Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech

Hate That Cat (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Sharon Creech

Member:p6rchk
Title:Hate That Cat
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:Scholastic (2010), Unknown Binding

Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech (2008)

Hate That Cat is told from the perspective of a elementary school boy as a practice in writing poetry, in the form of a kind of poetic journal written for his teacher. As a sequel to Love That Dog, Hate That Cat picks up right where Jack left off, in Mrs. Stretchberry's class, after he has lost his beloved yellow dog.

This book would be great for students to hear as they are learning about reading, listening to, and writing poetry. I think that kids would really relate to the struggles Jack has using the different elements of poetry as his teacher requests, and the frustration when someone, like Jack's Uncle Bill, tells us what is and isn't poetry. The book opens the door to poetry free verse, and juxtaposes it with the other poetic elements. I really enjoyed reading the poems that were mentioned in the book at the end of the poem, and relating my interpretation of them to what Jack thought about them.
  maryganderson | Sep 17, 2018 |
From the same author who wrote "Love That Dog", Creech delivers in this story written in verse. If you have a cat or ever had any sort of relationship with a cat you will love this book. Jack is older in this book but it's full of expression and a quick read. ( )
  norwaykate | Jul 18, 2018 |
This book was a joy to read! Like many novels in verse, it is a quick and easy read, with a lot of white space to help the story move along. Jack, the main character, tells the story of his hate for cats through poetry. There is no way a cat can compare with a pet dog, who met in the prequel to this, Love That Dog. We learn how that hatred turns to love when he receives a kitten from his parents. Jack's initial dislike for poetry lessens as we witness his incredible talent at writing a poem, often imitating famous poets in the process. The book will make you laugh and smile. Highly recommended, especially for reluctant readers. ( )
  gharhar | Jul 11, 2018 |
She's Got Books on Her Mind

First of all I did not know this was a sequel. The original summary is just talking about the main character, Jack, and what the story is going to be about in verse. You do get something ruined for you... If you want to read this book I recommend you read Love That Dog first.

I'm very happy I am finally writing a review on a verse book. It's been a while. I have never read a verse book for kids so this was a first for me. At first Jack talks about how he's in a new grade but with the same teacher and how this big mean cat is annoying him to no end. He even declares that he hates that cat. The story is told through journal and you get the sense that the teacher, Miss Stretchberry, is responding to what he says in the journal in two different ways:

1) She talks to him during class about his journal entry and he in turn writes a response to their talk in the journal.

2) She basically makes her whole lesson plan for his benefit.

She literally assigns every poem they discuss in the book about cats. I didn't realize how unrealistic that was until now. But, it's really not that big of a deal. The story is about Jack and cats so it wouldn't make sense for the author to deter from that theme. Also, I'm probably exaggerating. There were lots of poems that were regular poems that he transformed and made his own.

At first the verse was hard to get into. I forgot how weird and spacey it could be. A lot of how Jack wrote was very boyish and fast. It took a while but I started letting go and enjoying what poems Jack came up with. Jack would respond to the poems presented in class. The ones he made were basically almost all about cats or dogs. At the end you were shown the poems he took ideas from or the beat from to make his own. Some of my inspiration poem favorites are:

The Red Wheelbarrow

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

I guess I like William Carlos Williams work. This book has kind of made me want to adventure to find more poets and poems out there that entertain me or otherwise fill me with some type of emotion. And that's what this book is all about and should be all about.

Overall: Took a while to get into but I did enjoy the poems Jack created and the poems they were inspired from. I feel like children will enjoy this much more. It's a great way for them to discover verse. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
Jack is studying poetry again in school, and he continues to write poems reflecting his understanding of famous works and how they relate to his life.
  unsoluble | Feb 1, 2018 |

Room 204—Miss Stretchberry

September 12

I hate that cat
like a dog hates a rat
I said I hate that cat
like a dog hates a rat

Hate to see it in the morning
hate to see that
F A T black cat.

with a new twist for Jack's life
and more poems to love

Room 204—Miss Stretchberry

February 25

Today the fat black cat
up in the tree by the bus stop
dropped a nut on my head
thunk

sounds
silence
teacher
and cat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:38 -0400)

Jack is studying poetry again in school, and he continues to write poems reflecting his understanding of famous poems and how they relate to his life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,681,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible