Hate That Cat: A Novel by Sharon Creech

Hate That Cat: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Sharon Creech

Member:JanesList
Title:Hate That Cat: A Novel
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:HarperCollins (2008), Hardcover, 160 pages
Collections:Kids' Books
Rating:*****
Tags:kid's

Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech (2008)

This book is written as Jack’s diary. It has two main focuses. First, it is the story of Jack learning poetry. His diary entries are often framed around poetry lessons from his teacher. Second it is the story of how Jack changes during the school year. At first, Jack has a problem. He hates cats, because of the mean, black cat by his bus stop. After his teacher brings her kittens in for the class to see, he changes his mind about cats.

I did not like the style of this book. It is all just one BIG poem really. The story is told in a series of poems. It was a little hard to get all the poems’ meanings. I prefer books written in straightforward narrative style. ( )
  zekromyellow | Jun 26, 2016 |
She pulled it off again! My 14 yo son loves poetry because of Silverstein, Poe, and Creech. I do recommend you read [b:Love That Dog|53498|Love That Dog|Sharon Creech|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170425323s/53498.jpg|984829] first, though. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I would use this book during a poetry unit in 4th/5th grade. It is would be an easy read for those students. I would read it aloud with them sometimes, and have them read it independently too. I think the students would like this book since it is a light-hearted book, rather than a heavy chapter book. I would use this book to demonstrate alliteration/consonance, and onomatopoeia's. Students could do a writing activity afterwards and try to recreate Jack's style of writing. I would also use it to teach the concepts of poetry, since it encompasses so many of them. I would also use it to display a narrative poem, and use it as one of many mentor texts, when having students write a narrative poem. ( )
  ewhite06 | Apr 5, 2016 |
Cute style of poety for kids, fairly enjoyable ( )
  ShayLRoss | Mar 16, 2016 |
This is a sequel to the book Love That Dog. It has the same sweet feeing to it as the first one. This would be a great book to use for elementary age students as a an introduction to poetry. It is an easy and fast read. At the end of the book there is a section that contains al of the real poems that Jack reads. I think this book would pique the interest for some students and encourage them to check out some poetry.
  KristenNevala | Feb 6, 2016 |
Room 204 - Miss Stretchberry - September 12 - I hate that cat / like a dog hates a rat / I said I hate that cat / like a dog hates a rat

Jack

Room 204—Miss Stretchberry

February 25

Today the fat black cat
up in the tree by the bus stop
dropped a nut on my head
thunk

sounds
silence
teacher
and cat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:38 -0400)

Jack is studying poetry again in school, and he continues to write poems reflecting his understanding of famous poems and how they relate to his life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,391,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible