Sex of the Stars by Monique Proulx

Sex of the Stars

by Monique Proulx

Camille is an eleven-year-old girl facing several challenges: she's much smarter than her classmates and therefore finds it hard to gain acceptance, or the notice of Lucky Poitrais, whom she has a major crush on. And, her mother is dating her principal. Finally, her father has become a woman. Add a novelist with serious writer's block who believes the father (Marie-Pierre) is the key to writing a successful book and a radio researcher who is fascinated by Marie-Pierre. What we get is a great story...and a well written one. I felt as if I knew these characters and I wanted to know what would happen to each of them.

The author explores themes of identity through her characters. Are we always happiest when following our own path, even when it leads us away from our peers and family? What makes us who we are? What if we don't know who we really are? Such a thought-provoking read!

I found the ending a bit rushed, but otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed this book. ( )
  LynnB | Sep 7, 2015 |
I who live and die contemplate you, the stars.  The earth no longer holds the child she has carried.  Close to the gods in the night of a hundred veils my infinitesimal being joins to your vastness.  And I taste my share of eternity. -- Ptolemy (as translated by Marguerite Yourcenar)
So this is what making others suffer felt like: a kind of boredom, composed of torpor, morosity and a feeble ghost of guilt -- the guilt over feeling nothing, in fact -- a mixture of what was finally benign, and didn't prevent Gaby from appreciating the light's ochre density this autumn noon, or, alas, her stomach from rumbling.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,479,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible