Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech

Hate That Cat (2008)

by Sharon Creech

Jack is studying poetry again in school, and he continues to write poems reflecting his understanding of famous works and how they relate to his life.
  unsoluble | Feb 1, 2018 |
It's funny that both the cat and Jack hates each other. But because of the kitten that Jack adopted, they had a civil relationship in end. I enjoyed reading this book but I still prefer the Love That Dog than this. ( )
  fugou | Aug 14, 2017 |
This book is written as Jack’s diary. It has two main focuses. First, it is the story of Jack learning poetry. His diary entries are often framed around poetry lessons from his teacher. Second it is the story of how Jack changes during the school year. At first, Jack has a problem. He hates cats, because of the mean, black cat by his bus stop. After his teacher brings her kittens in for the class to see, he changes his mind about cats.

I did not like the style of this book. It is all just one BIG poem really. The story is told in a series of poems. It was a little hard to get all the poems’ meanings. I prefer books written in straightforward narrative style. ( )
  zekromyellow | Jun 26, 2016 |
She pulled it off again! My 14 yo son loves poetry because of Silverstein, Poe, and Creech. I do recommend you read [b:Love That Dog|53498|Love That Dog|Sharon Creech|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170425323s/53498.jpg|984829] first, though. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I would use this book during a poetry unit in 4th/5th grade. It is would be an easy read for those students. I would read it aloud with them sometimes, and have them read it independently too. I think the students would like this book since it is a light-hearted book, rather than a heavy chapter book. I would use this book to demonstrate alliteration/consonance, and onomatopoeia's. Students could do a writing activity afterwards and try to recreate Jack's style of writing. I would also use it to teach the concepts of poetry, since it encompasses so many of them. I would also use it to display a narrative poem, and use it as one of many mentor texts, when having students write a narrative poem. ( )
  ewhite06 | Apr 5, 2016 |

Room 204—Miss Stretchberry

September 12

I hate that cat
like a dog hates a rat
I said I hate that cat
like a dog hates a rat

Hate to see it in the morning
hate to see that
F A T black cat.

with a new twist for Jack's life
and more poems to love

Room 204—Miss Stretchberry

February 25

Today the fat black cat
up in the tree by the bus stop
dropped a nut on my head
thunk

sounds
silence
teacher
and cat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:38 -0400)

Jack is studying poetry again in school, and he continues to write poems reflecting his understanding of famous poems and how they relate to his life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,426,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible