A Night Like This by Julia Quinn

A Night Like This (edition 2012)

by Julia Quinn

Member:shadiphoenix
Title:A Night Like This
Authors:Julia Quinn
Info:Avon (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Historical Romance

A Night Like This by Julia Quinn

Wow. I was so surprised I didn't like this. Just to check if I was merely in a bad or off reading mood, I paused for a bit from reading this and re-read a bit of "The Duke and I". It enchanted me, just as it did before, and reminded me why I loved JQ. Then I went back to this Smythe-Smith book. Blegh. The writing isn't as tight. The dialogue is more like filler chatter than anything particularly witty. The best line of the book was something about having a misunderstanding with an anvil. After that I was going "Blah, blah, blah, get on with it! C'mon, something happen!"

The bad guy felt like a one-dimensional character. And the girl's reactions didn't make sense. After your life gets ruined because of [that spoilerish thing that happened], shouldn't you be a little wary when a similar situation arises, even if it's with the hero of the book? And her young charges weren't delightful, unlike, say, the dynamic among the Bridgertons. Sadly, that series is going to remain my benchmark. And the Smythe-Smiths pale in comparison. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
My, this one took forever to get through. Like I abandoned it for three days because I was bored with it. The main characters were nice but downright generic which was sad for me because I really wanted to like Daniel, the exiled brother who had returned yet most of the time I found him much too... optimistic. Their banter tended to drag on and on. Every subject was so random. I mean the eye color debate/conversation? My eyes. They're rolling.

The references to the abominable Smythe-Smith musicales are the best.

What did I really like? Hugh. Sign me up for the fan club. I cannot wait for book 3 and see him center stage. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
Right off the bat, Julia Quinn is signaling to all of her fans and new readers alike: here’s the story to make you laugh out loud and take your worries away for a bit!

Daniel Smythe-Smith, Earl of Winstead, is finally home from abroad and all that have known him are in for a surprise, as he is a much changed man, yet he still has his wonderful sense of humor which the heroine brings up in him through their many, many encounters and through Ms. Quinn’s talent in writing the witty and entertaining dialogue.

Anne Wynter is a governess to Daniel’s cousins, and it only takes one look for him to fall in love with her, but a lady is not convinced it is a proper thing for either of them. She has a past that is about to catch up to her and is sure once it does, her life will never be what she yearns for it to be.

‘A Night Like This’ will be one of those books .....and for the rest of my review please visit us at

Mel

*Copy provided by AVON publisher through Edelweiss* ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
A Night Like This
3.5 Stars

Likeable characters but is missing the wit and charm of Quinn's other books and the plot is too drawn out at the beginning.

The first 1/3 is boring. The interminable scenes with the Pleinsworth girls are excessively long and add nothing to plot or characterization. Thankfully, things begin to liven up when Anne's big secret comes back to haunt her.

The suspense plot is well-developed and intense, and the villain truly despicable - this is what saved the book for me. The story from this point is darker in tone than Quinn's other books (it shares some similarities with An Offer from A Gentleman but is much harsher).

Anne is a strong and admirable heroine. Her traumatic past and the descriptions of how she suffered and coped over the years are heartbreaking at times.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Daniel. It is never a good thing when you prefer a secondary character over the hero and Hugh is for more intriguing. Daniel's immediate and all encompassing infatuation with Anne is unrealistic and his stalker-like tendencies are potentially disturbing as is his disregard for the consequences Anne faces if they should be caught. He is, however, somewhat charming, patient and loyal which softens the more annoying aspects of his personality.

All in all, the book is a little disappointing but the suspense plot and the exciting climax make it a worthwhile read. Looks like Hugh's book is next and I'm salivating already. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
This book pretty much started where the first book ended. I've been enjoying these characters, they have depth and are actually funny. Julia has a knack for drawing in the reader to the story and making the reader like the characters. I want the story to continue as I'm sure it will. Looking forward to the next installment. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |

Julia Quinnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Landor, RosalindReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bozai Ágotasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
HarperAudioPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jana, one of the strongest people I know.

And also for Paul, even though I still don't understand why anyone might need seven sleeping bags.
Prologue: "Winstead, you bloody cheat!"
Chapter 1: For a lady who had spent the last eight years trying not to be noticed, Anne Wynter was in an awkward position.

Anne Wynter might not be who she says she is...

But she's managing quite well as a governess to three highborn young ladies. Her job can be a challenge—in a single week she finds herself hiding in a closet full of tubas, playing an evil queen in a play that might be a tragedy (or might be a comedy—no one is sure), and tending to the wounds of the oh-so-dashing Earl of Winstead. After years of dodging unwanted advances, he's the first man who has truly tempted her, and it's getting harder and harder to remind herself that a governess has no business flirting with a nobleman.

Daniel Smythe-Smith Might be in mortal danger...

But that's not going to stop the young earl from falling in love. And when he spies a mysterious woman at his family's annual musicale, he vows to pursue her, even if that means spending his days with a ten-year-old who thinks she's a unicorn. But Daniel has an enemy, one who has vowed to see him dead. And when Anne is thrown into peril, he will stop at nothing to ensure their happy ending....

Anne Wynter, a governess with some dark secrets in her past, is tempted by the dangerously handsome Daniel Smith-Smythe, Earl of Winstead, who relentlessly pursues her despite her social station.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,201,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible