Hate That Cat: A Novel by Sharon Creech

Hate That Cat: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Sharon Creech

Member:JanesList
Title:Hate That Cat: A Novel
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:HarperCollins (2008), Hardcover, 160 pages
Collections:Kids' Books
Rating:*****
Tags:kids

Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech (2008)

Following R's Summer Reading (1 of 3): assigned for the Summer before 4th Grade, she liked it despite expectations and A and I also thought it was great fun. It plunges the reader in without any preamble, and figuring out what's going on is half the pleasure. Apparently it is clearer to those having read the first book, but I liked that I hadn't.

The verse is inspired by influential poems, challenging but not ridiculous, and the actual verse stands up well even without knowing its inspiration well enough to see the borrowings. Some crucial stanzas are reprinted at the end, perhaps the author's intention for it to be used to capture the interest of grade school children.

In addition to the good use of poetry, the bit about Jack's mom being deaf is subtly done and adds another layer of appreciation for words and sounds. Probably worth seeking out Love that Dog. ( )
  elenchus | Aug 23, 2014 |
sequel to Love That Dog, kids journal told in verse ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
A suitable follow-up to "Love that Dog." Written in the same format, with some of the same poems as before, but many new ones, too. Again, we get a glimpse into Jack's life when he becomes the reluctant (at first) owner of a kitten. We also learn that his mother is deaf. At first Jack doesn't want to talk about it, but the poems help him open up. He loves his mom, he loves Skitter McKitter, poetry, and he still loves that dog. ( )
  daatwood | Nov 21, 2013 |
Although I missed out on the first book, I found this book to be quite enjoyable. Great to use for discussing poetry. Its also a good book to show students how people deal with exceptionalities and how they live day to day. ( )
  rrobinson2 | Nov 20, 2013 |
Love this book! Another great one for grades 3-7 poetry/writing unit. About a boy writing in a classroom setting, written in a journal/free verse format. ( )
  Alyssa-Schoenborn | Sep 27, 2013 |
Room 204 - Miss Stretchberry - September 12 - I hate that cat / like a dog hates a rat / I said I hate that cat / like a dog hates a rat

Jack

Room 204—Miss Stretchberry

February 25

Today the fat black cat
up in the tree by the bus stop
dropped a nut on my head
thunk

sounds
silence
teacher
and cat.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:05 -0400)

Jack is studying poetry again in school, and he continues to write poems reflecting his understanding of famous poems and how they relate to his life.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,963,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible