Hate That Cat: A Novel by Sharon Creech

Hate That Cat: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Sharon Creech

Member:JanesList
Title:Hate That Cat: A Novel
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:HarperCollins (2008), Hardcover, 160 pages
Collections:Kids' Books
Rating:*****
Tags:kids

Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech (2008)

I would use this book during a poetry unit in 4th/5th grade. It is would be an easy read for those students. I would read it aloud with them sometimes, and have them read it independently too. I think the students would like this book since it is a light-hearted book, rather than a heavy chapter book. I would use this book to demonstrate alliteration/consonance, and onomatopoeia's. Students could do a writing activity afterwards and try to recreate Jack's style of writing. I would also use it to teach the concepts of poetry, since it encompasses so many of them. I would also use it to display a narrative poem, and use it as one of many mentor texts, when having students write a narrative poem. ( )
  ewhite06 | Apr 5, 2016 |
Cute style of poety for kids, fairly enjoyable ( )
  ShayLRoss | Mar 16, 2016 |
This is a sequel to the book Love That Dog. It has the same sweet feeing to it as the first one. This would be a great book to use for elementary age students as a an introduction to poetry. It is an easy and fast read. At the end of the book there is a section that contains al of the real poems that Jack reads. I think this book would pique the interest for some students and encourage them to check out some poetry.
  KristenNevala | Feb 6, 2016 |
Narrated by Scott Wolf. A sequel to "Love That Dog." Jack has Miss Stretchberry as a teacher again and through her teaching of poetry and his own writing, he finds an affinity for cats he didn't know he had. Scott Wolf nicely strikes the tone of a boy reluctant to expand his comfortable boundaries but who discovers that what's new isn't so bad after all. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I recently reread Love That Dog and liked it a little better the second time, but this one is incredible. I LOVE it! So I recommend it even if you thought that Love That Dog was just okay. Poignant, touching, a middle school English teacher's dream come true. I'm wanting to share this with ALL of my students and it won't even crush me if they hate it. I love it that much. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Room 204 - Miss Stretchberry - September 12 - I hate that cat / like a dog hates a rat / I said I hate that cat / like a dog hates a rat

Jack

Room 204—Miss Stretchberry

February 25

Today the fat black cat
up in the tree by the bus stop
dropped a nut on my head
thunk

sounds
silence
teacher
and cat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:38 -0400)

Jack is studying poetry again in school, and he continues to write poems reflecting his understanding of famous poems and how they relate to his life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,791,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible