A Night Like This by Julia Quinn

A Night Like This (edition 2012)

by Julia Quinn

Collections:Your library, Historical Romance

A Night Like This by Julia Quinn

A Night Like This
3.5 Stars

Likeable characters but is missing the wit and charm of Quinn's other books and the plot is too drawn out at the beginning.

The first 1/3 is boring. The interminable scenes with the Pleinsworth girls are excessively long and add nothing to plot or characterization. Thankfully, things begin to liven up when Anne's big secret comes back to haunt her.

The suspense plot is well-developed and intense, and the villain truly despicable - this is what saved the book for me. The story from this point is darker in tone than Quinn's other books (it shares some similarities with An Offer from A Gentleman but is much harsher).

Anne is a strong and admirable heroine. Her traumatic past and the descriptions of how she suffered and coped over the years are heartbreaking at times.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Daniel. It is never a good thing when you prefer a secondary character over the hero and Hugh is for more intriguing. Daniel's immediate and all encompassing infatuation with Anne is unrealistic and his stalker-like tendencies are potentially disturbing as is his disregard for the consequences Anne faces if they should be caught. He is, however, somewhat charming, patient and loyal which softens the more annoying aspects of his personality.

All in all, the book is a little disappointing but the suspense plot and the exciting climax make it a worthwhile read. Looks like Hugh's book is next and I'm salivating already. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
"5 out of 5 stars! This is hilariously energetic novel keeps you on your toes while encouraging you to fall in love with its compelling cast of characters! I loved Daniel & Anne!"

Read more of this review and two teasers here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2013/04/idolizing-in-smythe-smith-quar... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
[October 28, 2011] I don't get what happened to her writing but it’s missing something essential, she lost her touch, her last books were disastrous! The first book of this series disappointed me a lot. I'm a huge fan so I will give this book a chance but if I get disappointed again, it will be my last Quinn. I LOVE her other books too much to hate her new books.

[Saturday, ‎January ‎4, ‎2014] I got to say, I do my best reading while I'm sick. I've reached half this book today, I had it for a while, but I haven't felt encouraged to read it... Now, I'm glad I am. It's so funny and sweet so far and very romantic, oh and I adore the Pleinsworth girls especially Harriet Pleinsworth writes plays and Frances Pleinsworth the one who wants to be a unicorn. They made me laugh SO much. This novel had the feeling of Quinn's older works, you know, the delightful, funny romantic story filled with amazing supportive characters. Won't stop reading until I know how it ends.

[Monday, ‎January ‎6, ‎2014] Oh this book made me laugh SO hard! Some parts just made me wake the whole house up at 2 am! And the ending was perfect! What's better than seeing the 4 Smyth-Smith girl playing music with angry Sarah?! Priceless! I can't wait to receive the next book in the series! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
another witty romance by miss quinn with a lil intrigue. ( )
  kdf_333 | Jan 16, 2016 |

Julia Quinnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalindReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bozai Ágotasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
HarperAudioPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jana, one of the strongest people I know.

And also for Paul, even though I still don't understand why anyone might need seven sleeping bags.
Prologue: "Winstead, you bloody cheat!"
Chapter 1: For a lady who had spent the last eight years trying not to be noticed, Anne Wynter was in an awkward position.

Anne Wynter might not be who she says she is...

But she's managing quite well as a governess to three highborn young ladies. Her job can be a challenge—in a single week she finds herself hiding in a closet full of tubas, playing an evil queen in a play that might be a tragedy (or might be a comedy—no one is sure), and tending to the wounds of the oh-so-dashing Earl of Winstead. After years of dodging unwanted advances, he's the first man who has truly tempted her, and it's getting harder and harder to remind herself that a governess has no business flirting with a nobleman.

Daniel Smythe-Smith Might be in mortal danger...

But that's not going to stop the young earl from falling in love. And when he spies a mysterious woman at his family's annual musicale, he vows to pursue her, even if that means spending his days with a ten-year-old who thinks she's a unicorn. But Daniel has an enemy, one who has vowed to see him dead. And when Anne is thrown into peril, he will stop at nothing to ensure their happy ending....

Anne Wynter, a governess with some dark secrets in her past, is tempted by the dangerously handsome Daniel Smith-Smythe, Earl of Winstead, who relentlessly pursues her despite her social station.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,868,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible