheron Long was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,115,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible