Understanding Music by Jeremy Yudkin

Understanding Music (2005)

by Jeremy Yudkin

49None238,224 (3.5)None

No reviews
Music is the expression of the deepest part of our souls. It expresses what words and paintings cannot. And for true understanding, music requires careful attention and the engagement of the intellect ... J.Y.
For M and D, and K, d, and s.
Preface Nowadays there is more music in our lives than at any previous time in history. Music surrounds us as we buy food or clothes, drive our cars, sit in the park, or jog down the street. Much of this is our own choice: we have radios in our cars, portable cassette players on our belts. Some of it may be unwanted: our neighbor's stereo, for example, or the "boom box" on the beach. Some of it we actually do not notice. There is so much noise in our daily environment that the music playing in elevators or stores sometimes simply merges with the surroundings.

For undergraduate-level courses in Music Appreciation. Understanding Music teaches students what to listen for in music. Jeremy Yudkin's text is a rich music appreciation program that supports the instructor's ultimate goal of teaching active listening. By focusing on music of the Western tradition in its social, historical, and global context, this text engages students in an active listening experience of music through a lively narrative text and innovative activities-all supported by accompanying CD recordings, listening guides, a new Inside The Orchestra video and CD-ROM, and a new student listening notebook: MusicNotes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:14 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,076,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible