The Saint (Highland Guard Novel - Book 5) by…

The Saint (Highland Guard Novel - Book 5)

by Monica McCarty

552213,001 (4)1
Member:Dotland101
Title:The Saint (Highland Guard Novel - Book 5)
Authors:Monica McCarty
Info:Ballantine Books (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:5/10, Have & Read

The Saint by Monica McCarty

I don't know what to say about this book without repeating myself (if you read all of my other reviews about the Highland Guard Series, you know what I'm saying)...
Monica McCarty is one of my favorite authors and still she manages to make me "love" her more with each new book. I have a few favorites among them (The Chief, The Viper) and this is one of them. Each character is well defined, built not only based on true historical facts but from a wonderful and powerful imagination.
In here we found a strong, powerful and trustworthy warrior. Magnus MacKay struggles with his passions and beliefs as well as a sense of betrayal that only make him more 'likeable'. It is the Highland way, to put honor and the clan first and in here we can see what the feuds did to the clans (even if this romance is fictional).
Still waters run deep and that's all I have to say about Magnus.
As for Helen, well, she was a woman and I believe that it was hard to be one in those days. She is strong, faithful and resourceful, she isn't a lady in need of rescue. I believe that they made a great pair.
In this book we learn more about the Highland Guard and they 'modus operandi', there is more battle and action scenes as well.
This is a must read. ( )
  Lost_Lenore | Jul 20, 2013 |

The review that follow is a partial review. To read the full review, please visit TBQ's Book Palace!
~*~*~*~*~
Already a devoted fan (scratch that: obsessive fan) of Highlanders, especially in my romance novels, it should come as no surprise that The Saint is a top contender for my favorite book of this year. But not all Highland romances are the same, and it takes a special, and very talented author, to create not only a hero for the reader to fall in love with, but also a whole cast of other characters for the reader to enjoy and connect with. Monica McCarty is such an author, and while The Saint is only my second journey into her work, I can promise you one thing—it will not be my last!

Helen de Moray is just the sort of heroine that I enjoy reading about—and wish that I could be. She's not only beautiful (perhaps not classically, but who cares?), but also very strong and determined, she cares about her family, and she works hard, especially doing what she loves (healing). She's not one of those heroines that whine all day; she's not one to complain when things get tough.

And, as she is soon to find out with Magnus “Saint” McKay, passion runs through her veins and she's been waiting for that one person to offer her what she's been missing in life--”more”. More love, more passion, more adventure; Magnus can fulfill all of those wishes and more for her.

Part of the secret Highland Guard, Magnus has always been teased by his fellow brethren for being so pure (not turning to woman and drink during times of celebration or relaxation). But they don't know that he's already found the woman of his dreams—and she turned him down. His pride hurt, he turned away from her, joined the Guard, and never looked back. Though he still thinks of Helen, the fiery lass he fell in love with when they were both younger, he's never tried to talk to her, to tell her how he felt—how he still feels. But when William, his Guard partner, goes home to marry Helen, Magnus finds that he is torn—between loyalty to his friend and love for his Helen.

Stubborn pride gets in his way again, and Helen goes through with the marriage, thinking that Magnus has no feelings for her. Soon after, she realizes her mistake—she sees the way he still looks at her, the longing and love in his eyes...and the tick beneath them that means he is lying. How can she stay married to William when her heart belongs to his friend? Various events lead to Helen become a widow only a few weeks after her wedding. But even then, Magnus won't come near her. It's almost like he blames her for something...or perhaps blames himself for something he had to do? Helen's determined to win his heart back though, and she will stop at nothing—even if it means crawling into his bed naked one night...

I loved Saint! From page one, he had my attention, and within a few short chapters he had stolen my heart just as easily as he stole Helen's. Saint (as he shall always be known as to me) was not only an extremely sexy man, but also one with a lot of heart and courage, strength and honor, loyalty and pride. He was a bit flawed—he wasn't perfect, and his relationship with Helen was truly messed up for the longest time, which lead to a great deal of heartache and pain on both of their parts. But it was partly because of all these things that I fell for him. I would have pushed Helen out of the way in an instant to take her spot! But I know how wonderful they are together, how much they belonged together, so I'll just quietly lust for him from afar instead!

As much as I loved Saint, he wasn't the only character that I liked. Helen, as I mentioned before, was a great heroine, both a perfect match for Saint as well as a good woman that I could respect and relate to as well. But then there were also a few of the secondary characters—from Helen's brothers to her friend and fellow healer Muriel, to the great King of Scotland, I enjoyed reading about them all, and look forward to reading more of their stories in other books (ie: the rest of the Highland Guard). McCarty did a wonderful job at creating vivid characters for the reader, and I loved the sideline romance we had in this one as well, between Will (Helen's oldest brother) and Muriel. In between panting for Saint, I was also rooting for them.

But perhaps the thing that I loved the most about The Saint is the writing. McCarty has a way with words, and every bit of her talent came through with this book!

....

~*~*~*~*~
This review is property of NightOwlReviews.com ( )
  The_Book_Queen | Apr 20, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345528409, Mass Market Paperback)

Robert the Bruce consolidates lands and loyalty in a bold war for Scotland’s independence, as his elite team of warriors, the Highland Guard, fight for king, country . . . and love.

Magnus MacKay is the ultimate Highlander: tough, proud, able to master any terrain and to best his enemies. Called “the Saint” for his refusal to discuss women, as well as for his cool and steady leadership, Magnus hides a painful truth. It isn’t virtue or piety that keeps him silent, but a wound of love and loss that cuts so deep he cannot bear to speak of it. But when the woman who refused him is betrothed to his friend and fellow Guardsman, Magnus is tested by love’s battle cry.

A wild and innocent beauty, Helen chose family duty over her desire for Magnus. Now the anger in his eyes mirrors the tormented regret in her heart. But as deadly subterfuge stalks the King and his Guard, Helen vows to right her youthful mistakes with a woman’s determined spirit. Still, Magnus harbors secrets and an iron will not to weaken to temptation—or heartache—again. But as danger looms, it’s the kiss not of a saint, but of a sinner, that can save them.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:22 -0400)

"Magnus MacKay is the ultimate Highlander: tough, proud, able to master any terrain and to best his enemies. Called 'the Saint' for his refusal to discuss women, as well as for his cool and steady leadership, Magnus hides a painful truth. It isn't virtue or piety that keeps him silent, but a wound of love and loss that cuts so deep he cannot bear to speak of it. But when the woman who refused him is betrothed to his friend and fellow Guardsman, Magnus is tested by love's battle cry. A wild and innocent beauty, Helen chose family duty over her desire for Magnus. Now the anger in his eyes mirrors the tormented regret in her heart. But as deadly subterfuge stalks the King and his Guard, Helen vows to right her youthful mistakes with a woman's determined spirit. Still, Magnus harbors secrets and an iron will not to weaken to temptation-- or heartache-- again. But as danger looms, it's the kiss not of a saint, but of a sinner, that can save them" -- p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,565,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible