Hate That Cat: A Novel by Sharon Creech

Hate That Cat: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Sharon Creech

Member:JanesList
Title:Hate That Cat: A Novel
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:HarperCollins (2008), Hardcover, 160 pages
Collections:Kids' Books
Rating:*****
Tags:kids

Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech (2008)

This book is a follow-up to Love That Dog, in which a young student named Jack narrates in free verse what is happening at school and his love hate relationship with poetry. This time he talks about despising a cat, who he actually turns out to like (surprise, surprise!) in the end! This book is a great read aloud book, and a great book to read as an introduction to poetry. ( )
  SimoneAlexis | Dec 12, 2014 |
(3.7)
  mshampson | Oct 23, 2014 |
I liked reading this book. It wasn't until I finished reading that I found out there was a previous book that correlated with this one. I realized that I enjoy reading books that are styled in a way that exemplifies the writer making journal entries. Seeing the progression of Jack's writing made me want to continue reading to find out what aspects he was improving on. One of the reasons why I enjoyed this book was because the main character, Jack, was portrayed in a believable way. Although he was obviously a younger student, readers could relate to his frustrations with writing and also his interests. For example, on page 85 Jack mentions feeling stupid because he doesn't know how he would be able to explain his thoughts and appreciations for this poem to others. As readers and writers, we can empathize with the struggle of not being able to find the right words or not being able to accurately represent our thoughts or ideas. Another reason why I enjoyed this book is because it pushed readers to think about the touch issues. This book also broadened the perspective that I had previously had about poems and writing. The interest in all of the different poets made me more interested in some of the poems that were included in the novel and why the author wrote them. Sometimes the author would mention difficult topics, like the death of a pet or when a pet runs away. Those who have experienced this mishap will be able to directly relate to the feelings expressed by Jack. Overall, I think the overall message or idea of this novel was to show the progression of a child writer who, initially, just stated his thoughts but then transitioned to writing poems. ( )
  nkwak1 | Oct 2, 2014 |
Following R's Summer Reading (1 of 3): assigned for the Summer before 4th Grade, she liked it despite expectations and A and I also thought it was great fun. It plunges the reader in without any preamble, and figuring out what's going on is half the pleasure. Apparently it is clearer to those having read the first book, but I liked that I hadn't.

The verse is inspired by influential poems, challenging but not ridiculous, and the actual verse stands up well even without knowing its inspiration well enough to see the borrowings. Some crucial stanzas are reprinted at the end, perhaps the author's intention for it to be used to capture the interest of grade school children.

In addition to the good use of poetry, the bit about Jack's mom being deaf is subtly done and adds another layer of appreciation for words and sounds. Probably worth seeking out Love that Dog. ( )
  elenchus | Aug 23, 2014 |
sequel to Love That Dog, kids journal told in verse ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Room 204 - Miss Stretchberry - September 12 - I hate that cat / like a dog hates a rat / I said I hate that cat / like a dog hates a rat

Jack

Room 204—Miss Stretchberry

February 25

Today the fat black cat
up in the tree by the bus stop
dropped a nut on my head
thunk

sounds
silence
teacher
and cat.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:05 -0400)

Jack is studying poetry again in school, and he continues to write poems reflecting his understanding of famous poems and how they relate to his life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,394,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible