The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, Book 3)…

The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, Book 3) (edition 2012)

by Pittacus Lore

Member:Jonna13
Title:The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, Book 3)
Authors:Pittacus Lore
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****

The Rise of Nine by Pittacus Lore

Number Four is the first Lorian to tell the story. He has been on the run his entire life with his Cepan (guide) moving him from town to town across the US. Four (John is his human name) hides in plain sight in small towns until life there becomes compromised in some way and then they move on. They end up in Paradise for longer than usual and it is there that Henri (the Cepan) begins to tell John what his life is really all about - how he was sent from Loric as the planet was consumed with 9 other children and the legacies of Lorian. These legacies are special talents that grow as the children mature and will be used to defend themselves and remake Loric in the future.

image from LibraryThing

Following a fiery explosion and the heart-breaking death of Henri, Four meets the next of his group, Six. She is completely different from Four - confident and in control of her legacies in a way he only wishes. Four, Six and Sam, a friend from Paradise, escape Paradise and hit the road. They find an abandoned house and heal and train and grow their abilities.

But, the unknown Mogadorians and Sam's missing father haunt them. As do the scars burned in their legs. Each time one of the original Garde is caught and killed by the Mogadorians, a scar is seared into their legs.

The story shifts a bit in the next book and more of the Garde are introduced - the story telling moves between the characters until they all end up in the penthouse apartment of Six at the top of the John Hancock building in Chicago. As the Garde gather and train and learn from one another more and more of the story comes out. It is their responsibility to carry on their legacy. But, at what cost? They are after all only children. All of them have lost their Cepan's and some have lost the chests of their Loric tools. But the end of this book the group is: Four, Six, Eight, Nine and Ten plus Sarah (Four's girlfriend) and Sam his friend.

image from LibraryThing

The story shifts as Five joins the Garde. He adds a layer of darkness and tension. Sam also is able to reunite with his Father who disappeared long ago - he was one of the Greeters who welcomed the Lorian spaceship to earth. I found this book harder to understand. The storytelling switches between characters - each using the first person. I was sometimes a bit confused by who was talking. The font is different for each - but not drastically. I found it distracting from the storyline.

I like parts of these - but get so tired of the teenage angst that is layered in these stories. They remind me of the Series of Unfortunate Events in that Pittacus Lore is also a character in the story. He is the one that Sam's father met on earth - but how can that be since only the children made it to the planet. Each book leaves unanswered questions. I am not sure how dedicated I am to stick with these though. It would be much easier to just wait and read them all at once... ( )
  kebets | Nov 1, 2014 |
This new addition to the “Lorien Legacies” series is even more action packed than the other books in the series. Pittacus Lore has done it again – hooking readers from the first page and leading us from one cliff hanger to another.

Read the rest of my review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2013/01/12/the-rise-of-nine-pittacus-lor... ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
3.5 stars. It was ok just not super good. I had a hard time following which character was speaking. That made it difficult to enjoy it completely. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Too many dream sequences by far. ( )
  hazysaffron | Apr 5, 2014 |
Hold on, my heart is still beating too fast, let me calm down and gather my thoughts...*inhale* WHY DOES THIS BOOK END AND MAKE ME WAIT FOR ANOTHER SEQUEL?! Since I have very little patience, I have been doing my best to work on that...BUT WHEN I READ A SERIES(such as this)AND I AM LEFT WITH AN ENDING THAT IS NOT AN ENDING MY ANY MEANS(such as the ending in this book)ALL MY EFFORT TOWARDS BEING PATIENT GOES OUT THE WINDOW!

Ok i'm done yelling ^.^ I don't know why, but I honestly thought this was going to be the last novel in the series...I obviously thought wrong and am extremely irritated by that fact. Not that I ever want any real good series to end but I wanted answers! Now I am only left with more questions and feel the way I do when i'm getting into a good episode/movie online but then the stupid video stops, saying "you have watched 72 min, please wait 56 min or upgrade to Premium blah blah blah"...IRRITATING! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! What did I go through all this for? To wait for another YEAR?! If that was the sort of reaction you were going for "Pittacus" then you, my friend, are a GENIUS! A genius that I would like to scream at and shake your hand at the same time.

Without trying to spoil anything, I absolutely HATED Sarah in THE POWER OF SIX but I am very happy now! Thank you for resolving the little particular issue...sorta...still a bit confused but no matter, I'm happy >.
For Lorien! (lol i'm such a geek) ( )
  CLovestoread | Jan 11, 2014 |
6A. Seriously?

Until the day I met John Smith, Number Four, I'd been on the run alone, hiding and fighting to stay alive.

Together, we are much more powerful. But it could only last so long before we had to separate to find the others. . . .

I went to Spain to find Seven, and I found even more, including a tenth member of the Garde who escaped from Lorien alive. Ella is younger than the rest of us, but just as brave. Now we're looking for the others—including John.

But so are they.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They caught me in New York—but I escaped.
I am Number Six.
They want to finish what they started.

But they'll have to fight us first.

The aliens must come together because their power is in numbers.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,025,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible