A Night Like This by Julia Quinn

A Night Like This (edition 2012)

by Julia Quinn

Member:shadiphoenix
Title:A Night Like This
Authors:Julia Quinn
Info:Avon (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Historical Romance

A Night Like This by Julia Quinn

An OK Julia Quinn is still a pretty entertaining read and that's what this was. I admit that I'm not the biggest fan of Earl and the Governess stories. It's too much of a power imbalance for me. But with a Julia Quinn confection it's never too bleak. I liked Anne but felt that Daniel was a bit careless of the position he was putting her into. Still, it was an engaging read and the interactions, particularly with Anne's young charges, was quite entertaining. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
Very fun book. Anne is working as a governess to three young ladies. It's not the life she thought she'd have, but it is certainly interesting. It gets more interesting with the arrival of the Earl of Winstead. After spending the last three years exiled from England he's really glad to be home, even more so after seeing the beautiful Anne. He's determined to pursue her but somebody wants him dead and that danger spills over onto her.

I really liked both Anne and Daniel. Eight years earlier Anne, at the age of sixteen, Anne had fallen for a young man in a local family. Thinking he was going to propose she gave herself to him, only to find out he was engaged to someone else. When he accosted her at a local event she cut his face while trying to defend herself. In order to protect her family her father made her change her name and become a companion to an old lady far from home, refusing to allow her any contact with her family. Then she became a governess, always worried about her reputation and her safety. When she meets Daniel she is drawn to him but knows that there is too big a difference in their stations for anything good to happen between them. She can't escape him as he uses his relationship to her charges to find a way to be with her whenever possible. She began to fall for him as she got to know him and also see the love he has for his family. When something from her past puts her in danger it is Daniel she ends up going to for help. I really liked seeing the changes that her love for Daniel made in her. His love for her gave her the courage that she needed at the end to protect herself.

Daniel found himself participating in a duel with a friend. He never quite understood how their card game ended up that way and never meant to injure his friend. That friend's father threatened to kill Daniel afterward, so he ended up spending three years wandering Europe, trying to stay ahead of the people sent to harm him. Daniel was thrilled when Hugh came to find him and tell him it was safe to come home. One of the first things that happened when he got home was seeing a beautiful woman at his family's musicale. Daniel was immediately smitten with her. He didn't care that she was a governess or that her family was lower than his. He was determined to overcome her resistance, even to the point of hanging out with his young cousins. I loved seeing him participate in their activities just so he could be close to Anne. I also liked seeing his protectiveness, both in London and in the country. Daniel showed the changes in his maturity between the beginning and the end. Seeing him go from that slightly irresponsible young man to the one who cared for his family, watched over his estates and people, and protected the woman he loved was very satisfying.

I always love the humor in Julia Quinn's books. The Smythe-Smith musicales are a great frame for this family. It's obvious that there is plenty of love shared among them all and that love extends to others. The three girls that Anne is governess to were so much fun to read about. There was so much about them that made me feel like they were real people, from their squabbles among themselves to the expressions of their imaginations. There were also some great conversations between Anne and Daniel that were fun and flirty. I really liked the way that she had some pretty good comebacks when he'd get carried away. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Nov 4, 2013 |
Another cute but slight book from JQ World. Now that all the Bridgertons are married off, we're following the destinies of the Smith-Smythes, heretofore known primarily for their execrable musicales.

Daniel Smith-Smythe, Earl of Winstead, returns from three years on the Continent and is immediately gob-smacked by his cousins' governess Anne Wynter. Daniel is quite adorable, and his growing obsession with Anne is funny and touching at the same time. Anne has a secret past and is completely unsuitable to become an earl's wife. Thus, it's surprising how little consternation there is from Daniel's mother when he announces his plan to marry Anne.

The revenge plots (yes, there are two of them) are rather over-the-top, but Quinn delivers humor-within-drama (or perhaps drama-within-humor) when Daniel and his compadres, Hugh and Marcus, charge off to rescue the heroine. We've already had Marcus's story in the first book, but I was quite intrigued by Hugh and hope Quinn plans to write one about him.

LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
Another light read from Quinn. It was enjoyable, but not as much as Just Like Heaven, the first Smythe-Smith novel.

I did laugh out loud several times. Anne's young charges and their antics had me in stitches. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
Read my full review on my blog: http://authorjanebnight.wordpress.com/2013/06/30/review-of-a-night-like-this/

I didn’t dislike this book quite enough to not finish it but I certainly didn’t like it enough to read again or to recommend to anyone else.

This is the second Julia Quinn novel I have read and the other wasn’t very exciting either.

Stylistically, I do like her and even “A Night Like This.” It is humorous and there is plenty of conversation and little extraneous details which annoy me in some romance.

I also liked the girls Anne was governess to. They were fun and the novel would have been AWFUL without them.

Now, here are my complaints.

Firstly, the beginning of the novel focuses on a duel between Daniel and his best friend. Daniel slips in the mud and accidentally cripples his best friend. Daniel then runs into exile so that his friends father doesn’t murder him. This does not help me to like Daniel very much and it made for a slow start of the novel. The scene might have been better off played as a flashback.

Daniel is never a very interesting character. He comes back from exile and meets Anne. He falls for her immediately and has no concerns whatsoever that she is very beneath his station (he is an Earl).

Anne is odd. I didn’t really like her much either. She is a mostly helpless woman who is running from her past.
  authorjanebnight | Jun 30, 2013 |
For Jana, one of the strongest people I know.

And also for Paul, even though I still don't understand why anyone might need seven sleeping bags.
Prologue: "Winstead, you bloody cheat!"
Chapter 1: For a lady who had spent the last eight years trying not to be noticed, Anne Wynter was in an awkward position.

Anne Wynter might not be who she says she is...

But she's managing quite well as a governess to three highborn young ladies. Her job can be a challenge—in a single week she finds herself hiding in a closet full of tubas, playing an evil queen in a play that might be a tragedy (or might be a comedy—no one is sure), and tending to the wounds of the oh-so-dashing Earl of Winstead. After years of dodging unwanted advances, he's the first man who has truly tempted her, and it's getting harder and harder to remind herself that a governess has no business flirting with a nobleman.

Daniel Smythe-Smith Might be in mortal danger...

But that's not going to stop the young earl from falling in love. And when he spies a mysterious woman at his family's annual musicale, he vows to pursue her, even if that means spending his days with a ten-year-old who thinks she's a unicorn. But Daniel has an enemy, one who has vowed to see him dead. And when Anne is thrown into peril, he will stop at nothing to ensure their happy ending....

Anne Wynter, a governess with some dark secrets in her past, is tempted by the dangerously handsome Daniel Smith-Smythe, Earl of Winstead, who relentlessly pursues her despite her social station.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,700,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible